Brewer Fanatic

2006 Draft Resource Thread

It's time to kick off Brewerfan.net's 2006 Draft Coverage. We're still building the default 2006 draft information, as the current draft information still defaults to 2005, but here is a link to review Brewerfan.net's top 30 draft-eligible prospects for 2006:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewDra...?draftId=4

Once the '06 draft info is the default draft page, you will be able to access the draft order, past year's draft picks, the DFE candidates for next spring, a breakdown of the scouting dep't. and the usual lengthy list of player profiles. Until then, most of that information will be provided here within this thread.

This thread will start providing the basics for next year's draft, providing the raw draft order and eventually updating the order as free agents are signed. We will remove the free agents name by name as they are signed or if they aren't offered arbitration (making them ineligible for draft-pick compensation). We will also provide the list of draft and follow candidates for next spring. The DFEs will have their own resource thread starting at hte beginning of next year so people can follow all of the candidates in one easy place.

2005 Draft:

Official Draft Pick Thread

Official Draft Signings Thread

Discussion, Rounds 1-4

Discussion, Rounds 5-9

Discussion, Rounds 10-19

Discussion, Rounds 20-29

Discussion, Rounds 30-50

Other Related Links:

Brewerfan.net '05 Draft Recap, '06 Draft Preview

Discussion: BA's Draft Report Cards

BA: Top-100 prep player commitments

Recent 2006 Draft Discussions:

Discussion: Early '06 rumblings

Top Summer Talent for '06

2006 Player Breakdowns

2006 Raw Draft Order:

The raw order is established by taking the reverse order of the standings from the previous seasons. The order does not alternate between leagues anymore. Tie-breakers are awarded to the team that finished with the worse record the previous season.

1. Royals (.346)

2. Rockies (.414)

3. Devil Rays (.414)

4. Pirates (.414)

5. Mariners (.426)

6. Tigers (.438)

7. Dodgers (.438)

8. Reds (.451)

9. Orioles (.457)

10. Giants (.463)

11. Diamondbacks (.475)

12. Rangers (.488)

13. Cubs (.488)

14. Blue Jays (.494)

15. Nationals (.500)

16. Brewers (.500)

17. Padres (.506)

18. Mets (.512)

19. Marlins (.512)

20. Twins (.512)

21. Phillies (.543)

22. Athletics (.543)

23. Astros (.549)

24. Braves (.556)

25. Indians (.574)

26. Angels (.586)

27. Red Sox (.586)

28. Yankees (.586)

29. White Sox (.611)

30. Cardinals (.617)

2005-06 DFE Candidates:

The Milwaukee Brewers retain the rights to the following players up until a week before next year's draft. Between the end of their collegiate season and the week before the draft is the window in which a player may sign. To learn more about the DFE process please visit this story: DFE Process

17. Timothy Smith, RF (Midland College, TX)

18. Zack Braddock, LHP (Chipola College, FL)

24. Michael Ramlow, LHP (Owens CC, OH)

25. Taylor Green, 2B (Cypress College, CA)

31. Patrick Murray, 1B (Santa Ana College, CA)

32. Spencer Pennington, LF (Alabama, medical redshirt fifth-year senior)

33. Jorge Core-Fernandez, RHP (Marshalltown CC, IA)

34. Brock Kjeldgaard, RHP (Indians Hills CC, IA)

35. Sebastien Vendette, RHP (Northeastern Oklahoma A&M, OK)

36. Stephen Barnes, RHP (Lake City CC, FL)

37. Christopher Hopkins, CF (Sierra College, CA)

39. Bradley Miller, SS (Cowley College, KS)

41. Jordan Lennerton, 1B (El Paso CC, TX)

42. Chris Copot, C (Lethbridge CC, Alberta, Canada, playing for Prairie Baseball Academy)

43. Kyle Eveland, 2B (College of the Canyons, CA)

44. George Washington, RF (Central Alabama JC)

45. Ulrich Snijders, C (St. Petersburg College, FL)

48. Frederick Lewis, LHP (Daytona Beach CC, FL)

50. Garrett Regan, OF (Lethbridge CC, Alberta, Canada, playing for Prairie Baseball Academy)

• 3 weeks later...

The list of the 2005-06 free agents, grouped by type, along with a description of the different free agent types courtesy of Jim Callis of Baseball America:

The Elias Sports Bureau compiles rankings of all major leaguers by position, based on their performance over the previous two seasons. If teams offer arbitration to a free agent and lose him to another club, they'll receive compensation if he's classified as a Type A (top 30 percent at his position), Type B (31-50 percent) or Type C (51-60 percent) player.

For a Type A player, the compensation is the signing team's first-round pick plus a supplemental first-rounder. For a Type B, it's the signing team's first-round choice. For a Type C, it's a supplemental second-rounder.

However, if the signing team picks in the upper half of the first round, that choice is protected and it loses its second-round selection instead. If a club signs multiple free agents within the same category, its earlier pick goes to the team which lost the higher-rated player. Also, Type C players who have been free agents in the past don't yield any compensation.

Teams have until Dec. 7 to offer arbitration to players, who have until Dec. 18 to accept.

Cubs sign Type A FA Scott Eyre

The Giants receive the Cubs' third round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Cubs sign Type A FA Bobby Howry

The Indians receive the Cubs' second-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Blue Jays sign Type A FA B.J. Ryan

The Orioles receive the Blue Jays second-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Mets sign Type A FA Billy Wagner

The Phillies receive the Mets first-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

A's sign Type B FA Esteban Loiaza

The Nationals receive the A's first-round pick.

Phillies sign Type C FA Abraham Nunez

The Cardinals receive a supplemental second-round pick.

Giants sign Type A FA Tim Worrell

The Diamondbacks receive the Giants' third-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Phillies sign Type A FA Tom Gordon

The Yankees receive the Phillies' first-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Yankees sign Type A FA Kyle Farnsworth

The Braves receive the Yankees second-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Dodgers sign Type A FA Rafael Furcal

The Braves receive the Dodgers' second-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Indians sign Type B FA Paul Byrd

The Angels receive the Indians' first-round pick.

Angels sign Type B FA Hector Carrasco

The Nationals receive the Angels' second-round pick.

Blue Jays sign Type A FA A.J. Burnett

The Marlins receive the Blue Jays' third-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Tigers sign Type A FA Todd Jones

The Marlins receive the Tigers' second-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Orioles sign Type A FA Ramon Hernandez

The Padres receive the Orioles' second-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Giants sign Type A FA Matt Morris

The Cardinals receive the Giants' second-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Dodgers sign Type A FA Bill Mueller

The Red Sox receive the Dodgers' third-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Royals sign Type C FA Scott Elarton

The Indians receive a supplemental second-round pick.

Cubs sign Type B FA Jacque Jones

The Twins receive the Cubs' fourth-round pick.

Yankees sign Type A FA Johnny Damon

The Red Sox receive the Yankees first-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

Rangers sign Type B FA Kevin Millwood

The Indians receive the Rangers second-round pick.

Angels sign Type A FA Jeff Weaver

The Dodgers receive the Angels first-round pick and a supplemental first-round pick.

With the signing of Jeff Weaver on 2/15/06, the only remaining free agent that would require draft-pick compensation, the 2006 draft order is now set. Here are the changes to the raw draft order:

First Round

18. Phillies (from Mets for Type A Billy Wagner)

21. Yankees (from Phillies for Type A Tom Gordon)

22. Nationals (from Athletics for Type B Esteban Loaiza)

25. Angels (from Indians for Type B Paul Byrd)

26. Dodgers (from Angels for Type A Jeff Weaver)

28. Red Sox (from Yankees for Type A Johnny Damon)

Supplemental First Round

31. Dodgers (for Type A Jeff Weaver)

32. Orioles (for Type A B.J. Ryan)

33. Giants (for Type A Scott Eyre)

34. Diamondbacks (for Type A Tim Worrell)

35. Padres (for Type A Ramon Hernandez)

36. Marlins (for Type A A.J. Burnett)

37. Phillies (for Wagner)

38. Braves (for Type A Kyle Farnsworth)

39. Indians (for Type A Bob Howry)

40. Red Sox (for Damon)

41. Yankees (for Gordon)

42. Cardinals (for Type A Matt Morris)

43. Braves (for Type A Rafael Furcal)

44. Red Sox (for Type A Bill Mueller)

Second Round

51. Braves (from Dodgers for Furcal)

53. Padres (from Orioles for Hernandez)

54. Cardinals (from Giants for Morris)

56. Indians (from Rangers for Millwood)

57. Indians (from Cubs for Howry)

58. Orioles (from Blue Jays for Ryan)

70. Nationals (from Angels for Type B Hector Carrasco)

72. Braves (from Yankees for Farnsworth)

Supplemental Second Round

75. Indians (for Type C Scott Elarton)

76. Cardinals (for Type C Abraham Nunez)

Third Round

83. Red Sox (from Dodgers for Mueller)

86. Diamondbacks (from Giants for Worrell)

89. Giants (from Cubs for Eyre)

90. Marlins (from Blue Jays for Burnett)

Fourth Round

119. Twins (from Cubs for Type B Jacque Jones)

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to point out that on top of receiving Gaby Hernandez, Travis Bowyer, Scott Tyler, Sergio Mitre, Renyel Pinto, Ricky Nolasco, Mike Jacobs, Yusmeiro Petit, Grant Psomas, Anibal Sanchez, Hanley Ramirez, Jesus Delgado, Harvey Garcia and a PTBNL from the Mets in the LoDuca trade, they have already receive two supplemental first-round picks as well as the Blue Jays' and Tigers' second-round picks in next year's draft. That follows a draft in which they had two extra first-rounders, two extra supplemental first-rounders and an additional second-round supplemental pick.

When in doubt, load up on prospects and see what sticks. Plus, it seems likely that they will be so bad next year that they likely will pick within the top 2-3 picks in '07. That could be their Beckett year (like 1999).

"Wow, if the Braves don't sign a FA they will have 6 picks in the 1st 2 rounds."

-------

My Cardinals were in that same situation last year. Had 4 first round picks(1st round and Supp 1st round) and 2 second round picks.

The Cardinals have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds this year:

First round

Supp 1st round(Morris)

2nd round(Morris, his value will probably be higher than Worrell's)

2nd round

Supp 2nd round(Nunez)

I updated the free agent signings thanks to Jim Callis' most recent AskBA column at Baseball America.

The Braves once again stand to add to their already strong farm system. The Red Sox have also done well for themself in regards to next year's draft. The Braves and Red Sox are the only teams to have more than one supplemental first-round pick.

With the Cubs signings, they will pick in the first-round yet not again until the 5th round. With a system that was already somewhat thinned when they dealt three pitching prospects for Juan Pierre, they don't stand to get stronger anytime soon unless they have some late-round magic.

Unless the Brewers get involved with Jeff Weaver, Rich Aurilia, Al Leiter or Kevin Millwood (which seems incredibly unlikely), they will retain all of their draft picks. Their first two selections will be the 16th and 61st overall picks at this point in time (if the Mets and D-Backs sign Pelfrey and Upton respectively, the Brewers' second-round pick would be the 59th overall selection).

With the Brewers not having to pay top 5 pick money this year, and our second pick falling to around 60, I think I'd like to see us use that second rounder to overpay for a HS player that has dropped b/c of a strong college commit. The Dodgers and Mariners do it every year, and get that lame warning from MLB about slot money. Any high ceiling HS players that jump out ? ( I know it's way early)

lovehate

I completely agree with the thought of using extra money to sign a talent in that situation with greater than slot money. I think, however, that there is no way the Brewers should/would use their second round pick for that. Personally, I'd hope they would wait until after the fifth to risk losing someone to a strong commit. If the money is right, the player likely won't care what round they've been selected in.

I would guess this thought depends on if the FO and MA consider the savings from picking 15 vs. picking 5, bonus-wise, to be "extra" or "disposable" income. I'd tend to think they would not, as we are--and need to be--budget conscious.

Jack Z and the scouts have done a great job signing our picks, though, and we have shown the willingness to spend if the situation is right (i.e. Pascual).

In short, likely? No. Posisble? Yes. Good point, nonetheless.

While I don't argue about the idea of trying to use some of the money "saved" by not having such an early pick on a player that had otherewise fallen, keep in mind that the Brewers have not paid more than slot value to any of their early picks since Jack Z. has been the scouting director. There have been some later round picks such as Tom Wilhelmsen, Steve Moss and even Lenny LeClercq that have received healthy bonuses relative to where they were drafted, but there hasn't been an instance of them taking someone like Tuiasosopo in the early rounds.

That doesn't mean they won't, and I should also be sure to point out that this doesn't mean the Brewers are cheap when it comes to the draft (which has been proven many times that they're not), I'm just pointing out that it seems like every year we hope the Brewers will sign a perceived tough sign to a big contract, and while they have almost every year, it's not quite to the scale or familiarity that we hoped for. I would guess with their statement signing in Pascual this past year, any saved money is a good bet to be spent on the Latin American free agent market.

I should point out that the Brewers may have a good chance to select either Max Scherzer or Ian Kennedy, both rumored Boras advisees, but the Brewers have had the opportunity to draft plenty of Boras advisees before choosing to pass each time. I guarantee you this will be a popular subject to discuss next spring, and my money would be the Brewers sticking with a player they know they can quickly sign for close to slot value. It is interesting to think about the possibilities of drafting one of the top 2-3 players available with the 16th overall pick though.

• 3 weeks later...
I just wanted to point out that the Brewers' second-round pick will either be the 59th or 60th overall selection now that Mike Pelfrey has reportedly signed with the Mets. Jeff Weaver is the only unsigned player remaining that will effect the draft order.

You know, even thoug the draft compensation thing might work out for us next year,I have to say that I am sick of the rich getting richer when teams like the Red Sox, Braves and Cardinals lose medium talent guys and load up on draft picks every year.

How is this system fair when the Brewers get two picks in the top 60 and the Cards and Braves get almost a dozen between the two of them?

I am so sick of it. The system is based on the belief that the only good players switching teams are good players leaving bad teams with no money, when in reality, those teams usually trade the players before FA (Beckett) or dont offer arby (Guerrero) and then the rich teams offer arby and pick up the prospects they traded to get them.

Ugh. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

But on another note, it is great to see the 2006 Draft Forum up. I'll be keeping an eye on how things are developing!

• 2 weeks later...

No position player is going to have a Ryan Zimmerman climb, that much I can say for certain, although while I thought Zimmerman would move fast, I didn't think he would move that fast.

College closers always move the quickest, as shown by the ascent of Chad Cordero, Ryan Wagner, Huston Street, Joey Devine & Craig Hansen. Blair Erickson (UC Irvine), Brandon Morrow (Cal), Mark Melancon (Arizona) & Chris Perez (Miami) represent the best college closers, although Morrow & Melancon are going to be used as starters this spring. My money is on Erickson to move the quickest, and he might just see the big leagues towards the end of the '06 season.

For the starters, Ian Kennedy is my pick to move the quickest, although it will depend on when he signs. His game and style of pitching is about as big-league ready as you're going to find. Texas' Kyle McCulloch should also move fast for the same reasons.

Colin Curtis will probably move faster than any other college hitter, but similar to Kennedy, another rumored Boras advisee, it depends on when he signs. Jon Jay and Wes Hodges could also move quickly.

Matt LaPorta may slug his way to the big-leagues fairly quickly a la Mark Teixeira & Pat Burrell.

For the prep players, Blazer and I both seem to agree that LHP Brett Anderson is the best pure pitcher, which would allow him to move fast. RHPs Dellin Betances and Jason Stoffel also know how to pitch on top of having very good stuff.

Chris Parmelee is the best bet to move fast among the prep hitters.

I think Stubbs is going to need a couple of years in the minors, at least one more than the guys I have already listed. While he has a very good tool set, his plate disciplined is still pretty raw, and I'm guessing there will be an adjustment period needed.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to point out that with the Angels signing Jeff Weaver, all of the free agents that would effect the draft order have been signed. The Dodgers get the Angels' 1st-round pick instead of the Nationals, and the Dodgers also get the first-pick in the sandwich round. You know SD Logan White is licking his chops at those two extra selections, which may make it easier to let Luke Hochevar go.

The Brewers overall picks are as follows:

First round: 16th overall

Second round: 60th overall

Third round: 92nd overall

For all subsequent rounds just add 30 for each round

I apologize in advance for the stupid question, but why don't the Brewers have the

16th

46th

76th

picks in the draft?

I know they lost last year's second round pick because of the Damian Miller signing, but why did they apparently drop in the the 2006 draft?

Now I get it. I was not familiar with the whole 1st and 2nd round supplemental rounds. This is the first MLB draft that I am making an effort at following. It's definitely a different animal than the NFL and NBA drafts.

And yeah, it's sort of frustrating from a Brewers fan perspective to see excellent teams/franchises like the Cards and Braves getting all those picks inside of the first 2 rounds.

Thanks for the help guys. I promise I won't have any more questions for a few more months.

It seems more and more people are getting out to see college baseball while toting their video camera along with the intent of posting it online. A few links have been brought to my attention.

One is from a site you may be familiar with if you follow the minor leagues. CalLeaguers.com has several videos up of players mostly from California (go figure), but also a few of visitors (most notably Texas' Drew Stubbs & Kyle McCulloch). Almost every one of the players with video available we have talked about in depth already. Take the time to check these out:

www.calleaguers.com/index.html

The next is from an eager Royals' fan with his own website/blog called Royals Corner. You know Royals fans are looking forward to the #1 overall pick, as that is about all they have to look forward to this year (no offense to Royals' fans, as the Brewers were in the same boat up until this last season). Video of Andrew Miller is currently available, and more on Daniel Bard is reportedly on the way:

royalscorner.blogspot.com/

Finally, BaseballWebTV.com has three games from the WWBA currently up on their homepage that are free for all to view right now. Some of the best performers from the event are featured, including LHPs Ryan Morris & Josh Smoker, along with C Max Sapp & OF Derrick Robinson:

www.baseballwebtv.com/

David Rawnsley of BaseballWebTV.com is currently breaking down some of the top players available for the 2006 draft in a 39-part series (so far they're at 10)

Baseball America has started their Draft notebooks again, as well as their draft positional rankings, starting with 1B and C (both links for subscribers only).

Draft notebook:

www.baseballamerica.com/o...ebook.html

Top draft-eligible 1B & C:

www.baseballamerica.com/o...kings.html

I disagree completely with their notion that Parmelee is strictly a LF in the OF because of his lack of speed and arm. As I noted in another thread, while he's not a burner, he has good running instincts and has a very strong arm. Not sure where Allan Simpson (whom I respect tremendously) got his information on that one.

• 4 weeks later...

I have listed four of the rumored Boras advisees previously, but Jim Callis added a four more in his recent Ask BA column:

We've confirmed that Boras is advising eight prospects for the 2006 draft, all college players. In order of how they ranked on our initial College Top 100 Prospects list , they are: Missouri righthander Max Scherzer (No. 3), Southern California righty Ian Kennedy (No. 5), Florida first baseman Matt LaPorta (No. 7), Arizona shortstop Jason Donald (No. 17), Arizona State outfielder Colin Curtis (No. 19), Cal Poly righty Gary Daley (No. 24), Tulane first baseman Mark Hamilton (No. 33) and Mississippi third baseman Chris Coghlan (No. 3http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif .

LaPorta, Daley, Hamilton and Coghlan are the ones I had previously not known about. LaPorta and Hamilton's inclusion are particularly interesting because they are the top two power hitters available in the draft.

No word on the high school players, and quite often we won't hear about these players until three years from now when they are once again eligible for the draft.

Archived