Brewer Fanatic

Khris Davis to the A's for C Jacob Nottingham and RHP Bubba Derby; Latest: Sean Nolin claimed from A's, too

trwi7

I think the concern about Santana is legit and I have similar concerns. The thing is, this was much more about getting a catching prospect in the system than it was about making room for Santana. Giving Santana fulltime work in 2016 is the icing on the cake of this trade. You want to know, sooner rather than later, exactly what you have in Santana. By the time the Brewers are contending, Santana may be in his arbitration years anyways. The Brewers have a lot of OF's in the pipeline, it is hardly "Santana or bust". Trent Clark is the kid who will likely be pushing for a starting spot in 2018/2019

Stearns may not have made this trade exclusively to guarantee an everyday/500 plus at bats job for Santana this coming season, but no question about it that given all of the outfielders who have been acquired since he took over as GM, Stearns really wanted to open up a corner OF spot to give Santana and maybe others a chance to prove themselves vs major league pitching.

Odds are Santana will be given the first crack at seizing control of the LF job, but if he struggles badly, there are multiple other guys who Stearns could then plug in to see how they do. Had Davis been kept, he'd have to play pretty much everyday and that would left guys like Santana and others with no place to try and prove themselves. Getting two more prospects IMO was icing on the cake to opening up a badly needed playing time spot in the outfield. A GM can't acquire all of these younger outfielders and then leave them no place to play.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Between them they could well combine to set a record for most strikeouts by a duo in major league history. Boy that will be fun. Somewhere Jose K is smiling. Yeah Santana put up nice AAA numbers but they came with a flashing warning light too. More strikeouts (257) than hits (249).

Curtis Granderson, Matt Carpenter, Paul Goldschmidt, Justin Upton, Nelson Cruz, and Mike Trout were all in the top 15 in strikeouts. I think they're pretty fun to watch.

I have no idea why Oakland made this trade. They're going to be terrible either way and they're in a brutal division. I don't get it.

Davis has four years of team control for Oakland, it's not as if he was only a three month rental at the deadline instead. So even if the A's do struggle this year, Davis could end up being a big bat for them the following season if they are better that year or traded by Beane say two years from now if he becomes a consistent 30 plus homer guy.

That four years of team control is likely a big reason why Oakland made the trade. Power is down in baseball right now and Davis has plenty of it, along with him being really cheap.

I just think they paid dearly. I may be in the minority there.

As with any trade like this, only time will determine which team will end up looking more fondly about this trade. So many things could happen.

1. Nottingham not only could end up being forced to switch positions and thus negating a good chunk of his value, as a hitter he only has one good half of a season hitting well and has never done it yet either vs more advanced pitching in AA and/or AAA. He just as easily could end up being a steal for Stearns or guy who had a few hot months at the plate in high A ball, struggles vs more advanced pitching, and/or can't cut it behind the plate as happens often to so many good offense/questionable defensive catchers in the minors.

2. Derby has only thrown 37 minor league innings and is only 5'10. Hopefully he eventually develops into a quality MLB pitcher, be it as a reliever or starter, but the statistical odds are against it as is the case for most pitchers in A ball.

3. Davis went on a home run tear the last two months of 2015 and his walk rate was good. Whether he has finally entered some prime years where he becomes a yearly 30 plus homer guy or remains the really streaky up/down hitter he was with the Brewers is something we'll find out over the next few years. Same for if his improved walk rate last year was more of a trend he'll continue going forward or that will also vary from year to year. Clearly he has to hit well though given his arm in LF is worse than some kids in Little League.

Oakland likely got the more sure thing end of this trade since we got two kids in A ball and given players/prospects that young either flame out completely all of the time or only develop into fringe MLB players. Clearly though some young prospects do beat the odds to become good to great MLB players. That's why rebuilding teams make trades like this. They roll the dice by trading more proven commodities for young unproven commodities with upside. To me it's a coin flip as to which team will feel better about this trade 2-3 years from now.

When you are exclusively acquiring players who are in rookie or low A, you aren't focused on 16, 17, or even 18 at the MLB level.

Traded INF Luis Sardinas to Seattle for OF Ramon Flores(23).

Claimed OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis(28) off waivers from the N.Y. Mets and 1B Andy Wilkins(27) from Texas.

Claimed C Josmil Pinto(26) off waivers from San Diego.

Agreed to terms with 3B Will Middlebrooks(27) on a minor league contract.

Agreed to terms with 1B Chris Carter(29) on a one-year contract.

Traded SS Jean Segura and RHP Tyler Wagner to Arizona Diamondbacks for RHP Chase Anderson(28), 3B Aaron Hill(33), SS Isan Diaz and cash.

Traded LF Rymer Liriano(24) to Milwaukee Brewers for LHP Trevor Seidenberger.

Signed free agent LF Eric Young Jr.(30) to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Traded 1B Jason Rogers to Pittsburgh Pirates for CF Keon Broxton(25) and RHP Trey Supak.

Claimed RHP Zack Jones(25) off waivers from Minnesota Twins.

Traded C Manny Pina(28) to Milwaukee Brewers. Completes the November 18 trade.

Claimed 2B Colin Walsh(26) off waivers from Oakland Athletics.

Traded 3B Garin Cecchini(24) to Milwaukee Brewers for cash.

Traded SS Jonathan Villar(24) to Milwaukee Brewers for RHP Cy Sneed.

Either you do not know what exclusively means or your head has been in the sand. While there has been a lot of action towards the young prospects, Stearns has also done a nice job using resources to get some fresh players, some who still hold somewhat of a high upside, into Milwaukee building our depth.

Some people want to pretend like the Brewers roster was winning games last year. There is a reason some of these guys are expendable and Davis is one of those players.

People deliberately are ignoring that point. If Stearns properly constructs the roster for 2016 it could very well be a better team than we fielded in 2015. That sure will be a bitter pill to swallow for the people who get aroused by the idea of perpetual rebuild and #1 draft picks galore.

OK, to complain about Nottingham "only having one good season" is ridiculous. Yes, his first bit of pro ball wasn't very impressive. BUT, he was 18 and just graduated from high school. His second season, he only played 48 games (not sure if there was an injury or if he was in instructional). His first "full" season he was outstanding and still only 20. Keep in mind that he played football in high school and baseball has been his primary focus for a couple years. With the talent he showed last year and his age and potential, this is a great pick up for the brewers.

When you are exclusively acquiring players who are in rookie or low A, you aren't focused on 16, 17, or even 18 at the MLB level.

Traded INF Luis Sardinas to Seattle for OF Ramon Flores(23).

Claimed OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis(28) off waivers from the N.Y. Mets and 1B Andy Wilkins(27) from Texas.

Claimed C Josmil Pinto(26) off waivers from San Diego.

Agreed to terms with 3B Will Middlebrooks(27) on a minor league contract.

Agreed to terms with 1B Chris Carter(29) on a one-year contract.

Traded SS Jean Segura and RHP Tyler Wagner to Arizona Diamondbacks for RHP Chase Anderson(28), 3B Aaron Hill(33), SS Isan Diaz and cash.

Traded LF Rymer Liriano(24) to Milwaukee Brewers for LHP Trevor Seidenberger.

Signed free agent LF Eric Young Jr.(30) to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Traded 1B Jason Rogers to Pittsburgh Pirates for CF Keon Broxton(25) and RHP Trey Supak.

Claimed RHP Zack Jones(25) off waivers from Minnesota Twins.

Traded C Manny Pina(28) to Milwaukee Brewers. Completes the November 18 trade.

Claimed 2B Colin Walsh(26) off waivers from Oakland Athletics.

Traded 3B Garin Cecchini(24) to Milwaukee Brewers for cash.

Traded SS Jonathan Villar(24) to Milwaukee Brewers for RHP Cy Sneed.

Either you do not know what exclusively means or your head has been in the sand. While there has been a lot of action towards the young prospects, Stearns has also done a nice job using resources to get some fresh players, some who still hold somewhat of a high upside, into Milwaukee building our depth.

Some people want to pretend like the Brewers roster was winning games last year. There is a reason some of these guys are expendable and Davis is one of those players.

I should have clarified and said legitimate prospects, but I feel you know that. The players on your list range from junk heap guys who couldn't make a 40 man on a good team to at top end just below average in Anderson

You need to wrap your head around the fact that this team is going to be the Astros. In no possible way is Stearns trying to improve the MLB roster in 16-17 and likely 18. We have traded away our clean up hitter, our #5 hitter and our closer, all of whom played well in 2015, none of which were terribly expensive, and in those moves picked up no one of any possible value to the MLB roster until 2018 if then.

This team will absolutely no doubt about it be a 100 loss team in 2016. The only issue in question is has he made the MLB roster bad enough to catch the Phillies, Reds, and Braves who are following the exact same blue print.

Some of you are making this out to be the equivalent of trading Overbay to make room for Fielder. Make no mistake Domingo Santana is no Prince Fielder, and Khris Davis possesses a unique skill (power) that sets him well above the level of Overbay. Davis has one HR every 17.2 major league ABs. That's better than Prince Fielder (17.7) and Ryan Braun (18.6).

Nice hyperbole there. No one, literally no one, is saying that. At best they are saying Santana could possibly match Davis at the plate while playing much better defense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Some of you are making this out to be the equivalent of trading Overbay to make room for Fielder. Make no mistake Domingo Santana is no Prince Fielder, and Khris Davis possesses a unique skill (power) that sets him well above the level of Overbay. Davis has one HR every 17.2 major league ABs. That's better than Prince Fielder (17.7) and Ryan Braun (18.6).

I suppose it's a plus that we'll know about Santana, but I fear he'll be exposed and they'll still be looking for corner OF help.

Up til his HR barrage in his final 194ABs Davis had 7/198ABs and was at 1/21.4 ABs on his career. I'll hold him to be closer to his 1/21AB avg for HRs vs the current 1/17.2 Add him as mentioned going to Oakland probably around 1/27.

Josh Donaldson went from 24&29HRs for Oak, to 41 and MVP for Toronto. Davis is 22&27 here likely headed to 18-23 there.

We simply cashed out on him before he lost his value. Maybe I'll be wrong and Davis can continue hitting HRs about 1/20ABs. But at .240s BA with lack of Defense getting Arb raises which will be overvalue tied to the HR rate, he just wouldn't net a good return.

This team will absolutely no doubt about it be a 100 loss team in 2016. The only issue in question is has he made the MLB roster bad enough to catch the Phillies, Reds, and Braves who are following the exact same blue print.

You seem really fixated on the Astros way but seem to think the entire plan was to tank to get top draft picks. Yet tanking has pretty little to do with either of those team's success so far. This article has a pretty nice breakdown of how much the top picks from tanking has helped get them to where they are now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/68059/dont-credit-tanking-for-the-success-of-cubs-and-astros

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I liked Khris Davis. When he was hot he could carry the Brewers offense. I'm not sold on Domingo Santana, but we've got a spot in the outfield and we might as well put him in the lineup and see what he can do.

I realize we needed a rebuild, but it seems like every prospect we acquire was once a member of a Houston Astros farm club. If this is the route we're taking and we really want to speed it up, why not just have Attanasio trade the whole franchise to Houston for theirs?

This is going to be a rough year.

You seem really fixated on the Astros way but seem to think the entire plan was to tank to get top draft picks. Yet tanking has pretty little to do with either of those team's success so far. This article has a pretty nice breakdown of how much the top picks from tanking has helped get them to where they are now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/68059/dont-credit-tanking-for-the-success-of-cubs-and-astros

It's how the Astros scouted and developed their talent. Take the year that the Rookie of the Year Carlos Correa was drafted. They got him to sign under slot to give them more to sign their 2nd round pick. Lance McCullers Jr. Both were integral in the Astros getting into the playoffs....and will play a huge role in years to come.

So you're saying there will be four 100 loss teams in 2016?

Last I looked, Vegas odds had the Brewers at around 71 wins. Not sure if I'd take the over on that, but I absolutely would on 62.

I liked Khris Davis. When he was hot he could carry the Brewers offense. I'm not sold on Domingo Santana, but we've got a spot in the outfield and we might as well put him in the lineup and see what he can do.

I realize we needed a rebuild, but it seems like every prospect we acquire was once a member of a Houston Astros farm club. If this is the route we're taking and we really want to speed it up, why not just have Attanasio trade the whole franchise to Houston for theirs?

This is going to be a rough year.

No.No.No.No No.No. I will not have brewers4eric, who is brilliant typically, bail on this rebuild.....I will not allow it.....boomer on the other hand- go for it man - I can give you several other team's fanboards you can start visiting....

But brewers4eric, please reconsider your feelings of resignation that this season will suck majorly

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In the end, we got a borderline Top 100 player for Davis. It's about the value I expected to get for him at this time.

Sure we could have waited and Davis might have repeated his great 2nd half. Or we could have waited and he could have hit .220. We made a deal now, and we got what we got. I'm not going to naval gaze over these kinds of things - and I don't want Stearns to do so either. The organization has a plan and this is one part of it. Make the deal, move on.

Of course there are risks Nottingham fails, but that's how it goes with prospects. Many of these deals will yield little or nothing. But again, that's the nature of what we are doing.

With Davis gone, we will likely turn to Santana. He'll get his chance, and if he fails, someone else will get a chance down the road. But now is the time to test guys like Santana - find out if they are part of the next winning team.

I'm happy with the team's philosophy so far. The actual players we get can't be judged for a while, but we seem to be on a good path. I like having that feeling. I know 2016-17 will be tough, but I'm going to enjoy watching the young kids develop.

You

I'd love to wager on this. I think it's much more likely the Brewers improve on last year's record than they lose 100 games.

You

I'd love to wager on this. I think it's much more likely the Brewers improve on last year's record than they lose 100 games.

I was talking with my dad about this yesterday. 68 wins is a pretty low bar. It really hinges, to me, on the Brewers' starting pitching. Is our young pitching going to step up to their potential? Hard to say right now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This was prior to the Khris Davis deal, but at ESPN David Schoenfield is going through the exercise of ranking the teams going into the season. He has the Brewers ranked 26th, ahead of Cincinnati, Philly, Atlanta and the Rockies.

Also, Buster Olney is really beating the 'tanking' drum again, crapping on Milwaukee after the Davis deal.

People penciling us in for 100 losses, you do realize that has only happened 1 time before in our not so illustrious history? It takes a really bad team and some bad bounces to lose 100 games.

I'd day last year's win total of 68 is a pretty good benchmark. I think we still have too much talent to finish dead last in MLB . A top 5 pick in 2017 is very possible, a top 10 is very likely.

In the last 10 years teams have lost 100 games 12 times. That includes teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, and Houston who are all pretty good right now. The odds say the Brewers won't lose 100, but even if they do we can still appreciate that there is a plan to get better.

Given how bad they were last year, I don't understand the people who think they shouldn't have made drastic changes.

Also the National League landscape has to play a factor....

Phillies

Braves

Reds

Brewers

Rockies

Padres

Are all likely going to have rough years which is going to make it hard for anyone of those teams to lose 100 games, if the Brewers were in the highly competitive AL I would think it would be more possible.

I'd bet on Miami having a tough year too. Lots of teams that the Brewers could play .500 against. They might be in the toughest division though.

To be fair, Lucroy, Smith, Peralta, and Braun might be on the block. This team could and likely will get worse.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Also, Buster Olney is really beating the 'tanking' drum again, crapping on Milwaukee after the Davis deal.

I noticed he's been all over the tanking this this off season. I don't really know much about his relationships with teams and the league, but there are always writers who are toadies for the various powers.

I can see the players not liking it - it may diminishes options for veterans. But the big issue seems to be with the bigger market teams. They seem to be driving this issue. They don't like sending tens of millions of dollars to teams who they perceive aren't even trying to win. I wouldn't be surprised if Olney is taking up their cause at their behest.

Of course, maybe he just thinks it's a terrible situation.

In the end, it's part of a campaign to install changes in the system during the upcoming labor negotiations.

It's how the Astros scouted and developed their talent. Take the year that the Rookie of the Year Carlos Correa was drafted. They got him to sign under slot to give them more to sign their 2nd round pick. Lance McCullers Jr. Both were integral in the Astros getting into the playoffs....and will play a huge role in years to come.

Every team knows drafting and developing is the way to go. That is not a secret. How to do it is. My beleif is the Astros success is not based on tanking and getting the top pick. It was by being better at finding and developing players. Virtually all of which did not involve tanking to the top draft pick.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived