Brewer Fanatic

Khris Davis to the A's for C Jacob Nottingham and RHP Bubba Derby; Latest: Sean Nolin claimed from A's, too

trwi7
Santana had 8HRs in his 54game cup of tea ML action and 26 overall on the season 4teams he played for. I'd put him down for 27HRs and Davis 25. But obviously at any year to Santanas age he could grow. Davis isn't as likely.

Davis will have 25 by the first of August. It will take until August of 2017 for Santana to hit 27. Davis may be 28, but he had not quite reached his peak, and that's part of the reason I didn't like this deal. Davis is a power bat in the category of Edwin Encarnacion and Jose Bautista, both of whom took until deeper in their careers to post the big numbers and ironically were also given up on by their original teams too soon.

For the record, for those thinking I've criticized all Stearns' moves, I did post that I liked the Segura trade.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Santana had 8HRs in his 54game cup of tea ML action and 26 overall on the season 4teams he played for. I'd put him down for 27HRs and Davis 25. But obviously at any year to Santanas age he could grow. Davis isn't as likely.

Davis will have 25 by the first of August. It will take until August of 2017 for Santana to hit 27. Davis may be 28, but he had not quite reached his peak, and that's part of the reason I didn't like this deal. Davis is a power bat in the category of Edwin Encarnacion and Jose Bautista, both of whom took until deeper in their careers to post the big numbers and ironically were also given up on by their original teams too soon.

For the record, for those thinking I've criticized all Stearns' moves, I did post that I liked the Segura trade.

Briggs you may end up right that there's more in Davis than he's shown but I think that the majority agree that this was a good move because we have a lot of options in the OF, we are rebuilding, and received a catching prospect which we are so, so low on in our system. Also, if Davis ever becomes the hitter you're talking about it will take him being a DH anyways because he's just not that good in the OF. Not only that but this gives us a chance to see what another higher power, athletic guy can do. If he stinks, we move on. But you have to give them consistent at bats to find that out.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I know people don't want to anoint Santana as a capable replacement at this exact moment. That is fine neither do I,

Hmmmmm, i think that the vast majority here are plenty fine with the idea of letting Santana get his chance to play pretty much everyday, whether he ends up in LF or RF.

Hmmmmm, maybe if you continue reading....

We dealt from a position of strength and we need to see what Santana's got full time at the major league level.

Last time I checked anoint and opportunity are two different things

AUDIO from October:

This week on THE NatsGM Show we are proud to welcome former San Diego State pitcher and the Oakland Athletics 6th round pick in the 2015 MLB Draft, Bubba Derby.

During our conversation Bubba describes playing for the legendary Tony Gwynn at San Diego State, his draft day experience last June, and what it was like playing summer collegiate baseball with the Bethesda Big Train. Then we transition and discuss his first year in professional baseball, his time at Fall Instructs and his plans for this offseason.

Thanks to Bubba for being so forthcoming and generous with his time.

Also from October, AUDIO via 27OutsBaseball

Go to the 18:30 minute mark.

Much more here with Bubba Derby.

I'm also not a huge fan of this deal but it makes a lot of sense for both sides. I feel like maybe the Brewers should've gotten a bit extra; maybe that's just being greedy. Khris is coming right into his prime and under team control for 4 years yet. That's the exact kind of thing this team should be trying to accomplish. I agree that defensively he has issues but his bat is proven with the potential for more yet as he enters what should be his best years.

This seems like the first "targeted" deal by Stearns. Nottingham, while still young, has had one good half season of low minor ball. I suppose that's why he was available. It's obvious he's still taking a quantity with greater risk over trying to acquire more advanced prospects. I'm also wondering if it's a bit of a 'save face' sort of move with an impending Lucroy trade. Might make justifying trading your best player easier when you just traded for the guy who's supposed to replace him...... I don't think he'd admit to that but I can't help but think it's in the back of his mind.

The deal makes sense for both sides. I fully expect Davis to do well in Oakland and utilize the DH some. Obviously the Brewers got somebody that fits a need and a pitcher who has really yet to fail as a pro.

See, you're believing last season's HR stretch can be duplicated for entire season. To me I believe it to be just a stretch much like Hardy's 20HR AS stretch that finished with 23?HRs by end of season?

Davis just moved to a less hitter friendly home with Seattle to have 92games played at tough to HR territory. Add King Felix, Yu Darvish, plus some other ace I'm forgetting as his mound opponents. None of the NL Cent can compare to that.

Santana is what? 3years ahead of Davis on his timeline. Next year will be like Davis 2014 for Santana.

Not an amazing deal, but a very good one kind of regardless of how one believes it best to run a franchise. In the most optimistic of scenarios Davis would have truly broken out this year getting the walk rate up closer to his minor league days and clearing 30 HRs. Which probably makes him the offensive MVP of the team. The problem from a trade value perspective is that he is taking that into arbitration and the bonus value he gets from cost control is going way down. So he potentially could still have netted more trade value, but you are wagering that against the sure loss in value that comes from getting older and less cost controlled and the chance of a catastrophic loss in value. You also open up the chance for a player who has done less at the big league level, but has also done enough to warrant a look in part because he has a higher ceiling with the better athleticism. The prospect were pretty good for a player whose value has seemingly always been held lower by the baseball world at large, with a boost in value for the centerpiece prospect being at a position of need and one in short supply across MLB.

It is hard to say with any confidence, but the timing and prospects coming back overall in the last few months leave open the possibility that this rebuilding project is not doomed to multiple years of awfulness before the team is solid again.

Here's a good (old) article on Nottingham when he was an Astros prospect last summer. It has some good quotes from him about his mindset on being a catcher and picking baseball over football. Spoiler alert: he wants to be more than an offensive player and is determined to be an all around catcher. Also, it quotes Jeff Luhnow.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2015/06/11/6th-round-pick-nottingham-could-be-answer-to-take-over-for-castro-in-2017/

I'm also not a huge fan of this deal but it makes a lot of sense for both sides. I feel like maybe the Brewers should've gotten a bit extra; maybe that's just being greedy. Khris is coming right into his prime and under team control for 4 years yet. That's the exact kind of thing this team should be trying to accomplish. I agree that defensively he has issues but his bat is proven with the potential for more yet as he enters what should be his best years.

This seems like the first "targeted" deal by Stearns. Nottingham, while still young, has had one good half season of low minor ball. I suppose that's why he was available. It's obvious he's still taking a quantity with greater risk over trying to acquire more advanced prospects. I'm also wondering if it's a bit of a 'save face' sort of move with an impending Lucroy trade. Might make justifying trading your best player easier when you just traded for the guy who's supposed to replace him...... I don't think he'd admit to that but I can't help but think it's in the back of his mind.

The deal makes sense for both sides. I fully expect Davis to do well in Oakland and utilize the DH some. Obviously the Brewers got somebody that fits a need and a pitcher who has really yet to fail as a pro.

I have no idea why Oakland made this trade. They're going to be terrible either way and they're in a brutal division. I don't get it.

Hardy actually displayed 30+ HR power every time he was healthy, that power spike wasn't just a fluke His seasons were derailed by chronic injuries including the one you mentioned. It won't surprise me if Davis hits 30+ this year, his power is for real. I don't mind this deal but it certainly could blow up on us if Davis starts hot. He could have been worth a lot more by the all star break. Of course he could also start cold and lose value. He is a tricky player to evaluate since he has been so streaky.

I know that it hasn't been reported anywhere yet, but any chance that Colin Walsh could also be part of this trade ? I doubt it, but seems like a natural fit. What are we going to do for excitement around here after Stearns trades away all of the assets? This has been the busiest off season I can recall. A lot of fun so far!

Domingo Santana an immediate upgrade? Because of what 200 at-bats that weren't even that crazy good? The same guy that just got done hitting .188 in offseason ball? The same guy with 5 errors playing this offseason for a .700 something fielding %?

Let's calm down for a second and realize Santana is mostly unproven. His defense is extremely overrated and I honestly don't think he would be all that great in RF seeing he wasn't great there last year for us and seems like he was totally lost this offseason too.

I am high on Santana like most of you, but he is no sure thing. Building off of that I think the Brewers should play him in LF. Yes he is a better RFer than Braun, but I think his long term future with us is in LF. Eventually Braun will be traded(imo) and we have better long term RF options than Santana.

there's plennnnnnnty more OF where he came from if he fails. one or more of about 10 new guys will end up working out for us.

Immediate Upgrade= Domingo Santana right off the bat in 2016 will be more productive than Khris Davis.

Whether or not he's an upgrade now is irrelevant. Santana needs to see 500 at-bats so the Brewers can get a good feel on what they have with him, so he's either in the future plans or he'll be cast away; OR, he could be traded for more assets.

I think a few posters are stuck on "Santana won't replace Davis' production" when I'm not really sure that's the goal right now. Besides, Santana has nothing left to prove at AAA. He needs every day at-bats and now he can get those in a corner spot in MKE.

Whether or not he's an upgrade now is irrelevant. Santana needs to see 500 at-bats so the Brewers can get a good feel on what they have with him, so he's either in the future plans or he'll be cast away; OR, he could be traded for more assets.

I think a few posters are stuck on "Santana won't replace Davis' production" when I'm not really sure that's the goal right now. Besides, Santana has nothing left to prove at AAA. He needs every day at-bats and now he can get those in a corner spot in MKE.

Totally agree, but I get the sense that some think the return/trade is somehow better because it is an upgrade over Davis anyway. I don't think that should have an barring on how one views the trade.

What are we going to do for excitement around here after Stearns trades away all of the assets? This has been the busiest off season I can recall. A lot of fun so far!

I agree! And once the season starts, in addition to watching all the new prospects develop through the ranks, there's a lot of interesting young talent and new faces on the big league club I'm excited to watch as well. Davies, Santana, Villar, Cecchini, Flores and Liriano are all 23/24 and Broxton is 25. Do any of them break out and show their potential? Carter, Anderson, Middlebrooks, and Nieuwenhuis are in their prime 27-29 years. Do any of them have a career year? Do they get flipped for more prospects at the break? Can Pinto or Pina show enough in Spring Training to effectively share half the catching duties once Lucroy's gone? Do the Rule 5 guys stick and does Walsh end up being a steal who's able to hold down 2nd for a couple seasons? When do Arcia and Phillips make the jump to the bigs and really start the train of prospects rolling in from the farm?

For me, this has been one the funnest offseasons in a while and I'm really excited to watch the entire organization this year.

Any chance Stearns is eyeing the #1 overall pick in the 2017 draft?

Of course he is. And 2018 too. He has zero intent on improving the MLB roster in the next two plus years and the entire offseason shows that.

The goal is to sell off assets for players that won't arrive until 3 years down the road. As they develop, the farm is stocked with the real prizes in the draft and international.

He is tanking the MLB roster to follow the Astros very successful plan.

Some of you are making this out to be the equivalent of trading Overbay to make room for Fielder. Make no mistake Domingo Santana is no Prince Fielder, and Khris Davis possesses a unique skill (power) that sets him well above the level of Overbay. Davis has one HR every 17.2 major league ABs. That's better than Prince Fielder (17.7) and Ryan Braun (18.6).

The odds of guys with more AAA strikeouts than hits becoming productive major league regulars are quite steep and the Brewers could have gotten more for Davis after this year.

I suppose it's a plus that we'll know about Santana, but I fear he'll be exposed and they'll still be looking for corner OF help.

I have no idea why Oakland made this trade. They're going to be terrible either way and they're in a brutal division. I don't get it.

They picked up a cheap power hitter for very little and they control him for 4 years. What's the downside there? If he has one good year they flip for way more than they gave up since power is a very rare tool these days. Plus they have the DH so his value is higher in Oakland.

It was a great trade for Oakland. As for Milwaukee, it is another step in building the low minors and making sure the MLB roster puts them in position to pick high in the draft the next three years which is the real prize in all the Stearns moves.

Oakland is very much a pitcher friendly environment. I won't be surprised when Santana does have more home runs than Davis. He's also a defensive upgrade. Braun should be moved back to left. I think the return is good but I wonder what we may have had to add to get Matt Olson or Renato Nunez instead of Bubba. I really doubt there would have been any chance of getting Chapman back. Oakland is really high on him (and for good reason).

Some of you are making this out to be the equivalent of trading Overbay to make room for Fielder. Make no mistake Domingo Santana is no Prince Fielder, and Khris Davis possesses a unique skill (power) that sets him well above the level of Overbay. Davis has one HR every 17.2 major league ABs. That's better than Prince Fielder (17.7) and Ryan Braun (18.6).

The odds of guys with more AAA strikeouts than hits becoming productive major league regulars are quite steep and the Brewers could have gotten more for Davis after this year.

I suppose it's a plus that we'll know about Santana, but I fear he'll be exposed and they'll still be looking for corner OF help.

I doubt this trade was to open up a spot for Santana. I doubt any move that is made has a thing to do about the players already in the majors, or at least ones that matter. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Santana traded this season too if he shows some pop.

When you are exclusively acquiring players who are in rookie or low A, you aren't focused on 16, 17, or even 18 at the MLB level.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Dark Night of the Scarecrow movie scared the crap out of me as a young child in the mid-1980s. "Bubba didn't do it!"

I can't believe they aired that on CBS.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived