Brewer Fanatic

Khris Davis to the A's for C Jacob Nottingham and RHP Bubba Derby; Latest: Sean Nolin claimed from A's, too

trwi7
Is anyone keeping a running list of the players Stearns has acquired?

I just took a stab at it! I started at last year's trade deadline though and included ages and MLB Pipeline prospect rankings for MLB, position, and with the Brewers.

http://i.imgur.com/vVuBFWB.gif

Well done. What is crazy to think is what this will look like after Lucroy and Smith are inevitably traded.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if he's between 3 & 5 in the A's system where does that put him in the Brewers? Brewers must have better depth. Somewhere between 7-10?

It seems opinions differ. John Sickels rated Nottingham a B+/B prospect, which would place him #5 in the Brewers system. Baseball Prospectus rated Nottingham #66 in their Top 101, which would place him #3 in the Brewers system. Baseball America was much lower on him than anyone else and had him #11 in a slightly-lower-ranked Athletics system, so presumably he would be in the mid-teens in the Brewers system. The MLB.com Pipeline ranking (#16 in the system or whatever) is irrelevant because they haven't updated those yet, and Nottingham had a huge breakout 2015.

If you're confident that he can stick at catcher (which Stearns & co. presumably are), then it seems like top-5 in the system is about right.

Pipeline was updated a couple of weeks ago:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016

NOttingham is not on the top 100 list. He is listed as the #8 catcher.

BA Top 100 just came out. Nottingham isn't a top 100 guy for them.

The MLB Pipeline top-100 was updated, but the team top-30s have not been updated as far as I know. (I think not until March?)

Another change in our likely starting lineup

C - J. Lucroy

1B - C. Carter

2B - S. Gennett

SS - J. Villar

3B - G. Cecchini

LF - R. Braun

CF - R. Liriano

RF - D. Santana

I think? Can't even keep track anymore :laughing

In McCalvy's article on the trade, he mentioned that Santana was going to play left as of now, though Stearns and Counsell still had to talk about it.

I'm dubious about Nottingham's chances to stick at catcher, but he seems to have better receiving tools than Coulter, so that's something.

IF he can't you have your future first baseman which they have no one in the pipeline. I wished they moved coulter there instead of right

This trade could be very good or it could blow up in Stearns face. Is Santana an everyday corner OF? I have serious doubts. Nottingham has a good bat but Clint Coulter like pass ball numbers. Davis could end up being a 40 HR guy and if he does the return could end up looking rather meager. It's going to take a few years but if Michael Reed is in Milwaukee and Santana is back in AAA, people will start wondering.

What serious doubts do you have that Santana can be an everyday corner OF? He's already an upgrade defensively over Davis and at 21 and 22 he had VERY GOOD numbers in AAA. He was horrendous in his brief stint with the Astros in 2014 and last year he bounced back when called up with both teams. He's an immediate upgrade overall over Davis and 5yrs younger. I don't think Davis will ever hit 40HR. He'll more than likely cap out in the 30-35HR range if given 500+ ABs. Santana can hit 20-25HR so it's not a massive step backwards in that department either. The OF, and team, just got better with this trade. Nottingham is projected as an average-above average defensive catcher. Coulter clearly wasn't that as he transitioned to the OF rather quickly so you can cherry pick your stats to defend your stance all day (ie passed ball numbers). Reality is this trade isn't going to blow up in his face. Not only did this organization get a strong catching prospect (who could transition to 1b depending on that situation in the future) who's 2-3yrs away but also a young pitcher who could turn into a solid back end starter or long reliever AND it clears a spot for Santana to start and get the experience he needs that will only benefit him and the team moving forward when everybody else starts coming up this year or next.

Herb Kohl tried to compete every year for a championship and it ended up in a middle level team that had one chance in the last 20 yrs to go to a final. The Crew needs to amass as many assets as they can over the next 2-3 years to have a chance in a low dollar media market. This is the kind of trade that amassed assets, cant argue that. Anyone upset is not assessing what it takes to win in 2016 or beyond, just what product will be on the field this year.

Why does anyone really argue with Briggs? He is a smart Brewer fan but is entrenched in his viewpoints....this is an amazingly efficient rebuild with the understanding that rebuilds are not perfect animals and they can fail despite the best workings of their puppetmasters....it is not hard to see.

While there is still a long way to go in the rebuild (and yes it was started on Melvin's watch), it's hard not to get excited when intelligent analytical minds such as Dave Cameron bestow this much praise on Stearns and company...

TWEET from @DCameronFG: In a few years, we are going to look back at this winter as the time the Brewers turned their franchise around.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

EBAT, who has become one of my all time favorite contributors here raises a great point...this is just the first initial step in Stearns plan....Guys like Cameron see the tide turning with smart trades....these deals are not one sided...in fact I love Khrush for Oakland...they are just smart deals that increase talent AND fill needs

I kinda think we got back too little. Specially for someone who is cost controlled for 4 years. We should have gotten either another younger high upside guy or a better pitcher. I wonder if we included Smith if we could have gotten Matt Chapman too

Domingo Santana an immediate upgrade? Because of what 200 at-bats that weren't even that crazy good? The same guy that just got done hitting .188 in offseason ball? The same guy with 5 errors playing this offseason for a .700 something fielding %?

Let's calm down for a second and realize Santana is mostly unproven. His defense is extremely overrated and I honestly don't think he would be all that great in RF seeing he wasn't great there last year for us and seems like he was totally lost this offseason too.

I am high on Santana like most of you, but he is no sure thing. Building off of that I think the Brewers should play him in LF. Yes he is a better RFer than Braun, but I think his long term future with us is in LF. Eventually Braun will be traded(imo) and we have better long term RF options than Santana.

This trade could be very good or it could blow up in Stearns face. Is Santana an everyday corner OF? I have serious doubts. Nottingham has a good bat but Clint Coulter like pass ball numbers. Davis could end up being a 40 HR guy and if he does the return could end up looking rather meager. It's going to take a few years but if Michael Reed is in Milwaukee and Santana is back in AAA, people will start wondering.

What serious doubts do you have that Santana can be an everyday corner OF? He's already an upgrade defensively over Davis and at 21 and 22 he had VERY GOOD numbers in AAA. He was horrendous in his brief stint with the Astros in 2014 and last year he bounced back when called up with both teams. He's an immediate upgrade overall over Davis and 5yrs younger. I don't think Davis will ever hit 40HR. He'll more than likely cap out in the 30-35HR range if given 500+ ABs. Santana can hit 20-25HR so it's not a massive step backwards in that department either. The OF, and team, just got better with this trade. Nottingham is projected as an average-above average defensive catcher. Coulter clearly wasn't that as he transitioned to the OF rather quickly so you can cherry pick your stats to defend your stance all day (ie passed ball numbers). Reality is this trade isn't going to blow up in his face. Not only did this organization get a strong catching prospect (who could transition to 1b depending on that situation in the future) who's 2-3yrs away but also a young pitcher who could turn into a solid back end starter or long reliever AND it clears a spot for Santana to start and get the experience he needs that will only benefit him and the team moving forward when everybody else starts coming up this year or next.

I just want to say, I believe Santana's HR power potential is greater than Davis. And with Davis going to Oakland, I'd bet Santana hits more HRs this season.

Blow up in his face? You just cannot say anything good about a move Stearns makes can you...what do you feel would be better. Competing for a 81-81 record this year?

81-81 would be stellar for the roster that Stearns inherited. Some fans wont have the stomach for a rebuild but so far Stearns is doing a great job. Davis is the exact guy you trade. He is already 28 and is arby eligible starting next year. He is limited to DH unless you want to take a huge hit defensively. And at the same time he is a nice pieve to trade for if you are Oakland because he will hit and hit fairly well.

Call me nuts but I don't think the current team is much of a downgrade from the 500ish club we have fielded the past few years. If there aren't any injuries and everything goes as planned it would not surprise me if we surprised a few folks. A properly constructed roster may actually IMPROVE things for us.

Domingo Santana an immediate upgrade? Because of what 200 at-bats that weren't even that crazy good? The same guy that just got done hitting .188 in offseason ball? The same guy with 5 errors playing this offseason for a .700 something fielding %?

Let's calm down for a second and realize Santana is mostly unproven. His defense is extremely overrated and I honestly don't think he would be all that great in RF seeing he wasn't great there last year for us and seems like he was totally lost this offseason too.

I am high on Santana like most of you, but he is no sure thing. Building off of that I think the Brewers should play him in LF. Yes he is a better RFer than Braun, but I think his long term future with us is in LF. Eventually Braun will be traded(imo) and we have better long term RF options than Santana.

there's plennnnnnnty more OF where he came from if he fails. one or more of about 10 new guys will end up working out for us.

I just want to say, I believe Santana's HR power potential is greater than Davis. And with Davis going to Oakland, I'd bet Santana hits more HRs this season.

I'm for this trade, but i'd take you up on this bet in a heartbeat. Davis a legit power and has done so vs big league pitching. The odds of Santana hitting more homers than Davis this upcoming season are small.

Davis is not a sure thing either. He's had streaks of being fairly horrendous, and he's not getting any younger.

Despite your claim of being high on Santana, it doesn't sound like you are. Personally, I think weighing proximity/risk, Santana has the most upside of any non-Braun OF in the system (obviously someone like Clark could surpass him, but Clark is a long ways off). Offseason stats are 100% irrelevant. 100%.

I know people don't want to anoint Santana as a capable replacement at this exact moment. That is fine neither do I, but I am not worried because we have Phillips, Clark, Harrison, Coulter, Taylor, Orimoloye, Reed, Roache, Broxton, Flores, and Liriano. I am sure somewhere in there we will find our center fielder and other corner outfielder. We dealt from a position of strength and we need to see what Santana's got full time at the major league level.

Nottingham is no sure thing, prospects never are. But have to love when you read he has an opposite field approach especially for a guy his size. I get the passed ball rate is concerning but I don't put a life or death stock into it considering 12 of the 19 he had last year came after he switched organizations mid season. That cannot be easy on a 20 year old catcher who's still trying to refine his defensive game.

I for one am glad Stearns is dealing from a position of strength for a position of weakness even if it is risky. I am also glad the team isn't forced to draft a catcher high in the draft. You know your organization had some bad depth at a position when a 24 year old at A ball in Carlos Leal was your #1 catching prospect and didn't even crack the fans top 25.

I know people don't want to anoint Santana as a capable replacement at this exact moment. That is fine neither do I,

Hmmmmm, i think that the vast majority here are plenty fine with the idea of letting Santana get his chance to play pretty much everyday, whether he ends up in LF or RF.

Santana in 90 plate appearances in Dominican Winter ball: .181/.244/.217. Zero HR. In his brief major league career, he strikes out at an alarming rate. So does Chris Carter. Between them they could well combine to set a record for most strikeouts by a duo in major league history. Boy that will be fun. Somewhere Jose K is smiling. Yeah Santana put up nice AAA numbers but they came with a flashing warning light too. More strikeouts (257) than hits (249).

There are questions surrounding Santana. That's all I'm saying. Davis was still cheap and controllable and a proven premier power bat. The catcher they got for Davis might end up being a great return but I'm not doing handstands because Santana has a position. Sorry. Unless Santana proves he's a major league corner OF, and the bar is pretty high for such an offensive position, the fact is this trade not only weakens them in 2016 but 2017 and 2018 as well and one of their most marketable and tradeable players is gone for a return that's 3 years from major leagues. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion. I'm also concerned Stearns so highly values Astros products. Is that the only team he knows anything about?

Santana had 8HRs in his 54game cup of tea ML action and 26 overall on the season 4teams he played for. I'd put him down for 27HRs and Davis 25. But obviously at any year to Santanas age he could grow. Davis isn't as likely.

I'd take the bet. Whatever the winning HR total. Figure at worst $34. But low to mid 20s likely.

Archived