Brewer Fanatic

Khris Davis to the A's for C Jacob Nottingham and RHP Bubba Derby; Latest: Sean Nolin claimed from A's, too

trwi7
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

So besides clearing an everyday spot for Santana (does Braun now move back to LF?), we get a top prospect to serve as Lucroy's heir apparent as well as a potential high leverage bullpen arm for the future in exchange for a guy who has one tool.

David Stearns, how do you do that magic that you do? Good lord, this is an impressive trade.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby sounds a lot like Thornburg when he was a prospect. Nottingham is the get in this deal.

Best part of this is now we don't have to hear about how we can't trade Lucroy because there's no replacement in the system from guys like Haudricourt. :)

Nice trade all around. Davis seems like an ideal DH candidate for a small market team hoping to contend and the Brewers get a catcher who should make the majors and a pitcher who could. Even better if neither of them have to be on the 40 man roster for a while. Flexibility and talent, what more can you ask for?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

That's all I've got.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I would bet Braun heads back to LF with Santana going to RF.

I can't imagine it would be any different. Now I'm interested in Santana. I think he's going to be Khris Davis II, with new and improved defense. A lot of swing and miss though.

I really don't think this deal makes the team any worse this year. Am I wrong?

I can't imagine it would be any different. Now I'm interested in Santana. I think he's going to be Khris Davis II, with new and improved defense. A lot of swing and miss though.

Not worse at all. Younger, too.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

But guys, Tom still wants to know, WHO IS GOING TO PLAY CENTER?

Is anyone keeping a running list of the players Stearns has acquired?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

But just think how much he'd be worth after a big year at the plate a la Nelson Cruz. I like the return based on his present value but as with segura and Rogers before him were in solid positions to improve their stock while minimum risk at lowering it. As has been payed out elsewhere there was no rush to trade any of them. and while I am excited about adding a top 100 prospect I have an anxious feeling that stearns is going to make one trade too many

But just think how much he'd be worth after a big year at the plate a la Nelson Cruz. I like the return based on his present value but as with segura and Rogers before him were in solid positions to improve their stock while minimum risk at lowering it. As has been payed out elsewhere there was no rush to trade any of them. and while I am excited about adding a top 100 prospect I have an anxious feeling that stearns is going to make one trade too many

I think the risk that they get hurt is greater than the chances that they have a career year.

How was Segura in a position to help his trade value?

Think we sold high on Davis and Rogers and Segura hasn't shown anything in 2+ years. Love this trade, very, very excited about the future.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

There is also a risk that a good deal never gets made because he is waiting for the ideal trade to come along. The odds that Davis is going to get us more than one of the better catching prospects in the game isn't likely to happen.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Nottingham is a solid prospect. Fits a need at C or 1B - although that's not that big of a deal in my book - but I'll take it. Maybe he's not Top 100 in some eyes, but he's likely pretty close.

Davis' value was always sort of murky, so I'm good with adding a Top 100 (or near Top 100) prospect in the deal.

Catching prospects are difficult - many flame out (especially going from A to AA). So it'll be interesting to see how he does next year.

Looks like a couple guys who probably have high ceilings but also low floors. Derby is really far away yet and Nottingham had two pretty nondescript rookie league seasons before breaking out last year. Hopefully he isn't a one year wonder. Seems like a decent deal but not some no brainer

Archived