Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion Thread, Rounds 6-10

According to baseballamerica, the 6th round pick was dismissed from Mississippi's baseball program after violating team rules then missed most of 2005 because of a broken hand suffered from punching a teammate.

Northwestern University with two draftees, with the better prospect, Dan Brauer, a left handed starter who was the Big Ten pitcher of the year, going in the 6th round to Philadelphia. For some reason the Yankess took George Kontos, a below average right hander, in the 5th round. No one cares on this board but myself, but it's still kind of cool because I'm friends with Dan.

MLB lists Micah Wright, our 6th-rounder, at 6'4" and 0 lbs. I don't generally infer too much from body types, but that's a little disturbing. Wright turns 23 later this year, which I actually like a lot in a pitcher, not knowing anything else about him.

Another HS RHP in the 8th, Charles Hill, which I don't mind so much, because it's the 8th round, so fine, roll the dice. In the 7th we took Andrew Bouchie from Oral Roberts, which is cool because (a) I like having an advanced catcher to throw into the mix with Salome and Palmisano, and (b) you can never have too many fundamentalist catchers.

Greg.

18 -- Will take forever to reach majors

19 -- Too old for a high schooler

22 -- Only has a year or so to develop into anything

23 -- Friggin old, put em to pasture.

So, we should focus on 16 or 17 year-olds from Latin America, young college grads, or underclassmen? That's a tight window.

Chio, different people obviously have different views on this. I like older (i.e., college) pitchers because pitchers younger than about age 24 have a much higher incidence of injury. In general, though, younger players have more time to develop, so I like multitalented HS hitters, especially SS-2B-C-CF guys, because they have room to lose defensive value and still help you. I don't much care about getting immediate help, because young players are hard to predict that way, but I would say that a pitching-damaged team like the Brewers at least has a reason to think about not taking a far-off pitcher with their first pick.

What's your view?

Greg.

I don't undestasnd why you would want a bunch of 23 year old pitchers on the AA and A ball roster.

Why do you like older college pitchers. This money ball crap is starting to get tired. The Atlanta Braves have done pretty well drafting HS pitchers and players.

Moneyball and that stats guy in Boston have turned every geek with a calculator and spare time into a baseball scout.

The Brewers are one franchise.

A college pitcher has little eroom for improvement.

If you are picking a Vreland or one of thye arms in the top 10 it makes sense, but once you are picking 12 or 16th you are not going to get a Miller.

At that point you have to compare the potential of a HS versus a 22 year old who has pitched for 2 or 3 years in college, How much better is Joba Chamberlein going to get?

Don't you think Bob Melvin has weighed these questions in his head?

Bob Melvin sets the tone and direction of franchise on player personnel matters.

I am sure he delegates a great deal of the day operation of the scouting and minor league operations to Jack Z and Ash, but Melvin is the boss and decisions are not made without his input.

Geothite, I appreciate that you have a point of view, and I get where you're coming from. But please take your brain-dead accusation that I'm just mouthing Moneyball platitudes and shove it hard. I have an opinion, just like you do, and I explained my reasons for it a hell of a lot more thoroughly than you explained yours.

Greg.

Gregmag, that was completely inappropriate, and quite simply way out of line.

Make your argument without blatant personal attacks, please.

I think that Greg shouldn't have lost his temper and probably didn't sway anyone's opinion with his rhetoric. He did phrase his post in such a way as to not take a personal attack.

Brae Wright is a suprising selection for the Brewers. I can't remember the last time they picked a bad boy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Peavy, I will never take a first shot at anybody in anger, and I won't (and didn't) violate any rules of the forum regarding censored words. But if somebody insults me, I'm going to hit back. I'm sick of taking it on the chin from belligerent and/or ignorant posters who don't have the decency to make reasoned or at least civil arguments. I didn't see you or any of the other moderators do anything about the post I responded to, so I had to send the message myself. I recognize that you guys can't deal with everything perfectly, but please don't lecture me when you let somebody's slam on me slide and then I respond in kind.

Greg.

I didn't see you or any of the other moderators do anything about the post I responded to, so I had to send the message myself.

If you feel you're being attacked and no one's seen it or doing anything about it, the preferred method would be to alert a moderator. That's why they exist.

But if somebody insults me, I'm going to hit back.

So geothite's "This money ball crap is starting to get tired" made you completely lose it? To be honest, I thought your reponse was pretty disproportional.

If everyone responded to every dig in kind, this place would suck.

TC, I'm trying to send you an ez inbox message, but I'm getting a response back that you haven't enabled it. I know that can't be right, so can you send me one to which I can then respond? Thanks.

Greg.

Community Moderator

He did phrase his post in such a way as to not take a personal attack.

Sorry Dave, when you tell someone to 'shove it hard' and call their idea brain-dead, I fail to see how that's not a personal attack.

But if somebody insults me, I'm going to hit back. I'm sick of taking it on the chin from belligerent and/or ignorant posters who don't have the decency to make reasoned or at least civil arguments.

I didn't see geothite's post as a direct insult to you at first, but I see how you are taking it that way. That said, you should very well know that 'he started it' isn't a valid reason for your actions.

Back to draft discussion, please.

Archived