Brewer Fanatic

Official Draft Pick Selection Thread

This thread will be used to post all draft picks in order of their selection, as well as page-by-page details of the picks, which we will slowly but surely add to in the coming days.

Please do not post in this thread. Non-staff comments will be deleted. Myself, Toby or Jim will update the picks and player profiles. If you have comments/links about a player, please post them in the appropriate discussion thread.

Bold indicates player has signed.

1. (16 overall): Jeremy Jeffress, RHP, Halifax County Senior HS (VA)

2. (60): Brent Brewer, SS, Sandy Creek HS (GA)

3. (92): Cole Gillespie, LF, Oregon St. University

4. (122): Evan Anundsen, RHP, Columbine HS (CO)

5. (152): Chris Errecart, LF, U.C. Berkeley

6. (182): Brae Wright, LHP, Oklahoma State University

7. (212): Andy Bouchie, C, Oral Roberts University

8. (242): Shane Hill, RHP, Florida Christian School (FL)

9. (272): Shawn Ferguson, RHP, Texas Christian University

10. (302): Mike McClendon, RHP, Seminole Community College

11. (332): Zach Clem, LF, University of Washington

12. (362): Chad Robinson, RHP, Silverado HS (NV)

13. (392): Chris Toneguzzi, RHP, Purdue University

14. (422): Hector Bernal, SS, El Paso Community College

15. (452): Brett Whiteside, C, Mesquite HS (AZ)

16. (482): R.J. Seidel, RHP, La Crosse Central HS (WI)

17. (512): Aaron Tullo, RHP, St. Petersburg HS (FL)

18. (542): Andrew Clark, 1B, New Palestine HS (IN)

19. (572): Lee Haydel, OF, Riverside HS (LA)

20. (602): Mehdi Djebbar, LHP, Ahuntsic College (Montreal, Quebec)

21. (632): Jesse D'Amico, C, Mohawk HS (PA)

22. (662): J.T. King, RHP, Northeastern Oklahoma A&M

23. (692): Scott Shuman, RHP, Tift County HS (GA)

24. (722): Travis Wendte, RHP, University of Missouri

25. (752): Mike Goetz, CF, UW-Milwaukee

26. (782): Marc Lewis, LHP, Creighton University (NE)

27. (812): T.J. Macy, RHP, Scottsdale CC (AZ)

28. (842): Terrell Alliman, RF, Bluevale Collegiate Institute (Waterloo, Ontario)

29. (872): David Newmann, LHP, Texas A&M

30. (902): Jordan Swaydan, C, San Diego State

31. (932): Robert Bryson, RHP, Williams Penn HS (DE)

32. (962): Nicholas Tyson, RHP, Timber Creek Regional HS (NJ)

33. (992): Eric Newton, 2B, Santa Clara University (CA)

34. (1022): Stuart Sutherland, RHP, Dallas Baptist University

35. (1052): Sanduan Dubose, 3B, Stillman College (MS)

36. (1082): Clay Jones, C, Bibb County HS (AL)

37. (1112): Wes Munson, SS, Fond du Lac HS (WI)

38. (1142): Todd Fitzgerald, LHP, San Jose CC (CA)

39. (1172): Chuckie Caufield, RF, University of Oklahoma

40. (1202): Alexander Koronis, RHP, Monsignor Pace HS (FL)

41. (1232): John Poulk, 3B, UNC Wilmington

42. (1262): Matt Peck, RHP, Cowley College (OK)

43. (1292): Dustin Lidyard, RHP, Lower Columbia College (WA)

44. (1322): Bryan Crosby, 3B, William Blount HS (TN)

45. (1352): Matthew Thompson, SS, Aztec HS (NM)

46. (1382): Aaron Johnson, C, Lethbridge CC (Alberta)

47. (1412): Matthew Coburn, RHP, San Jacinto College (TX)

48. (1442): Brandon Owens, RHP, Heritage HS (GA)

49. (1462): Nicholas Spears, SS, Poway HS (CA)

50. (1502): Ricky Alvernaz, 3B, Tamanawis HS (British Columbia)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SIGNED

Round 1: Jeremy Jeffress - RHP

6'0", 175 lbs, R/R - Hallifax County Senior HS (VA)

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/24/243842.jpg

http://thenewsrecord.com/NewPhotos/20060529NWRgameone/images/20060529NWRBB0186.jpg

Here are a few pictures of Jeffress that Patrick Ebert took during the scrimmage of last summer's Aflac All-American Classic:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/jeffress2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/jeffress1.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

BaseballWebTV video of Jeffress at Aflac game

Brewerfan.net player profile

Jeffress is one of the most exciting players to watch among those eligible for the 2006 draft, as he is an excitable player that exudes confidence on the mound. He often pumps his fist into his glove before delivering a pitch, and matches his confidence with an explosive mid-90s fastball. He also throws a nasty slider, although the pitch could use more consistency. His delivery seems effortless, and he uses his lower half well when pitching. Overall he is a very good overall athlete whose frame and stuff has drawn comparisons to Dwight Gooden. While he does throw extremely hard, it remains to be seen whether or not he can maintain that velocity as a starter, as his fastball can dip into the high-80s. With plenty of room to add strength many believe maturity will help aid that perceived problem, as he offers one of the most explosive and intriguing arms for the 2006 draft.

Perfect Game / Patrick Ebert Coverage:

Perfect Game 2005 National Showcase profile

Perfect Game 2004 SE Underclass profile

Perfect Game 2005 Atlantic Coast showcase profile

Aflac All-American Classic player profile

Patrick Ebert's Observations from the Aflac All-American Classic (game):

Jeremy Jeffress, whom the East were saving for the ninth, warmed up quickly and replaced Sullivan with two on and no outs. Pumping his fist into his glove repeatedly and getting big cheers from the crowd, Jeffress hit 94 on his first five fastballs, striking out Kyle Drabek in the process. He also threw an inconsistent but potentially dominant 79 mph slider. Unfortunately for Jeffress and the East, he never threw 94 again, as his velocity quickly declined to 91, 89 and 88 mph before settling at 87. The eighth continued to be a nightmare for the East, as Green reached on an error with a runner scoring, while another runner scored on a wild pitch. Shepherd then followed with a RBI single to right field, and Rapoport reached on yet another error. Bridges singled to left field on a good fastball by Jeffress to load the bases. Jeffress got Alcombrack to pop up to third base, but Chris Marrero dropped the ball in foul territory giving Alcombrack a new life (Marrero committed three errors in the inning). Alcombrack then walked in a run. Jeffress finally got a little bit of luck on his side, as he got a double play when Ryan Adams flew out to centerfield and the East threw to third base after Rapoport apparently had tagged and scored. The ump, likely tired due to the heat and length of the inning, called Rapoport out, even if the replay clearly showed he had tagged. With five runs scoring, the West seemed up for good, eight to four.

Patrick Ebert's Observations from the Aflac All-American Classic (scrimmage):

While Betances has a quiet confidence on the mound, Jeremy Jeffress (South Boston, VA) definitely allows himself to show his emotions on the mound. Armed with a heater that has been clocked in the upper-90s this summer, he started in the 90-91 range before dipping to 85-87. This is a trend that also continued during the Aflac game itself, again, which I will also get to later on. He has a slurvy breaking pitch that could use some more consistency, but it definitely shows promise.

Biographical Information:

- Jeffress is from South Boston in Halifax County, located in South Central Virginia. South Boston is about four hours from DC and about two and a half hours from Richmond.

- Halifax County High School is a member of the AAA Western Valley District, one of the most competitive in the state.

- Jeffress played guard on his high school's basketball team.

NEWSPAPER AND WEB COVERAGE:

The News & Record, 06-06-2006:

Quote:
Jeremy Jeffress emerged from a life-changing telephone call shortly after 1:20 p.m. today with a one-word message, 'Brewers'.

The Milwaukee Brewers made Jeffress, the best pitching prospect in HCHS history, the no. 16 pick overall in the major league baseball first-year player draft.

Moments later, an enthusiastic crowd of family, friends, coaches and friends at Halifax County High School erupted with applause after watching the selection announced live on the Internet.

Jeffress is the first player in the modern history of Comet baseball to be selected in the first round of the draft.

Once he signs with the Brewers' organization, Jeffress can start his professional career.

When the word came, with a large gathering in place at the family's home in South Boston, Jeffress exchanged hugs and celebrated with his high school buddies.

Jeffress, asked to explain his emotions before his selection, said, "nervous, exciting.

"I'd love the people around, love my family came out to support me, and everybody. I thank them so much," said Jeffress.

Jeffress said, "as long as I'm in it (professional baseball), I don't care who I'm with.

"I'm ready to get it on, just play baseball," said Jeffress.

Reacting to his selection by the Brewers, Jeffress said, "baseball's a business, but I'm going to the best I can, do it the way I know how."

Immediately, his biggest adjustment is "going away from home, leaving my family, leaving everybody I love, but it's something I've to face?.I'm very prepared," Jeffress said.

Jeffress said he hoped to make the majors in two years, but the Comet righthander now faces a much steeper competition curve than ever before.

Nevertheless, no Comet has ever had the kind of opportunity Jeffress now has.

"Two years?and I'm ready to be in the majors," said Jeffress.

His dad, his eyes brimming with tears, said, "I'm so excited. I' surprised that he went as high as he did. I kind of thought in the late 20's?I'm estactic. I'm glad for Jeremy, I'm glad for my family," said Fred Jeffress.

Jeffress, named the Western Valley and Northwest Regional player of the year, instantly became a national name and a local celebrity as his selection was announced.

Comet head coach Kelvin Davis said, "I can't explain how I excited I am right now. Jeremy deserves it, and I'm just so we very glad we got the opportunity to be here today to actually experience this.

"The kid has worked really hard to develop his game, and it's just so nice that others saw what I saw in the kid. It's just amazing," said Davis.

The Washington Post, 05-30-2006:

Quote:
Forest Park's 14-game winning streak and season ended in a 1-0 home loss to Halifax in the first round of the Northwestern Region baseball tournament.

The game was a battle between two of the top senior pitchers in Virginia: Halifax's Jeremy Jeffress, who is expected to be a top 20 pick in the upcoming Major League Baseball draft, and Forest Park's Ryan Woolley (7-3), who has committed to pitch for Georgia next season.

Woolley -- one of three seniors for Cardinal District champion Forest Park (18-5) -- pitched 61/3 innings, struck out nine and gave up four hits and one run. Jeffress, whose fastball has been clocked at 99 mph, pitched a four-hitter, allowing no runs and striking out 12, to help Halifax improve to 14-7. Jeffress looked sharper as the game went on, striking out six of the last seven batters he faced -- four on called third strikes.

"Jeffress is a heck of a pitcher, and I have only seen a few of his caliber, but our young team didn't back down to him," Forest Park Coach Jerry Mobley said. "To battle him and only get beat 1-0 - - you don't want to take losses -- but I'll take that."

The Sports Network, 06-02-2006:

Quote:
Jeffress possesses one of the best fastballs of any prospect in this draft, an overpowering heater which has been reportedly reached triple digits on the radar gun. Also throws a slider that is inconsistent but could develop into a plus pitch. May project better as a reliever down the road, as he has had trouble maintaining his velocity deep into games. Is an emotional player. Although he lacks maturity somewhat, Jeffress' power arm and athletic build make him a lock for the first round and could push him into the top 10. He won't likely get past the Nationals, who have shown a preference for Virginia prospects, at No. 15.

SIGNED

Round 2: Brent Brewer - SS

6'2", 190 lbs, R/R - Sandy Creek HS (GA)

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Camper/PHOTO/BRENTBREWERNIKE1150.JPG

Here are a few pictures of Brewer that Patrick Ebert took during the scrimmage of last summer's Aflac All-American Classic:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/brewer2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/brewer1.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

Brewer was the starting shortstop for the East squad as part of the Aflac All-American Classic. While he is an amazing natural athlete, his actions are better suited to the outfield, and his game-changing speed makes him a natural fit in centerfield. He also has very good bat speed and intriguing power potential. He has a wiry and strong build with plenty of room to add more muscle mass. He is a rare and true five-tool athlete that excites any observer. A possible football career at Florida State is clouding his draft status, as scouts aren?t sure if he is committed to play baseball. If he is, his athletic talent alone makes him a likely round two pick.

Perfect Game / Patrick Ebert Coverage:

Perfect Game 2005 National Showcase profile

Aflac All-American Classic profile

Patrick Ebert's Observations from the Aflac All-American Classic (BP from practices):

Brent Brewer had some good hacks and has obvious power potential, and athletically is similar to fellow Georgian and former Aflac All-American P.J. Phillips.

Patrick Ebert's Observations from the Aflac All-American Classic (game):

The way the game started was indicative of how it would continue, as on a routine ground ball, East shortstop Brent Brewer air-mailed a throw to first base.

PG Crack of the Bat "Best Tools" column from the Aflac All-American Classic:

Best Athlete

1. Jared Mitchell

2. Brent Brewer

3. Jeff Rapoport

Mitchell didn't participate much before Saturday's Aflac All-American Classic, so I didn't get a good chance to get a feel for his overall game, but his athleticism is undeniable. Brewer had a tough outing during the Aflac game, and didn't stand out much during batting practice and the scrimmage, but you can see the athleticism and how Brewer could overcome any deficiency he may have given his God-given talents. Rapoport let his athletic ability be shown on everything he did on the field, from running to hitting to throwing, and word has it that he's a pretty good tailback in football as well. The best well-built athlete award goes to Devin Shepherd, who looked like a man among boys on the field. Everyone at the event is such a good athlete, that it's hard to limit this list to just three.

Fastest Player

1. Derrick Robinson

2. Jared Mitchell

3. Ryan Adams

Pun only partially intended...Derrick Robinson runs away with this award. Jared Mitchell's speed is part of what makes him such an amazing athlete, while Ryan Adams not only has very good speed, but he also is a very instinctive base-runner. Rapoport and Brewer aren't far behind on this list.

Biographical Information:

- Brewer attended Sandy Creek High School in Tyrone, a small town in Fayette County, Georgia, just outside of Atlanta.

- Brewer was a prolific two-way player for his high school football team and played on the Varsity squad all four years, starring at wide receiver and safety while also returning kickoffs and punts.

- Brewer was named to the 2005 All Area Baseball Team after hitting nine homers and stealing ten bases as a Junior.

The Atlanta Journal & Constitution, 04-14-2006:

Quote:
Sandy Creek shortstop Brent Brewer has a lot to prove, despite signing with Florida State, where he plans to play baseball and football. After a summer when his football training cut into his baseball success, he's determined to re-emerge as one of the nation's best baseball prospects. He spoke with staff writer Craig Custance about the draft, his summer and Bobby Bowden.

Q. How is it playing in front of scouts?

A. "I pretty much don't worry about it. I just go out there and have fun, show them I love the game. Last year I tried to live up to the hype; this year I'm trying to have fun and there's no pressure. I don't worry about it --- but I know they're there."

Q. Would you bypass Florida State if you were drafted?

A. "It depends on a couple things, but I definitely would consider going to the minor leagues if I got drafted.

Q. How did it go this summer?

A. "It went all right, [but] it didn't go as well as I thought it would. I was trying to do too much at the same time. I took three weeks off, so I was just working on football at the time. I went up to East Cobb and my bat wasn't as good as it was in high school ball. That messed me up big time. But I had fun, everything was fun. I wish I could have had a better season, but I'm back doing good. That's all I can ask for."

Q. So you have something to prove this spring?

A. "A little bit, a little bit. I'm just trying to work hard every day and not take a day off."

Q. Do you care which team drafts you?

A. "Oh, any team, it doesn't matter. As long as the money is there, it doesn't matter. My favorite team would probably be the Mets."

Q. Are you a better football player or baseball player?

A. "I would say baseball player. I started football in ninth grade, and I've been playing baseball since I was 5 or 6."

Q. What was the most exciting thing to happen to you this year?

A. "Probably the AFLAC All-American baseball game [in Maryland] - -- meeting all the top players in the country and playing against them."

Q. Did Bobby Bowden visit?

A. "He came down here two months ago. It was amazing. He was probably the nicest guy I've ever met. He's a laid-back guy --- it was just amazing. He's a legend."

Florida Times Union, 01-30-2006:

Quote:
The Seminoles also picked up a commitment from Tyrone (Ga.) Sandy Creek wide receiver Brent Brewer. After visits to Mississippi State, Georgia and FSU on consecutive weekends, Brewer chose the Seminoles. He is academically qualified and might also try to play baseball for FSU.

Florida Times Union, 01-14-2006:

Quote:
Sandy Creek wide receiver/safety Brent Brewer says Georgia is now his leader. Brewer is scheduled to visit Mississippi State this weekend and Florida State next weekend. "Everything stood out," Brewer said of his visit to Georgia last weekend. "I didn't know they were that short [at receiver]. I can come in and play early, and that was a big thing for me." Brewer plans to play both football and baseball in college and said he talked to baseball coach David Perno about playing center field.

The Atlanta Journal & Constitution, 04-14-2005:

Quote:
Householder has tweaked the Patriots' lineup and has shored up his defense in the process, moving Chris Vazquez up from the freshman team to play shortstop and switching junior Brent Brewer to left field.

"That's probably where he's going to play at the next level," Householder said. "We just made the change and it's really helped us."

Last Updated: 06-06-2006 8:04PM CDT

SIGNED

Round 3: Cole Gillespie - LF

6'1", 205 lbs, R/R - Oregon St. University

http://www.necbl.com/images/Gillespie.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

- Oregon State player profile

- Hit .383/.502/.706 this year through 201 at-bats (53 games played) so far this season with 73 runs, 53 RBI, 23 2B, 3 3B, 12 HR, 142 TB, 41:27 BB:K, 15 for 19 stolen bases, and 2 errors.

Brewerfan.net scouting report

Gillespie is a great example that hard work eventually pays off. He is an extremely versatile player that has played just about every position for the Beavers. Gillespie exploded this season emerging as the Beavers' best hitter for a team heading to the NCAA Super Regionals while filling in for the injured Tyler Graham and the departed Jacoby Ellsbury, a first-round pick from a year ago. Gillespie has a little bit of everything. In addition to having the ability to play numerous positions, he can hit for both average and power while showing a very good eye at the plate, and has decent wheels that helps him leg out doubles and triples while also allowing him to be a threat on the basepaths while covering a respectable amount of ground in the outfield. A shoulder injury and persistent problems in his throwing shoulder probably limits him to left field as he moves up the ladder.

- Attended West Linn High School in West Linn, Oregon, the hometown of Mitch Williams and Cade McNown.

Baseball America scouting report:

Quote:
3. Cole Gillespie, of (National rank: 122)

School: Oregon State

Class: Jr.

Hometown: West Linn, Ore.

B-T: R-R

Ht.: 6-1

Wt.: 200

The best hitter on Oregon State's first-place team in the Pacific-10 Conference, Gillespie has improved his draft stock considerably this season. Scouts regularly describe him as a hard-nosed player who doesn't have a glaring weakness and has solid tools across the board. He impressed scouts last year by playing both infield corner spots and has spent a lot of time in center field in 2006, filling in for the injured Tyler Graham. His versatility and solid bat may lead him to become a valuable utility player in the future. Gillespie's arm is fringe-average, and he's a solid athlete and runner. His bat is his best tool, as scouts consider his hit tool average or slightly above-average. While he has considered switch-hitting in the past, he has a sound righthanded swing that generates average power and allows him to catch up to good fastballs, as he did when he hit a homer off Tim Lincecum in May. Gillespie has had left shoulder problems in the past and doesn't do anything pretty, but his performance in a draft shy on college hitters was expected to earn him a spot in the first five rounds.

MLB.com scouting report:

Quote:
One of the most improved college bats with decent tools. Shoulder surgeries have weakened his arm, so he probably profiles as a left fielder.

The Oregonian (Portland), 06-05-2006:

Quote:
When Pat Casey inherited the Oregon State baseball program 12 seasons ago, he imagined Pacific-10 Conference championships and College World Series appearances.

Maybe even a national championship.

But he never expected the Beavers to produce as many as 10 or 11 players for one Major League Baseball amateur draft.

"Uh, no," Casey said. "I didn't."

The Pac-10 title and College World Series appearance arrived last season, and now so too might the exorbitant number of draft picks. When the Kansas City Royals kick off the 2006 first-year player draft Tuesday with the No. 1 selection, Oregon State will boast its deepest group of potential draftees in school history.

One Major League Baseball scout, speaking on the condition on anonymity, named 11 Beavers who might get drafted this week, including potential first-rounder Dallas Buck and possible early-round picks Mitch Canham and Cole Gillespie.

How remarkable would it be for 10 Beavers to get drafted? That's nearly half the number of Oregon State alumni who played professional baseball last season (23) and nearly double the previous high number of draft picks (six) the school produced in 2003.

Last season, the state enjoyed perhaps the most successful draft in its history when three Oregon natives were taken in the first round or Compensatory A round and seven Oregonians in all were taken on the first day. The Beavers on Tuesday could provide the state with a two-year run.

"Oregon State is loaded," said the scout, who oversees the Northwest. "Pat has done a great job of getting the right guys in there and really developing them to get ready for the next level. It's put Oregon baseball on the map --big time."

It starts with a pitching staff that features at least three potential draft picks, including all-American ace Buck. The 6-foot-3 right-hander was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 19th round of the 2003 draft after earning Class 4A player of the year honors at Newberg High School.

Because Buck had hoped to go in the top five rounds that year, he instead took a scholarship to Oregon State and has since blossomed into one of college baseball's premier starting pitchers. The past two seasons, Buck is 23-3 with 193 strikeouts in just over 230 innings. Opponents have hit less than .200 against him.

"Dallas is a winner, plain and simple," Casey said. "I know that every time we give him the baseball, he's going to give us a tremendously competitive effort."

Right-hander Jonah Nickerson and left-hander Kevin Gunderson --who competed for Team USA last summer --also should be selected during the draft's first day, possibly in the top 10 rounds.

A glance at Gunderson's statistics would make one wonder why he isn't a sure-fire first rounder. He's been arguably college baseball's top closer the past two seasons, notching 29 saves --including the third-most (15) in the nation this season --and Casey says Gunderson is one of his most reliable and durable pitchers. He's averaged nearly a strikeout per inning during his college career.

But the knock on Gunderson, even when he went 12-0 as a high school senior at Central Catholic, is his slight, 5-10, 165-pound frame. Scouts likely will overlook that, however, to attain a left-hander with good control that can touch 90 miles per hour on the radar gun.

"(Gunderson) is 155 pounds soaking wet, but his competitiveness is off the charts," the scout said. "He wants to win. He could be a successful situational lefty in the majors."

Nickerson went undrafted out of Oregon City High School even though some thought he might go as early as the 10th round. He's used the slight as motivation and, thanks to pinpoint control and an incredible work ethic, has compiled a 22-9 record during his Oregon State career.

The past two seasons, his ERA hasn't topped 2.61 and he's had more strikeouts than Buck (201).

"I just put my glove out there and he hits the spot every time," Canham said. "He's the easiest guy to catch because he goes up there with a plan and he knows what he wants to do. He's just a real smart kid."

Beyond the three high-profile pitchers, Gillespie and Canham figure to be the highest Beavers selected, projecting anywhere from the third to the ninth rounds.

After playing every position except catcher in high school in Washington, Casey told Canham after his redshirt freshman season in 2004 that catcher was his future at Oregon State. And Canham was a natural.

While steering one of the nation's top pitching staffs, Canham, who hits left handed, has been an offensive force, batting .313 with 15 home runs and 82 RBIs the past two seasons. Scouts are enticed by Canham's raw catching talent and strong 6-2, 212-pound frame.

"I always heard being a left-handed hitting catcher was going to boost my (draft) status," Canham said. "But I was just willing to do anything to get on the field. It's been hard to crack the starting lineup on this team because we've had so many good players."

Gillespie arrived at Oregon State as a shortstop/pitcher from West Linn High School and had hoped to compete for playing time as a freshman. Instead, he endured two shoulder surgeries, a position change to the outfield and a redshirt year.

After two modest seasons as a backup, Casey challenged Gillespie this season to be the Beavers' offensive leader, filling a void created by Andy Jenkins' departure last June as an 11th-round draft pick by the Florida Marlins.

Gillespie answered Casey's challenge with a team-high .370 average, 11 home runs, 20 doubles and 50 RBIs --and an award for Pac-10 Player of the Year.

"Cole was someone who had to wait his turn, and sometimes it's hard for kids to wait," Casey said. "But I tell kids it's not where you're at after the first year that matters, but where you're at after the third or possibly fifth year. Cole stuck it out and kept working hard and had trust in the program and now, potentially, he's a third-round draft pick that will be rewarded with half a million dollars."

It's an appropriate fate for Gillespie, who in high school wrote a senior paper called "How to make it to the major leagues."

"Looking back to my high school days and even before, I always knew what I wanted to do," Gillespie said. "I remember that paper said that a lot of people have the dream of making it to the big leagues or playing professional baseball. But I said in that paper that I knew I was going to do it."

And unlike past seasons, Gillespie should be surrounded by plenty of Oregon State teammates in this year's draft.

"People are finally realizing that there's talent in the Northwest and talent at Oregon State," Canham said. "Hopefully, this is the start of a tradition that continues over the years."

The Pac-10 website, 5-30-06:

Quote:
Oregon State junior outfielder Cole Gillespie was named the 2006 Pacific-10 Conference Baseball Player of the Year, while Washington junior right-hander Tim Lincecum earned Pitcher of the Year honors and Arizona State freshman Ike Davis was selected as the Freshman of the Year. Oregon State senior second baseman Chris Kunda earned the Conference's first Defensive Player of the Year award in a vote by the Conference baseball coaches. Oregon State skipper Pat Casey earned Coach of the Year honors after guiding the Beavers to their second consecutive league title, Commissioner Tom Hansen announced today.

Gillespie, from West Linn, Ore., scored 69 runs in the 2006 regular season, the most by any Pac-10 player this season and a new Oregon State single-season record. He led the Conference with a .683 slugging percentage and tied for first with a .492 on-base percentage, while ranking among the Pac-10 leaders in batting average (.370, 4th), RBI (50, 7th), doubles (20, 3rd), home runs (11, 5th) total bases (129, 5th), and stolen bases (14, t-4th). A Pac-10 Player of the Week honoree on May 29, Gillespie is a finalist for the Brooks Wallace Award.

The Oregonian (Portland), 05-26-2006:

Quote:
Even in the worst of times, it never occurred to Cole Gillespie that he just wasn't as good as his reputation.

And there have been a number of down times in the Oregon State junior's four years on campus.

Gillespie went, in less than a year, from being a superstar shortstop and pitcher at West Linn High School to sitting on the Oregon State bench as a redshirt, without a prayer of getting into the lineup.

In the same 2002-2003 season, he had shoulder surgery on an arm so sore it was hard to throw a baseball --the most natural thing he'd ever done.

The OSU coaches even moved him from his pet shortstop position --twice. He watched his roommate start every day. OK, so the roommate was Jacoby Ellsbury but that didn't make the sitting any easier.

Maybe the low point came not in Oregon, but in Alaska, in the summer of 2003.

"My brother (Brett) was playing for the Aloha Knights that year," Gillespie said Wednesday, "and they went up to Alaska to play some games. My whole family went up there, and I didn't know what to do with myself. Watching all those games was just killing me."

Yet it all sounds so farfetched now, judging from the season Gillespie is having for the No. 5 Beavers. He is tied for the team lead with a .365 batting average, and the same guy who had exactly one home run going into what might be his last year as a Beaver has hit 10 this season.

He has been the best clutch hitter in an inconsistent offense. In his current nine-game hitting streak, he has hit .438, with a pair of home runs and 15 RBIs.

Typically, he writes off his current success as the by-product of finally playing every day. This has been the first year he has started every game.

"I made a little (hitting) adjustment," he said. "Other than that, just being in the lineup and getting a lot of swings has made the difference."

There's something else, OSU coach Pat Casey said.

"He absolutely believed that he was going to be a player some day," Casey said. "Through those tough times when he was injured or not playing, he kept working on things to make himself better.

"He never doubted himself, not once. He continued to trust in what we were doing with him."

It wasn't always easy. Gillespie signed to play at Oregon State fully expecting to be what he was told he would be: A shortstop and pitcher.

He not only was an all-state player but was the most valuable player in the Oregon-Washington all-star series.

But when Gillespie got to Corvallis, the Beavers first considered him at third base, then briefly at first base. Then, they redshirted him.

Last year, they put him in as the designated hitter just to get his bat into the lineup (he hit .319), then finally found a home for him in right field.

It was there, against Tulane in the College World Series last June, that he made a memorable --if bitterly unsuccessful --dive for a line drive in the right-field gap that eluded his glove and drove in the tying and winning runs.

Now Gillespie is in left field, and he likes it.

"I'm as comfortable in left field as I've ever been at shortstop," he said. "It took awhile, but my days of playing infield are past me."

Pitching never really was part of the plan.

"I found out when I looked in my locker one day and I didn't see any Nike shoes. Pitchers got shoes to run in, so I assumed that I wasn't going to pitch."

Then he wasn't going to play shortstop. Then he wasn't going to play third base.

"I think the change of positions was a hard adjustment for him to make," Casey said. "He was all right with going from shortstop to third base, but it was hard for him to give that up and go to the outfield."

Outfield, Gillespie learned, was a whole new art form.

"Last year was a difficult adjustment," he said. "Everybody thinks outfield is just running balls down and catching them.

"But you have to learn to judge the spin off the bat, and how the ball sounds when it leaves the bat."

It's all second nature now, but once upon a time it was a tough adjustment.

Come to think of it, so was everything else. But it has all worked out just fine.

The Portland Tribune, 5-9-06:

Quote:
Before the season, Oregon State baseball coach Pat Casey had a sit-down with his left fielder, Cole Gillespie.

Casey wanted to make clear the Beavers? need for both leadership and consistent production from the junior from West Linn in 2006.

?We challenged Cole to take on a little bigger role,? Casey says. ?That may not be his personality, but he felt like he had to prove something. He wanted to do that.?

Last Friday, with Oregon State facing its biggest challenge of the season ? 22nd-ranked Washington and arguably the nation?s premier pitcher, Tim Lincecum ? Gillespie stepped up big-time. The cleanup hitter swatted a towering three-run homer to provide an early 3-0 lead and knocked in OSU?s other run with a single on a night when Lincecum struck out 16 batters in a 6-4 UW win. Gillespie also was sensational with the glove, leaping over the left-field fence to rob a Husky hitter of a home run.

?Cole was terrific,? Casey says. ?But that?s what he?s been doing for us. He?s put up big offensive numbers. That?s why we put him in the four-hole.?

Gillespie looked forward to hitting against Lincecum, whom he had faced several times in college and summer ball.

?I don?t think I?d ever gotten a hit off him before,? Gillespie says. ?I?d walked about five times and struck out a few times against him, as well. Without a doubt, (Lincecum) is the best pitcher I?ve faced in our conference. I?d put him right in there with Dallas (Buck) and Jonah (Nickerson). With his velocity and curveball, he?s one of the most intimidating pitchers in the country.?

Gillespie has done a little intimidating of his own, batting .354 with team highs of nine home runs and 39 RBIs. He leads the Pac-10 in runs scored with 57 and ranks among the league?s top seven in walks (33), slugging percentage (.646), on-base percentage (.485) and stolen bases (12).

Gillespie?s coaches and teammates consider him the player who has filled the role vacated by first baseman Andy Jenkins, the go-to hitter on last year?s College World Series club.

?Cole?s been the guy we have looked for to drive in the big run, or start an inning by getting on base,? says Nickerson, the star right-hander from Oregon City.

Gillespie was a three-sport athlete at West Linn and a first-team all-conference football player at safety and receiver. Portland State offered a football scholarship. But baseball always has been his first love, and though he grew up a University of Oregon football fan, ?that quickly changed when I signed with Oregon State,? he says, adding that ?playing at home in front of my family and friends and in the Pac-10 is the best.?

As a redshirt freshman in 2004, Gillespie broke into the starting lineup late in the season and, as a first and third baseman, hit .290 in 62 at-bats. Playing mostly outfield last season as a part-time starter, he hit .319 with a .455 on-base percentage. After his second shoulder surgery last summer, this has been a breakout season for him.

?When I was recruiting Cole, I saw a really good athlete you knew someday would develop into a player,? Casey says. ?He?s battled some injuries, but he?s a good kid who works hard and has made himself a real good player.?

The OSU Daily Barometer, 04-16-2006:

Quote:
Position changes are common in a sport like baseball where rosters often contain more than 50 players. The depth chart looks more like a grocery list, with each player listed as playing a plethora of positions. For Cole Gillespie of the Oregon State baseball team, his list extends longer than most players, with his current position coming at his request.

While playing at West Linn High School, Gillespie was used primarily as a shortstop where he earned first team all-state honors his senior year. While batting .523 in his senior campaign, Gillespie also was counted on for his pitching contribution. His 5-2 record, .76 earned run average, and 46 innings pitched, on top of his heavy load from playing shortstop, took its toll. He was forced to miss and redshirt the entire 2003 season because of a shoulder problem.

"I came in with a bum arm that might have been due to some overuse in high school with pitching," Gillespie said. "That was kind of frustrating sitting. The couple surgeries on my shoulder feel better now."

More importantly, the lost time left Gillespie searching for a new position that incorporated a shorter throw to first base as his shoulder continued to heal.

With the explosive bat that he so welcomed in high school, Gillespie landed at first base. But he played just sparingly during his redshirt freshman year in 2004. It was not until the second half of the season that Gillespie began seeing regular at-bats and defensive innings at first base.

After redshirting a year and seeing little time for the first half of the season, Gillespie basically had a year and a half of no regular playing time. It was a concept unfamiliar to him.

"It was somewhat difficult," Gillespie said of the long hiatus between playing regularly. "It was more frustrating because you come in with high expectations to get playing time early. When that doesn't happen it's a little frustrating. As I started cracking into the lineup I felt more comfortable."

The same time Gillespie was making the switch to first base, Andy Jenkins was improving his game and had a steady lock on the position. With each game that progressed, Jenkins grew stronger and looked more accustomed at first base. Much like Gillespie, Jenkins was also switching from a position he was not completely accustomed to.

"He [Jenkins] was a transition from third base too, so he didn't play much first base until college," said Gillespie. "Together we worked on our own, mainly on footwork and finally we fine-tuned the position."

In addition to the limited time at first base, Gillespie also saw action as a designated hitter.

When Gillespie's sophomore season began in 2005, the idea of serving as a first baseman and designated hitter still interested him. But knowing more playing time could be available in the outfield, Gillespie suggested to OSU coaches that a switch be made to the outfield.

"That was my idea," said Gillespie. "I mentioned to the coaches about working as an outfielder with Jenkins holding first base down. It was my decision to move to the outfield and I think it was a pretty good deal and it worked out better for the team."

The move paid huge dividends for the Beavers as Gillespie was a prominent member of the 2005 team that went to the College World Series. His .319 average was a huge asset, even though his playing time was not always guaranteed.

"It helps us out a lot," OSU pitcher Dallas Buck said of Gillespie. "With all of the injuries we've had, being able to put him in the infield and outfield helps a lot."

With the 2006 season underway, Gillespie has finally found a permanent home in the outfield. While battling injuries himself, Gillespie has hit a respectful .358 while leading the team with six home runs. Gillespie is currently in the midst of a seven-game span where he's hit three home runs and scored nine runs.

His flexibility only improves a club that is searching for a return trip to the College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

"He's really versatile and he's been able to play in the outfield in any position," said OSU head coach Pat Casey. "He's gotten off to a really good start and I hope he maintains it."

The New England Collegiate Baseball League website, 5-10-05:

Quote:
The North Adams SteepleCats, of the New England Collegiate Baseball League are pleased to announce the signings of Cole Gillespi and Miles Orman. Orman comes to North Adams from Western Kentucky University and Gillespie from the 3rd ranked Oregon State. Orman is a 6'2" right-handed pitcher and Gillespie is a 6'1" right-handed hitting infielder.

Cole Gillespie is a red-shirted sophomore at Oregon State University where he is seeing time at a number of positions. OSU is currently 36-8. The Beavers are presently ranked 3rd in the latest Baseball America polls. Gillespie is being used primarily as a utility player due in part to his team's success and extreme depth. Gillespie is currently hitting .327 with 12 RBI's in 52 at-bats. He has 11 walks and only 8 strikes-outs giving him an excellent on-base percentage of .431. In 2004, Gillespie had five multi-hit games as a freshman. He hit .381 over a five game hitting streak in late April with a homerun, a triple, and three doubles. During the summer he played in the Pacific Collegiate wooden bat league and hit .405 with 5 home runs and 26 RBI's and more walks than strikeouts.

"The thing I hope to use the most with the 'Cats is my versatility," said Gillespie, "I have played the corner infield positions, short stop, and am even working in the outfield, plus I hope to get my left handed swing back and possibly switch hit."

In high school Gillespie lettered for three seasons at West Linn High School under Coach Curt Scholl. During his junior season he batted .400 at the plate and posted a 6-1 record with a 0.86 ERA as a pitcher. He was chosen as an All-State Honorable Mention and an All-League First Team selection at shortstop as well as an All-League Second Team selection on the mound. As a senior he batted .532 with 6 homeruns, 3 triples, 7 doubles, and 19 RBI's. He also posted a 5-2 record on the hill with a .76 ERA over 46 innings of work. He was honored with All-State First Team honors as a shortstop and also garnered the Co-Player of the Year Award. He participated in the Oregon-Washington All-Star Series and was selected as the Oregon MVP and series Outstanding Offensive Player. Cole was born to Brad and Gay Gillespie and is majoring in Liberal Arts.

"The big question with Cole is when will he actually arrive in North Adams. At the rate that Oregon State is going, they could be playing in the College World Series this year. Recently, Cole has been playing almost everyday and usually hits in the 4th or 5th in the batting order. Cole can hit. He's shown that last year at College and over the summer and he's showing it once again after a slow start to the season. He's also one of the fastest guys on the team," said General Manager McGrath.

The Oregonian (Portland), 05-16-2002:

Quote:
Cole Gillespie will attend Oregon State as a step toward his dream -- playing big league baseball

When it came time for Cole Gillespie to pick a topic for his senior project, it didn't take long for an idea to surface.

The West Linn High School senior explored various subjects that interested him and investigated what he envisioned in his future. And then, like a 3-2 fastball, it came to him:

How to make it to the major leagues.

"I wanted to do something on a subject I was interested in," Gillespie said. "Well, baseball is my life. It's what I want my career to be. I really believe I am going to play professional baseball."

It's hard to argue with the 6-foot-1, 185-pound shortstop and pitcher.

Gillespie leads the Lions in nearly every statistical category. In Three Rivers League play, he is batting .500, with five home runs, 14 RBIs and 17 runs scored. He also has four doubles and two triples.

On the mound, Gillespie has a 4-2 league record -- 6-3 overall -- with a 0.58 ERA. He has 45 strikeouts and six walks in 36 innings.

"I think as far as being an all-around player, Cole is the best player that I have seen in the state this season," West Linn coach Curt Scholl said. "He's got the total package."

Gillespie has worked hard to reach this level. Odds are, if he isn't hanging out with friends or doing schoolwork, Gillespie is working on some aspect of his game.

West Linn has an indoor batting cage players can use during their free time. Gillespie said he tries to go daily, either with teammates or with his father, Brad. The two often are spotted in the cage at night, with Brad pitching to Cole.

If Gillespie can't find a partner, he often goes by himself and hits off of batting tees. On game days, he does this during sixth period, during which he does not have a class.

"He's most excited when he's out there on the field," Scholl said. "He's a kid that just really loves to be out there playing the game."

Gillespie searches for any and all ways to improve. This includes reading. He owns several baseball books and reads them constantly. Currently he is reading "The Science of Hitting" by Boston Red Sox legend Ted Williams. It's the third time Gillespie has read the book.

"Williams is the greatest hitter of all time, so I figured there was no better source to help me improve my hitting," Gillespie said. "I'm looking for any advantage I can get. I will try almost anything."

Gillespie also played football for the Lions and was a Three Rivers first-team selection on offense and defense. He had a team-high 600 receiving yards and six touchdown catches as a receiver on offense and led the Lions in tackles as a free safety on defense.

Gillespie made a game-winning touchdown reception with 13 seconds left during a 14-7 win against Putnam, and during a 69-30 victory over Milwaukie, returned a kickoff 88 yards for a touchdown, returned a punt 65 yards for a touchdown and also had a 16-yard touchdown reception.

"He's one of the best receivers I've ever coached," West Linn football coach Ron Chappell said. "He's one of those kids that if you just throw the ball up there, he will find a way to catch it. He has really soft hands, and he's athletic."

Chappell said that Portland State offered Gillespie a football scholarship. Instead, Gillespie will pursue his baseball dreams and attend Oregon State on a baseball scholarship.

He signed with the Beavers during the first day of school this season. OSU initially showed interest in Gillespie, he says, when he was a sophomore. An Oregon State coach was at the Lions' playoff opener in 2000 to scout his older brother, Brett, who now plays for the University of San Diego.

Cole was 2 for 3 with a grand slam in the game. Gillespie said he selected Oregon State because of the exposure the school provides.

"It's in the Pac-10, there are so many scouts looking at you, and you play the top teams in the country," Gillespie said. "I couldn't ask for anything more."

But that's next season. Now, Gillespie is preparing for the Class 4A playoffs, which begin Friday. The Lions (10-6 Three Rivers) defeated Clackamas 4-3 on Monday to earn the league's No. 3 seed.

West Linn will not be a favorite to win the championship but has been one of the state's hottest teams of late, winning five of its last seven and nine of its last 12. The playoffs will be another step in Gillespie's baseball progression -- a progression he believes ultimately will end in the major leagues.

"I've always really believed that I will play in the major leagues," Gillespie said. "A lot of people have the same dream and I know that. But I am going to work as hard as possible to make these dreams come true. I truly believe that I am going to make it."

June 7, 2006

Tony Blengino, Milwaukee's assistant director of scouting, said the Brewers were pleasantly surprised to see Gillespie still on the board in the third round.

"You could see him playing left, you could see him playing center, he has a pretty good feel for hitting, a really good approach at the plate," Blengino said. "We like the combination of on-base and power skills he brings."

"(The Brewers) have a lot of good young players," said Gillespie, who also was scouted heavily by Cleveland and the San Diego Padres. "It'd be better than, say, going to the Yankees, who buy veterans to play."

SIGNED

Round 4: Evan Anundsen - RHP

6'3", 200 lbs, R/R - Columbine HS (CO)

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/images/PlayerImages/05nata10.jpg

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2006/0319/20060319_063210_sp19malestu.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

Brewerfan.net scouting report:

Anundsen is a big, strong right-handed pitcher that has only scratched his potential, particularly pitching as a relative unknown in the state of Colorado. While he has shown a knack for pitching, as opposed to just throwing, he is a work in progress. Both his fastball and his curveball have shown improvement this spring, as he has touched 92, working in the upper 80s consistently, and his curveball shows very good bite when it's working for him. He is the top prospect in the state of Colorado, and no doubt the Brewers have noted some of the better prospects coming out of the state and becoming some of the best college prospects three years later (Kyle Sleeth, Luke Hochevar). He does have a strong commitment to attend Wichita State that won't be easy to pry him away from, but the Brewers undoubtedly are confident they can do just that by taking him in the fourth round.

Perfect Game 2005 National Showcase

Evan Anundsen is a 2006 right handed pitcher from Littleton, CO with a big strong body at 6-3, 204 lbs. loose and fluid arm action, medium effort delivery, slow deliberate mechanics, FB runs hard at 88 mph, sharp cut FB at 81 mph, CB has good 11-5 break at 68 mph, good deception on 81 mph change, good command, highest level prospect, very good student.

- As a junior, was Honorable Mention for the Rocky Mountain News All-Colorado Class 5A team.

- Attended the 2005 Area Code Games along with fellow Coloradans Gregg Glime (Smoky Hill), Brett Sowers (Cherry Creek), Andrew Scheid (Regis) and Shaver Hansen (Fruita Monument).

- Signed a letter of intent to play baseball at Wichita State for the Shockers.

- Named to the Rocky Mountain News Pre-Season Top Colorado 5A Pitchers List prior to the 2006 season. Columbine ranked third in the paper's preseason Top 10 rankings.

- Was selected to play in the Colorado Rockies Top 50 Senior All-Star Game, a showcase game at Coors Field with two 25-man rosters selected by a panel of media, coaches, scouts, and Rockies personnel. He flew back to Colorado in time for the game after spending some time at Miller Park.

- Throws a 90-91mph fastball. From the Fort Collins Coloradan on 05-12-2006: "They'll be throwing a different pitcher against us," [Fort Collins Coach] Brad Deal said. "I expect they'll start Evan Anundsen. He's 7-2, a righty and a good one. He throws 90, 91 miles an hour."

Anundsen, who boasts a 1.63 earned-run average and has 125 strikeouts and 16 walks in 68 2/3 innings, will face a Fort Collins lineup that features three .400-plus hitters in Brian Bello (.493), Garrett Houts (.441, 34 RBIs) and Matt Simpson (.431)."

- Was named the 2006 Colorado Baseball Player of the Year by Gatorade.

- Helped Columbine win the 2006 5A Colorado baseball title.

- Named 2006 Colorado pitcher of the year and first-team all Class 5A.

The Rocky Mountain News, 06-08-2006:

Quote:
He was 0-2 on the mound, his team was sputtering and his senior year was going nowhere near how he envisioned it.

Little did Evan Anundsen know, two months later, he and his Columbine baseball teammates proudly would be hoisting the Class 5A state championship trophy while Anundsen was designated the most valuable player of the state tournament.

He turned around his early misfortunes in such a drastically positive manner that he also earned the honor of Rocky Mountain News All-Colorado pitcher of the year.

"It was one of those years where everything just fell into place, even though it started a little rocky with my pitching and our team," said Anundsen, who went 10-2 with a 1.67 earned-run average and had a 5A-best 150 strikeouts.

"It's awesome just to be named the best pitcher in the state," Anundsen added. "That's what every pitcher out here strives to do, and I just had the season to do it."

So into it was Anundsen that he was chosen in the fourth round of the amateur draft by Milwaukee on Tuesday and is considering signing a professional contract. If not, he has a spot waiting for him at tradition-rich Wichita State.

The Denver Post, 06-07-2006:

Quote:
As he sat at a luncheon Tuesday honoring him as Jefferson County's Class 5A male athlete of the 2005-06 school year, recent Columbine High School graduate Evan Anundsen couldn't stop checking his cellphone.

It wouldn't ring. He was not unlike a nervous businessman waiting for a deal to go through, or anybody else, for that matter, in today's world of seemingly everyone with some type of phone device attached to an ear.

But then it happened - he got a message that was music to his ears. The Milwaukee Brewers made the 6-foot-4 right-hander their fourth-round pick of the Major League Baseball amateur draft.

"I was thinking that I had no service there," Anundsen said. "I was trying to figure it out, then it came. I'm a Brewer."

It was a light day for Colorado-based draftees - only one other schoolboy and five college players who prepped here were drafted, including former Fowler star Luke Hochevar, selected No. 1 by the Kansas City Royals.

And as predicted, Anundsen headed the local schoolboy field. The Wichita State signee let it be known he would consider turning professional if he was selected high enough by the right team and if it would be worth his while financially. He also worked out for the Boston Red Sox.

"Oh, yeah," Anundsen said when asked if he was seriously considering heading to rookie ball. "I'm very honored, and we need to sit down and work some things out. It's an honor, and I'm appreciative of the scholarship I've got, but we're going to look at the whole (pro) contract."

His mother, Laura, said she liked the fact that the Brewers followed through on their interest. Anundsen worked out for them the past weekend.

"It shows they care about him," she said.

A year ago, the player taken at the 121st slot got a contract in the range of $250,000.

In 2006, Anundsen led Columbine to its first big-school baseball title in 19 years by going 10-2, recording 150 strikeouts and hitting nine home runs. In the final, he went eight innings and showed little fatigue, a fact most scouts noted, said Chuck Gillman, Columbine's coach.

"Even in the eighth inning he was topping 90 mph," Gillman said. "He topped out at 94 (during the season) and he has been working on his slow-speed stuff."

The Denver Post, 06-06-2006:

Quote:
Under the bill of Evan Anundsen's baseball cap is a jagged list of one-liners. Tempo. Stay inside. Don't dip. Throw on top. Elbow up. Composure. No fear.

The reading material came in handy this season for the Columbine right-hander who helped the Rebels win their first state title since 1991 by compiling a 10-2 record and hitting nine home runs.

With a scholarship to Wichita State signed and sealed, Anundsen is waiting for today's major-league draft to see where he will be chosen and if it's high enough to consider forgoing college ball.

The list swirling around his head now deals with draft round, money, getting a degree and chasing a dream.

"It's awesome just to be able to say you got drafted in the top 10 rounds," Anundsen said. "I've heard I could possibly get drafted in the top five, and that's awesome."

Anundsen heads up a smaller-than-usual list of Colorado high school prospects that could hear their names called. Cherry Creek all-state shortstop Brett Sowers and Monarch power hitter Wade Landowski also are on the radar of scouts. Sowers began this week working out for the Los Angeles Dodgers and already has auditioned for the Rockies, according to his father.

Anundsen arrived at Sunday's prep all-star game at Coors Field fresh off a plane after his audition for the Milwaukee Brewers at Miller Park.

"It's awesome just to say you can rank yourself with some of the top kids across the country," he said.

Although he said there is no ``magic number'' that will cause him to forgo college, Anundsen said if he gets drafted in the first three rounds he is going pro.

The Rocky Mountain News, 05-25-2006:

Quote:
Columbine pitcher Evan Anundsen has been selected the Colorado baseball player of the year by Gatorade. In helping the Rebels to the Class 5A state title last weekend, Anundsen went 10-2 with a 1.67 earned-run average. The right-hander has signed to attend Wichita State.

The Rocky Mountain News, 5-20-06:

Quote:
It wasn't a case of pitcher Evan Anundsen blowing away the opposition or the Columbine lineup bashing the ball to every area of open acreage at All City Field.

Instead, the final piece of the Rebels' march to a Class 5A state baseball championship was a test of perseverance, a dramatic 5-4 eight-inning win against Mountain Vista that forced the Rebels to overcome an early deficit and a shaky first few innings from Anundsen.

Columbine (19-7) clinched the win and capped a perfect five-game run through the Championship Series when John Fink perfectly executed a suicide squeeze play to score C.J. Gillman from third. It made a winner of Anundsen, who struck out 13 in a complete-game performance and did not allow a run in the final six innings.

"It?s amazing," said Anundsen, the Rocky Mountain News state tournament most valuable player. "You can?t really express it into words. It?s just a big feel of joy I guess."

The Rebels, who would have had to play the Golden Eagles a second time had Mountain Vista won, used small ball to win it. Tied 4-4 entering the bottom of the eighth, catcher C.J. Gillman reached on an error and stole second. Anundsen, the clean-up hitter, then sacrificed him to third, setting up Fink?s winning bunt.

"I think it?s perfect that that?s the way we ended it in the state championship game, because the thing we?ve been working on all year is that small ball," Fink said. "Every single practice ? bunting, bunting, bunting."

Fink?s one-out bunt darted past pitcher Steve Zamora and toward shortstop and the Golden Eagles (16-10) had no play.

"When I got the sign I was just thinking that I had to get it down," Fink said. "I didn?t want to pop it up and have them turn two on us. I just wanted to get it down, but it turned out that it was in a pretty darn good spot for us."

The Rebels weren?t in as enviable a spot early. Danny Beck clobbered a first-inning, three-run homer to right-center off Anundsen to give Mountain Vista a 3-0 lead. Though Columbine got two runs back in the bottom of the inning against Golden Eagles starter Joe Allison, Mountain Vista pushed the advantage to 4-2 in the top of the second on an RBI double by Chris Harman.

Allison and Anundsen then settled in and the score remained the same until the bottom of the sixth. That?s when Columbine?s Nick Wiggins tied it 4-4 with a bases-loaded single.

Mountain Vista had a chance to take the lead in the top of the eighth after a one-out triple by Zach Higgins, but Anundsen struck out Travis Cruz and coaxed Nick Robertson to pop out to center.

Anundsen threw 139 pitches but said he could have continued.

"I could have gone again," Anundsen said. "I was going to go out there for the next inning, but I definitely was getting tired there at the end."

Said Gillman: "He was throwing harder in the last three innings than he was the first three innings. That adrenaline kicked in and he was just huckin? and chuckin?."

For Gillman, whose father, Chuck, is the Rebels coach, the way Columbine triumphed gave him a sense of redemption.

"We got knocked out of the tournament two years ago in the exact same way, man," Gillman said. "The Regis cleanup hitter beat us with a squeeze."

For Mountain Vista, the loss concluded an impressive Championship Series run. It began with a loss to Grand Junction, but the Golden Eagles won three straight and can take pride in earning the designation of state runner-up.

"We were not picked as a team to even look at, so essentially we were picked to be ninth out of 11 teams (in the Continental League)," Golden Eagles coach Keith Wahl said. "You know what? We won the league. We came out here. We won a district. We knew we could win a state championship too, but we just came up short."

Had the Golden Eagles won, they likely would have started Beck on the mound in the second game. Columbine likely would have countered with Fink. But thanks to Fink?s bunt, the Rebels didn?t have to make that decision.

"Sure, a 10-run win is less tense, but to win it like that is a feeling you can?t describe," Fink said.

Columbine became the first Jefferson County League to claim the 5A title since Pomona in 2003.

"It?s just awesome man," C.J. Gillman said. "Winning one with my dad as the coach, you can?t beat that. Oh my God it feels good."

The Denver Post, 05-21-2006:

Quote:
Colorado's latest entry into 57 years of big-school baseball history was practically certain to be a new one, with seven of eight teams never having been to the Championship Series before.

The series was capped by extra innings and about a dozen gutsy plays and performances for first-time winners.

Ultimately, a perfect suicide-squeeze bunt by John Fink in the bottom of the eighth inning Saturday scored C.J. Gillman with the deciding run as Columbine outlasted Mountain Vista 5-4 before a near-capacity crowd at All-City Field for its third state baseball title. The Rebels also won titles in 1987 and 1991.

Fink's bunt, with one out, was intricately placed between the third baseman and the pitcher's mound and Gillman scored easily for the Rebels, who played error-free ball for much of the Series and ended 19-7, winning 18 of their last 20 games. Hard-luck Mountain Vista, in just its third year of varsity play, finished 16-10.

"It's so sweet to get one for my dad," Gillman said of his team's coach, veteran Chuck Gillman.

C.J. Gillman opened the bottom of the eighth by reaching on an error by Mountain Vista second baseman Chris Harman. With cleanup hitter and eventual winning pitcher Evan Anundsen at the plate, Columbine's attempt at a hit-and-run was nearly botched as Anundsen missed one low and away and Golden Eagles catcher Brandon Davis' throw clearly beat Gillman to the bag. However, Gillman slid right and past the bag, then beat Harman's tag back to it.

"Two games ago and on the exact same play with Evan hitting, I slid right into the bag," Gillman said. "Same thing here, but I went outside, then came back to the bag."

Anundsen followed by sacrificing Gillman to third, then Fink placed a bunt right where he wanted it.

"One thing we've been working on all year is bunting," Fink said. "And it won us a state title."

It had been mostly Mountain Vista into the sixth. Despite Anundsen - the state's top pitcher - on the mound, Mountain Vista grabbed a 3-0 lead in the first on two walks and a three-run, opposite-field home run to right by Danny Beck.

Columbine grabbed two back in the bottom of the first on a single by Gillman, a double by Anundsen and an error.

But Mountain Vista pushed it to 4-2 in the second on a single by Nick Robertson and a double by Harman.

"Those guys came out swinging," Anundsen said. "I just kind of decided ? that I had to start throwing or we're not going to get this."

Mountain Vista starter Joe Allison appeared in command, at one point retiring 12 Rebels in succession.

The Rebels forged a 4-4 tie in the sixth on a walk, singles by Fink and J.T. Baum, then the biggest hit of the game, a two-run single by No. 8 hitter Zach Wiggins off Golden Eagles reliever Steve Zamora.

All the while, Mountain Vista kept threatening. In all, the Golden Eagles stranded runners in every inning but the seventh.

In the eighth, a one-out triple by Zach Higgins was wasted as Anundsen, who settled in after using 48 pitches to get through two innings and struck out 14 for the game, whiffed Travis Cruz and got Robertson on a fly to center.

"I felt like we stranded a few too many runners," Golden Eagles coach Keith Wahl said. "We put all the pressure we possibly could and I couldn't ask any more from that group.

"We were knocking at the door all the time. All you can do is ask to challenge the best pitcher in the state, and we did. We only needed one more (hit)."

And that hit went to Fink, who was credited with a single and gave Chuck Gillman his first title in 18 years as head coach, including stints at Denver's East, Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson.

"It's great, isn't it?" he said in acknowledging that the title was a little sweeter with his son playing a big part. "We finally got a break and showed that we can hang in there with some pretty good guys."

The Rocky Mountain News, 05-18-2006:

Quote:
NO MORE TENNIS: Just like his older sister Sara, Columbine pitcher Evan Anundsen grew up playing tennis. Unlike his sibling, a three-time state champion, Evan gave up the sport. "When I went out for the team freshman year, everyone was like, 'Oh, that's Sara's younger brother, he must be pretty good.' In fact, it was just the opposite!" Evan did make it to state as a doubles player, then decided to concentrate on baseball. That's how he plans to live up to the family legacy. "I'm enjoying baseball and it seems to be working out," he said. It could work out real well for Evan next month. That's when he is expected to be picked in the first five rounds of the amateur baseball draft. If not, he has a scholarship at Wichita State waiting.

The Denver Post, 05-14-2006:

Quote:
One victory from being in command of the 2006 Class 5A championship series, Columbine's inauspicious 1-5 beginning to the season seems like an eternity ago.

"Yeah, it does," Rebels senior Evan Anundsen said.

This is May, not March.

In opening rounds of the double-elimination tournament Friday at All-City Field, the Rebels handled Fort Collins 6-2 in their opener, then blasted defending Colorado champion Grand Junction 15-2.

The Rebels (16-7), who won for the 12th time in 13 games, will take on Chaparral on Saturday at All-City in the winners' bracket game, the top position to be in next weekend, when the title will be decided. Grand Junction, which handled Mountain Vista 3-2 in the first round, had its 15-game winning streak snapped and dipped to 19-4.

After dropping two of three games in state, then losing their first three in an out-of-state tournament, Columbine eventually got it together behind Anundsen and a lineup that displayed abilities to fight, claw and scratch out runs.

And it was on display Friday.

Head coach Chuck Gillman elected not to start Anundsen on the mound in the opener and it appeared costly early as Fort Collins took a 2-0 lead. However, Anundsen ripped a two-run homer to tie it and the Rebels tacked on four more through an assortment of contributions.

Against Grand Junction, the Rebels got a bonus - Anundsen was needed for only three innings and their offense pounded out 13 hits, took advantage of three errors and four hit batsmen, and rolled.

"The kids have really picked it up," Gillman said. "It's nice. We saved Evan's arm a little and we had a lot of good at-bats."

Columbine threatened in the first, but came up empty. No matter. The Rebels strung together innings of three, one, seven and four runs to quickly turn it into a laugher, going through three Grand Junction pitchers in the process.

Jeff Cicchinelli, Scott Anundsen, C.J. Gillman, Domonic Montoya and Curtis Cunningham each had two hits as every Rebels starter reached base at least twice.

Montoya, who was a reserve, led the way with four runs batted in. Cicchinelli, Gillman and Cunningham each added two. Center fielder J.T. Baum scored four times. The Rebels also stole eight bases.

The barrage of runs allowed Evan Anundsen, the Wichita State-bound right-hander who struck out 19 batters in the past weekend's two victories in districts, to be fresh if needed against Chaparral. Coach Gillman said he wasn't sure if Anundsen would start Saturday, but wouldn't hesitate to bring him in.

"I felt pretty good, but, mechanically, I was all over the place," Anundsen said. "It may have been having that game beforehand, just playing the entire time (as an outfielder) got me tired. I just wanted to get through this game as quick as possible and get to (Saturday)."

He improved to 8-2.

Grand Junction managed only five hits.

SIGNED

Round 5: Chris Errecart - LF

6'1", 215 lbs, S/L - U. of California - Berekley

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cal/sports/m-basebl/auto_headshot/105974.jpeg

NOTES & INFO:

Errecart and Brennan Boesch has given the Cal Bears quite a lethal power combination in the middle of their lineup the past couple of years. Errecart blossomed on the Cape last summer despite struggling his first two years in college, being named the league?s fourth-best prospect according to Baseball America after finishing tied for second in home runs with six despite missing the last three weeks of the season. Errecart is a rare left-handed throwing, right-handed hitting athlete who has power potential to spare. He crushes mistakes, but does have the propensity to swing and miss a lot, and has never been one to accumulate lofty walk totals. He can play left field, but may be better off at first base. In other words, he has a vast amount of potential, but he needs to harness it to live up to it.

From the Stockton Record, 5-24-06:

Errecart Eyes Next

The junior year of a college baseball player is critical.

Reputations can be built or destroyed in a matter of months, as major-league scouts pour over statistics and evaluate talent in preparation for the Amateur Entry Draft in June. College baseball players are eligible for the draft after their junior year, so each at-bat and every chance in the field presents an opportunity for them to gain credibility or lose ground.

There was a time this season when Cal junior left fielder and former Lincoln High standout Chris Errecart was trying too hard to garner attention from scouts and Internet services that follow a prospect's every move.

"It's been a semi-disappointing year," said Errecart, whose two-run double led Cal to a 3-2 victory over University of the Pacific on Tuesday at Klein Family Field. "Most of the year I tried to put too much pressure on myself and I thought more about what was going on outside the stadium instead of inside the lines. It got to me a little bit."

Errecart adopted a more relaxed approach at the plate about one month ago, and positive results have followed. Over the previous 10 games, he had raised his batting average 17 points to .281. Errecart has eight home runs and 29 RBI for the Golden Bears, similar to last season when he hit .298 with eight homers and 35 RBI.

"It's hard, but you have to get past it and keep playing baseball," Errecart said. "I definitely want to sign. It's something I've been ready for my entire life."

Cal coach Dave Esquer, who played at Stanford with Pacific coach Ed Sprague, said it's harder to be a college junior now than when he and Sprague played.

"When Ed was drafted as a junior, that really wasn't a big focus," said Esquer, who's in his seventh season at Cal. "There wasn't so much media. The Internet wasn't there, and the scouts and representatives weren't around as much as they are now. It was kind of play, count the numbers at the end, and whatever people thought of you at the end was the way it was going to be."

Pro scouts have told Esquer that Errecart could be selected as high as the second round in the draft. He warned, too, that scouting is an inexact science.

Errecart has been on the "must watch" list since his days at Lincoln. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound multi-talent led the Trojans to two consecutive league titles and to the 2003 Sac-Joaquin Section Division I championship game.

He batted .521 with 12 home runs, 41 RBI and 20 stolen bases as a senior at Lincoln, and then played in 32 games and hit .256 with three home runs and 19 RBI his freshman season at Cal. The durable outfielder has started in all but two games since the start of his sophomore season.

Errecart boosted his status last summer after batting .303 with six home runs, 22 RBI, five doubles, and one triple in the Cape Cod League. Baseball America named him the fourth-best professional prospect out of the Cape Cod League and a pre-season All-American. Errecart was in prestigious company in the scout's eyes, but the accolades brought on more pressure.

"The hype is either put on you or not," Esquer said. "It's almost easier to be a surprise than it is to be a known entity in college baseball."

June 7, 2006

Dreams come true for Errecart

Errecart drafted on Day 1

JASON ANDERSON

Stockton Record Staff Writer

STOCKTON - Chris Errecart woke up at 8:30 a.m. and ate a four-egg omelet with bacon, cheese and jalapenos. He went to his parents' computer, logged on to the Internet and waited for his name to appear on the draft board at MLB.com.

He didn't have to wait long.

The Milwaukee Brewers selected Errecart, a junior outfielder from Cal who starred at Lincoln High School, in the fifth round with the 152nd overall pick, making him the first area player picked on the first day of the amateur draft. He was followed by University of the Pacific pitcher Eric Stolp and Pacific infielder Anthony Jackson.

"I'm pumped," Errecart said. "I'm ready for the next step."

Errecart hit .268 with eight home runs and 30 RBI for the Golden Bears this season. He was a highly touted high school prospect who hit .531 with 11 doubles, 12 home runs and 41 RBI as a senior at Lincoln. Errecart helped the Trojans reach the 2002 Sac-Joaquin Section Division I final and was named San Joaquin Athletic Association and Record All-Area player of the year.

Errecart and his family were following the draft online when he received a call from Brewers scout Justin McCray.

"We're going to pick you at No. 152," McCray said. "How's that sound?"

Errecart needed little time to consider his response.

"That sounds great," he said.

SIGNED

Round 6: Brae Wright - LHP

6'5", 205 lbs, L/L - Oklahoma State University

http://okstate.nmn.speedera.net/pics27/200/BY/BYRSXCIWZEFSLKG.20060123222140.jpg

Oklahoma State player profile

Went 8-4 in 2006 in 15 games (14 starts) posting a 3.99 ERA. He tossed 4 complate games and 2 shutouts. Went 99.1 innings allowing 106 hits (16 of which were home runs) and 19 walks while striking out 59.

Senior lefthander's talents have been clouded somewhat by some character issues. He was dismissed form Ole Miss' team after violating team rules and broke his left hand punching a teammate last year. Wright has good stuff for a lefty, and he can touch the low-90s with his fastball but works more comfortably in the upper-80s. He would fit the current Brewers' rotation well mixing in a slider and a cutter. As evidenced by his stats, he doesn't miss many bats, and when he gets hit he can get hit hard, but he also doesn't beat himself via the walk, exhibiting very good control and the inherent knowledge of how to pitch. Wright should sign quickly.

NOTES & INFO:

SIGNED

Round 7: Andy Bouchie - C

6'1", 205 lbs, R/R - Oral Roberts University

http://orugoldeneagles.com/image_lib/Bouchie_200_06mug.jpg

http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060608_B5_Baseb17436_b5main8.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

Oral Roberts player profile

Hit .377/.442/.623 in 220 at-bats (55 games). Had 16 2B, 1 3B, 12 HR, 53 RBI, 52 R, 137 TB, 27:49 BB:K ratio, 1 error.

Last name pronounced Boo-Shay. Cousin former big league third baseman Matt Williams. Played two seasons at Riverside CC in California before transferring to Oral Roberts. Entering the season was considered the best newcomer in the Mid-Continent Conference.

Brewerfan.net scouting report:

Bouchie offers an imposing, physical presence both behind the plate defensively and at it as a hitter. He offers an exciting power/power tool-set, with a rocket of an arm and intriguing home run potential. Defensively there is some concern about his quickness, but he has a very strong arm and threw out 41% (13 of 32) of opposing baserunners this spring. At the plate he was the leading hitter for the Super-Regionial bound Oral Roberts Golden Eagles. His big power swing does lead to a fair number of strikeouts, but you'll take that with any catcher that offers the kind of run production Bouchie has shown.

Update added June 10, 2006

Baseball and bloodlines

By JOHN E. HOOVER Tulsa World Sports Writer

Andy Bouchie and Brendan Duffy of ORU have relatives who've hit the majors.

Most college baseball players have to use their imagination when they dream about playing in the major leagues.

Oral Roberts, though, has two starters who need only pick up the phone.

Right fielder Brendan Duffy's older brother Chris was the starting center fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates at the beginning of the 2006 season. And catcher Andy Bouchie's second cousin is retired Gold Glove and All-Star third baseman Matt Williams.

"That's always been my driving force," said Bouchie. "I want to be like my cousin."

Bouchie and Duffy have been the driving force behind ORU's offensive success this season. The Golden Eagles are 41-14 and on their way to their first-ever super regional this weekend at No. 1 national seed Clemson. ORU went 3-0 at the Fayetteville Regional last week, beating top-seeded Oklahoma State twice and host Arkansas.

Going unbeaten was unexpected, but not unlikely. ORU went 8-0 this year against the Cowboys, Razorbacks and Wichita State.

And since ORU started the season 10-11, both Bouchie and Duffy have had similar offensive numbers.

Bouchie leads the team with a .377 average, Duffy is second at .363. Each is batting .417 since the March 28 turnaround date. Both players went 3-for-5 in Sunday's championship game against OSU.

"Bouchie gets on streaks where he's really hot," said ORU head coach Rob Walton. "Duffy's been our most consistent player throughout the whole season."

Bouchie's dream to follow his cousin's path got a significant boost on Tuesday when he was drafted in the seventh round by the Milwaukee Brewers. Duffy was not drafted.

Bouchie transferred to ORU from Riverside (Calif.) Community College. Growing up in talent-rich Riverside, Bouchie said having a major leaguer in the family helped keep his eyes on the prize. Of the group of friends he hung out with, one was a first-round draft pick, one is an NAIA All-American, one is the starting first baseman at USC and one is the closer at Arizona State.

"Instead of going out to parties or something, we'd go, 'Hey, let's go down to the field, turn on the lights and hit,' " Bouchie said. " 'Forget all that stuff. There'll be plenty of time for that when we're older. Let's have fun now and play baseball, because that's what we love to do.' "

Walton said he recruited Bouchie as a defensive star behind the plate. His batting average was OK, but in two seasons (56 games) at River side, Bouchie had just five home runs and 33 RBIs. This year, however, under the guidance of hitting coach Ryan Folmar, Bouchie has developed power. He's tied for the team lead with 12 home runs, ranks second with 53 RBIs and 16 doubles, and his slugging percentage of .623 is a team best.

"I was pretty strong last year but I had no power," Bouchie said. "Coming here, coach Folmar helped me stay on my legs more and use more of my body, rather than just using my hands."

Bouchie said he graduated high school weighing 165 pounds. He's now close to 210.

SIGNED

Round 8: Shane Hill - RHP

6'4", 185 lbs, R/R - Florida Christian School (FL)

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/images/PlayerImages/05nata86.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

-Committed to play for the University of Tennessee

Perfect Game 2004 National Underclass Showcase

Tennessee recruiting class

Hill is a lanky and projectable right-handed pitcher that screams of upside. He has only begun to tap into that upside, currently pitching in the mid to upper-80s with virtually no effort and an easy and free arm delivery. His curveball shows promise as well as a potentially dominant pitch. Hill has committed to play for the University of Tennessee, a formidable opponent to those that wish to snag away player from their pipeline to South Florida.

SIGNED

Round 9: Shawn Ferguson - RHP

6'2", 205 lbs, R/R - Texas Christian University

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/tcu/sports/m-basebl/auto_headshot/316165.jpeg

NOTES & INFO:

TCU player profile

Went 4-3 with a 6.38 ERA in 17 games (4 starts). Tossed 36.2 innings, allowing 36 hits and 20 walks while striking out 41. He allowed only 1 home run during that time, while holding batters to a .250 opposing batting average.

Ferguson is well-travelled, spending his first two years in college with the Texas Longhorns (red-shirting his freshman year), the next year with San Jacinto JC, and the past two seasons with TCU. He started his career as a dual-sport star, and slugged 18 home runs during his championship season with San Jacinto. He has pitched predominantly out of the bullpen, meaning his arm is relatively fresh despite having five years of college under his belt. Given his age, he will have to move fast, but he does have a live arm and could move quickly if used in the bullpen. He has a propensity for missing bats, but he also walks more than he should.

SIGNED

Round 10: Mike McClendon - RHP

6'5", 215 lbs, R/R - Seminole Community College

http://www.scc-fl.edu/athletics/baseball/media/michaelmcclendon36.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

Seminole CC player profile

2006 statistics:

7-4, 1.48 ERA, 7 CG, 1 shutout, 97 IP, 73 H, 98 K, 14 BB, 4 HR, .209 BAA

2005 statistics:

11-1, 1.65 ERA, 2 CG, 82 IP, 58 H, 72 K, 12 BB, 2 HR

McClendon doesn't get the biggest scouting accolades since he doesn't throw as hard as you might look by looking at his physical measurables or his statistics over his two years at Seminole CC in Orlando, Florida. All he has done though is get the job done by limiting baserunners, both via hits and walks, keeping the ball down in the strike zone and this year he started to miss more bats.

SIGNED

Round 11: Zach Clem - LF

6'1", 215 lbs, R/R - University of Washington

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wash/sports/m-basebl/auto_headshot/Clem_Zach_03mug.jpg

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2006/05/12/2002990584.jpg

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2006/05/12/2002990959.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

- Washington player profile

- Career batting statistics at Washington:

Year Avg. G/GS AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI Slg% BB HBP SO OB% SF SH SB/A 2003 .000 5/0 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 .000 0 1 1 .200 1 0 0/0 2004 .336 58/55 214 60 72 13 0 13 47 .579 20 24 53 .448 1 1 3/7 2005 .332 50/49 187 43 62 13 0 8 42 .529 21 14 43 .433 2 0 4/7 2006 .304 57/57 217 52 66 12 1 20 53 .645 30 12 35 .417 0 1 4/7 Totals .322 170/161 621 155 200 38 1 41 143 .585 71 51 132 .431 4 2 11/21

- Attended Burlington-Edison High School in Burlington, Washington, an hour North of Seattle just outside Mount Vernon. His Dad is the school's baseball coach.

A senior that is expected to be a quick and easy sign, Clem could put up some decent numbers in the lower levels of the minor leagues after clubbing 20 home runs this spring. Those 20 home runs have him tied for fifth in the nation in dingers, and give him 41 in total to close out his respectable career with the Huskies. Clem isn't the greatest of athletes, profiling the best in left field or at first base, but as noted by his power numbers, it's his bat that will carry him, even if it is in a reserve role. He has hit above .300 in each of his three full seasons at Washington, and has displayed a very disciplined approach.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 06-06-2006 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Quote:
Zach Clem, about 10 years ago, could hardly sit still each spring afternoon. For the last hour of school, he couldn't look at his teacher, couldn't concentrate on the blackboard.

Out the window, across the practice football field, was the Burlington-Edison High School baseball field.

"I was just itching to get out there -- every day. I could see left field and for one hour I would basically sit and watch," said Clem, who just finished a prolific career with the Washington Huskies.

When the bell rang, Clem would run to the baseball field to join his father Jim, the Tigers' long-time head coach.

Clem would take grounders with the varsity team, shag fly balls in the outfield and take a little batting practice, as well.

"I just remember trying to hit the ball as hard as I could, always trying to hit the ball farther than the varsity guys," he said.

By eighth grade, Clem could hit it farther and he hasn't stopped since.

Today or tomorrow, a major league team will draft Clem.

"I'm going to get drafted -- not knowing or wondering if would be hard," he said. "And I'm going to sign for sure."

Clem wasn't drafted after his junior year, but had his best season by far in 2006, finishing his Huskies career one home run short of tying Ed Erickson's UW career mark of 42. Two more home runs would have tied Clem for the season high of 22, set by Chad Boudon in 2003.

"I don't go up trying to hit home runs. I just try to hit the ball as hard as I can," Clem said.

Still, Clem led the Huskies in slugging percentage (.645), RBIs (53) and total bases (140), and was second in runs (52) and third in on-base percentage (.417). He also hit .304.

Clem is a 6-foot-1, 215-pound "big guy," as Huskies coach Ken Knutson describes him.

"He has a lot of strength and bat speed that is made for power," Knutson said. "We like our big guys to be aggressive. He has the physical strength and when he gets into one...you know it's Zach Clem."

Clem's level-headedness -- and his level swing -- come from the Tigers teams of his youth, as well as from his father, a member of the Washington State Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame.

"The more a kid is exposed to baseball, the better chance (he has) of growing and developing," Knutson said. "Zach's been a junkie since he was a little kid."

Knutson said the two-time All-Pac-10 outfielder turned himself into one of the team's best defensive players, too.

Clem came to Washington after a stellar career at Burlington-Edison, but barely played for the Huskies his freshman season. Coaches moved him around defensively, trying him behind the plate and at third base before finding a home in left field.

"Catcher wasn't for me. They kind of stuck me in the outfield and I remember there was a slicer hit by a lefty and I turned and caught it. The reads became a lot easier and I just stayed out there," said Clem, whom Knutson said played superlative defense this season.

Baseball America does not include Clem in its Top 200 prospects list, but does mention him, as well as his younger brother and UW recruit, Jacob, among its state players of note.

Clem, who grew up a Mariners fan, said his favorite team will be whichever one picks him.

"That's the team that wants me the most, so they're my favorite," he said.

The Seattle Times, 05-13-2006:

Quote:
UW senior slugger Zach Clem homing in on records

By Percy Allen, Seattle Times staff reporter

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Why in this home-run fanatical era of baseball, when we're bombarded by up-to-the minute exploits of Barry Bonds, has Zach Clem gone virtually unnoticed in his chase of the Washington Huskies' home-run record?

"Well, for starters, I'm not Barry Bonds," Clem said almost sheepishly a few days ago. "And really, no disrespect to anyone, but it's a school record. ... It's not a national record that's been in the books forever and ever.

"It would be nice to break it, but quite honestly, I'm trying real hard not to think about it. But that's becoming impossible."

In Pac-10 baseball circles and among major-league scouts, Clem, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound senior left fielder who is considered a desirable prospect in the June draft, has attracted a sizable following.

He has toiled in relative anonymity while junior pitcher Tim Lincecum, a preseason All-American, has garnered most of the attention. But Clem's popularity might soon skyrocket to "American Idol" status if he launches a few more home runs and caps a record-breaking season.

With nine regular-season games remaining before the NCAA regionals, Clem is on the verge of becoming Washington's home-run king. He needs one home run to tie Ed Erickson, who set the career mark of 42 from 1997 to 2000, and he's two shy of reaching Chad Boudon's season record of 22 established in 2003.

Batting third for Washington, Clem has hit 20 home runs, which leads the conference and is tied for third among NCAA Division I players. He has a .296 batting average with a team-high 51 runs batted in, 11 doubles and 49 runs while helping the Huskies to a 32-21 record.

He was twice named the Pac-10's player of the week, became the fourth Husky in school history to smack three homers in a game on April 4 against Portland and should notch his second first-team All-Pac-10 selection after the season.

Clem's pursuit for immortality renews today when Washington plays the second of a three-game set against Stanford at Husky Ballpark.

"I try not to pay any attention to any of it, but so many people bring it up you can't help but think about it because so many people are always asking you about it," Clem said. "They read about it. They want to know what you think about it. I try to keep it out of my head as much as possible and just worry about playing well, doing my own thing.

"Between every swing I tell myself to see the ball, swing hard and keep my shoulder in. Every pitch that's what I tell myself. Because if I do that, I feel like I'm fine."

That's his dad talking. Not literally, of course. Clem says the words, but he's only repeating what has been told to him by his father, Jim Clem, a member of the Washington State Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame.

The Clems are a baseball family. During a 30-year career, Jim, 53, has led Class 3A Burlington-Edison to 22 straight winning seasons and 12 league titles. Zach's younger brother Jacob will play for Washington next season on a baseball scholarship. Jacob has a 7-1 pitching record for Burlington-Edison and a .354 batting average with 22 RBI and five home runs.

"I started playing basketball and baseball as soon as I could move," Zach Clem said. "I'd be laying there and he'd throw balls at me. I attribute pretty much all of my success to him. I wouldn't be where I'm at without that coaching that was there my whole life."

No one knows Zach's swing better than Jim, who carefully monitored the precocious youngster in the early days and coached his sons at Burlington-Edison. So when Zach struggled through a 13-game streak in which he failed to hit a homer in late February and early March, he dialed up his dad for some extra tutoring.

"More than anything, I try to be a fan and a dad rather than a coach," Jim said. "I think he needs to work with his coaches and work things out. ... If he asks, I'll take a look at his swing and tell him what I always tell him.

"He's been a little streaky this season. He started off strong, then people started pitching around him and pitching him differently, so he went into a little slump."

Zach worked his way out of the slump in April when he belted nine homers, but he has hit just one ball out of the park since April 25.

"If you try to hit a home run every time, you're not going to hit them," he said. "They just come. When a home run happens, you hit it and it's more a reaction than a thought. There's a pause. It feels like you're standing there for like three seconds or five seconds where you don't hear anything and you just kind of see the ball going.

"Honestly, you talk to guys who hit home runs and they'll tell you the same thing. Nobody really tries to hit home runs. I know I don't. I'm up there trying to hit it as hard as I can and whatever happens after that is pretty much out of my control."

The Bellingham Herald, 08-22-2004:

Quote:
Bellingham Bells outfielder Zach Clem was listed as the fourth-best prospect in the Pacific International League by Baseball America.

Clem, who is entering his junior season at the University of Washington, led the Bells in home runs this past summer. Clem, who played his high school baseball at Burlington-Edison, has played for Bellingham the last two years. He led the Huskies in home runs last season.

Tim Lincecum, who pitched sparingly for the Seattle Studs but starred at Washington, was listed as the league's top prospect. Pitcher Kyle Parker of the Aloha Knights and the UW, was No. 2 and Cole Gillespie, a first baseman for Wenatchee and Oregon State, was No. 3.

The Bellingham Herald, 07-06-2004:

Quote:
The ball exploded off Zach Clem's bat and carried out to right field. And carried. And carried. And carried. The hit flew over the fence at Kelowna's Elks Stadium late last month, amazing those who saw it.

"It was the furthest ball I've seen a kid that age hit to the opposite field, ever," Bellingham Bells pitching coach Brandon Newell said. "It must have gone 450 feet. It was an absolute rope. When you close your eyes and listen to hits, you can tell balls that are hit different. There's just a special crack. That ball sounded like that."

"It was almost an earth-shattering crack," Bells manager Sean Linville said. "We've had some big hits the last few years, but none made the noise that that made. It was an unbelievable swing."

An unbelievable swing, and an awe-inspiring home run, but not an unexpected feat for Clem.

The Bells' 6-foot-1, 215-pound right fielder from Burlington may be the best hitter in the Pacific International League. He's hitting .300 with three home runs, 10 RBIs, 11 runs and a .700 slugging percentage. Combined with what he did during the college season, it's easy to see why Clem is one of the PIL's top professional prospects.

After playing in just five games as a freshman at the University of Washington, Clem had a solid season for the Bells last summer. Playing mostly third base, he hit .256 with seven doubles, a home run and 12 RBIs.

He returned to the UW in the fall and quickly established himself as one of the Huskies' top hitters. During the fall season, he batted close to .500. He was also moved to the outfield, where he hadn't played since middle school.

But that was just a preview of the regular season. Batting third for Washington, Clem hit .336 with a team-high 13 home runs, 47 RBIs, 13 doubles and 60 runs scored in helping the Huskies to the regional tournament. He was twice named the Pac-10's Player of the Week and was a first-team Pac-10 all-star at the end of the season.

"I knew I wouldn't play much my freshman year," Clem said. "I knew I had to earn playing time. It was a matter of waiting my turn. I didn't have any expectation of numbers I'd put up. I just wanted to play well and help the team win."

Most of the top players in the Pac-10 spend their summers playing in the prestigious Alaskan Summer League or the Cape Cod League. Though Clem signed with the Bells early, Linville said he kept expecting to find out that his top recruit would not be coming to Bellingham.

"He was the one guy, the main guy, that we went after," Linville said. "After last summer and what he did at Washington, there was no question that he was a guy who could carry us. We would always joke that we were going to get a phone call saying Clem isn't coming. It says a lot about Zach and what's important to him that he honored his commitment to us."

Clem thought about going to a higher-profile league, where he might be seen by more scouts and make a bigger name for himself. But in the end, he wanted to stay close to home, get a job and give his friends and family a chance to see him play.

"I knew that Alaska and the Cape are both really good leagues," Clem said. "You might play a little higher level of competition. But I'm sure no matter where you play, you can get seen. It's just fun playing in front of people I know, and the fans in Bellingham are great. We go some places and they don't get any fans. Here the crowd is always into it."

Newell, who is also the Northwest area scout for the Milwaukee Brewers, said he was a little surprised that Clem ended up back in Bellingham. He expected Clem to be playing in Alaska, the Cape, possibly even for Team USA.

"The reality is that he's going to get seen no matter where he plays," Newell said. "I don't think it hurts him to be here. He's a loyal guy, and we're obviously really happy to keep him."

Just as Clem's home run at Kelowna didn't come as a surprise, neither did baseball stardom.

He grew up in a baseball family, His father, Jim Clem, is a member of the Washington State Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame. In 26 seasons, he's taken his team to 13 state tournaments as the coach at Burlington-Edison High School.

Zach Clem said his father's stature created no extra anxiety to perform well, but that pressure did exist.

"There were people who questioned why I was on the varsity when I was a sophomore, if it was because who my dad was," Zach said. "It didn't last long. They realized I was good enough to be there."

Zach said his father taught him to always compete hard, and always worked with him on his hitting.

Linville and Newell, whose fathers played professional baseball, said there are small but noticeable differences between children who grow up in a baseball family and those who don't.

"The biggest thing is the awareness," Newell said. "We can take Zach and throw him at third base and he'll know what to do. A lot of people can't make the move from outfield to infield. But he understands the game enough that he can, and that's from growing up around the game."

"You can't always tell the difference from a talent standpoint," Linville added. "But you notice in the stuff we don't have to talk to him about. He knows the little points of baseball. He knows why you do things in different situations."

Clem played football and basketball as well as baseball at Burlington. He earned first-team all-league honors as a defensive back for the Tigers. He also was first-team all-league in baseball his final two seasons, hitting .419 with five home runs as a senior.

Clem picked Washington over Washington State and Gonzaga, saying he felt like he had a better chance of getting to the College World Series with the Huskies. He did not get drafted coming out of Burlington, and says he wasn't disappointed by that.

"I wouldn't have signed," Clem said. "I knew I wouldn't get close to enough money to make me not go to school. And I wasn't ready to play professional baseball yet. I always wanted to play professional baseball, but I also always wanted to play Division I baseball."

By going to a Division I school rather than a junior college, Clem became ineligible to be drafted until after his junior year. That comes up next season.

Newell said Clem has turned himself into a legitimate pro prospect.

"Zach's body has really changed since his senior year of high school," Newell said. "He was always strong, but now he's developed the strength that really makes a bat crack. He's a good outfielder, has a good arm, has the power to play a corner outfield spot. He has a chance to be a really special player."

"He's gotten bigger and he's so confident at the plate," Linville said. "Last year, he pulled the ball more. Now you see the way he's pounding the ball the other way. He's made himself into a really tough out."

Clem says he's trying not to think too far in the future, but it isn't easy.

"Right now, my focus is trying to help the Bells win and then trying to get to the (College) World Series," Clem said. "A lot of people ask me what I want to do, how much I want to sign for. I try not to think about the draft too much. I just want to go out, have fun and win games."

Round 12: Chad Robinson - RHP

6'5", 210 lbs, R/R - Silverado High School (NV)

http://www.aflacallamerican.com/images/players/Robinson_94.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

Perfect Game 2004 National Showcase profile

Perfect Game 2004 Sunshine West Showcase profile

Aflac All-American player profile

Robinson burst onto the scene with an impressive performance at the 2004 PG National which followed his sophomore year in high school. Easily pumping a 88-90 mph fastball that had touched 94 and a promising curve to go along with his tall and strong build, Robinson immediately became a player to follow for '06. That led to his selection as an Aflac All-American Classic. Unfortunately he injured his shoulder and had surgery to repair the labrum in his throwing shoulder which caused him to miss the Aflac game, and he only started pitching again late in the spring this year. His arm has rebounded well from surgery, already regaining velocity on his fastball touching the low-90s. Robinson also throws a very good changeup and a decent slider, although he has been almost all fastballs since returning from injury. He has committed to UNLV, and may be a tougher sign.

June 7th, 2006

Silverado pitcher goes to Brewers

Four locals selected in draft

Silverado pitcher goes to Brewers; CCSN's Smith taken by Reds

By MATT YOUMANS

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

If he chooses to attend college, Silverado senior Chad Robinson has two options. When he answered his phone Tuesday, a third option was thrown at him by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Robinson, a 6-foot-5-inch right-handed pitcher, was selected in the 12th round of the major league draft.

"I was pretty stoked when I got the phone call," said Robinson, the 362nd overall pick and the first of three local high school players to go.

He also was on the phone with two coaches, UNLV's Buddy Gouldsmith and the Community College of Southern Nevada's Tim Chambers. Robinson has signed with the Rebels and Coyotes.

By the end of the week, Robinson said, he expects to have contract discussions with the Brewers. But he has no idea where his next step will lead.

"There are a bunch of things I have to consider," he said. "It's a great experience right now. It's kind of fun, and it's kind of cool."

Gouldsmith said Robinson could be a future No. 1 starter for UNLV.

"Chad would be an impact player for us right away," Gouldsmith said. "He's a guy we need to show up in order for our program to take the step to the next level.

"I hope he decides to come to UNLV. If he doesn't, I'll be disappointed."

If Robinson doesn't get the offer he wants from the Brewers, he could pitch for the Rebels and be eligible for the draft in three years. If he goes the junior college route to CCSN, he could be drafted again next year.

Robinson had shoulder surgery in July and did not pitch until late this season. He went 4-0 with a 1.75 ERA and had 23 strikeouts in 20 innings.

SIGNED

Round 13: Chris Toneguzzi - RHP

6'5", 250 lbs, R/R - Purdue University

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/pur/sports/m-basebl/auto_headshot/446617.jpeg

NOTES & INFO:

Purdue player profile

4-0 record this spring as Purdue's closer, notching 5 saves. 2.10 ERA in 23 appearances, all in relief. 30 IP, 32 H, 37 K, 9 BB, 0 HR, .274 BAA.

A native of Thunder Bay, Ontario.

As far as I can tell so far, the first Canadian the Brewers have drafted. Toneguzzi has excelled as Purdue's closer, and has also dominated both the Cape Cod League and the Northwoods League over the past two summers. Last summer on the Cape he had a 31 to 4 strikeout to walk ratio over 26.1 innings. The summer before, he set his club's mark for saves in a season (16). While he has excelled in that role, he does seem to get too much of the strike zone, and can be hit around a little bit. That's largely because all he has is a fastball, a fastball that doesn't offer much life late in the zone, but can approach the mid-90s, sitting in the 90 mph range. He's stingy with the free passes, so at least he doesn't beat himself, and his arm is very fresh since he has been used as a reliever almost exclusively while in college. He's a senior, so he should be a quick & easy sign.

SIGNED

Round 14: Hector Bernal - SS

5'11", 170 lbs, S/R - El Paso Community College

http://www.epcc.edu/sites/departments/athletics/baseball/images/C5B32A6B300142059F38DD6E2CD757CB.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

El Paso CC infielders roster

Hit .389/.446/.568 in 190 ABs (51 games) with 57 runs, 13 2B, 6 3B, 3 HR, 31 RBI, 108 TB, 20:10 BB:K ratio, 19 for 26 in stolen bases and 23 errors.

The Brewers obviously didn't see what they liked of DFE candidate Jordan Lennerton, at least not enough to sign him, but Bernal obviously did something right to catch their eye. Bernal is a smaller, lightweight left-handed hitting middle infielder that finished second on El Paso CC in batting (.389) to Lennerton. While he is a smaller player, he has some electric pop to his bat, and has enough speed to wheel out some extra-base hits on balls hit to the gaps. That speed serves him well on the basepaths, and gives him very good range on the infield. As shown by his 23 errors this year, he has some work to do defensively. He is a sophomore at El Paso CC, so this is his final year of eligibility and won't be eligible for the DFE process.

June 7, 2006

Former EPCC, Hanks standout selected by Brewers

Former EPCC, Hanks standout selected by Brewers

By David Vasquez / El Paso Times

Hector Bernal has a tough decision to make.

The Hanks High School graduate and El Paso Community College shortstop was drafted in the 14th round of the major league first-year player draft by the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday.

Bernal now must decide whether to sign with the Brewers or honor the athletic scholarship he recently signed with Angelo State University.

"It depends on what the offer is (from the Brewers)," Bernal said. "I'm going to talk it over with my family and make a decision based on what is best for me."

The former all-city second-teamer for the Knights said he was overwhelmed when he found out he had been drafted.

"It was an overwhelming experience," Bernal said. "Watching my name pop up and getting the phone call, it was something I can't explain. It's a lifelong dream come true. But this is just the beginning of what I've worked hard for all my life."

First-year Tejanos coach Shannon Hunt said he was "tickled to death" when he found out Bernal had been drafted.

"I'm really excited for Hector," Hunt said. "He's been one of my all-time favorite guys to coach. He's an everyday guy. He gives it his all every time out. When something like this happens, you can't help but feel great for him."

Another EPCC standout, first baseman Jordan Lennerton, also is expected to be drafted.

"He's already been drafted twice," Hunt said. "I wouldn't be surprised if he's drafted again."

The Langley, British Columbia, native was drafted out of high school in 2004 by the Toronto Blue Jays and by the Brewers in last year's draft.

Lennerton hit .448 with 11 home runs and a .914 slugging percentage for the Tejanos this season. He was a unanimous choice for all-conference first-team.

"Lennerton's an unbelievable hitter with big-time power," Hunt said.

SIGNED

Round 15: Brett Whiteside - C

6'2", 200 lbs, R/R - Mesquite HS (AZ)

http://myspace-488.vo.llnwd.net/00174/88/47/174387488_m.jpg

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1128/255671.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

Analysis by Jeff Rattay

ArizonaVarsity.com Senior Writer

One of the most versatile athletes in the class of 2006... potential both offensively and defensively.. built for the rigors of catching.. good physical skills behind the plate, with his arm strength and agility standing out the most... quick release... handles pitchers well... has more offensive potential than most prep catchers... speed and strength in his hands make him a pure hitter, and he has raw power... remarkable plate coverage... has a compact stroke, and makes hard, line drive contact to the gaps... generates exceptional bat speed... shows good plate judgment... has a good makeup, great confidence, and wants to learn... known as a hard worker and an outstanding leader...

2 Mesquite seniors reap benefit of change

Jason P. Skoda

The Arizona Republic

Apr. 12, 2006

One got comfortable, and the other grew up.

The development of seniors Brett Whiteside and Joe Cuttone doesn't explain Mesquite's torrid start to the baseball season, but it didn't hinder it, either.

Entering play Monday, the Wildcats were living up to the preseason hype with a 17-3-1 record, a No. 1 ranking in the power points and a third spot in The Republic's latest rankings.

Teammates and Division I recruits Seth Furmanek, Ronnie Welty and Chase Frampton were the rocks of the program, and they received most of the attention after last year's 24-win season.

"That can have a way of motivating people," Mesquite coach Jeff Holland. "It can make them ask, 'What about me?' and spark something to prove everyone wrong."

Whiteside, who can play infield, outfield and catch, started the season slowly, but has come around in a big way.

"I just had to relax," Whiteside said. "We had the preseason hype and all of that so I was trying too hard. Once I let the game come to me instead of pressing I started hitting the ball."

He hit .444 in his first 63 at-bats with 10 extra-base hits, including eight doubles, with 13 runs and 14 RBIs.

Whiteside committed to Chandler-Gilbert Community College but he is starting to get looks from Division I schools such as Brigham Young, Arizona State, Dartmouth and Long Beach State.

The right-handed hitter began getting noticed over the summer while playing for the Angels in the Arizona Pro Scout League.

The attention has continued this year as the Wildcats push deeper into the season.

"It's tough because you see the scouts and it can add pressure," Whiteside said. "I just have to stay relaxed and keep playing hard."

June 9, 2006

Baseball scouts looking at others found him

Mesquite grad Milwaukee's 15th-round pick in draft

Baseball scouts looking at others found him

Jason P. Skoda

The Arizona Republic

It's a story heard over and over again in the baseball world.

Scouts come to look at a prospect and end up liking a lesser-known player just as much.

That just might be the scenario that played out for Mesquite graduate Brett Whiteside, who was selected in the 15th round by the Milwaukee Brewers in the First-Year Player Draft on Tuesday.

"I think that was the case. I really don't know," said Whiteside, who committed to Chandler-Gilbert Community College. "I thought there was a chance I would get drafted, but I didn't think it would be the first day."

Whiteside, who was drafted as a catcher but played several positions for the Wildcats, hit .391 with nine doubles, five triples, a home run and 23 RBI.

Mesquite teammates Ronnie Welty was taken in the 37th round by the Angels on Wednesday, and Seth Furmanek and Chase Frampton had better statistics and signed Division I scholarships.

"You never know what (teams) are thinking about the draft or what they are looking at," Mesquite coach Jeff Holland said. "Brett has a big-league arm now and I am very proud of him."

Whiteside said he was unsure about his future but excited at the possibilities.

"I haven't heard from anyone yet," he said. "I just know I want to play and I can't wait to get started."

SIGNED

Round 16: R.J. Seidel - RHP

6'5", 200 lbs, R/R - Central HS (WI)

http://centralhighactivities.olinesports.com/albums/1114020821RJ1.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

Brewerfan.net draft coverage:

R.J. Seidel is a big, strong RHP from La Crosse Central. He is 6'6", 205, and currently throws in the 87-88 range with plenty of room for added velocity. He also throws a decent CB, and he could easily vault up prospect lists this spring if he starts to refine his stuff while improving his velocity. He like fellow Wisconsin prep players Chad Pierce and Tony Butler has committed to Arkansas. Seidel also attended the Area Code Games last spring in California, invted by the White Sox to participate.

Baseball America player profile:

1. R.J. Seidel, rhp (National rank: 172)

School: Central HS. Class: Sr.

Hometown: LaCrosse, Wis.

B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-6. Wt.: 200. Birthdate: 9/3/87.

Scouting Report: Wisconsin has more high school depth than usual this year, and much of it is ticketed for the University of Arkansas. The prize of the crop is Seidel, who along with Oak Creek lefthander Tony Butler and Fond du Lac catcher Chad Pierce has committed to the Razorbacks. Seidel is the most projectable pitcher in the upper Midwest, an athletic 6-foot-6, 185-pounder whose arm works so easily. His fastball presently ranges from 85-90 mph, but as he fills out his velocity could zoom up to the mid-90s. His curveball should become at least an average pitch, and he already has shown some mastery of a changeup. He's also a football quarterback and a basketball forward for Central High, and scouts' main concern is that he doesn't dominate as much as he should against inferior competition in any of his three sports. Though he has a good chance to be a higher draft pick three years from now, Seidel is believed to be signable at least through the first five rounds.

June 7, 2006

Brewers pick Central's Seidel in 16th round

Brewers pick Central's Seidel in 16th round

By JON AVISE / La Crosse Tribune

Just hours after a rough final outing in a Red Raiders uniform, Central High School pitcher R.J. Seidel received news that must have taken some of the sting off a tough loss.

He?d been drafted.

Chosen by the Milwaukee Brewers Tuesday in the 16th round (482nd pick overall), the 6-foot-6, 200-pound right-hander was one of 10 pitchers selected by Milwaukee during the first day of the two-day Major League Baseball draft.

Seidel, who started in the Red Raiders? 8-5 sectional semifinal loss to Logan, must decide between signing a professional contract with the Brewers or heading to the University of Arkansas to pitch on scholarship for the Razorbacks.

?Regardless of whatever decision he makes, he?s got a bright future ahead of him,? Central coach Gregg Erickson said.

Seidel could not be reached for comment.

The selection of Seidel in Tuesday?s draft was a surprise to no one, Erickson said. Rated as the 172nd best draft prospect by Baseball America, the young right-hander showed he possessed the necessary tools the day he stepped onto the field as a freshman.

According to MLB.com, Seidel has ?a very projectable arm with a fastball that could become a plus as he grows.?

Seidel?s fastball is one thing that sets him apart, Erickson said.

?I think when a kid is that talented ? he has always had the physical skills to do something ? the role of the coach is to work on the psychological part of what it takes to compete at the next level,? Erickson said.

?He came into the program throwing well. For him it?s just a matter of working on the psyche part of it. He?s always been able to do it for us in big games.?

At Division I Arkansas, Seidel would step into the pressure-packed Southeastern Conference, one of the toughest college baseball conferences in the nation.

If he chooses to go pro, the Milwaukee draftee would likely join other new Brewers farmhands at the organization?s minor league rookie level club in Phoenix.

?He?s a smart kid,? Erickson said. ?He?s going to figure it out.

?(Seidel and his family) have researched this for the last couple of years; it?s a tough decision.?

Whereever Seidel winds up, his coach knows he?ll be pulling for his pupil all the way.

?Whether he?s putting the Brewer uniform or the Razorback uniform on, I?m a fan,? Erickson said. ?I?ll definitely have to make a trip to see him play.?

June 9, 2006

Seidel weighs his options

Seidel weighs his options

By JON AVISE / La Crosse Tribune

For Milwaukee Brewers draft pick R.J. Seidel, taking the mound for his favorite baseball team would be a dream come true.

But playing college baseball sounds good, too.

Selected by the Brewers in the 16th round (482nd pick overall) of the Major League Baseball draft on Tuesday, the Central High School graduate first turned down offers from the Chicago White Sox in the third round, as well as the Minnesota Twins and the Brewers in the sixth.

So, why say no to the chance to be picked so early?

Seidel previously had accepted a scholarship offer to pitch for the University of Arkansas next season, and he said the money offered wasn?t on target with what he had told the Razorbacks? coach it would take to lure him straight to the pros. A four-year scholarship to Arkansas is worth about $100,000, according to tuition and cost estimates on the university?s Web site.

?Me and my dad told the Arkansas coach it would take around a million (dollars) to sign,? Seidel said. ?I wouldn?t want to lie.?

When the defending world champion White Sox inquired about selecting him earlier in the 50-round draft, Seidel said the club offered a $300,000 signing bonus ? substantial money, but not what the Seidels were looking for.

Three rounds later, Brewers and Twins officials both offered around $100,000, Seidel said, but he and his father, Dick, stuck to their original intention.

Milwaukee then drafted the 18-year-old without contacting him beforehand.

According to Seidel, the final decision as to whether he signs a professional contract or enrolls at Arkansas will come at the end of the summer, when the Brewers said they will make an offer after further evaluating the 6-foot-6, 200 pound right-hander.

Through it all, the young star has had his dad ? who was a draft pick of the New York Yankees in 1982 ? to help sort through all the confusion and excitement.

?He?s been acting as my kind of agent ? making calls, talking to people,? Seidel said.

While the Brewers spend the summer evaluating, and Seidel deliberating, the young pitcher who many believe has a bright future will play some American Legion ball for La Crosse.

?It?d be nice to play pro baseball, but I have no problem going to college, and playing and getting my degree,? Seidel said. ?That?s something I?ve always wanted.?

Round 17: Aaron Tullo - RHP

6'3", 195 lbs, R/R - St. Petersburg HS (FL)

NOTES & INFO:

Committed to St. Petersburg College, a two-year school

Tullo was a second-team all-county pick in 2004 and one of the county's most promising prospects before injuring his pitching arm over the summer and re-injuring it three innings into his 2005 debut. He missed the rest of the season following Tommy John surgery.

Despite a limited pitch count, Tullo was one of the Green Devils better pitchers in 2006, being clocked in the 90-mph range and drawing the attention of pro scouts.

Tullo's status rises with speed

JOHN C. COTEY, St. Petersburg Times

June 4, 2006

St. Petersburg's Aaron Tullo lost the battle on May 2 against Sarasota, but he won the war.

Despite giving up two home runs in a loss to the eventual state champion Sailors, he did so throwing a fastball that settled comfortably in the 90 mph range. For a kid who 18 months ago wasn't sure he'd pitch again, it was enough to help him walk away from his final high school game smiling.

On Tuesday or Wednesday, when Major League Baseball holds its annual draft, Tullo will be smiling again.

"It's pretty awesome that somebody's going to pick me up," said Tullo, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound right-hander. "Since I was little, just getting picked has been a goal."

But don't expect to see Tullo's signature on a professional contract yet. He has made it clear to all 15 interested teams that he wants one year at St. Petersburg College to continue to improve, to test his curveball and to make sure his arm is ready for the daily grind. He wants to be a draft-and-follow prospect, so he'll likely be picked on the second day.

If he has learned anything from the past two years, it is patience.

Just over 18 months ago, Tullo had Tommy John surgery, or ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction. More than 30 years ago, John, a major leaguer, had his career saved by the surgery. In the years since, he has been joined by hundreds of others.

Tullo first experienced arm discomfort as a freshman but was relatively painfree as a sophomore, touching 90 mph for the first time.

But that summer at a Junior Olympic tryout in Scottsdale, Ariz., the pop on his pitches was gone. He struck out four batters in two innings but only hit 86 on the speed gun and did not make the team.

He was told he had a strain, but after pitching one game his junior year, he knew it was more severe. Doctors told him he needed surgery if he wanted to pitch again.

"It scared me," Tullo said. "I wanted to just give up. I just didn't want to play anymore. I didn't have to have the surgery if I just wanted to play the field.

"I thought about giving up pitching."

Ultimately, though, he couldn't. Though he had been a catcher and shortstop at times in Little League, he was first and foremost a pitcher.

Dr. Koco Eaton performed the surgery. And local sports trainer Larry Mayo has worked to restore Tullo's arm strength.

This past season, he was on a strict pitch count. He threw 20 pitches his first game against Tarpon Springs, and 20 the next, his first start against Seminole. A few weeks later, 14 scouts watched him face Boca Ciega.

Against Northeast at the Dunedin Spring Classic, midway through the season, Tullo's first pitch was 90 mph. Though he struggled with his control, it was his best outing yet.

Afterwards, his mother told him he had hit 93 on the gun, and SPC coach Dave Pano offered him a scholarship.

"That's when I felt everything was coming together," Tullo said.

Tullo survived his senior season by only throwing fastballs and changeups. Since his injury, he hasn't thrown a curveball.

By the end of the season, Tullo said he was 100 percent mentally - "people don't understand how hard it is to learn how to pitch again" - and 95 percent physically.

He has passed on playing summer ball, choosing instead to keep rehabilitating his arm.

He hopes to use it this week to answer the biggest phone call of his life.

June 7, 2006

Surprise! You've been drafted

Surprise! You've been drafted

By JOHN COTEY AND BRANDON WRIGHT

sptimes.com

Karen Tullo and son Aaron Tullo had jobs to do Tuesday. Aaron was busing tables at an Outback Steakhouse in St. Petersburg. Karen's was keeping her son informed via text message when his friends were picked in the baseball draft.

Both jobs got a lot harder at about 7 p.m., when Karen had to excitedly type in a familiar name: A-a-r-o-n T-u-l-l-o.

"I was cleaning a table when my phone started vibrating," said Aaron, a recent St. Petersburg grad. "I was shocked. I was expecting to get drafted, but not on the first day."

Tullo, who spent the past 18 months working his way back from arm problems, including Tommy John surgery, was taken in the 17th round by the Brewers, one of the teams that heavily scouted the right-hander this year.

Tullo was expecting to go late in the draft, around the 30th and 40th rounds, because he made it clear he wanted to be a draft-and-follow player. He will attend St. Petersburg College next season, hoping to improve his stock for next year's draft or make Milwaukee pay him well enough to keep him from re-entering the player pool.

"I feel like I can go a lot higher," said Tullo, whose surgically repaired arm is just about 100 percent.

Tullo has proved he has patience and had to do it again Tuesday. After finding out he had been drafted, he had to finish his shift at work, leaving at 9 p.m. to join friends and family for a celebratory dinner.

Round 18: Andrew Clark - 1B

6'2", 220 lbs, L/L - New Palestine HS (IN)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/clark1.jpg

http://www.aflacallamerican.com/images/players/Clark_104.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

Clark was an Aflac All-American last summer, and like Aaron Miller is appealing both as a smooth-hitting first baseman and as a southpaw on the mound. As a hitter, he has very exciting power potential, with a big strong frame and an equally big swing. As a pitcher, he pitches in the upper-80s, with a good foundation and feel for his secondary pitches. He also is a good defensive first baseman. Should a team remain undecided where to play him, and then is essence, where to draft him, he likely will take his two-way talents to Ole Miss.

Andrew Clark is a 2006 1st baseman/left handed pitcher from New Palestine, IN with a big strong body at 6-2, 200lbs. Good hands, solid glove, strong arm, moves well around the bag, pull hitter, very good bat speed, big time power, lofted swing plane, 87 mph FB with run, CB has tight 2-8 break at 75 mph, projectable power, highest level prospect, good draft at 1B, good student.

Aflac All-American player profile

Andrew Clark is a dominating force when stepping up to the plate. On the season, he had a .373 batting average, 28 hits and 25 RBI?s to lead New Palestine. Andrew also contributes on the mound where he went 8-0 with a 0.64 ERA and 88 strikeouts. In 2004, Andrew led New Palestine to a 30-4 record and their first ever ISHAA State Championship. Andrew tossed a three-hitter and recorded a two run home run to clinch the 3-2 victory. On the mound last season Andrew blew away his counterparts. He recorded a 10-0 record with a 0.22 ERA. Andrew also batted .424 with 10 home runs and 41 RBI?s.

Committed to the University of Mississippi for the fall of 2006.

New Palestine is a tiny suburb eight miles southeast of Indianapolis. It appears that the Indianapolis Star would be the primary source of information on Andrew Clark.

Link for additional photo while active, some texted excerpts follow:

Indy Star story

Indianapolis becomes fertile area

Baseball talent crop is attracting attention of pro scouts, colleges

By Nat Newell, nat.newell@indystar.com

Dan Black's summer baseball team began play last season in Kentucky . . . he thinks. There were trips to Illinois; Fort Wayne, Ind.; Memphis, Tenn.; Nashville, Tenn., and somewhere in Ohio. "Maybe Cincinnati?" he said.

Seventeen players have been drafted from metro-area high schools the past six years -- nearly double the total of any other six-year stretch since the baseball draft began in 1965.

Black, Andrew Clark of New Palestine and Greenfield-Central's Kyle Gibson are expected to be selected. The two-day draft begins at 1 p.m. today.

Black said there is a misconception about Indiana's talent pool.

Clark summed up the stereotype succinctly.

"They say, 'You're from Indiana? You must be a basketball player,' " Clark said. "You have to go out and prove yourself every time."

Summer baseball has provided the opportunity.

Travel teams began forming in the early 1990s and have provided an opportunity for Indianapolis-area players to face top talent around the country -- "That really makes the player push himself," Black said -- and increased their exposure to the top college programs and professional scouts.

"I would not have known about Lance Lynn, Andrew Clark and Dan Black if it wasn't for (summer teams)," said University of Mississippi recruiting coordinator Dan McDonald, who brought in Brownsburg's Lynn last season and has commitments from Black and Clark if they don't sign with professional teams. "I remember thinking, 'Wow. These are very talented, physical kids, and they're all playing on the same team (from Indiana).' "

The team began recruiting players on the Northside of Indianapolis but now draws from across the state for seven age-group teams. Other travel teams such as the Bulldogs, Mustangs and Bandits have formed in the area.

"Scouts are not going to put their reputations on the line if they don't see a player numerous times," said Center Grove coach Dave Gandolph, whose program produced draft picks A.J. Zapp in 1996 and J.B. Paxson last year. "(Travel ball) gives players more exposure."

Clark drew regional attention for his high school exploits, but his stock soared after competing in the East Coast Showcase and Area Code Games. He was the only Midwesterner at the Aflac All-American game last summer.

"There's been a lot of talent coming out of the Midwest the last five or six years, especially Indianapolis," said McDonald, whose wife has family in Hamilton County. "It's a booming area, and combined with a lot of great baseball people in the summer, the indoor programs and high school coaches, the talent has grown."

Link, text follows:

Mississippi Scout.com story

Top 50 National Prospect Commits to Rebels

By Yancy Porter

Mississippi Scout

Date: Nov 2, 2005

Andrew Clark (LHP/1B, New Palestine, IN ) - The Rebel baseball program continues to dominate the national baseball recruiting scene. Ole Miss landed one of the Top 50 rising seniors in the country, according to Baseball America and Louisville Slugger, when Andrew Clark gave his verbal commitment to the Rebels.

Some insiders believe Andrew could be the top two way player (LHP/1B) in the country, along with Ole Miss commit, Matt Smith (RHP/OF).

Both Matt and Andrew are ranked as Top 50 national prospects and both are expected to make a huge impact at the University of Mississippi next season.

Player Profile

Height: 6' 2"

Weight: 210

MPH: 89

Grades: 3.9 GPA

High School: New Palestine

The following information was revealed during our interview with Andrew Clark :

What does your fastball top out at when you are on the mound? "I throw it in the 89 to 90 MPH range."

What do you average? "88 - 89 MPH."

Which pitches are in your arsenal? "I throw a fastball, slider, and circle change up."

What is your out pitch? "I would say my slider."

What are your strengths on the mound? "Just being able to hit my location. I can hit my spots when I pitch. I control the game. I like to set the pace. A nice calm pace. I get all fired up though when I strike them out. I run back to the dugout. I get everybody else fired up. I am a real emotional player but laid back at the same time. Hitting is definitely my biggest strength for Ole Miss though. But pitching wise, being able to control the flow is my biggest thing."

What are your strengths at the plate? "Really, I think like a pitcher when I hit. I am just putting the ball in play. I can hit the ball a long way, a long/long way. I am good with runners in scoring position. I get the runner in. When I am ready, I just take a hack at it and it goes a long ways."

How long have you been starting for New Palestine? "This will be my fourth year. I have started every game. I have been the # 1 pitcher, and I have hit in the 3 spot all four years."

What were your stats for your junior season? "I was 10-0 with a .022 ERA last year. Overall, I am 28-0 with a .038 ERA. I am the only pitcher that has not lost a high school game. I hit like four something last year with 10 HR's in thirty four games."

Any awards? "I was named 1st Team All-Conference, All-State, All- Super Team by the Indianapolis Star and the All-East Team. I was also selected as an All-American and played in the National All-Star game in Baltimore."

Which showcase tournaments did you attend this summer? "I played in the Perfect Game in Atlanta. I played in the All-American game in Baltimore. Our team made the CABO World Series in Cleveland, OH. Lance Lynn and I played in Ft. Meyers at the Louisville batting tournament. We also played in the Perfect Games in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. We know each other pretty good. And as far as more showcase tournaments, I played in the Pittsburgh Pirates showcase and the Philadelphia Phillis showcase tournaments. I do not know, the whole summer was one showcase tournament after another. Oh yea, I was also selected to the Aflac Showcase tournament."

I hear you committed to Ole Miss? "Yes sir, I went down there officially the day after they played Kentucky in football. We got there on a Sunday. We went out to the field, toured the facilities and just walked around. We went to dinner with Coach Bianco then I met Lance Lynn and some of the players. We all went out and it was great. That is what made my mind up about Ole Miss. Their players are not just happy to be playing college baseball. They want to win a championship. Most college players are just happy to be there but not at Ole Miss. The coaches were cool. I can tell they are going to be there for me if you need any help. I also met a Baptist preacher that they had set up. My dad really liked that. We are a pretty religious family. The drive is only eight hours if you go by car but it is just a two hour flight and an hour drive from Memphis, so my family can still see me play some games. That was the only downfall about Ole Miss, was the distance, but it is going to work out anyway. The place is just amazing, and they have a great Business Management department. I called Coach Bianco on Tuesday and told him that I was coming. He was glad to hear that (laugh)."

Did you visit anymore colleges officially before Ole Miss? "I did not, actually. I went to Kentucky and Georgia Tech unofficially. I also went to North Carolina State unofficially. But like I said, Ole Miss was just the perfect fit for me. There really was no reason for me to go anywhere else. I mean, I did not even want to leave to go back home. I am ready to get it on right now. But to answer your question, no, I did not visit anyone else officially nor do I plan to."

Who were your top schools? "Georgia Tech would be one of them. Alabama was another. LSU would be another. Michigan would probably round it out. Ole Miss, Georgia Tech, LSU, Alabama, and Michigan were probably my Top 5 schools. They all offered me."

Who came after you the hardest? "I would have to say Ole Miss. They called me frequently and you could tell they were really wanting me. Georgia Tech, I could also tell they really wanted me. I visited Georgia Tech when I went down to the showcase tournament, but I just liked it a lot more at Ole Miss."

With you being a National Top 50 prospect; will you ever end up in college? "I do not really know right now. You get a bunch of people telling you that you are going to be a 1st rounder, but that is just a bunch of bull. Look at Stephen Head. He was the best college baseball player in the country last year and he went in the 2nd round. You just have to be lucky to be a 1st round pick. I mean, you are not only going up against the best from America, but Japan and just the whole world now. My goal is to be a pro player, do not get me wrong, but I would have to get 1st round money to not go to Ole Miss. I am excited to get out of high school and get to Ole Miss. It would have to be some real high money for me to miss my experiences I would get at Ole Miss. Both of my parents had to go straight to work out of high school, so. I really can not see myself not at Ole Miss next year."

June 7, 2006

Dragons' Clark: No thanks, Brewers

Dragons' Clark: No thanks, Brewers

New Palestine first baseman, unhappy with draft position, says he'll go to college

IndyStar news service report

The call came too late to interest him now but just in time to motivate him for 2009.

New Palestine High School senior Andrew Clark was selected by Milwaukee in the 18th round Tuesday, one of 13 players with state ties taken on the first day of the annual baseball draft.

"I've already talked to people and told them I'm going to go to Ole Miss for three years and see what happens," Clark said. "I'm going to prove to people I'll be a first-round pick (in 2009)."

Clark, a first baseman who had heard he might go as early as the third round, monitored the early rounds before spending the afternoon with friends. He said he talked to a Brewers scout soon after he was selected.

"He could tell I was kind of upset," Clark said. "He just told me to calm down. I'm determined to go down there (Ole Miss) and show them something."

Round 19: Lee Haydel - OF

6'1", 170 lbs, L/R - Riverside Academy (LA)

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/images_sizedimage_219170226/xl

NOTES & INFO:

- Birthdate 07/15/1987

- Attended Riverside Academy in Reserve, Louisiana, about 40 miles north of New Orleans. Riverside is a private, K-12 school

- Has signed a letter of intent to play baseball at Louisiana State University (LSU), where he received a $50,000 TOPS Opportunity Award scholarship.

- Starred as a wide receiver and defensive back for the Rebels' football team and excelled as a member of the school's track squad.

- Was named to the 2006 Louisiana Sports Writers Association All-State Baseball Team and the 2006 All-Metro Team.

- Helped Riverside win the Class 2A State Championship for the first time since 1995.

PG Crosschecker draft notes

Quote:
Derrick Robinson of P.K. Younge HS (FL) has long been known as the fastest player in the 2006 draft. Robinson has also solidified his standing this spring as a potential top round pick by impressing scouts enough with his switch-hitting ability that they think he?ll be able to use his speed as more than just a side show.

A contender has arisen for both Robinson?s speed title and perhaps the distinction as the first true speed player to be drafted out of the high school ranks.

Lee Haydel of Riverside Academy (LA) has a sprinter?s build at 6-1, 170 lbs, with long arms and legs, a high waist and long, powerful strides. He?s a left handed hitter whose scouting report is remarkably similar to Robinson?s.

One veteran Louisiana scout summarized Haydel, ?His arm is probably a 55/60 (on the 20-80 scale) and he can obviously go get it in the outfield. He?s 3.93 to 4.08 every time down to first base and I don?t know what he runs the 60 in but it has to be around a 6.3. He?s not going to drive the ball with the bat, but he has a good swing and can make solid contact. He's got plus, plus makeup as well.?

To say that Haydel has been busy this spring would be an understatement. He?s led Riverside Academy into the Louisiana State 2A baseball finals, which were to be held on Wednesday, May 10. Haydel has also been running track, where he has qualified for the state meet in the 100 and 200 while also registering top distances in the triple jump.

Another scout said, ?Haydel might be one of those kids who is far better off in pro ball even though he might struggle with the bat at first. If he goes to LSU, where they need to win right now, he might have to red shirt one year, then maybe spend another year getting stronger. He could have 1000 at bats in pro ball by the time he gets 100 in college.?

Haydel looks like a potential 2nd-3rd round pick at this point.

SIGNED

Round 21: Jesse Damico - C

6'2", 210 lbs, L/R - Mohawk HS (PA)

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/sports/images_sizedimage_159053333/xl

NOTES & INFO:

Born 1/26/1988

June 9, 2006

Mohawk?s Jesse D?Amico selected by, signs with, Brewers

By Ron Poniewasz Jr.

New Castle News

Mohawk High?s Jesse D?Amico had an unforgettable day yesterday.

Not only did D?Amico graduate with his class, he was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers as well.

D?Amico, a catcher, was selected by Milwaukee in the 21st round of the amateur draft, the 632nd overall choice. He was the third catcher taken by the Brewers behind Andrew Bouchie (seventh round, 212th pick) and Greg Whiteside (15th round, 452nd pick).

Not only was D?Amico drafted yesterday, he signed his first professional contract as well late last night and will leave Monday for Arizona for extended spring training. D?Amico will then most likely begin his professional career with the Arizona Brewers at the rookie ball level.

?This is the biggest day of my life,? D?Amico said. ?With graduating and signing a Major League contract on the same day, I?ve been speechless all day.?

Getting drafted didn?t come as a complete surprise to the talented D?Amico.

?I had a pretty good idea but I wasn?t too sure about it,? D?Amico said. ?Toward the end of the season, the Brewers kept coming and watching and I got the call this morning.?

When the moment arrived it was one that D?Amico won?t soon forget.

?I was in shock,? he said. ?I sat down and turned my computer on. The Brewers drafted me and my name popped up and my jaw dropped.?

Three different scouts attended Warriors baseball games this year and were impressed with what they saw. A scout was at Mohawk?s upset win over top-ranked Riverside and the WPIAL Class AA playoff game against Freedom. D?Amico excelled in each game, homering once in both games including earning the pitching win against the Panthers.

?I knew they were there,? D?Amico said of the scouts. ?I just wanted to stay within myself and do what I can do but just try not to press too hard.?

D?Amico signed a national letter of intent in November with the University of Cincinnati. However, there was no doubt in D?Amico?s mind which direction he would go.

?I wanted to sign with the Brewers, it?s a big opportunity for me and I can?t pass it up,? D?Amico said. ?I?ve always wanted to play in the majors since I was a little kid and I can?t pass this up.?

If D?Amico had elected to pass on the Brewers? offer and attend Cincinnati, he would have not been eligible to be drafted until after his junior year of college.

?I was aware of that and it was a thing I had to think about,? D?Amico said. ?I couldn?t go to college and bank on getting drafted again.?

College is still an option for D?Amico. If for some reason professional baseball doesn?t work out for D?Amico, he can go back and get eight semesters of schooling courtesy of the Brewers with no specific time limit for the stipulations.

D?Amico batted a county-best .600 this year with six home runs and 25 RBIs after excelling on the gridiron for Mohawk in the fall.

?Jesse is a top-notch baseball player,? Mohawk coach Archie Donofrio said. ?As much as he?s a great player, he?s a great person too.

?He knows the game and he?s a tremendous leader. I think those attributes helped him get drafted.?

Donofrio put the game in D?Amico?s hands, allowing D?Amico to call the pitches.

?He is great with fundamentals,? Donofrio said. ?He understands the game and we?re going to miss him.

?He worked tremendously with the pitchers and I had a lot of respect for him.?

Jesse D?Amico got to learn significant pointers from his older brother, Travis. Travis, also a catcher, went to West Virginia University on a full scholarship but missed out on a professional career after tearing his rotator cuff in his senior year. According to Jesse, Travis? baseball career is over and he?s working as an engineer in Washington, D.C., for Boller Engineering.

?Travis had a big influence on me,? Jesse said. ?He went through the same thing. His experience (rotator cuff) is what influenced me and I saw I could get hurt in college.

?He?s really been a big help to me and I?ve got tons of information and tips from him.?

Round 23: Scott Shuman - RHP

6'3", 205 lbs, R/R - Tift County HS (GA)

NOTES & INFO:

Born 3/28/1988

Added June 10, 2006

Former Devil Shuman drafted by Brewers

Former Devil Shuman drafted by Brewers

By Dusty Vassey

TIFTON ? Former Tift County Blue Devil Scott Shuman was drafted Wednesday by the Milwaukee Brewers in Major League Baseball?s First-Year Player Draft.

Shuman, the ace pitcher for a Devil squad that earned a spot in the Sweet 16 of the Class-AAAAA state playoffs, was drafted in the 23rd round by the Brewers. During the regular season, he was 8-2 with three saves, a 1.72 ERA and 88 strikeouts in 65 innings. He also batted .318 with seven homers and 29 RBIs.

?It?s a good honor,? Shuman said Thursday. ?They called me yesterday about an hour after they (drafted him). It was pretty cool.?

He was drafted by the Brewers based on his strong pitching arm. Shuman throws a fastball that has been clocked at 94 miles per hour. He also throws a slider, a sidearm fastball and a changeup.

?I thank God for this happening and everything that?s happened,? Shuman said. ?He?s the reason all this happened.?

The recent graduate has not decided if he will sign with the Brewers but knows that he will continue his baseball career. He will visit Auburn University Monday and is considering an athletic scholarship with the school.

?If they offer me a scholarship, I?ll be an Auburn Tiger,? he said.

He is also considering signing with junior colleges in Santa Fe, N.M. and Pensacola, Fla. He said that according to the Brewers, he can still attend junior college and they will own the rights to him. He said that hopefully, he can go even higher in a future draft.

Shuman also went higher in this year?s draft. The Los Angeles Angels were interested in the pitcher and wanted to draft him in the ninth round. However, they wanted him to sign immediately while the Brewers seemed to encourage him to attend junior college. Shuman elected to keep his options open instead of taking the money.

A two-sport star, Shuman started at quarterback for the Blue Devil football team which also made the playoffs. However, he said that his dream is to play baseball in the majors, and even if he attends a college like Auburn, he will concentrate on baseball.

?I?m strictly baseball now,? he said. ?I?m not 6-5 and I don?t throw (a football) 75 yards.?

Archived