Brewer Fanatic

Peralta & Pieces to Colorado for 3B Ryan McMahon?

With the acquisition of Chase Anderson we now have 8 very solid candidates for the MLB rotation in him, Garza, Peralta, Nelson, Jungmann, Davies, Lopez & Hader. Even with the likelihood that Lopez & Hader open in Colorado Springs we still have 6 legit options for the rotation.

With Colorado recently acquiring Jake McGee from Tampa it seems they may be targeting pitchers with big fastballs & questionable secondary stuff as possible Coors Field fits. Enter Wily Peralta. Over the last 3 seasons Wily's fastball velocity of 95.1 ranks 7th among starters, his usage of 66.2% ranks 18th among starters and to top it off his groundball % of 52.2% has ranked 15th among starters.

Seems like a perfect fit for Colorado. Speaking of perfect fits, enter Ryan McMahon. Currently blocked at third in Colorado by Arenado he would fit nicely in our system which lacks a clear cut top end 3B prospect. McMahon put up a 147 wRC+ is 251 rookie ball PA's in 2013, followed by a 137 wRC+ in 552 A ball PA's in 2014 and then a 141 wRC+ in 445 A+ ball PA's in 2015.

Not sure what Peralta's value is at coming off an injured/down 2015 but I'd be willing to add a couple lower end pieces if necessary to get McMahon into the system.

I woudn't add any pieces if this were to go down. McMahon is a good prospect, but Peralta is team-controlled and an established starter that's still very promising. Even with the injuries I still think Peralta has slightly more value at present. Slightly.

From the Brewers' perspective, I'd be glad to make a trade involving those two players. But if I were running the Rockies, I'd hang onto McMahon. I don't know when the Rockies will be competitive again, but Arenado will be a free agent in four years (2020), and Peralta will be a free agent in three (2019).

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd love McMahan. Just a matter if Colorado would deal him - and at what price. Wily is a decent starting point, but it's kind of hard to gauge his value after last season.

Still, Colorado hasn't developed much pitching, and free agency isn't how they are going to build. Such a deal would be pretty interesting.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This makes no sense. Why would a 94 loss team want Wily Peralta? Sure won't compete the next two years...probably not the next three years. So why trade for Wily Peralta? I don't see it at all.

Figuring out what Colorado is a tough deal. They signed Parra to a 3 year deal. They dealt Dickerson - a guy they had control of for 5 years - for a reliever with 2 years of control. I don't get them. So asking about McMahaon can't hurt.

This makes no sense. Why would a 94 loss team want Wily Peralta? Sure won't compete the next two years...probably not the next three years. So why trade for Wily Peralta? I don't see it at all.

Read below:

After Dave Stewart in Arizona, whoever is running the Rockies is the runner-up for GM with least clue about what they are doing so get them on the phone David.

The Rockies are also actively trying to sign Gallardo so upgrading their rotation is a priority for them.

I would like to pursue McMahon. When I look at other team's position prospects, some of the guys I'd really like to try get are Minnesota's Max Kepler, Toronto's Max Pentecost, McMahon, and AJ Reed from Houston.

I like that these guys look like they can hit for average.

These guys are 1b, 3b, and C. I think those are big needs in our system. Lara and Gatewood are too far away and speculative at this point at third. Not much at first, although Perry MAY surprise. Not much at catcher.

To try to swing something, ammo besides Lucroy would be Peralta, Khris Davis, and Will Smith. Maybe surplus minor league outfielder. Space these trade chips out and try to get good pieces back.

The Rockies are also actively trying to sign Gallardo so upgrading their rotation is a priority for them.

Rockies can't get FA pitchers to give them a look and Peralta has the power sinker that fits pretty well in Coors. Rockies possess enough offense to compete, they just need arms. I'm not that sold on McMahon though. The leagues he's hit in are notorious offensive leagues. Now if you expanded the deal to include a prospect at a more loaded position in the Brewer system and got Charlie Blackmon who's at the same control level as Peralta, along with McMahon, that could help Brewers be competitive in the nearer term (2017-2018) and the longer term as well.

This is such a good idea that I bet Stearns has already been working on it for a month.

The point about hitters' leagues is valid, but what do you want from the guy? He's hit three years running. He's been youngish for his league each year. He's basically done everything he can do to establish himself as a legit prospect. I'd love to have him.

Love this idea...combining this deal with a potential Lucroy to the Rangers for say Brinson & Tate deal and the farm all of a sudden looks rather outstanding. While the MLB team might be 2002-ish bad, the future would sure look bright.

For fun, if they could pull off these deals, the Brewers would have 7 of the top 61 prospects according to MLB.com #6 Arcia, #16 Brinson, #32 Phillips, #36 Tate, #48 McMahon, #57 Lopez, & #61 Hader.

I will say this though:

McMahon>Peralta

Peralta's upside is pretty obvious, his 2014 season. I see quite a bit of downside though. He is inconsistent and his control is highly questionable. He is also coming off a disaster injury riddled season. A top 50 prospect for Peralta right now is crazy talk. The Brewers need him to rebound before they get any serious offer for him.

Colorado's minor's OF depth isn't the greatest. Will Tyrone Taylor or Victor Roache really have a future for the Brewers with the logjam we have in OF?

I would think that something involving Peralta and one of the OF's for McMahon would be doable.

I will say this though:

McMahon>Peralta

Peralta's upside is pretty obvious, his 2014 season. I see quite a bit of downside though. He is inconsistent and his control is highly questionable. He is also coming off a disaster injury riddled season. A top 50 prospect for Peralta right now is crazy talk. The Brewers need him to rebound before they get any serious offer for him.

Sveumrules literally says in the thread title & OP that the offer would be Peralta+

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I will say this though:

McMahon>Peralta

Sveumrules literally says in the thread title & OP that the offer would be Peralta+

Oh I missed the part where Sveumrules was the only only person to give their opinion and post.

I will say this though:

McMahon>Peralta

Oh I missed the part where Sveumrules was the only only person to give their opinion and post.

The point was that the original poster realized that it would take Peralta and pieces to get him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The point was that the original poster realized that it would take Peralta and pieces to get him.

The point is not all the posters agreed with that notion. I then provided why I thought it would take more than just Peralta. My bad for not tagging the person(s) that disagreed with the original point.

The point is not all the posters agreed with that notion. I then provided why I thought it would take more than just Peralta. My bad for not tagging the person(s) that disagreed with the original point.

'Crazy talk' is condescension that's against the board guidelines, especially in the context of being targeted at someone in particular. Instead of calling you out on that right away, I tried to steer the discussion back to the actual premise of the thread.

On-topic regarding your post, I think the rationale you use in your valuation of McMahon & Peralta makes a lot of sense. I still think Peralta is worth keeping... seems like you could try him as a power back-end bullpen arm as a worst-case scenario. If the timing of the trade is right, closers can fetch a good return. But if McMahon is as good as he looks, I wouldn't say no to adding something to Peralta to get it done.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived