Brewer Fanatic

Need help identifying mystery Brewers tryout/workout

OK, this could be fun, could use your help --

On Wednesday 1/27, stumbled on this tweet from a baseball dad, his young man is a catcher from Shorewood, IL who is only a high school junior:

"Thursday Eastin has the honor to catch a bull pen session for MLB pitcher in front of Brewers, and Padres scout"

Next night:

"Eastin had a great bull pen session tonight in front of Pat Murphy San Diego/Milwaukee Brewers. Keep grinding!!", and linked to this video.

His son Eastin is on Twitter but hasn't tweeted about it.

"After bull pen session, Eastin is being asked what pitches worked the best, And what had the best stuff. Priceless!!", and linked to this photo.

Now I have tweeted to both the father and son (and private message'd the son), with no responses now for a few days. My guess is they were asked not to comment on the workout, which is understandable, so please, don't bombard and reach out to them via Twitter, I already politely have, maybe they'll get back to me.

So we know it's a RHP with what appears to be long hair and facial hair. And the workout was in the Joliet, IL area (Shorewood). Is the player from nearby?

My guess is that it's not related to the Padres at all, and it was a Brewers-only workout.

Doesn't look like a current Brewer, so it was probably indeed a tryout workout of sorts.

Four days ago, thought this would lead to possible breaking news and a fun scoop, but that seems unlikely at this point. We'll see...

Seeing how disinterested Pay Murphy looked in the video my guess is the kid's dad knows some people who know some people. I doubt the Brewers are sending their major league coaching staff to scout who aren't even draft eligible yet especially when all he did was catch a bullpen. MY first thought was the pitcher was Cravy based off the picture but he looks too skinny. Could just be some minor league free agent or maybe Murphy was doing a clinic since he was nearby for On Deck.

Jerry Sullivan is your guy. Pitched for Murphy in Triple-A last year in El Paso.

Knew the community here would figure it out. Thanks!

Here's a feature from last June on Sullivan. These are guys you feel for -- now 28, reached AAA, now using connections to arrange tryouts. Young family, still reaching.

This is one tough business.

Archived