Brewer Fanatic

Segura to DBacks [RHP Tyler Wagner also included; return is $5.5M, 2B Aaron Hill, RHP Chase Anderson, & SS/2B Isan Diaz]

MkeSouthSide
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems like losing Wagner is just a shoulder shrug to most? Maybe I am higher on him. Really wanted to see if he could be a #3 type for 6 yrs+ Just seemed like a guy who could really pitch, without nasty stuff, but just really control each AB

I wonder if Arizona see him as a possible bullpen arm... let his velocity play up & use him as a groundball type guy.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I liked Wagner but I can't see his stuff transitioning well at the MLB level to be anything more than a 5. Chase is an experienced, slightly better Wagner to me. I also don't understand people saying Villar starts at SS. I see Hill there and if he comes out swinging he's gone for prospects then Villar can take over. I know his salary isn't an issue but dropping him or putting him on the bench does nothin for his trade value to a playoff team looking to add a utility guy for not a ton of money since half is covered

I liked Wagner but I can't see his stuff transitioning well at the MLB level to be anything more than a 5. Chase is an experienced, slightly better Wagner to me. I also don't understand people saying Villar starts at SS. I see Hill there and if he comes out swinging he's gone for prospects then Villar can take over. I know his salary isn't an issue but dropping him or putting him on the bench does nothin for his trade value to a playoff team looking to add a utility guy for not a ton of money since half is covered

According to baseball reference Hill last played short since.2006 so I wouldn't count on him playing there for the Brewers.

Too bad we couldn't swing Banda back.

DR (MD): Isan Diaz put up great numbers and showed defensive versatility, yet most DBacks lists have him low. Is that simply a product of the hitter friendly league? Or do scouts not think the bat is for real?

Bill Mitchell: Scouts and Pioneer League managers were universally high on Diaz during my research into that league’s prospects. As good as the reports were from the Pioneer League, scouts were even more glowing about his potential after viewing him in instructional league. He probably won’t stay at shortstop, but it looks like the bat is real.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/arizona-diamondbacks-top-10-prospects-chat/

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As I try and figure out our lineup, I sort of give up since I just think there's a lot more that's going to happen.

I honestly don't think Stearns will do most any deal if he thinks it's going to fit his plan of building a sustainable winning club. That means loading up the minor league system. I'm not arguing if that's a good or bad thing - I just think we should be prepared for lots to go on in the next year. I don't think any player is safe, particularly guys destined for FA in the next few years, such as Lucroy and Peralta.

As for this deal, I wouldn't be shocked to see Hill let go or Anderson flipped to another team. As I said above, I don't think anyone is safe.

So if villar is our shortstop now, who is the backup shortstop?

Yadiel Rivera?

Given that everything points to Villar being a horrendous SS and that Rivera should spend more time in the minors, getting a guy who can somewhat field the position could still happen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
any chance Walsh can play SS enough to be the back up there? Right now not seeing a way we can keep Walsh. Infield alone you have Carter Gennett Hill Villar Rivera Cecchini Middlebrooks

Walsh has never played SS as a pro, so I doubt it's an option. If he was even close to okay he'd have probably gotten some time at the position.

So if villar is our shortstop now, who is the backup shortstop?

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/6218.png&w=350&h=254

Plus I can play 2b, 3b and 1b.

You keep up these kinds of antics, & the banhammer's a-comin'!

Also, trigger warning!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

According to baseball reference Hill last played short since.2006 so I wouldn't count on him playing there for the Brewers.

Thanks. Didn't realize it was that long ago. Someone ring the doorbell of Royce Clayton

Stearns continues to build the farm system with expendable major league talent. A lot of young arms and 5 prospects now in the Top 100. The major league club might suck for a couple years, but for a team that badly needed to reload, they're finally heading in the right direction imo.

any chance Walsh can play SS enough to be the back up there? Right now not seeing a way we can keep Walsh. Infield alone you have Carter Gennett Hill Villar Rivera Cecchini Middlebrooks

To me, it would make sense to go with

1B Carter

2B Gennett

SS Villar

3B Cecchini

IF Walsh

IF Hill

I don't see why we need both Cecchini and Middlebrooks on the major-league roster.

Keep in mind Walsh can play OF too, so even if Counsell wants Rivera on the bench, Walsh could take the 5th OF spot as a utility OF/IF.

If Yadiel Rivera is seen as near his ceiling (mediocre hitter, great D), then he's perfect for a backup role in the majors right now. I'd like to see him play a bit, given his improved recent offensive performance.

I get the feeling that Stearns likely does a great job with viewing players as replaceable assets. That's such a hard thing for a GM or fan to do. It's easy to be enamored with individual players. I think Stearns is looking to constantly cycle the roster to find something that works.

really like the trade. I think Villar will give us at least what Segura gave us the past 2 years and hope Hill plays well enough all over the field to be flipped at the deadline. and of course love the potential in Isan Diaz. and as people have stated Anderson for Wagner is a wash without the risk of wagner not making it at the major league level, which mitigates the low percentage risk that wagner exceeds his projected Anderson-level ceiling. in addition, potentially being another trade asset at some point in the near future. great trade all around from my vantage point.

so what I also want to say, is not as a wet blanket but just to offer the other side of the token.

first, I'll preface, as with Jason Rogers, segura netted more of a return than most thought the brewers would get. but, also like rogers there was no rush or immediate need to trade either of them. I still stand by that I predict a year of Rogers starting at 1B would have netted a much larger return as he already established a sturdy floor (good PH, reserve corner) that chances are he would not have lowered, but could have exceedingly increased.

same with Segura- his floor is what he has shown the last 2.5 years- which is still a starting SS, even if slightly below average. however, he is still only 25! by no means has he hit his prime, and is still talented enough, like a Gomez or myriad others to reach it. he may never reach it, but the chance of one more year or even a half of year to show his stuff and net a much larger return is worth the risk of him continuing what he's done the last couple years, as there is still trade value in what he has produced.

one more thing, re:Diaz: Hurricane Iribarren's rookie minor league season, where he hit a combined 1.106 OPS at short season and A-Ball (age 20), says hello.

1B Carter

2B Gennett

SS Villar

3B Cecchini

IF Walsh

IF Hill

I don't see why we need both Cecchini and Middlebrooks on the major-league roster.

Keep in mind Walsh can play OF too, so even if Counsell wants Rivera on the bench, Walsh could take the 5th OF spot as a utility OF/IF.

Agree only one should be on MLB roster but based on Cecchini's AAA season last year I think it makes the most sense to have him start back there given his approach needs to be changed back to what it was and he might need just a little time to figure that back out. In the meantime Middlebrooks, who sucks, can sit at 3b with Hill filling in for him and Villar (even though he's mainly been a 2b he'll be used as a utility).

I'd keep Rivera in AAA otherwise he's pretty much making the jump from AA to MLB as he didn't perform too well in AAA last year. If there's an injury then bring him up as hell at least play defense. Plus, if Villar is getting a lot of PT at SS then why bury Rivera on bench when already have Walsh and Hill.

1B Carter

2B Gennett

SS Villar

3B Cecchini

IF Walsh

IF Hill

Agree only one should be on MLB roster but based on Cecchini's AAA season last year I think it makes the most sense to have him start back there given his approach needs to be changed back to what it was and he might need just a little time to figure that back out. In the meantime Middlebrooks, who sucks, can sit at 3b with Hill filling in for him and Villar (even though he's mainly been a 2b he'll be used as a utility).

I'd keep Rivera in AAA otherwise he's pretty much making the jump from AA to MLB as he didn't perform too well in AAA last year. If there's an injury then bring him up as hell at least play defense. Plus, if Villar is getting a lot of PT at SS then why bury Rivera on bench when already have Walsh and Hill.

But in a scenario where the infield is

Carter

Gennett

Villar

Middlebrooks or Cecchini

Walsh

Hill

who is the back up short stop?

It has to be rivera right? so then out of those 6 who doesnt make the team? obviously will be answered in ST but if Walsh has a decent spring I would like to be able to keep him around, just not seeing a way that that is possible

I'm not completely buying into Chase Anderson being a solid starter. Perhaps his mediocrity is part of the Brewers' tank job?

"....the Brewers acquired Anderson, who in two seasons with the Diamondbacks has an unremarkable strikeouts to innings pitched ratio, home run totals that portend danger at hitter-friendly Miller Park, and a walks plus hits per innings pitched number north of 1.3. General manager David Stearns insists Anderson will be slotted into the starting rotation. How he would represent an improvement over what the Brewers currently have in their rotation is nothing short of a mystery."

http://www.outsidepitchmlb.com/brewers-segura-diamondbacks-trade/42019

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived