Brewer Fanatic

Segura to DBacks [RHP Tyler Wagner also included; return is $5.5M, 2B Aaron Hill, RHP Chase Anderson, & SS/2B Isan Diaz]

MkeSouthSide
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arizona sent 5.5 million to the Brewers. Were on hook for 6.5 mil of Hill's salary.

brewers also deleted Segura's contract, so the Hill's "Real" cost os even less

$2.6 mil gone from Segura and added $550k from Anderson. So roughly $4.5 mil added with Hill coming on over. If my math is right...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Arizona sent 5.5 million to the Brewers. Were on hook for 6.5 mil of Hill's salary.

brewers also deleted Segura's contract, so the Hill's "Real" cost os even less

$2.6 mil gone from Segura and added $550k from Anderson. So roughly $4.5 mil added with Hill coming on over. If my math is right...

Anderson really isn't an add because it is league minimum. We would pay someone that any way to be on the roster. However you need to remove that 550k from Segura because someone still has to fill his spot on the roster.

I know you get the same amount...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I really likely this. This is one way we need to operate - get high upside guys before they get a ton of recognition so the cost is reasonable. Sure it's a risk, but that's the kind of thing we need to do.

I look at guys in the Top 100 - such as Hader - and see quite a few who were nabbed in trades before they got big. Great move.

Isan Diaz is the exact type of player the team should continue to fill the organization with. While nothing is guaranteed, obtaining enough guys with the ceiling of a player like Diaz is going to put the odds in the Brewers favor of striking gold often enough.

Every interview David Stearns has had recently he mentions that his main objective is to build an organization that has consistent objectives/messages from top to bottom and to assemble a team that wins the World Series. I don't think it's just lip service, for the first time in my Brewers fandom I genuinely think we have the right guy in place to assemble an organization that eventually competes for the World Championship over an extended window.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I didn't think Segura was worth a bag of baseballs. I guess I forgot Dave Stewart was a GM in the league. :)

I especially like the idea of eating some salary for 2016 (Aaron Hill) in order to get a player who might be valuable for years to come. The Brewers payroll is low allowing them to add a couple of a short term bad contracts.

A couple of notes on Isan Diaz from Baseball America:

....An offseason mechanical adjustment giving his swing more leverage helped Diaz develop confidence. He has an uncanny ability to find the barrel and makes plenty of hard contact....He has slightly below-average speed, but gets good jumps and is a good baserunner....he projects as an offensive minded second baseman....
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Anderson and Hill are pretty much known for what they are at this point. Diaz is very interesting. From Prospect361.com:

"2016 Emerging Prospect:

Isan Diaz (SS)

One of the breakouts in the Diamondbacks organization was Isan Diaz. The 2014 Supplemental second round pick was overwhelmed last year but tore it up in the Pioneer League in 2015. In 68 games, he batted .360 with 13 home runs and 12 stolen bases and an 1.076 OPS. He has a nice approach at the plate but can get pull-happy as he tries to muscle up on the ball. If he can stay within himself at the plate and stay short-to-the-ball, the Diamondbacks might have something."

Yes, it's the Pioneer League & miles away from The Show. But to post a line of .360/.436/.640/1.076 in the Pioneer as an 18 year old shortstop is pretty damn impressive.

Here's a video link from Diaz's MiLB player page of him blasting a letters-high fastball for a 3-run shot: http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=350981683&sid=milb

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Guessing Wagner is on the 40man to compensate Anderson+Hill to the Brewers 40man. I think Wagner is being valued as late inning potential by the Dbacks with closer history. Villar takes over SS which I wondered all along if he'd beat out Segura in the first place come OD. Kudos to poster in rumors to grab Hill, expect Platoon with Gennett maybe flip him by deadline idea. Now it's happening. And we have a 19yr old lefty to graduate to 2b a future beyond Gennett tenure. To be honest I start questioning 90losses much less 100 forthcoming. Some AAAA player we've attained will turn out. 3b/Cf/SS one of them will succeed.

Getting Anderson, I like. Do we have a SP glut? Sure but let's consider the idea of combining 1of the SP with Garza in a trade itself. Anderson doesn't hurt giving up Peralta or even Anderson himself. How about the team adopted a 6man rotation with Lopez/Davies/Garza/Anderson/Peralta/Nelson?. You reduce Garzas starts through the trade season and get that 13mil option a 0% chance while giving him the chance to pitch back to career norms.

Either way we got another 19yr old added to the true goal. Future rebuild.

What no one is talking about

1B Perry

2B Diaz

SS Lara

3B Gatewood

LF Clark

CF Harrison

RF Orimoloye

C Atencio

That could realistically be our Wisconsin Line Up!

Overall I have posted in multiple areas that Diaz is the most important target in their system! I said in Lucroy thread & Garza for sure. So I'm extremely excited. He is a guy who could be a top prospect in next few years. His bat is explosive, he walks, and can hit. Ks though will be his struggle. He is a Baez type prospect.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

For anyone wondering Isan Diaz is listed as the same size as Scooter Gennett.

And six years younger. A 19-year old kid can change a lot as he matures in his early 20s.

Yup...just saying for size comparison he is similar to Scooter Gennett right now. More an interesting fact vs. meaningful.

Jumping back a few posts, I'd say there's as good or more of a chance that Davies ends up in AAA after spring training as Jungmann. Jungmann pitched quite well 'til he hit the wall. I'd guess it's nothing to be concerned much about at this point.

For that matter, though perhaps less likely, it's also quite possible that Anderson also pitches badly enough to end up in AAA himself. From McCalvy's brewers.com article:

Anderson, 28, will slide into a Brewers starting rotation that also includes Wily Peralta, Jimmy Nelson, Taylor Jungmann and Matt Garza, with Jorge Lopez and Zach Davies also pushing for a spot in Spring Training.

Archived