Brewer Fanatic

Segura to DBacks [RHP Tyler Wagner also included; return is $5.5M, 2B Aaron Hill, RHP Chase Anderson, & SS/2B Isan Diaz]

MkeSouthSide
Does a SP get moved now? Garza, Peralta, Davies, Jungmann, Nelson, Lopez, and now Anderson. Lopez probably starts in the minors but does it make sense to have Davies or Jungmann in Colorado Springs?

Maybe they will dump Garza to the highest bidder? I wouldn't be surprised to see Davies or Jungmann go to AAA...though I wish we could find a way to make that not happen.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Does a SP get moved now? Garza, Peralta, Davies, Jungmann, Nelson, Lopez, and now Anderson. Lopez probably starts in the minors but does it make sense to have Davies or Jungmann in Colorado Springs?

Obviously, we'd like to be rid of Garza, but that's not going to happen without eating a ton of salary. Thus, Peralta makes sense. He's only got three years of control left, meaning he's not likely part of the next winning team (unless we extend him).

So my understanding is they will use Segura mostly at 2B? His bat makes him a questionable starter at SS...2B? Good luck with that D Backs. Was there seriously nothing better out there?

I know I seem to be the only Segura fan on here, but I would say he instantly becomes one of the best defensive 2B's in MLB. He can steal a ton of bases. If he can hit .270 he could be a 3-5 WAR player at 2B.

Yeah, I know I'm crazy. But again, the guy is only 26

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Thus, Peralta makes sense. He's only got three years of control left, meaning he's not likely part of the next winning team (unless we extend him).

I would be surprised to see anyone outside of Garza getting moved before the season. Why sell low on Peralta when you don't have to? I would rather just send Jungmann or Davies to AAA for half a season than sell low on Peralta. If someone wants to pay for 2014 Peralta great, but if someone is looking for a bargain just send someone to AAA.

So my understanding is they will use Segura mostly at 2B? His bat makes him a questionable starter at SS...2B? Good luck with that D Backs. Was there seriously nothing better out there?

I know I seem to be the only Segura fan on here, but I would say he instantly becomes one of the best defensive 2B's in MLB. He can steal a ton of bases. If he can hit .270 he could be a 3-5 WAR player at 2B.

Yeah, I know I'm crazy. But again, the guy is only 26

You are trying to tell me you think Segura will have 3+ WAR defense at 2B? :indifferent

Guys we didn't take on Hills contract. He is owed 12 million and Dbacks included 12 million in the deal

Where are you reading this? The Spotrac link you included before had no detail on this at all.

I could have sworn I saw it but now all I can find is they are getting money toward his 12 million salary. So I was probably incorrect.

My bad

You are trying to tell me you think Segura will have 3+ WAR defense at 2B?

Yes, absolutely. He was a 4 WAR player at SS in 2013. Players have off-years. Past performance is not a fool-proof way of predicting future results, however yes absolutely I could see Segura being a 3+ WAR player at 2B.

I really wanted the Brewers to keep Segura and convert him to 2B. I'm thrilled about Diaz though, and am very happy he is a Brewer.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Dave Stewart says prized IF prospect Isan Diaz was one of the 1st players the #Brewers asked for during their trade talks.

You know I am just going to throw this out there...but if you ended up giving them like the first player they asked for maaaaaaybe you gave up too much? Usually you start high and kind of end up meeting in the middle.

If Dave Stewart got graded for his negotiating skills I think he would have an F.

Not sure if some of you will recall but I follow Alex Cohen, former Huntsville PBP guy, and he worked this past year in the Pioneer League for the Idaho Falls Chukars. He tweeted he saw a ton of Diaz this year (keep in mind the kid won the PL MVP) and said he killed the Chukars and that he think he projects best as a 2B.

Yes, absolutely. He was a 4 WAR player at SS in 2013. Players have off-years. Past performance is not a fool-proof way of predicting future results, however yes absolutely I could see Segura being a 3+ WAR player at 2B.

I really wanted the Brewers to keep Segura and convert him to 2B. I'm thrilled about Diaz though, and am very happy he is a Brewer.

Its more likely that 2013 is the anomaly and not the norm.

Dave Stewart says prized IF prospect Isan Diaz was one of the 1st players the #Brewers asked for during their trade talks.

You know I am just going to throw this out there...but if you ended up giving them like the first player they asked for maaaaaaybe you gave up too much? Usually you start high and kind of end up meeting in the middle.

If Dave Stewart got graded for his negotiating skills I think he would have an F.

It's possible Stewart got us to take on part of Hill's salary as a compromise. Which really is only an issue for Mark A, what do I care what the team spends in a rebuilding year? DFA Aaron Hill for all I care, we got a really nice prospect!

Really like this trade. Rotation will be interesting...I will be pretty upset though if we send Jungmann to AAA again. That would be pretty stupid IMO andcould be a huge confidence killer for him.

He is going to have to fight for a rotation spot. He sure didn't pitch like he wanted it going down the stretch. Now he has to go prove it in spring training. He has no one to blame but himself if he ends up at AAA.

A rookie hitting the wall at the end of the season is fairly normal. The Brewers are not going to develop SP by sending a guy like Jungmann to Colorado Springs. They might as well trade him IMO if that is the plan. He can't pitch awful in spring training, but I sure hope he's in Milwaukee so we can figure out what he is sooner rather than later. Isn't that what the next few years is all about?

Video of Diaz from his H.S. days:

My first thought was that his loading motion really looks like a LH version of Carlos Gómez's. Not that that actually means anything, but I thought it was very smilar.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Its more likely that 2013 is the anomaly and not the norm.

It's not even like he had a good 2013. He had an amazing first two months that propped up his whole season.

A rookie hitting the wall at the end of the season is fairly normal. The Brewers are not going to develop SP by sending a guy like Jungmann to Colorado Springs. They might as well trade him IMO if that is the plan. He can't pitch awful in spring training, but I sure hope he's in Milwaukee so we can figure out what he is sooner rather than later. Isn't that what the next few years is all about?

You know he did just fine last time he went from AAA to MLB. I don't see the issue and I really don't think it will have a negative effect on him. At most he is in AAA till August because at that point there is no reason for Garza to be on this team whether he is pitching well or pitching badly.

Archived