Brewer Fanatic

Segura to DBacks [RHP Tyler Wagner also included; return is $5.5M, 2B Aaron Hill, RHP Chase Anderson, & SS/2B Isan Diaz]

MkeSouthSide
Villar or Rivera will play SS according to THs quote from Stearns. Diaz plays 2nd and SS. Hill and Anderson if successful are flip candidates. On top of that Arizona basically paid us to take Hill. He doesn't work out it makes no difference. We aren't paying his salary.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only prospect is only 19 and is (hopefully) blocked by Arcia for the next decade.

It sounds like he profiles more as a 2B, and thus is probably the best 2B prospect in the system now.

The only prospect is only 19 and is (hopefully) blocked by Arcia for the next decade.

It sounds like he profiles more as a 2B, and thus is probably the best 2B prospect in the system now.

This is what Heyman I think tweeted. 2nd base/SS

Amazing to get Isan Diaz in this trade. Simply amazing

I would say that the inclusion of Diaz in addition to a solid starting pitcher shows that maybe a lot of Brewers fans did under-rate Jean Segura, as I have speculated many times.

I have mixed feelings on this purely from a fan's point of view. My kid's favorite player is Jean Segura and he is pretty close to devestated about this. I was hoping the Brewers would keep Segura and convert him to 2B when Arcia came up. I understand the trade and am excited about Diaz

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I would say that the inclusion of Diaz in addition to a solid starting pitcher shows that maybe a lot of Brewers fans did under-rate Jean Segura, as I have speculated many times.

I have mixed feelings on this purely from a fan's point of view. My kid's favorite player is Jean Segura and he is pretty close to devestated about this. I was hoping the Brewers would keep Segura and convert him to 2B when Arcia came up. I understand the trade and am excited about Diaz

Perhaps we underrated Segura... Or the Brewers traded him to Dave Stewart.

Yeah, Segura kind of sucks. Glad we could get something of value for him.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Glad to see Segura gone. He's one of my least favorite Brewers ever. Anderson could wind up being a steal. He's put up some decent numbers and can either be a rotation contributor or a trade piece.

Dave Stewart continues to do dumb things in Arizona. I'm not sure what Segura provides for them and they're paying all of Hill's salary to get him? I hate Tony La Russa as much as the next Brewer fan but does he have any say in the things that go on there? The moves Stewart has made don't seem like the kind moves the Cardinals or A's did to build their teams.

Has anyone read the actual amount of money coming the Brewers' way? The closest I can find is this from the JS article:

The Brewers sent Segura and minor-league pitcher Tyler Wagner to the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for right-hander Chase Anderson, veteran infielder Aaron Hill, shortstop prospect Isan Diaz and cash. The undisclosed money coming to Milwaukee is to offset the 2016 salary of Hill, who is due to make $12 million.

Some have mentioned the Diamondbacks are paying most/all of Hill's salary, I could see that being interpreted as paying all of his salary, but I don't think it's clear.

rumor has it that the Dbacks will include some of Hill's salary. I hope it's at least $8 of the $12 million. Ultimately it doesn't matter. We'll have such a low payroll this year that we can do trades like the Braves did last year where we add contracts and release the players, just to bring in prospects. I don't see Hill being a Brewer opening day. If he is, it's the Kotsay/Kapler role

Has anyone read the actual amount of money coming the Brewers' way? The closest I can find is this from the JS article:

The Brewers sent Segura and minor-league pitcher Tyler Wagner to the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for right-hander Chase Anderson, veteran infielder Aaron Hill, shortstop prospect Isan Diaz and cash. The undisclosed money coming to Milwaukee is to offset the 2016 salary of Hill, who is due to make $12 million.

Some have mentioned the Diamondbacks are paying most/all of Hill's salary, I could see that being interpreted as paying all of his salary, but I don't think it's clear.

I haven't seen any specific number either. My guess is it would have to be at minimum half of his salary.

Honestly seems it was a perfect match and we got lucky. D Backs wanted a SS(I guess?) and had a very promising player, but so far off he was expendable. Seems like typical Dave Stewart. His whole job depends on probably the next 3-5 years so what worth does Isan Diaz have to him? From the D Backs perspective seems like a very odd trade. Trading Anderson for someone who MAYBE is Anderson someday and then trades for a fringe starting SS and give back a promising SS prospect.

Looking forward to seeing a Arcia/Diaz DP combo someday...let the dreaming begin.

There is that!

I seem to recall a few posts recently saying something along the lines of "quick, trade some Brewers to Arizona before Stewart gets fired!"

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

There is that!

I seem to recall a few posts recently saying something along the lines of "quick, trade some Brewers to Arizona before Stewart gets fired!"

From McCalvy on Twitter: "One of Stearns' first contacts after getting the job was D-backs exec Dave Stewart." :laughing

Seems like a good deal. Neither Segura or Hill are very good and so long as the Dbacks pick up a good chunk of salary it is a wash.

Wagner and Anderson are probably similar talents but at least Anderson has shown some ability at the MLB level. Advantage Brewers.

It really seems like we got Diaz for free

Seems like a good deal. Neither Segura or Hill are very good and so long as the Dbacks pick up a good chunk of salary it is a wash.

Wagner and Anderson are probably similar talents but at least Anderson has shown some ability at the MLB level. Advantage Brewers.

It really seems like we got Diaz for free

Only in an alternative universe, in my point of view, did we get Diaz for free. Segura is only entering his age 26 season and has at least a reasonable chance of becoming an All-Star again. Hill is strictly a utility veteran in his decline years

Segura is only entering his age 26 season and has at least a reasonable chance of becoming an All-Star again.

Have you watched him play the last couple years? I agree that he isn't equivalent to Aaron Hill and his $12M contract, but Segura stinks.

I agree, who cares if we have to pay the full salary. We need the talent more than the money.

I don't think it matters from our payroll's perspective, but it does matter in evaluating the trade. For instance, if the Dbacks paid his whole salary, this looks like a steal (and makes flipping Hill that much easier if he has a good first half). If the Brewers end up paying most of Hill's salary, I probably would have expected another prospect thrown in there to clearly make it worth clearing that space for the Dbacks.

Archived