Brewer Fanatic

Segura to DBacks [RHP Tyler Wagner also included; return is $5.5M, 2B Aaron Hill, RHP Chase Anderson, & SS/2B Isan Diaz]

MkeSouthSide
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Segura was brutal in 14' and 15'. He was 0.6 WAR and 0.0 WAR as a full time player. That's replacement level. Every player has bad months, but starters shouldn't be putting up replacement level numbers for 2 years.

I'm happy as heck for Jean that he figured it out, or turned it around or whatever happened....happened, but spinning it any way possible to say he wasn't awful for 2 1/2 years as a Brewer is just that......spin. He was bad.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The question is why was he bad here and All Star level somewhere else?

He wasn't. He had the same season for us one year. No reason to question it unless he is great again next year which is probably unlikely. But if you want a simple answer, likely a sophomore slump followed by his son dying and messing him up.

He wasn't. He had the same season for us one year. No reason to question it unless he is great again next year which is probably unlikely. But if you want a simple answer, likely a sophomore slump followed by his son dying and messing him up.

He wasn't really all that good even in the second half of the first year. He was pretty horrific for us from July of 2013 until we traded him other than an odd month here and there. The defensive metrics also have him around average at best.

I also think this trade worked out great for everyone involved. Segura was a fairly redundant piece for us. We had Arcia heading to AAA to start this year with the possibility of a June call up. The trade opened up an opportunity and Villar stepped in and impressed. We also got a few players for the future. Segura had a great year. Hopefully his career has a better arc than Gomez and he continues to hit from here out.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Per Fangraphs, Segura went from -22.1 offensive WAR last year to plus 25.9this year. Yowzers.

Looking a little deeper...

He's got a .354 BABIP so his average is going to probably drop next year but he's definitely hitting the ball a lot harder so the slugging is real. Makes the last two seasons all the more frustrating. I'm not upset with the trade though. I think at the time most people thought we fleeced AZ and if it turns out to be an even trade that's just fine.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Segura now with 200 hits on the season with 20 HRs and 30 SBs. I wonder how many players in history have had all three things in a single season. I also wonder if he played for a contender if people would be talking about him as a potential MVP.

I think Segura has said that Milwaukee carried too much emotional baggage for him w/r/t his son. Lowering his hands or not, I don't think it was going to happen in MKE. I also wonder if he feels more comfortable in a city that has a much larger Spanish speaking population/influence. While he is Dominican and Phoenix is much more Mexican, it's much more similar than Dominican versus a heavily Northern European/English influence in Milwaukee.

I think Segura has said that Milwaukee carried too much emotional baggage for him w/r/t his son. Lowering his hands or not, I don't think it was going to happen in MKE. I also wonder if he feels more comfortable in a city that has a much larger Spanish speaking population/influence. While he is Dominican and Phoenix is much more Mexican, it's much more similar than Dominican versus a heavily Northern European/English influence in Milwaukee.

I think that's a reach.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think that's a reach.

Yeah, I know players are different but Carlos Gomez loved Milwaukee and hated Houston, so I doubt the relative lack of "Spanish population/influence" is a problem for the Brewers.

I could see how a player losing his son could have tremendous impact, and how a change of scenery could be a benefit (it could also be a hindrance, depending on the palyer).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Segura lowered his hands at the suggestion of Luis Mercedes who he worked with over the winter in the Dominican Republic. Nice to see him experiencing success again.

Yea, same thing happened with Broxton and he also thrived as a result. Once in awhile a tweak with a hitter or pitcher in their mechanics can have a pretty dramatic impact.

Archived