Brewer Fanatic

Segura to DBacks [RHP Tyler Wagner also included; return is $5.5M, 2B Aaron Hill, RHP Chase Anderson, & SS/2B Isan Diaz]

MkeSouthSide
I also like his quote, which is a stark contrast from Lucroy's view:

As for being dealt from contender to rebuilder, Hill said, "You don't have any control over that. Any player who is competitive will tell you they want to win. But just because a team is rebuilding doesn't mean you can't compete. You never know what's going to happen.

For those wondering what Lucroy should have said instead of what he did say, this would be that.

Hill could have taken the Junior Spivey route and have been devastated, but he's at least willing to say the right things. That's a good thing.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has Counsell ever uttered the words "gritty"? Or are we stuck on Ned Yost re-runs?

As for being dealt from contender to rebuilder, Hill said, "You don't have any control over that. Any player who is competitive will tell you they want to win. But just because a team is rebuilding doesn't mean you can't compete. You never know what's going to happen.

There is a big difference in a star catcher in his prime and a back-up infielder that is happy to have a job (for now).

I hate to say it, but we should be so lucky as have Ned 2.0 here these days.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think 'playing the right way' can have a couple of interpretations.

One is the 'white way' - as noted earlier.

The other is working hard, helping your teammates, doing the little things (hitting cutoff men, laying down bunts properly, backing up plays like you are supposed to, etc.).

I think you guys are underestimating what Hill's accomplished in his career. He's lacked consistency year to year but this is a guy who's been a 5+ WAR player 3 times. That's All Star level. He's 34, not 38 and yes he's not been good the last couple years, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that he's got another solid season in him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Has Counsell ever uttered the words "gritty"? Or are we stuck on Ned Yost re-runs?

There is a big difference in a star catcher in his prime and a back-up infielder that is happy to have a job (for now).

Hill was going to get paid his salary this year whether he got 650 plate appearances, got 50 plate appearances, or whether he gets cut, and doesn't play at all.

The line "you never know what's going to happen" is correct. He acknowledges that the Brewers are rebuilding, and less likely to compete. He acknowledges that he wants to win. He states that competing is not 100% out of the question.

A correct, diplomatic answer to the question that was asked.

I wouldn't mind if the Brewers ate the rest of Hill's salary in order to flip him for a prospect.

That said, when I hear the comparison to Counsell's clubhouse presence, I remember when Fielder was leaving, and Corey Hart said that the real loss to the team would be Counsell because of his clubhouse presence. That may or may not mean much, but I think this team has seemed pretty undisciplined the past few seasons (swing out of your shoes no matter the situation, make horrible base-running mistakes, etc), so maybe a veteran leader might not be the worst thing in the world to teach the young guys "the right way to play," which to me means not making stupid mistakes. In that regard, we need more Carlos Lee and less Carlos Gomez.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hill was going to get paid his salary this year whether he got 650 plate appearances, got 50 plate appearances, or whether he gets cut, and doesn't play at all.

The line "you never know what's going to happen" is correct. He acknowledges that the Brewers are rebuilding, and less likely to compete. He acknowledges that he wants to win. He states that competing is not 100% out of the question.

A correct, diplomatic answer to the question that was asked.

Very true. Note to Lucroy, you don't have to be a bonehead to be honest.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think 'playing the right way' can have a couple of interpretations.

One is the 'white way' - as noted earlier.

The other is working hard, helping your teammates, doing the little things (hitting cutoff men, laying down bunts properly, backing up plays like you are supposed to, etc.).

I think the "right way" he's referring to is being a marginal at best baseball player yet somehow getting jobs in your late 30's.

I'm hoping Hill comes out blazing hot and we can flip him at the deadline to some sucker. The rest of this talk is silliness because that is the only talking point when it comes to Hill.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm hoping Hill comes out blazing hot and we can flip him at the deadline to some sucker. The rest of this talk is silliness because that is the only talking point when it comes to Hill.

If he were paid league minimum, what would his trade value be? That is essentially the case if the Brewers trade him right now, while agreeing to pick up the $6M or so the Diamondbacks aren't paying.

~Bill Walsh

If he were paid league minimum, what would his trade value be? That is essentially the case if the Brewers trade him right now, while agreeing to pick up the $6M or so the Diamondbacks aren't paying.

Right now as in today? Not all that great of a trade asset, even for free. Could he get a lower end guy like Ramirez retrieved us? Maybe. But I think we need to hold out hope he has 4 hot months in him and he can increase that and we can flip him for a high ceiling guy and move on. I know we make fun of needing veterans around but maybe Hill is that guy to help the younger players progress and move forward. Ya just never know.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Baseball Prospectus has an article up about Chase Anderson and his pitching style over the past two years. It looks like he significantly adjusted his focus from 2014 to 2015. Pitching up in the zone, looking for strikeouts in 2014, to pitching down in the zone, looking for more weak contact in 2015. This could be La Russa's influence after becoming director of baseball operations or a cognizant effort to put more balls in play.

http://milwaukee.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2016/02/16/did-chase-anderson-have-a-sophomore-slump-dra-cfip/

I think the Lohse for Anderson trade off is being discounted significantly, in terms of win-loss outlook for the year. Regression to the mean for Peralta and a less than horrific year from Garza (and spin off for assets mid-season), in addition to Anderson should make for a significant upgrade to the rotation.

• 4 weeks later...
When I saw this thread pop back up I assumed it would be about Anderson's brutal spring but what about what the Dbacks are doing? Apparently they're considering Segura at SS and even possibly trading Nick Ahmed to make it happen. Last year Ahmed put up a 70 OPS+, which (when you take out the fluke 2013) is almost exactly the same as Segura's career. Defensively, Ahmed had more dWAR last year then Segura has had his whole career combined. It's almost like someone is telling Dave Stewart what the smart move is and he's doing the opposite.

I think we pretty much know what Anderson is at this point. Some have gone the other way and say he could be even better because he gained a couple of MPH on his fastball but I imagine he will again be a pitcher around .500 with a ERA in the low 4 area.

Does Anderson have any options left? His ST has been brutal.

According to JSOnline, he's been working on a new grip for his curve. A perfectly reasonable thing to do in spring training, and it's also reasonable to expect a few to be hung and launched.

According to JSOnline, he's been working on a new grip for his curve. A perfectly reasonable thing to do in spring training, and it's also reasonable to expect a few to be hung and launched.

This is the kind of information we have to look for. Spring training box score stats are next to useless. Game plans are set up for practice rather than to win. Players may be working on certain skills, in this case, a new grip. It's really necessary to watch the players, know what their goals are, and judge from there. From a fan standpoint, hopefully some of this stuff is reported, but in many cases, it may not be.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This is the kind of information we have to look for. Spring training box score stats are next to useless. Game plans are set up for practice rather than to win. Players may be working on certain skills, in this case, a new grip. It's really necessary to watch the players, know what their goals are, and judge from there. From a fan standpoint, hopefully some of this stuff is reported, but in many cases, it may not be.

Couldn't agree more. Panic seems to set in for a lot of fans when looking through a spring training box score. I'd rather use his MLB numbers over the last two seasons.

I also seem to recall Sheets looking iffy in the early parts of spring training. Usually because he was trying to work on a change-up. He didn't have a problem turning it on for the season. On the flip side, Wang was lights out early in the spring.

Segura has been tearing up the Cactus League to the tune of .541/.553/.811. I watched the D-Backs broadcast last night and they love him though they were quick to point out that last night was the first time he'd walked all spring.

While I thought Brewers got a decent deal for him, I was never in the camp that he's not a major league caliber starting SS. In fact they might have sold low on him.

Segura has been tearing up the Cactus League to the tune of .541/.553/.811. I watched the D-Backs broadcast last night and they love him though they were quick to point out that last night was the first time he'd walked all spring.

While I thought Brewers got a decent deal for him, I was never in the camp that he's not a major league caliber starting SS. In fact they might have sold low on him.

So you want to throw around his Cactus league numbers but make no mention of his horrific batter statistics over the last 2-3 years in the actual major leagues?

Archived