Brewer Fanatic

Segura to DBacks [RHP Tyler Wagner also included; return is $5.5M, 2B Aaron Hill, RHP Chase Anderson, & SS/2B Isan Diaz]

MkeSouthSide

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anderson and Hill are pretty much known for what they are at this point. Diaz is very interesting. From Prospect361.com:

"2016 Emerging Prospect:

Isan Diaz (SS)

One of the breakouts in the Diamondbacks organization was Isan Diaz. The 2014 Supplemental second round pick was overwhelmed last year but tore it up in the Pioneer League in 2015. In 68 games, he batted .360 with 13 home runs and 12 stolen bases and an 1.076 OPS. He has a nice approach at the plate but can get pull-happy as he tries to muscle up on the ball. If he can stay within himself at the plate and stay short-to-the-ball, the Diamondbacks might have something."

That SS sounds intriguing. Aaron Hill becomes super utility guy on infield -- on an infield that seems to already have a few of those that are cheap? I dunno. I like the wheeling and dealing. Good luck to Segura and Wagner.

not sure what this does. Anderson is a fine 4th starter. Diaz looks awesome. I'll miss following Wagner dominating the minors. Hill isn't very good. He's not a candidate for comeback player of the year. a platoon with Scooter?

I don't like losing Wagner, not one single bit... Sneed and Wagner were two of my favorite t-rats to watch, I hope what we got in return is worth it.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Is Hill a salary munch to facilitate getting Diaz back?

No...Brewers got 12 million in the deal covering his salary

They received the full amount of his contract with him? Seems highly unusual.

Yep......http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/arizona-diamondbacks/aaron-hill/

Chase Anderson is not a throw in, he's a solid back-end starter and we will have him for five years. Basically you are trading Tyler Wagner and a redundant Jean Segura for five years of Tyler Wagner's ceiling, a veteran utility guy, and a nice SS prospect.

Wow amazing deal for the horrendous Segura and a nothing special maybe back end of the rotation starter.

Aaron Hill-(whatever)

Chase Anderson- He isn't anything special, but teams are always searching for back end of the rotation guys. Come the trade deadline we could easily flip him for an interesting prospect or two. If he improves a bit even better. Not to mention we can have him another 5 years. Could be a solid veteran pitcher on the next contender.

Isan Diaz- He is the real star of this trade. Honestly if you ask me we will all look back on this trade three years from now and wonder how the heck we got him for a couple of role players.

the largest question i have is who plays SS on opening day now? probably Villar if they are determined to start Arcia in AAA.

I don't understand the reasoning of getting a 5th starter who isn't that young and Aaron Hill. The only prospect is only 19 and is (hopefully) blocked by Arcia for the next decade.

I liked the idea of taking on Hill's salary to get a good prospect, but i don't get this one....

The only prospect is only 19 and is (hopefully) blocked by Arcia for the next decade.

Except Diaz showed quite a bit of power last year. To be exact he OPSed over 1.000. He could easily slide over to 2B or 3B...though he is pretty short for 3B.

MLB Pipeline blurb on Diaz:

The D-backs selected Diaz 70th overall in the 2014 Draft out of Springfield Central (Mass.) High, luring him away from a commitment to Vanderbilt with a $750,000 bonus. After hitting .187 in his pro debut, the Puerto Rico native bounced back in '15 to capture MVP honors in the Rookie-level Pioneer League, posting a .360/.436/.640 batting line with 13 home runs in 68 games for Missoula. On top of that, he also led the league in slugging, extra-base hits (44) and doubles (25).

A left-handed hitter, Diaz's combination of plus bat speed and strong bat-to-ball skills enables him to make hard contact and drive the ball with authority across the whole field. He tweaked his swing during the offseason so as to create more leverage through the hitting zone, and the adjustment allowed him to tap into his impressive raw power in games more consistently. While the approach is advanced for his age, and he's not afraid to take a walk, Diaz did a better job of being more selectively aggressive last year in his sophomore campaign.

Diaz has below-average speed but runs the bases well, with scouts praising his instincts and knack for getting good jumps. He has spent most of his professional career at shortstop but profiles as more of a second baseman at the highest level, where his range, speed and arm strength are a cleaner fit. That said, Diaz's value at either middle-infield spot will be tied to his production.

After raking in the Pioneer League, Diaz is ready to make his full-season debut in 2016. While he has a ways to go before reaching the Major Leagues, Diaz could emerge as one of the D-backs' top position prospects with another strong campaign.

Nothing really lost. Segura wasn't here long-term anyway, and Villar should be just as good for now if that's what you're worried about.

Seems like a good way to grab a nice prospect. Hill could be flipped for something too.

the largest question i have is who plays SS on opening day now? probably Villar if they are determined to start Arcia in AAA.

I don't understand the reasoning of getting a 5th starter who isn't that young and Aaron Hill. The only prospect is only 19 and is (hopefully) blocked by Arcia for the next decade.

I liked the idea of taking on Hill's salary to get a good prospect, but i don't get this one....

I understand it.

Diaz is honestly more than I would've expected Segura to return by himself.

Wagner's upside is maybe what Anderson is now. So that's probably a win just in terms of getting a controllable starter with trade value later. We take on Hill's contract but we have a ton of payroll space and we're getting money to help cover his salary. Plus if he performs (not counting on it obviously) he could maybe get us a Barrios type prospect like Ramirez did last year.

Archived