Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire OF Rymer Liriano from SD for farmhand LHP Trevor Seidenberger; Shane Peterson DFA'd (Update: Peterson clears waivers, accepts NRI)

bill hAll Star

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since a 40-man spot has to be cleared, is this finally it for Shane Peterson?

As for who/what the Brewers are giving up... [sarcasm]maybe the Padres really like Matt Garza for some reason?[/sarcasm]

Come on...lets not joke around here.

I don't mean this as a knock on DM, and maybe it's just that this part of a rebuild isn't rocket science, but it's kind of weird to say "somewhat obscure, not yet rumored move [x] would make a ton of sense," and then a few days later move [x] actually happens. Cecchini, Carter, arguably Middlebrooks, now Liriano all feel like that to me. Not that any of them is an obviously brilliant, can't-miss move, but they were out there as classic "buy low, maybe get lucky" targets for a rebuilding team, and we went out and got them. It's nice to feel like we have a firm plan.

The same thing in reverse works for Peterson. You look at him, and you can't figure out what he really gives you. In past years I feel like three or four guys like that would always be taking up space on the roster. But now you look at the roster and see that Peterson is pretty clearly the least useful guy (for us) there, and pretty quickly he's gone.

Based on his past rankings, 2015 season, talent, etc., it seems like he should be considered a top-100 prospect to me. Anybody know why he seems to have fallen off 2016 lists, other than being one year older? He had a great year in AAA and showed that he can hit for AVG.

Fantastic pick up.

And while the move itself is almost certainly not directly related to a potential trade of Braun or Davis, I'd guess it nudges the odds of one of them being traded up a little bit. The Brewers have moved assets for Liriano and Broxton (and Santana before Stearns got here), so you'd think they wouldn't be trading assets away if the players they are getting back stand a decent risk of getting lost shortly thereafter.

And while the move itself is almost certainly not directly related to a potential trade of Braun or Davis, I'd guess it nudges the odds of one of them being traded up a little bit. The Brewers have moved assets for Liriano and Broxton (and Santana before Stearns got here), so you'd think they wouldn't be trading assets away if the players they are getting back stand a decent risk of getting lost shortly thereafter.

Don't forget Flores. Gave up Sardinas for him

Toby, I was just going to post almost exactly that. This young man has skills, he's been on the radar for a while now, it would take a catastrophic March for the Brewers to let him go.

This move may not indicate an imminent trade of an outfielder, but it does make me think one will come before Opening Day.

Based on his past rankings, 2015 season, talent, etc., it seems like he should be considered a top-100 prospect to me. Anybody know why he seems to have fallen off 2016 lists, other than being one year older? He had a great year in AAA and showed that he can hit for AVG.

Fantastic pick up.

SRB, this young man has always had the tools. Scouts have varied in their opinions on his ceiling, but never on the raw talent. He missed a year to Tommy John surgery, and he didn't do well at the big league level, I'm sure that's where the drop in ranking comes from.

I don't care. Prospects lists are a lot of fun, but they also mean nothing in the end - talent is talent, the Brewers made the right call here.

Maybe Liriano never puts it together at the MLB level, but if he does, the Brewers will have him right to age 30 - isn't that just about perfect?

EDIT: Welcome to the list, young man.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=mil

Love it, bring in as many high ceiling, tool shed, former top rated prospects as you can and see which one will hit. With all these guys, you have to believe that at least 1 or 2 will stick. Build that competition up to the max. See who wants the opportunity the most. Moreover, trading Davis looks a lot better and more certain by end of spring training if any of these guys shine.

Great move, no risk. How is he in CF? He is 6'0 230 but very athletic (NFL in box SS type build and athletic ability)

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Fantastic pick up.

SRB, this young man has always had the tools. Scouts have varied in their opinions on his ceiling, but never on the raw talent. He missed a year to Tommy John surgery, and he didn't do well at the big league level, I'm sure that's where the drop in ranking comes from.

Good point. Kiley McDaniel at Fangraphs still had him in his top 200 last season though (after his Tommy John and poor MLB stint), giving him the same rating as Knebel, Coulter, Taylor, Harrison, and Lara, for what it's worth. You'd think his great 2015 at AAA would have answered a lot of skeptics and bumped him up even further, but maybe not. Top-100 might be pushing it, but he wasn't even on the Padres Top 10 this season :rolleyes

In any event, I'm excited to have him on a rebuilding team!

I don't see anyone on this roster starting in CF over Liriano. He is a guy who just needs to play. Almost at every jump in his minor league career he was struggled. The once he gets enough at bats, he pounds the ball and improves. The fact he was not good in 38 games, 121 PA's in 2014 at age 23 isn't enough to write him off like SD did.

Just look at Gomez, at 23 he slashed .229 .287 .337 .623....in 200 more AB's then Liriano. Almost the same numbers. He was actually not good at 24 & 25 with only small improvements every year til breaking out at 26. Most fans wanted him gone for Cain.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gomezca01.shtml

Point, when a guy has very tool in the world to be a top tier player, give him a legit chance to fail and improve.

Flores I believe is more of an Aoki type defender. He can play CF but better suited for corner. Not a big arm, average athlete.... don't quote me on that but that is what I believe I have read on him

Archived