Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion Thread, Rounds 1-5

Thanks for the updates, and the pictures, Stevo. I'm jealous, as the CWS is at the top of my list of things I'm going to do when I quit my current job.

I haven't seen him much in the CWS, and when I have he hasn't done much, but when I watch Gillespie in the regionals he was pretty much a dead pull hitter. You could tell from his approach that was where he wanted to hit the ball. And I didn't even mean that as a bad thing, as the best sluggers in baseball typically are pull hitters despite having power to all fields (hence the crazy shifts you see these days).

Keep your first-hand observations coming. I'd love to hear more about some of the other guys you've seen, although that may be more worthy in a different thread.

EDIT: Oregon State just knocked off Rice and moves on to face UNC on Saturday. More opportunities for everyone to watch Cole Gillespie in action.

BTW, I wanted to add to re-emphasize just how much I think Gillespie could be a steal in this year's draft. He really looks like a man among boys on the college game, and really is a joy to watch. If he plays at Helena I could easily see him taking home triple crown categories by the end of the summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him debut at WV, or at least end the summer there, if not BC.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well a few observations...

I went in really telling myself to watch Gillespie and Weeks. Jemile seems like a little different type of player than Rickie. He's smaller than Rickie, but he seems to make more contact. He is a great baserunner and has blinding speed. He also seemed pretty solid defensively at second. If a few games can tell anything, it seems he will be more of a prototypical leadoff hitter. Of course, his power could develop over the next few years. I think he'll win the Golden Spikes just like Rickie though. He was an All-American already as a freshman.

Daniel Bard of UNC has a very live arm, but he wasn't consistenlty hitting his locations in his start against Fullerton. He struggled a bit, but then sort of settled down and ate innings. It was fairly impressive overall.

I only saw Andrew Miller pitch to one hitter, but I'm glad I got to see him at all. In his few pitches, his stuff looked electric.

Jonah Nickerson of OSU was outstanding Thursday night, and it was off two days rest. I found it interesting that the more heralded Dallas Buck told his coach he wasn't ready to pitch, and he had one more day of rest than Nickerson.

Kevin Gunderson, OSU's closer, seems unhittable at the college level. The same goes for Rice's reliever Cox (the first name escapes me...)

That's a great assessment of Jemile Weeks Stevo. I watched him play a good half dozen times this spring, if not more, and he is more of a true leadoff type hitter and should have no problem sticking at 2B.

Just wondering if anyone saw the CWS final tonight. I wasn't sure where to discuss it, but anyways...

Cole Gillespie had a home run and a single. His home run was to right center field. Unfortunately, Oregon St. lost in a tight game. They will have to win the next two games to win the title.

I watched it. I saw at-bat's number two and three (strikeout and home run). He looks good at the plate. I guess I expected him to be larger...he looks athletic...but almost small. Good bat speed though.

He won't be a tough sign, will he?

I guess I expected him to be larger...he looks athletic...but almost small. Good bat speed though.

I missed this earlier this morning, probably because you posted a minute before my reply, but you think Gillespie looks small? I thought he looked like a man among boys on the field, and physically reminds me of Jeff Kent or Sean Burroughs with those dramatically sloped yet strong shoulders. He has a good build IMO, and from what I've heard he has worked really hard to get as big as he has the past year or two.

In person GIllespie didn't seem really tall or anything, but he looked pretty built. They have been talking at length on ESPN about all the weight training he's been doing.

Semi-related note: What a comeback for the Beavers tonight! Game three tomorrow... can't wait!

Archived