2006 AZL-- 245-1-9 (late sign)

2007 Helena--- 289-3-22 30SB

2008 low A--- 275-5-41 48 SB

2009 hi A--- 258-4-35 35 SB

2010 hi A/AA----263-5-40 33 SB

Stagnates a bit

Signs with Detroit as a 6-yr FA

Released aster 2012 season

Scout.com has Brewer listed at 6'2" 195lbs with a 4.48 40. They have him as a three star prospect. Speed, size, and football accumen reminds me a little of Carl Crawford. Of course, Crawford was a QB while Brewer is a WR or DB.

on a side note, rock music has gotten really, really bad.

I'm not even sure if the high school kids can stand it anymore... maybe that's why they all went EMO...

Anyway, i agree with whoever said we should draft all pitching and see if we hit on a couple gems.. It wasn't said in this forum, it was in the IGT yesterday i believe.

BA says the following on Brewer:

4. Brent Brewer, ss/of (National rank: 152)

"Scouts recall Brewer stepping out of a batting cage at last summer's East Coast Showcase to answer cell phone calls from college football recruiters."

"swings and misses frequently. When he squares balls on his barrel, he shows above-average power."

I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind the Brewer pick as much if the Brewers took a more polished pick in round 1. Jeffress & Brewer 1-2 is a lot like Rogers & Gallardo 1-2, except that Brewer (unlike Gallardo) was never really considered a potential first-round pick.

Obviously the organization isn't changing their drafting philosophy with their new-found success at the big-league level. I don't mean to make this sound like a knee-jerk reaction, but so far I'm not impressed.

There are some really good players flying off the board just ahead of the Brewers in round 3. Mike Murray (prep C, NJ) or Barfield's kid (big OF from TX) could be an option here...or Jared Hughes, I don't recall seeing his name being called.

EDIT: I spoke too soon...

Cole Gillespie predicyions!!!

2006---SS---348-8-56

2007---hi A---294-11-74

2008---AA---314-18-79

Placed on 40-man roster

2009---AAA---285-17-66

Recalled 9/2-09

2009---MIL---225-1-5

Spends 2009-2021 in the majors with::

Mil 09-16

CLE 16-18

ANA 19-20

LA 2021

Retires after 2021 season

Colby, any info on Cole Gillespie? The BF.net site won't work now - too busy. Thanks.

No info on Gillespie, as I did not provide a profile for him. I have updated the scouting reports on the official draft pick thread, including comments from BA & MLB.com. He's a good hitter, and I remember hearing the stories of him hitting a bomb off of Lincecum despite having a sore shoulder. I like this pick for the simple fact that the Brewers seemed to take him for his bat.

Hughes I'm sure is still on the board because he didn't strike many batters out this season and had some rough outings (although most of those rough outings were marred by poor defense behind him).

I still contend that he is going to be a solid pro since he pitches to contact and induces a bunch of groundballs. And he throws 94, which seems to get overlooked.

Archived