Brewer Fanatic

Braun and Orioles

Luke99

Heyman threw out Braun's name in connection to the Orioles. It was very likely in passing but it may be a fit. They are clearly trying to win now. They apparently made an offer to Cespedes and have some cash.

Braun for Jomar Reyes (3B), Chris Lee (LHP), Jonah Heim (catcher, a lot of late season reports had him improving, and I am a sucker for switch hitting catchers), and Ryan McKenna (CF or 2B, plus athleticism and reportedly has a solid batting eye, raw)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/orioles-cespedes-rumors-five-year-offer.html

Braun is just so hard to peg a return on, with his surgery and PED issue. I would start with Braun and see what the Orioles are offering or how much money they want back with him and things stalemate, drop the idea of moving Davis. Apparently the Orioles have a higher payroll than normal and might give up a lot for Davis. The same article also stated they might be in the market for a starter too. If they don't get who they want a Davis/Peralta trade would fit nicely if they have the pieces.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

I would be disappointed if that's all we got back for Braun. We're not hurting with our payroll so I would try to eat as much of his salary as possible in order to bring back a better return. I do like Reyes and the switch hitting catcher though and would try to bring them back as apart of any deal. I would just hope we would get a better pitching prospect in return. Even taking a chance on Dylan Bundy who is out of options seems more intriguing.
@WiscoSportsNut

I'd want Trey Mancini or Chance Sisco back in any deal with Baltimore.

Add Jomar Reyes and we got a good package going.

For me anything with O's has to be with Sisco and Reyes included. I have a very hard tie considering the trade otherwise.

Honestly, I know it will be confusing but if they want an OF/DH, they should be looking at KHRis Davis to be the splash brother with CHRis Davis. Hard for them to afford Chris Davis & Braun, Machado will need megabucks pretty soon....Khris Davis is cheap for next 3-4 years. They will be locking there future around the success of Chris Davis & Braun for the next 5 years.

Even with Davis, I demand Reyes OR Sisco. I do like Mancini as well. "Cecchini fields the ball at 3rd and guns it to 1st, great scoop by Mancini!" Ceccini to Mancini is a great combo name.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

"Cecchini to Mancini is a great combo name" Yes, but unfortunately Cecchini can't hit or field. Mancini on the other hand is coming off a monster season between Hi A and AA: .341/.375/.563 with 21 HR and just 93 K's in 533 AB's. He might be one of the best all around bats in all the minor leagues and a guy who'd be ready to assume first base job in Milwaukee by 2017.

"Cecchini to Mancini is a great combo name" Yes, but unfortunately Cecchini can't hit or field. Mancini on the other hand is coming off a monster season between Hi A and AA: .341/.375/.563 with 21 HR and just 93 K's in 533 AB's. He might be one of the best all around bats in all the minor leagues and a guy who'd be ready to assume first base job in Milwaukee by 2017.

Please go back and see what Cecchini hit at those levels at a similar age. .322/.443/.471/.915. 47 extra base hits 23 SB's 94 BB to 86 K. Also Cecchini can field both 1B & 3B. Moreover, he is not a liability in in the field. Is he going to win ton of Gold Gloves, no. But, he is not going to hurt you or be a liability either. So please explain to me how he can't hit or field when clearly at the same levels and age, the major difference is Cecchini walks a ton more, Mancini hits for more HR power.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2014/3/5/5473208/garin-cecchini-and-the-importance-of-the-hit-tool

Boston was in love with his bat until he had his struggles in 2015. His hit tool and ability to walk were considered top of the line.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Please go back and see what Cecchini hit at those levels at a similar age. .322/.443/.471/.915. 47 extra base hits 23 SB's 94 BB to 86 K. Also Cecchini can field both 1B & 3B. Moreover, he is not a liability in in the field. Is he going to win ton of Gold Gloves, no. But, he is not going to hurt you or be a liability either. So please explain to me how he can't hit or field when clearly at the same levels and age, the major difference is Cecchini walks a ton more, Mancini hits for more HR power.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2014/3/5/5473208/garin-cecchini-and-the-importance-of-the-hit-tool

Boston was in love with his bat until he had his struggles in 2015. His hit tool and ability to walk were considered top of the line.

Most of the scouting reports I've read on Cecchini's defense is that it's below average - but not terribly so. It's not like he's Braun at the position - but he's nothing special - and likely never will be. If I recall, most scouts thought he had the capacity to be average - usually praised his makeup and work ethic. I doubt moving around has helped him get better - Boston had him at 3B, 2B, 1B and OF at times. Focusing on one position should help him (if that's what we elect to do).

As for Cecchini's hitting - last year was a disaster, but he's had success at AA (in 2013). And even 2014 at AAA wasn't that bad (it wasn't that good either). I read that after the 2013 season, he tried to hit for more power and messed up his approach.

Here's something from the Boston Globe's site a few months ago:

Evaluators over the last two years saw a player who appeared pull-conscious in trying to force power rather than sticking to a high-average/doubles approach, resulting in a spike in his swings-and-misses and a lot of rollovers to second base that had been, in the past, liners to left field.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/10/red-sox-trade-garin-cecchini-brewers/PheeR8FTzQsqfqAZgYfEwN/story.html

I think he's a perfect buy low guy - just let him come in and have a fresh start. Tell him to get back what he does best and not worry about thing. I just hope we give him a real chance.

Cecchini had great numbers 3 years ago, but Mancini did it last year and his numbers got better after going from advanced A to AA while Cecchini's regressed after he was promoted to AA that year and regressed further the next two seasons. Cecchini's walk rate was incredibly good up until 2014 and 2015 when they were simply decent. But he's never had the power you need at corner IF spots.

Orioles would never trade for Khris Davis. It was be too confusing. Not worth the stress.

That is a joke right? Missed the blue font?

Would probably be a great marketing opportunity.

I think he was referencing back before the Brewers hired Roenicke and they said they didn't bring in Bob Melvin for fear that Melvin and Melvin would confuse people.

Orioles would never trade for Khris Davis. It was be too confusing. Not worth the stress.

That is a joke right? Missed the blue font?

Would probably be a great marketing opportunity.

I think he was referencing back before the Brewers hired Roenicke and they said they didn't bring in Bob Melvin for fear that Melvin and Melvin would confuse people.

More like a case where the manager puts in one Davis twice in the lineup instead of putting them both in.

Cecchini had great numbers 3 years ago, but Mancini did it last year and his numbers got better after going from advanced A to AA while Cecchini's regressed after he was promoted to AA that year and regressed further the next two seasons. Cecchini's walk rate was incredibly good up until 2014 and 2015 when they were simply decent. But he's never had the power you need at corner IF spots.

Lol at Cecchini not being able to hit. His numbers regressed after promoted to AA?? Yeah, he regressed to 296/420 with 825 OPS followed by 277/434 in AFL at age 22. That's not a negative. A negative would be Mancini's drop in production in 2014 from A to A+ (251/295 with 691 OPS) then he changed his mechanics. feel free to leave that part out though and cherry pick for comparison purposes. Cecchini had a pretty decent 2014 at age 23 in first full season at AAA and it continued into his MLB stint that year where his OPS was 100pts higher at 813 (Mancini was starting in A+ at that same age). He had an awful 2015 because his approach changed due to trying to add power. That will affect your walk rate too. Only 11 MLB 3b hit more than 18 HR last year and, if Cecchini can get back to his old approach he's very capable of 290/370, which would rank him top 1-2 in BA/OBP last year while finishing top 10 in doubles too (low-mid 30s). And you don't "need" power at 3b to be productive (i.e. Cirillo). Even with Cecchini's brutal 2015 season his career OBP is still 16pts higher than Mancini

Lol at Cecchini not being able to hit. His numbers regressed after promoted to AA?? Yeah, he regressed to 296/420 with 825 OPS followed by 277/434 in AFL at age 22. That's not a negative. A negative would be Mancini's drop in production in 2014 from A to A+ (251/295 with 691 OPS) then he changed his mechanics. feel free to leave that part out though and cherry pick for comparison purposes. Cecchini had a pretty decent 2014 at age 23 in first full season at AAA and it continued into his MLB stint that year where his OPS was 100pts higher at 813 (Mancini was starting in A+ at that same age). He had an awful 2015 because his approach changed due to trying to add power. That will affect your walk rate too. Only 11 MLB 3b hit more than 18 HR last year and, if Cecchini can get back to his old approach he's very capable of 290/370, which would rank him top 1-2 in BA/OBP last year while finishing top 10 in doubles too (low-mid 30s). And you don't "need" power at 3b to be productive (i.e. Cirillo). Even with Cecchini's brutal 2015 season his career OBP is still 16pts higher than Mancini

Thank You! Glad I am not allow on the high hopes for Cecchini and his advanced hitting & on base skills!

Lol at Cecchini not being able to hit.

Please steer clear of condescension. If someone says something that's intended to be funny, go ahead and LOL to your heart's content. But please don't LOL someone's opinion. The rest of the post is fine.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Zero reason to trade him right now if it's just to dump his salary. We have no need to shed it. Let's find some nice returns for Lucroy and Davis (with Smith/Peralta thrown in if needed) and see what all these young guys can do!

Agree. There is no need for the Brewers to trade anyone unless they get value in return, and saving money is not the value they need at this point. Braun is still a good player, but I can understand other teams' trepidation. Let him continue to play, hopefully helping the young guys along and giving fans a name they know on the roster, all the while re-building other teams' faith that his thumb and back aren't as big a concern as they may seem.

That said, there is a glut of OF, and if someone isn't traded we will probably need to cut some of the recent pickups. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but it seems that with all of the OF we're accumulating, Stearns must be leaning towards trading someone, and the most likely someone is Davis.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Just because he is picking up a bunch OFers for next to nothing means just that...nothing. It isn't like we invested anything into them. If someone doesn't do well in spring training you just cut them. If they do nicely and you don't have room for them you likely can trade them and recoup whatever you lost. To think picking up a guy who was DFAed signals the likely hood of someone being traded just doesn't add up.

Why wouldn't any team take Braun if the Crew threw off cash and they didn't have to give up prospects? That's a give away. Pass.

Braun took PEDs to help him with a hammy injury. It's a misnomer to say that he couldn't hit without them. That's laughable. He's got the full tool kit on hitting. He's the epitome of a professional hitter. Keep him under these circumstances. Legit prospects or keep him.

If I'm trading him, it's approaching a Tulowitzki deal or I'd keep him. He's a better value for us then. We are not under a salary crunch. He can mentor younger hitters as a veteran presence. It's nice to have a player lead beyond just hitting coaches and the manager.

Just because he is picking up a bunch OFers for next to nothing means just that...nothing. It isn't like we invested anything into them. If someone doesn't do well in spring training you just cut them. If they do nicely and you don't have room for them you likely can trade them and recoup whatever you lost. To think picking up a guy who was DFAed signals the likely hood of someone being traded just doesn't add up.

Throw in a that he's trying to accumulate young talent for future Brewer teams, and the scales start to tip more in favor of keeping the talented but unproven guys in their lower 20s while trading the proven older guys with less team control at a higher dollar value.

The guys Stearns is picking up are talented but "fallen" former top prospects. Sure you can just throw that away in order to hold onto Braun and Davis, but in the first year of a rebuild it could be smart to see if they can regain their luster, while getting a lot more talent in the system by trading one of Davis/Braun.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived