Brewer Fanatic

Lazaro Armenteros

Jenkins5

Lazarito" Armenteros is the 16 year old phenom out of Cuba who is already 6'2 205 with power & speed. He plays OF, 3B, & 1B. He is arguably the top talent this year, even above DR phenom SS Kevin Maitan. Younger by 2-3 years than Moncada, he could be then big Cuban prospect. He official can sign Feb 10th now & plans to do so as soon as possible. He will count against international signing slots money.

So far there is absolutely zero information about what teams are in play or how much money he will command. With nearly half the teams realistically out of the running, anyone else think this is the time for DS and the new regime to come out and make a statement about there direction. Braves have already landed Maitan....they are proving themselves and dedication to the future.

I think Brewers need to pony up. Abreu & Moncada they were in finalist list for, time to land one of these Cubans.

What are your thoughts? What you willing to pay?

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/cuban-lazarito-armenteros-free-agent-mlb.html

Good read for more information, bad news is because it's not July 2nd yet, all those teams like Reds, Dodgers, Giants, Royals, & etc are allowed to bid.

I would rather see us sign as many $750k-1.5M type guys as possible. If one of the elite guys like Lazarito can be had, sure, but I really would hesitate to overpay. Spread that investment around to mitigate the risk. I trust our scouts to get us bargains.

I think Brewers just need to make some splash or show some life and interest in international signings. Outside Gilbert Lara, we haven't done much at all. Pierre & Mallen were 800k & record signings a few years ago. Last year we got Sibrian who was ranked 30th or so. Ultimately, Brewers are non existent and fail to compete. That is a lot of talent to not compete for. You will find your Arcia's & Escobars for almost free here and there but you still have to go out and compete to get the best talent available. I really though Lara was the turning point for the Brewers, then they decided to almost completely sit out last season.

I think Brewers just need to make some splash or show some life and interest in international signings. Outside Gilbert Lara, we haven't done much at all. Pierre & Mallen were 800k & record signings a few years ago. Last year we got Sibrian who was ranked 30th or so. Ultimately, Brewers are non existent and fail to compete. That is a lot of talent to not compete for. You will find your Arcia's & Escobars for almost free here and there but you still have to go out and compete to get the best talent available. I really though Lara was the turning point for the Brewers, then they decided to almost completely sit out last season.

Who was the SS the Brewers signed 5 or 6 years ago that everyone was excited about and then dropped off the face of the earth or maybe he didn't? Maybe it was Arcia but I don't think so. I just remember it being a big deal and then never hearing about it again.

Andres Martinez was suppose to be pretty good but wasn't a bonus baby really. He never made it past Helena. His defense was very bad and he was moved off to 2B/3B I believe.

$750,000 given pitcher Rolando Pascual in 2005 was the highest they had ever paid prior to Mallen & Pierre.

Wily Peralta & Roque Mercedes were around 450k I believe. H. Arias and Jose Garcia were 250K. Not to many other bonus babies I can think of.

Part of the excitement with Martinez was he was signed RIGHT when we got back into DSL League. The 1st season we were with I believe the O's and he was one of the few Brewers who was a starter to follow (2009) Then the next season he was an anchor of our own DSL team (2010). Played in 2011 with Arizona, 2012 with Helena and has been out of baseball since. Looking at his numbers he was pretty terrible....not sure why I was so high on him.

Who was the SS the Brewers signed 5 or 6 years ago that everyone was excited about and then dropped off the face of the earth or maybe he didn't? Maybe it was Arcia but I don't think so. I just remember it being a big deal and then never hearing about it again.

Lara. He is still young, but promising.

Lara. He is still young, but promising.

Lara signed last year. I know who he is.

Presumably you are thinking of Andres Martinez but he was not nearly as high profile as Lara and I don't think he was really the "shortstop of the future," not sure who else it would be (Santo Aybar??) Most of the comparatively big signings in the past have been outfielders, like Jose Pena and Jose Garcia.

I went through all the transactions and rosters. Brewers have never has a big signing SS (Escobar & Arcia costed almost nothing, same as Otano) Andres Martinez received a larger bonus when the Brewers recommitted to DSL.

Wily Peralta

R. Mercedes

R. Pascual

Jose Garcia

Jose Pena

Hitaniel Arias

Those are arguably the biggest signings we have ever had prior to Mallen, Pierre, Lara, Sibrian. Literally, I do not think there was a signal SS bonus baby

Edit: Carlos Belonis could be it but has since been moved to OF

You're not thinking of old favorite Hernan "The Hurricane" Iribarren, are you? He was 2B not SS, but there was a lot of excitement about him for a brief moment in the mid-00s before his star quickly burned out (cups of coffee in '08-09 notwithstanding, though I'm sure most people posting on here remember Iribarren).

You're not thinking of old favorite Hernan "The Hurricane" Iribarren, are you? He was 2B not SS, but there was a lot of excitement about him for a brief moment in the mid-00s before his star quickly burned out (cups of coffee in '08-09 notwithstanding, though I'm sure most people posting on here remember Iribarren).

I remember the Hurricane days. I was surprised that his star burned out. He hit at every level, was a big obp guy, and solid 2b. What he did in his first season in 2004 was unbelievable. He really did take Arizona & Beloit by storm (Hurricane in particular)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=iribar001her

Source: Lazarito is now considering teams for this int'l signing period or the next & is expected to make a decision as early as 2/10

So 9 teams are interested in him.

My guess on the 9 teams that are interested:

1. Dodgers

2. Yankees

3. Cubs

4. A's

5. Reds

6. Brewers

7. D'backs

8. Rays

9. Nationals

Please be the Brewers. Would be a fun attempt at a big splash
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I heard today the Yankees and at least the Rays, D'Backs, and Reds were teams that couldn't bid on him because they overspent on international players last year, or the year before. Sorry, going for memory, but I know for a fact the Rays were one of the teams along with the D'Backs and Reds that aren't able to offer a deal.

Here's the thing. He chooses to sign this period Brewers are tapped for 2015. And penalized 2016/17. Their interest would have to be on 2016 signing deal with others. Otherwise signing him today looks very dumb because they wasted making any significant signs this past July. I'd expect the Dodgers to just throw 10-20million on him if the bidding is that high. They'll be limited the next 2years so sign it big now.

Archived