Brewer Fanatic

Capuano signs Minor League Deal with Brewers - The One True Ace is back!

Baldkin

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/brewers-chris-capuano-signs-minor-league-contract-with-brewers-on-monday/

Not overly surprised, sounds like minor league depth and a good guy to have around. Crafty lefty!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I had no idea Capuano was still around.

A little research reveals that he actually appeared in the big leagues in 2015 but posted an unsightly 7.97 ERA and 1.82 whip in 40.2 innings with the Yankees.

After posting those kinds of numbers, one would assume he wouldn't still be around but leave it to Brewers to consider resurrecting him. Who's next, Suppan?

One of my all-time favorites!

He made two fans for life after spending a lengthy time talking with my young son and I down the left field line during batting practice when we watched the Crew in St. Louis many years ago. Came across as intelligent and genuinely sincere. Know his making the team is a long shot, but know he will have at least two people rooting for him.

(Oops - my kid tells me it was the St. Louis trip/ not Atlanta)

I will be pulling for him. Guessing if he does make the team it is as a long reliever/ spot starter/ 2nd lefty out of the pen. and I can't complain if they decide to keep someone like a Ariel Pena or Zack Jones over him but I will be pulling for him

A little research reveals that he actually appeared in the big leagues in 2015 but posted an unsightly 7.97 ERA and 1.82 whip in 40.2 innings with the Yankees.

After posting those kinds of numbers, one would assume he wouldn't still be around but leave it to Brewers to consider resurrecting him. Who's next, Suppan?

I am literally in favor of signing absolutely anyone on a minor league deal. No risk move for the club and the chance (albeit small) of catching lightning in a bottle with minimal risk and possible benefit of mentoring.

The tanking continues. If you are planning on losing 100++ at least give the fans a good guy to cheer for.

We all love this guy but nothing says rebuilding like signing a 37 year old coming off an 8 era season.

With the first pick in the 2017 draft, the Brewers select....

Really? You want to resurrect every other name guy, why not Capuano?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Don't you get it? We should pay guys like Lohse, Garza and Wolf 8 figures to be our 6 or 7 ERA guys. It would show that we're trying.

Who are you referring to? I don't recall every advocating resurrecting pitchers in their late 30's coming off a season where they posted a WHiP over 1.8. Capuano's 2015 season make Garza's numbers look good by comparison and I want the Brewers to eat Garza's contract.

I've advocated taking fliers on guys like Alfredo Simon who's only a year removed from being an All Star and who had 8 starts last year where he gave up one run or less. By the way, I don't consider Capuano to be a "name guy". He's a decade removed from being anything more than a 5th starter.

It's a minor league deal and he's very likely not making the team and would probably be like the 5th call up for injuries. Why even get upset about it?

Simon is also terrible, besides one fluke year in Cincinnati and is also a giant piece of crap.

The tanking continues. If you are planning on losing 100++ at least give the fans a good guy to cheer for.

We all love this guy but nothing says rebuilding like signing a 37 year old coming off an 8 era season.

With the first pick in the 2017 draft, the Brewers select....

lol is really all I can say.....

I just love how people can overreact to minor league deals. Chances are he doesn't make the team, if he does, maybe he can be a LOOGY. We lose absolutely nothing taking a flyer on someone like Cappy.

Really with a lineup of:

1B Carter

2B Gennett

SS Segura

3B Cecchini or Westbrook

C Lucroy

LF Davis

CF Broxton/ Nieuwenhuis/ Santana/ maybe Austin Jackson

RF Braun

With rotation of

Nelson

Peralta

Garza

Jungmann

Davies/ Lopez/ Hader

Smith/ Jeffress/ Knuebel in the backend of the pen

What are people crying so much about? That isn't a 100 lose team. We haven't traded anyone else and there is no certainty we will. We have 3 teams in the division who may win 100 games this season. At least 97 or 98 wins. What you want this team to do?

We haven't even started to tank yet. KRod, Sardinas, and Lind who was only retained to trade does not make us tank. All this tanking non sense is so blown out of proportion. Complain when we actually trade of pieces that matter such as Lucroy, Davis, Peralta, Sergura, Gennett, Braun, Nelson, Smith, Jeffress.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Not excited at all. I am not seeing the point of signing a minor league contract for a 37 yr old with no free agent value. Having gone through multiple rehab stints, DFA'd four times last year, he is basically at the end of his career with the stats he showed last year. We must be pretty desperate to cling onto any lefty who has a pulse. It seems like the "nothing to lose" excuse, which applies to every player alive, rears its head again with this decision. I'd rather put my spare change somewhere else, even with a minor league deal.

Not excited at all. I am not seeing the point of signing a minor league contract for a 37 yr old with no free agent value. Having gone through multiple rehab stints, DFA'd four times last year, he is basically at the end of his career with the stats he showed last year. We must be pretty desperate to cling onto any lefty who has a pulse. It seems like the "nothing to lose" excuse, which applies to every player alive, rears its head again with this decision. I'd rather put my spare change somewhere else, even with a minor league deal.

The only reason this is newsworthy is because Capuano was a quality pitcher for us years ago. We signed Cesar Jimenez too and it barely got any attention. If Capuano's name was Steve Harris and he never played for the Brewers, it would've gotten as much attention as Jimenez signing.

The only reason this is a "news story" is because he's a former Brewer. It doesn't mean he's going to play for the Brewers. It just means that he wants to keep playing and we probably needed someone to fill out the roster in Colorado Springs.

Community Moderator
Actually thought it said "minor league coach" when I first saw the news. Surprised to hear he's still playing. I guess it'll be entertaining if he makes it to the big leagues, but I can't imagine he will contribute anything of value. Loved Cappy in 2005 though.

Good memories, but basically I think this comes down to the fact that they've got one lefty on the 40 man. It makes sense to bring in a couple of NRI guys, especially given that there's a chance someone makes them an offer too good to pass up on Smith. Jimenez is probably the more likely one to make the team, but who knows.

Archived