Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Trade Value Top Ten

With speculation that the Brewers have a number of players that could be traded either before the season or by the trade deadline (including some recent discussion about the possibility of moving Ryan Braun), I wondered how others on this forum would rank the players on the Brewers 40-man roster in terms of overall trade value?

The point of this exercise isn't to name the players you most want to see traded or think are most likely to be traded, and it's not even who you believe the best players are, but rather list the players you think are most likely to bring a significant return if traded to another team. Basically at this point in time which Brewers players are the most valuable trade commodities?

To participate is easy, just list in order from 1-10 (with #1 being the most valuable) players from the Brewers 40-man roster that you believe would be the team's most valuable trade chips if they were dealt. Since financial commitment and number of controllable years are certainly pertinent, here is a link to the Brewers 40-Man Roster Payroll Obligations.

I will leave this open for voting through next Sunday (Jan. 31), and then combine the votes (#1=10 pts, #2=9 pts, #3=8 pts, etc.) to come up with the BF.net cumulative results.

Discussion is certainly welcome as well since I am sure we will have some differing opinions on this subject. I personally found this exercise more difficult to complete than I thought it would be, especially in determining the trade value of decent, but not spectacular young contorollable starting pitching. One thing to keep in mind is try to stick to what you think the trade value of a player is currently, instead of projecting what a player could be worth in six month or a year into the future. Also, one last reminder the pool of players consists of only those players on the Brewers 40-Man Roster currently. I could talk myself into jockeying guys around all day (and I am sure will change my mind after hearing others feedback), but I am very curious to see what others on the board think?

My current vote for Brewers Trade Value Top Ten is:

1) Jonathan Lucroy

2) Orlando Arcia

3) Will Smith

4) Jimmy Nelson

5) Wily Peralta

6) Khris Davis

7) Ryan Braun

8) Taylor Jungmann

9) Jorge Lopez

10) Jean Segura

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Jonathan Lucroy

2) Will Smith

3) Jimmy Nelson

4) Khris Davis

5) Jeremy Jeffress

6) Wily Peralta

7) Ryan Braun

8) Taylor Jungmann

9) Zach Davies

10) Scooter Gennett

Yes I left off all the prospect type guys...sorry.

Regarding my list I have heard Will Smith could have a lot of value. More than a lot of people realize. A big drop after #5...after that they are only worth marginal prospects at most. I thought about dropping Ryan Braun entirely off this list. It sounds like with his entire contract he is pretty much unreadable. Though I like to think he may be worth something the the right team.

1) Jimmy Nelson

2) Orlando Arcia

3) Will Smith

4) Jonathon Lucroy

5) Ryan Braun

6) Taylor Jungmann

7) Khris Davis

8) Wily Peralta

9) Jorge Lopez

10) Zach Daives

11) Jeremy Jeffress

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thanks to those participating so far!

One note, the reason I did not include Maverick Phillips is because he is not on the 40-man roster. I went back and forth on it, but I figured going beyond the current 40-man roster would muddy the waters a little. Feel free to insert non-40 man roster prospects, but keep in mind for the final tally I am only planning to list rankings of players that are on the 40-man.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Whoops. I didn't realize he wasn't on the 40 man. I'll edit mine.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

1) Orlando Arcia

2) Jonathan Lucroy

3) Khris Davis

4) Jimmy Nelson

5) Will Smith

6) Jorge Lopez

7) Ryan Braun

8) Taylor Jungmann

9) Domingo Santana

10) Jean Segura

Kind of difficult to do the rankings, but I just based on what I could see the Brewers getting in a 1-for-1 trade. I think Arcia would only be traded for a top-15, top-20 prospect, and I don't see us getting one of those for Lucroy at this point. Lopez might be a bit high, but again if you think of him as a top-50 prospect, would we get a better return for any of the players below him? Segura has to be on this list because even though he stinks, he's a major-league-quality shortstop and those have inherent value. Braun is ranked based on us not taking on any of his contract.

I would say the trade value of Lucroy vs Arcia is similar to the trade value of Carlos Gomez vs Carlos Correa

i.e. light years apart

Right, in both, listen to offers on. For Arcia/Correa, you're asking for the team's top 5 players in return at minimum.

Note - the only minor leaguer I feel confident enough on where to place is Arcia, so asterick my results as not giving Phillips, et al enough credit.

1. Lucroy

2. Arcia

3. Nelson

4. Braun

5. Davis

6. Smith

7. Peralta

8. Davies

9. Jungmann

10. Santana

1) Lucroy

2) Arcia

3) Nelson

4) Lopez

5) Smith

6) Jeffress

7) Davis

8) Davies

9) Knebal

10) Santana

There is kind of a risk, reward to trade values. I don't expect the prospect we could get back for Lucroy to include a prospect as highly valued as Arcia, but I expect the summation of the package to be superior than what we could get for trading just Arcia.

I'm just surprised Lucroy is atop everyones list. While his trade value is high, he's still a catcher that is up there in age.

The team is in a rebuild. Prospects sorry aren't of value to trade away. Not your key ones like Arcia/Phillips. You're hanging on to them.

1. Lucroy-plain and simple

2. Nelson-5years of control and he's proving easily to be an innings eating #3 at worst.

3. Braun-Telling you he's of value and I'm putting him at 5/77mil on what's a cheap contract for his bat

4. Will Smith-Lefty Lights out slider

5. Khris Davis-HRs, Hrs, hrs get your HRs for sale

6. Corey Kneble/Jeremy Jeffress. Between the two the winner who closes and that experience will create the high trade value

7. Zach Davies-Perfect looking type of #4/5 SP you would like to have over a season.

8. Wily Peralta- I wonder if some Pitching coach out there who looks at tape and just sees a fix to get him to be the #2/3 you want him to be.

9. Matt Garza-if/when he pitches to career norms.

10. Jean Segura-when you have to replace an injured SS and don't want a Yuni type Defense.

The team is in a rebuild. Prospects sorry aren't of value to trade away. Not your key ones like Arcia/Phillips. You're hanging on to them.

2. Nelson-5years of control and he's proving easily to be an innings eating #3 at worst.

3. Braun-Telling you he's of value and I'm putting him at 5/77mil on what's a cheap contract for his bat

6. Corey Kneble/Jeremy Jeffress. Between the two the winner who closes and that experience will create the high trade value

7. Zach Davies-Perfect looking type of #4/5 SP you would like to have over a season.

8. Wily Peralta- I wonder if some Pitching coach out there who looks at tape and just sees a fix to get him to be the #2/3 you want him to be.

10. Jean Segura-when you have to replace an injured SS and don't want a Yuni type Defense.

This thread isn't ranking only the Brewers you'd actually consider trading but who'd have the highest value if you did. Prospects have lots of value.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm just surprised Lucroy is atop everyones list. While his trade value is high, he's still a catcher that is up there in age.

I had a hard time between Luc and Arcia. I basically said, what could I get if I traded each guy. For Arcia, it's pretty easy - he's a Top 20 prospect so that's what I could get back for him.

For Luc, I think we could get a Top 20 guy as well (or an equivalent package), plus a little more. Again, it might not be a Top 20 guy, but it could be a couple of Top 100 guys plus some other assets. In the end, I just think Lucroy can bring a little more than Orlando.

Maybe I'm overvaluing Luc, but we'll see what happens in the long run.

If Braun had good value I am pretty sure he would be long gone. It has been reported on a few occasions the Brewers would LOVE to get rid of Braun. Seems like the value isn't there if teams aren't knocking down the door.

Also I am pretty confident Lucroy has more value than Arcia. We may not ever get what Lucroy is worth, but strictly looking at his value I think he is worth close to Arcia plus some more.

This thread isn't ranking only the Brewers you'd actually consider trading but who'd have the highest value if you did. Prospects have lots of value.

But this isn't 2011 where a Zach Grienke trade is on the horizon and our prospects our getting traded.

Why list any prospects when Arcia will not be traded in the next 6years minimum. Non-Trade means 0 value. I don't need to pretend there's a rebuild in place on the prospects already leading the way on this new rebuild....

Arcia is by far the best prospect this team has had since Braun. To give him Trade value? Let's start a topic that has a 10times more likely event of happening. Will Arcia play 11-14years as a career Brewer? Because to me he's the Brewers Franchise player starting this year and is to be compared as this franchise's Derek Jeter, who only played for 1team.

You want to trade him. Lucas Giolito or Julio Urias. No other trade needs to be imagined. So now what's Giolito's or Urias' trade value, we got them let's trade them away? That's how I feel by listing Arcia. He won't be available in trade. Phillips too honestly.

You're trying to acquire the best future talents. Not trying to acquire a Jake Arrieta or Jake Degrom. Where you'd have to send Arcia and Phillips to get one of them. How desolate is the franchise's future after that?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It has been reported on a few occasions the Brewers would LOVE to get rid of Braun.

When???

Haudricourt said this recently:

Truth be told, the Brewers would not hesitate to move Braun and his five-year, $105 million contract extension that kicks in next year if a sensible offer surfaced. The baggage accumulated in recent years with his PED scandal and health issues, as well as significant no-trade protection in his contract, make a trade unlikely at this point, however.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/what-the-brewers-starting-lineup-would-look-like-if-opening-day-were-tomorrow-b99647430z1-364593341.html

There have been some other things - mostly tweets from various sportswriters about the fact that there's not a lot of interest in Braun at this time.

It should be noted that Haudricourt's article caused other sources to basically report the same thing - that the team would move him if they could.

Archived