Brewer Fanatic

Brewers still interested in Alvarez and Jackson?

Heyman mentioned Brewers still among possible landing spots for Pedro Alvarez (I would assume to play 3B) and it was reported earlier in the week that they were among the teams showing interest in Austin Jackson.

If they are, and Stearns lands those two, I'll be the first to reverse field and give Stearns a big pat on the back. That would make the Brewers a lot more interesting team to watch in 2016 and give them some viable trade chips. Imagine a lineup with 4 hitters with 30 HR potential with Davis, Braun, Carter and Alvarez and a bona fide major league CF? Harvey's Wallbangers reincarnated! Counsell's Crushers?? Infield defense would take a hit but Bernie would get to slide a lot.

Alvarez just isn't a fit here now with the signing of Carter. He's as bad as Braun at third base, and he'll be too expensive to be a platoon player; he's even a butcher at first base. He's really just a DH.

Jackson I guess could be fine as a someone to be flipped later on.

You will probably be the only person to reverse and pat him on the back. Everyone else was already good with his moves.

Personally I don't care for either signing. Let some young guys play CF and 3B. Both have pretty low upside as mid season trade guys.

I'm in. I'm really excited to see the Brewers build up the farm system and watch the kids develop, but I wouldn't mind having some interesting veterans filling holes on the major league club in the meantime and from a pure entertainment standpoint, I've always enjoyed watching guys that can blast the ball, regardless of strikeouts and defense. It's a nice sell to the casual fans and gives us another guy who could potentially have a big first half and get flipped for more pieces at the deadline. Additionally, between Carter and Alvarez, we've got bats to fill in the DH during interleague play (and potentially fulltime in a year or two).

Maybe he is trying to sign some vets to keep Lucroy happy.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I never thought Carter was a Stearns guy so maybe he still has interest in Alvarez who's just a left handed hitting Carter. It would be dumb to have both on the roster since they can only play one position, and barely at that. Although that could be one heck of a platoon.

I was pushing for Jackson during the regular season. At this point he's only getting a one year deal where ever he goes. I think his floor is pretty much the ceiling for Broxton, Young, or Neuwenheis. I'd still take a chance on Austin for a year.

If a GM is signing two players like this to make one player happy then that GM should be fired immediately. Broxton is an intriguing prospect who could turn into a viable trading chip or quality 4th OF. Middlebrooks/Villar at 3b is fine for this year. I can't see why Stearns would sign all these guys + Kirk, EY when Alvarez and Jackson were options at that time. I could see this making sense if he has potential trades lined up (i.e. Segura or Scooter so Villar shifts to a full time spot leaving just Middlebrooks/Perez then). That way Alvarez could work in at 3b and backup at 1b while DH in interleague games. Jackson I just don't see the point of it given you'd bury Broxton on the bench since there's already plenty of talent in OF at AAA plus if someone is traded (i.e. Davis) that would open a spot for Santana, who currently doesn't have one. A lot of things would need to happen for these to even make sense. I'm partial to letting the young guys play as neither of these signings would return a Davies type from Parra trade

Alvarez is not even remotely an option to play 3B. Carter, Gennett, Segura, and Alvarez has our infield would not even be watchable. Easily one of the worst defensive infields in all of baseball. What good is a guy who is going to hit .210 & have more errors than HRs.

I could deal with awful 1B defense & bad approach at plate for his HRs but not acceptable at 3B. Middlebrook, Cecchini, Villar, Perez all offer more in my opinion since they all can at least field the position.

We can sign Alvarez but all your doing is slowing down the rebuilding process just to watch a few more HRs....

Jackson has not been good in 2 years so he is a bounce back & flip guy. I don't mind if we get him but Alvarez makes zero sense since we got Carter

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

It is entirely possible than Ryan Braun is a better defensive 3B than Pedro Alvarez

It could be argued Braun could be considered gold glove candidate at 3B compared to Alvarez.... At least Braun had range. Pedro is a just a blob who stands there unable to field, move, or throw.... But hey zero defense, no ability to hit for acceptable average, or really offer this team anything besides Homeruns but hey let's pay him to block people who actually deserve a chance during our rebuild

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd pass on Alvarez. Carter is at 1B, and I'd rather see Cechinni given a shot at the hot corner (or Perez or whomever).

Jackson I could see. You hope he rebounds, then you flip him mid-season and call up Phillips.

But signing guys in order to flip them isn't a sure strategy. An injury or declining play can ruin the entire plan, and you're stuck with a $10M black hole - money that may have gone elsewhere (international signings, infrastructure, etc.). I'm not saying you don't do it - just that it's a strategy with risks.

With Jackson, i would try to determine why he has not been the same batter as he was as his rookie year. ..Take a look at that rookie season in 2012...just sick numbers put up in a pitchers park...was he battling some personal demons or just mechanics? I think he is worth a look on a 1 year as he looks to rebuild his value....I am not voting for Pedro to be a member of the 2016 Brewers club

With Jackson, i would try to determine why he has not been the same batter as he was as his rookie year. ..Take a look at that rookie season in 2012...just sick numbers put up in a pitchers park...was he battling some personal demons or just mechanics? I think he is worth a look on a 1 year as he looks to rebuild his value....I am not voting for Pedro to be a member of the 2016 Brewers club

The answer would partly be the reason of Segura's decent beginning. Ground balls for a extreme High BABIP

Archived