Brewer Fanatic

Braun to Houston?

I THINK Braun will finish out his deal with the Crew.

He is the one guy on this team who I do hope doesn't get traded off. For the mere fact that is so rare that a star player comes around to a small market team and actually wants to play out his whole career out with that team. I don't care about the PEDs or that he lied. We need vet leaders as these guys come up, he is already difficult to trade, and he still has potential to put up really good numbers.

My issue is that we are in the NL and unless all this NL Designated Hitter talk actually becomes reality, It is going to be hard to keep Braun around in OF. Brewers have shown no interest in moving him to 1st base. Image if we get Mazara or Brinson for Lucroy...Now you have Phillips, Santana, and Brinson/Mazara....with Reed, Taylor, Roache, Coulter, Clark, Harrison, Demi O, and etc still coming.

I'm pulling for a DH in NL but that is a whole giant topic on its own. but util that day happens, hard to see Braun lasting his entire contract

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Veteran leaders and loyalty are nice, but they don't have to cost $100 million over 5 years.

That said, I agree with most of the rest.

If somebody offers me a prospect or two and it only costs the Brewers 1 year of Braun's contract sent back or something, I pull the trigger.

If somebody just says "we'll take him and pay his contract" I think about it.

As I stated in the other thread, 2016, 2017, and probably 2018 money don't matter to me.

I'd probably just rather have the money freed going into 2018 or 2019 to overpay somebody else or to dump into rookie/arb buyout contracts, but you could have worse contracts. 2018 is probably the year where we get back towards a .500 record but aren't serious contenders yet. So now you're saying that you've signed a 35 year old guy to a 2-year, $36 million deal (with some of that deferred) after 2018 when it starts to matter again. That's not so bad. That might even be a slightly movable deal if he's still hitting fairly well but not well enough to break out of our logjam in the OF. We'll probably also have a DH spot by then.

Ryan Braun's biggest concern is his health. Of the last 5 years he was only healthy in one of them(2012). He has now put together quite a lengthy injury history and has two long term concerns(back/thumb). His contract is pretty steep considering the injury concern and his age on the wrong side of 30. Honestly I think he would need a highly productive first half and no bad injuries(back/thumb specifically) to really bring back up his value. Possibly even a full year and I doubt he can do that at this point.

*Please note I am considering 2011 a non healthy season because he admitted to taking PEDs for injuries. So in my mind he cheated to stay on the field. His words not mine*

Braun's contract while yet is 5/95mil isn't 5/95 counted in next 5 years. It's 5/77mil with 18mil deferred over 9 seasons or 2mil in 2022-2031.

So let's assume the 5/77 contract with Milwaukee probably covering that 18mil deferred. Based on what these FA OFs are getting it's like getting Braun on his 3rd year of current arb(being a Super 2) for the next 5years. He's not even making the QO number that Gallardo just turned down on avg.

Do I want him traded away this year? No honestly. His value stands to grow a lot more after this year if he plays up to the same kind of numbers he posted this year. And he started TERRIBLE! You get his contract down to 4/62mil after another 25/25 type season? And let's say the DH becomes a reality for 2017 in the NL. He's going to be worth a whole lot more for his productive bat.

Braun was a top 5 OPS in the NL last season. (I don't count Carlos Gonzalez because well, playing in CO is a joke(.758 away games))

He played 140 games last season but again couldn't finish the year. Had he completed the season, I could've seen a huge market for him. Our best decision would be to keep him and hope he can somehow get on a healthy track. I'm glad he took PED's now because he never would've made it this far without them, health wise.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think Braun is highly undervalued on this board. His contract is not an albatross to the franchise. He's paid at value according to today's market. He's still a top-flight offensive weapon.

I don't undervalue his talent at all, he has proven he is capable of being an elite offensive force. I also don't have illusions that a player in his 30's with a history of hand and back problems which have proven debilitating at times is going to be highly sought after by other teams.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This doesn't have anything to do with Houston, so I apologize for that, but Cespedes just resigned with the Mets after having the Nationals be in on him, hard. At this point I wonder if the Nationals aren't going to be a little "on tilt" after losing the division to the Mets last year and now Cespedes to them, and would maybe overpay to acquire Braun in a trade. If I was Stearns I would be calling them today and gauge any interest.

This doesn't have anything to do with Houston, so I apologize for that, but Cespedes just resigned with the Mets after having the Nationals be in on him, hard. At this point I wonder if the Nationals aren't going to be a little "on tilt" after losing the division to the Mets last year and now Cespedes to them, and would maybe overpay to acquire Braun in a trade. If I was Stearns I would be calling them today and gauge any interest.

I was actually thinking about Braun and Lucroy to Washington. If you're the Nationals and you just blew the division and have Strasburg and Harper for only a couple more seasons you need to go big or go home.

I don't know Braun would fit in Washington, but Lucroy would and they have a bunch of catching prospect.

Lucroy to Washington and Braun to Houston and our team would be in full beast mode as far as the rebuild.

The Nats think they need an OF. They tried to sign Heyward and Cespedes (maybe Upton too, can't remember).

Archived