Brewer Fanatic

Braun to Houston?

Alex Bregman and AJ Reed, maybe a lower prospect with high upside and we have ourselves a deal.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just saw on an Astros forum I'm on that based on a source inside the Astros, Braun is being discussed with money going to Houston. What do you think? What would you be looking for in prospects?

Does the "forum" happen to be named Ground Control?

I have never seriously considered Braun wearing any other uniform than a Brewers one, so from standpoint it would be quite a surprise.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Just saw on an Astros forum I'm on that based on a source inside the Astros, Braun is being discussed with money going to Houston. What do you think? What would you be looking for in prospects?

Does the "forum" happen to be named Ground Control?

I have never seriously considered Braun wearing any other uniform than a Brewers one, so from standpoint it would be quite a surprise.

Clutchfans.net

I don't want to be the party pooper here, but outside of including other Brewers players I can't fathom a scenario where Braun and some money (even a significant amount) would bring back A.J. Reed? Hope I am wrong because that would be amazing.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't want to be the party pooper here, but outside of including other Brewers players I can't fathom a scenario where Braun and some money (even a significant amount) would bring back A.J. Reed? Hope I am wrong because that would be amazing.

Yeah, I'm skeptical Braun brings a major prospect back, especially if we don't include a ton of money.

Looking at Houston's corner of/dh situation, it's hard to see where Braun fits so I'm skeptical too especially of a return of a prime prospect. Houston might not want to pay Colby Rasmus $15.8 million (obviously he's not a $16 million per year player and they may have extended the QO figuring he wouldn't take it) and would see Braun as a significant upgrade and a better value. The question would be what if anything beyond Rasmus they'd give up or will Brewers just look at an opportunity to get out from under Braun's deal and take a year of Rasmus as the return.

I think Braun is highly undervalued on this board. His contract is not an albatross to the franchise. He's paid at value according to today's market. He's still a top-flight offensive weapon.

Im not a fan of him the man, but I have come around to his contract not being as devastating as it once seemed compared to the market.

Braun is definitely tradeable. Id like to see Stearns pull off a trade like Melvin did with Houston in July before I get too excited with projecting the return. So far, he looks like a GM that can cut salary with the best of them, but his returns have been really bad so far.

Rasmus coming back wouldn't be the worst thing in the world here. While I'd like to see Broxton get a lot of playing time this year, I think we all know that Maverick P. is our long term future in CF. Braun for Rasmus + a prospect or two fills the immediate need of getting someone who can play CF, plus opens up a corner for Santana.

I'll believe it when I see it. Braun is still a really good player with probably what could be considered an OK contract. Certainly not an albatross. Stearns isn't just going to trade a guy like that for salary relief. Especially since the payroll is already incredibly low; no real urgency to cut costs I would imagine.

If I am trading Braun you definitely need some good pieces back. If they need to throw in some money fine; but 850-900 OPS / 130 OPS + guys with reasonable contracts don't grow on trees.

Braun won't be moved until Trade deadline once he proves he can stay healthy a produce at a Braun level. With the surgery on back and hand problems that still outweighs his good season last year. If comes out hot at an All-Star level and stays healthy, his value will return and he will be a hot name come deadline. His contract at the time he signed it and compared to current market is a bargain if he gets back to the player he was. I'm not a PEDs made Braun the player he was believer. His fall I think is more of a result of his hand and other injuries. If healthy He will be back to a .300 hitter, .400 OBP, .900 OPS guy with 30 HRs

I do find it funny that I read a (think bleacher report) artictle about trading Braun where they referred to him as a OF/3B and mention how his position flexibility may help his value...I laughed for a good 5 minutes

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I'll believe it when I see it. Braun is still a really good player with probably what could be considered an OK contract. Certainly not an albatross. Stearns isn't just going to trade a guy like that for salary relief. Especially since the payroll is already incredibly low; no real urgency to cut costs I would imagine.

If I am trading Braun you definitely need some good pieces back. If they need to throw in some money fine; but 850-900 OPS / 130 OPS + guys with reasonable contracts don't grow on trees.

You wouldn't be trading Braun for salary relief. You would be trading him to free up a spot for Santana and to get prospects back. In fact, sounds like the Brewers would chip in money (not salary relief) on Braun's contract to get that much better a prospect(s) for him.

I do find it funny that I read a (think bleacher report) artictle about trading Braun where they referred to him as a OF/3B and mention how his position flexibility may help his value...I laughed for a good 5 minutes

By chance was this article written by Clancy?

Braun won't be moved until Trade deadline once he proves he can stay healthy a produce at a Braun level. With the surgery on back and hand problems that still outweighs his good season last year. If comes out hot at an All-Star level and stays healthy, his value will return and he will be a hot name come deadline. His contract at the time he signed it and compared to current market is a bargain if he gets back to the player he was.

This is what I think.

- Teams are probably still wary of Ryan's health. He played 140 games last year - pinch hit in 8 of those. That means he didn't start roughly 1/5 of the games. Teams are going to be wary. And the issue with Braun's hand is not something there is much history about (unlike something like Tommy John surgery). Teams could simply be afraid of the long term ramifications of the injury. The treatment is so new, there's just not a track record to convey a full understanding of the risks. Add in the following:

- He's owed $95M - not outrageous, but not a small amount either. Teams willing to spend that kind of money may have been more interested in players such as Upton, Gordon and Cespedes - guys who only cost money (and in some cases, a draft pick). They don't have to give up good prospects - something many teams are loathe to do.

- Braun is 32. Some teams are skittish about having a player in what is often a 'decline' phase of his career. This is so tough to judge. What makes Joe Mauer turn into a 1.5-2.0 WAR guy at age 31, while other guys, such as Matt Holiday, are producing a WAR of 3.0+ at age 35?

- He's not a good defensive player. He's adequate in LF, and would be a fine DH. It may limit his appeal.

- The whole PED thing may scare some teams. People argue that teams don't care about PEDs by pointing out contracts handed out guys like Nelson Cruz, Melky Cabrera and Johnny Peralta. Those are legit points, but it doesn't mean every team is okay with making those deals.

- Braun has been listed as one of the most hated people in baseball. He lied to the media, to his team, his teammates and the public. You can call out numerous guys for getting busted for PEDs, but few of them publically smeared another person to cover it up, or orchestrated a long charade of denial. People (including players, coaches, staff and fans) don't always forget this kind of behavior, and while some may not care, others might.

No single thing is probably the deciding factor in a team wanting to trade for Braun or not trade for him. But taken as a whole, it may make clubs nervous about adding him - especially if the Brewers expect some significant assets in return. Thus, to entice a club into making the deal, the Brewers may need to lower the return and/or pay some of salary (the other items, such as his defense and PED history, the team can't control). But at that point you're giving away a good player for cheap - so you may as well keep him. His bat should still be a positive on the team, and perhaps down the road he can show last season's health wasn't a fluke - thus making him more attractive in a trade.

Again, I'm skeptical team would really take Braun without a significant concession on our part. There's no one single reason for that, but a laundry list of concerns.

It doesn't mean a good deal can't be reached at this time. It just takes one team to set aside all the concerns raised. We'd be foolish not to investigate a deal. I just think it's unlikely at this time.

Archived