Brewer Fanatic

Will MLB Elect to have the NL Adopt DH for 2017 Season?

Bombers
I don't like the talk about limiting LOOGY/ROOGY role either for the same reason. I don't care how long a game takes, baseball has never been a game on the clock. .

Thank you. Exactly!!!!

Most attempts to appeal to the casual fan just dumbs it down. MLB is making more money than ever, by a long long shot

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was listening to MLB radio and one of the hosts mentioned he wanted to do away with the DH all together and just bat your best 9 hitters and use your best 9 defenders in the field....would make managing the 25 man roster much more difficult. Interesting take though.

Was listening to MLB radio and one of the hosts mentioned he wanted to do away with the DH all together and just bat your best 9 hitters and use your best 9 defenders in the field....would make managing the 25 man roster much more difficult. Interesting take though.

That is a very interesting idea, but I feel like that would take away too much from late game strategy...for instance, taking out a Khris Davis and putting in a Carlos Gomez type fielder in the 9th inning.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm guessing Baseball would want some concessions for implementing the DH, replacing a bullpen arm with a higher paying DH spot, yes yes from the union.

Maybe the owners get smart and get rid of the Super 2 rule and for god sakes implement an international draft, a lot of people have to be pissed about those players getting millions and millions of dollars and US amateur draft are capped at much lower numbers.

With the DH, it makes it much easier to carry extra and often cheaper bullpen arms up to 8 or 9, which is where the game is going anyway. It saves starters, who are making the big money and can extend careers on those guys who are signed to long term deals and making those back end years less painful. The less "dead money" on a team's books the more it can spend on productive players.

No thanks. I must be getting old, but that's not baseball to me. Every player has their strengths and weaknesses, I hate the idea that you eliminate their weaknesses that way. Plus, like the other changes mentioned above, it eliminates strategy which makes baseball special.

No thanks. I must be getting old, but that's not baseball to me. Every player has their strengths and weaknesses, I hate the idea that you eliminate their weaknesses that way. Plus, like the other changes mentioned above, it eliminates strategy which makes baseball special.

Yeah. I'd rather go the opposite route and rotate positions every inning so that everybody has to pitch and everybody has to catch. It's a sport--all around athleticism should be rewarded.

(I don't actually want to do what I suggested, but it's better than the offense/defense suggestion)

I'd like to know soon, as it impacts whether or not I consider trading Davis. He could develop into a premier DH and occasional LF, thus increasing his trade value. Right now, there are a handful of AL teams that would really desire him, but few NL teams despite his gaudy power numbers. With a DH, his value blows through the roof

That is easily the worst idea someone has ever come up with. That guy should be banned from anything baseball related. How could someone who likes baseball ever think of such garbage.

In all honesty I would much rather see both leagues be like the NL. Obviously that will never happen. For one, the union would never allow it. In my mind, DH for the most part just enables stiffs who can't play defense to be able to still be major leaguers. Granted, Molitor almost certainly wouldn't have had nearly the career he did without it (but at least he COULD play the field well, he just was so injury prone doing so.)

In any case, I will be very disappointed if and when they implement a DH in the NL. I'd bet that even a good portion of the fans calling for NL DH might one day find themselves wishing back to the good old days.

I just don't get why anyone would want to keep pitchers hitting? Nothing adds up in the scenario. Pitchers average about a .300 OPS across the league. That's horrendous. It's an instant out. What purpose does that serve?

Because not all of us are about offense offense and more offense. Letting pitchers hits adds something to the game. Strategizing around the pitchers spot is interesting.

In the long run it is better for the game. No more rallies killed by the #9 guy etc. However there are aspects I will miss about pitchers hitting.

It's not that I want to see some big slugger up there just someone other than what pitchers are. They are horrible. It is and always has been a lousy rule in baseball. Pitchers have always sucked at hitting.

The main reason why pitchers suck at hitting is they never do as they come up thru the ranks. Hell, even pitchers in a NL farm system don't start to hit regularly until AA so it is any wonder they stink at the plate?

It's not that I want to see some big slugger up there just someone other than what pitchers are. They are horrible. It is and always has been a lousy rule in baseball. Pitchers have always sucked at hitting.

The main reason why pitchers suck at hitting is they never do as they come up thru the ranks. Hell, even pitchers in a NL farm system don't start to hit regularly until AA so it is any wonder they stink at the plate?

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/71693338/new-york-mets-bartolo-colon-among-worst-hitting-pitchers-ever

From the looks of it, pitchers have never been good.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived