Brewer Fanatic

Joe Block leaves to take Pittsburgh PBP job

BuckyBrewer61
Tim Dillard

Maybe they should do "guest" broadcasters this season. Let different people match up with Ueck for a series and then on to the next one. Bob would probably hate that though. It could be a good way to give different people a shot and see what the audience thinks.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dullness isn't Block's biggest problem. His biggest problem is that he is terrible at describing the action on the field and the context of what was going on. He brings zero insight to strategy, doesn't update people who are just tuning in as to the key moments that led to that point in the game and I could go on and on. The bottom line was if you tune in, it was hard following what was going on. He's made some progress, as his first year was unbelievably bad, but not enough. You are better off following the game on your phone or computer. At least you know what's going on. I never turned on the radio to listen unless I was driving and had no choice.

Are you sure you aren't talking about Uecker?

I was going to post the same thing. If you want to listen to a bunch of stories and a guy talk about how bad he was at baseball, then Bob is your man. If you want to actually know what's going on, then Bob not so much.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

So many people say "Block was fine when he was with Hamilton". Or with Counsell, or with someone else.

Maybe the problem here wasn't Cory Provus. or Joe Block. The problem obviously isn't Bob Uecker......

But the format the Brewers Radio employs certainly isn't helping anyone.

Get someone young that can grow and become a staple after Uecker.

That makes a ton of sense...but I imagine that's what the Brewers had in mind for both the Provus and Block hires. Here are my handful of not-very-organized thoughts:

1. I think this puts me in the minority here (like I'm not used to that ;) ), but I've been solidly on the Joe Block bandwagon since his arrival, and I was really bummed to see the Haudricourt blog post yesterday. I'd been looking forward to the possibility of his taking over for Uecker (figuring the chances of keeping him were better than they were for Provus). I've appreciated his relative openness on Twitter, and he's done a good job of making me believe that he's a Brewers backer, without being overly homer.

I do think he's stronger as a broadcaster when he's side by side with someone (whether as the #2 or the default #1 in Ueck's absence), but I like his voice and overall on-air demeanor. Since a lot of fans think he's boring, maybe that means I'm boring, but that's nothing I haven't heard before. :)

2. I wonder how successful the Brewers can be to retain any radio talent for long nowadays. Do the announcers all have trouble remaining patient for a chance to succeed Ueck in the booth? Or could it be more that younger people nowadays are increasingly less likely to stick with any one job for very long?

I say this realizing that there are personal-life issues that made Atlanta extremely attractive to Jim Powell, and appear to make Pittsburgh have similar appeal to Joe Block. (I'm not aware of a particular bond between Cory Provus and the Twins/Minnesota; I could see him trying to succeed Pat Hughes with the Cubs, just because he's personally a Cubs fan.)

We've been extremely spoiled by having Bob for most of the tenure of this franchise, and I'm not saying I expect his eventual successor to want to stay here 40+ years. I do wonder how soon it will be rare for the same broadcaster to be in place for even 10-20 years. I think that's the direction the working world is taking. I hope it does not mean turnover in the Brewers' radio booth every 3 seasons.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I thought Block was good at times, but yes, very dull. I've always supported him because I thought he became much better when paired with someone. The way the Brewers do things now, he was on his own too often, which made for very dull innings. Bring back Provus!

Fortunately I get all the Corey Provus all I want over here in Minneapolis! :-)

These guys might have already been on a contract. But the last four hires (provided that Block goes) have all left for what amounts to a promotion. They've all gone from #2 in Milwaukee to #1 somewhere else, and two of the four went to much larger markets. Releasing people under those circumstances would be the fair thing to do.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This move is now official, and local ties (to the Pittsburgh region) are part of the reason Joe decided to move on.

Post-Gazette story: Pirates hire Joe Block as play-by-play man

Block’s wife, Bethany, is originally from South Park. They recently had a daughter, so moving closer to family was appealing.

“The opportunity for me to kind of expand what I was doing with the Brewers and do nine innings and do some television as well, professionally, there was that lure,” Block said.

Joe's farewell/transitional tweet

http://i.imgur.com/LDXNqNv.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So glad he's gone, he was so boring to listen to, and tried too hard to carry on the "ueckerisms" we all love. I really enjoyed that boston guy they got last year who filled in as the PBP/color guy when Uecker didnt travel. I think Ueck and that guy will be pretty good!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Have there been any statements about who they are after now?

Unless I'm reading the article incorrectly, it looks like the Brewers promoted Jeff Levering to Joe Block's role and are now looking for candidates to take Levering's old position.

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/163249600/brewers-promote-levering-block-to-pirates

Archived