Brewer Fanatic

Joe Block leaves to take Pittsburgh PBP job

BuckyBrewer61

Brewers losing yet another of Uecker's #2 men?

Have to assume this has legs if the VP of communications is making statements on it. This honestly wouldn't upset me much. Joe Block seems like a nice enough guy, and while he's improved over his time here I've always found his calls pretty bland and unexciting. Wouldn't hurt nearly as much as losing Jim Powell.

I am not Shea Vucinich

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think after Uecker it will be a whirlwind of people filling that chair.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah....I have to echo the rest of the responses...Joe always seemed a little asleep at the wheel. I know there are worse guys out there, and we may just be spoiled, but it was rough to listen to, especially if they were getting routed.

And when it comes to Jim Powell, I think that's a pipe dream. I would absolutely love to have him back, but the Atlanta Braves job was a dream destination for him.

Let the search begin.....

And not to sway the subject to TV, but we are also spoiled with B.A., whether people know it or not. I'm surprised he's hung around as long as he has....

Get someone young that can grow and become a staple after Uecker.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I thought Block was good at times, but yes, very dull. I've always supported him because I thought he became much better when paired with someone. The way the Brewers do things now, he was on his own too often, which made for very dull innings. Bring back Provus!

What's Ben Sheets up to these days?

Agree with the Block comments, he improved, but was lacking as the lead man without someone else providing color.

I don't have any particular memories of Levering from last year, but regardless of how he was, he should be better and more comfortable behind the mike this year.

Dullness isn't Block's biggest problem. His biggest problem is that he is terrible at describing the action on the field and the context of what was going on. He brings zero insight to strategy, doesn't update people who are just tuning in as to the key moments that led to that point in the game and I could go on and on. The bottom line was if you tune in, it was hard following what was going on. He's made some progress, as his first year was unbelievably bad, but not enough. You are better off following the game on your phone or computer. At least you know what's going on. I never turned on the radio to listen unless I was driving and had no choice.

Dullness isn't Block's biggest problem. His biggest problem is that he is terrible at describing the action on the field and the context of what was going on. He brings zero insight to strategy, doesn't update people who are just tuning in as to the key moments that led to that point in the game and I could go on and on. The bottom line was if you tune in, it was hard following what was going on. He's made some progress, as his first year was unbelievably bad, but not enough. You are better off following the game on your phone or computer. At least you know what's going on. I never turned on the radio to listen unless I was driving and had no choice.

Are you sure you aren't talking about Uecker?

I loved Joe, sad to see him go. It's odd that people complain about his blandness when he's by himself, considering, I believe, only two broadcasts do that anymore in MLB. Milwaukee and the Dodgers.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Jeff Cirillo

Jeff's a color or studio guy. Because of the unique construction of the broadcasts, Brewers radio needs play by play announcers. They only fall back on a color guy when their regular options are unavailable.

Are you sure you aren't talking about Uecker?

Describing the action while it's happening has never been Bob's strength. But he's good about backtracking and getting things right once all is said and done. Backtracking can be more important than getting it right the first time; a lot of announcers skip that step.

I'm fine with Block, but it took me awhile to warm up to him. In contrast, I warmed up to Cory Provus quickly, probably because he was thrown in head first due to Uecker's medical issues at the time.

I like Jeff Levering. I haven't heard a lot of him on the radio, but I was really impressed when he worked a TV game last year. And it's hard not to think about the time he relieved himself while on the air.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived