Brewer Fanatic

MLB TV settlement

craigharmann

Caught this in the email they sent me today:

"Unserved Fans: MLB will offer live streaming of any in-market team's telecasts produced by Comcast, Root Sports, or Fox regional sports networks to any customer who is unable to obtain multi-channel video provider distributor service or virtual multi-channel video provider distributor service at his or her residence. "

I'm not sure what this means exactly, but perhaps this is aimed at solving some of the 'living in Iowa, six teams blacked out with few shown on local cable' issue?

But, if I were in Wisconsin I'd just get a VPN.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Caught this in the email they sent me today:

"Unserved Fans: MLB will offer live streaming of any in-market team's telecasts produced by Comcast, Root Sports, or Fox regional sports networks to any customer who is unable to obtain multi-channel video provider distributor service or virtual multi-channel video provider distributor service at his or her residence. "

I'm not sure what this means exactly, but perhaps this is aimed at solving some of the 'living in Iowa, six teams blacked out with few shown on local cable' issue?

But, if I were in Wisconsin I'd just get a VPN.

I'm thought that just means that if your cable provider allows you to watch on mobile devices you can now watch games on it.

You do get the audio when you purchase the MLB.TV package, to the poster that asked.

I think it said in the email I received about all this, that MLB is working with the regional sports stations to allow in market streaming options. I'm can't remember if it said for all people or just for people with a service. Either way, it's heading in the right direction, where sports will be offered to cord cutters. It just may take awhile. I feel like MLB has been the leader in sports streaming, so maybe they will be the first to offer in market streaming options.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We're cutting the cord at the end of February, and I was having this discussion with a friend. He said "I can't honestly see any reason why people can justify the cost of cable or satellite vs. streaming"

I said "Sports"

One word answer.

I just have to find a way to watch Brewers, Packers, and Badgers football. I'll read Bucks box scores, and I'm fine there.

• 4 weeks later...
I saw that Sony's Vue went national recently. Has anybody here subscribed to this? From what I can tell Vue does have Fox Sports but not sure if they air Bucks/Brewers games.

This makes me very excited, Brewers and Bucks games are the only reason I haven't cut the cord yet. It's just like a regular TV service, so no games are blacked out. However, when I look at the channel lineup with my zip code it shows as FS Detroit. They have a seven day free trial, so I'm going to try and see. I'll be very upset if FS Wisconsin isn't offered but all of the other local FS are.

Sony Vue has tiers, like all other TV providers. The cheapest tier, at 29.99 does not have local sports. The 2nd tier, at 34.99, has FSN and the B1G Channel. No local channels yet. Those are only in the original 7 cities that were rolled out, and they charge an extra $10 for those.

That is actually great I don't want to pay for local channels I already get for free. $35 is actually pretty good if I can watch my sports teams. Must cheaper than cable and no fees for DVR, cable boxes and the like.

I saw that Sony's Vue went national recently. Has anybody here subscribed to this? From what I can tell Vue does have Fox Sports but not sure if they air Bucks/Brewers games.

This makes me very excited, Brewers and Bucks games are the only reason I haven't cut the cord yet. It's just like a regular TV service, so no games are blacked out. However, when I look at the channel lineup with my zip code it shows as FS Detroit. They have a seven day free trial, so I'm going to try and see. I'll be very upset if FS Wisconsin isn't offered but all of the other local FS are.

The FS channels are only local and are dependent on where your IP address is placing you. If your IP address is placing you in Michigan you will only get FS Detroit. There are a couple of ways to change this you can use a proxy which I don't believe will work with PS Vue or you will have to get a VPN I haven't tried this but this is more likely to work than anything else but no guarantee on that.

I just started my trial on this and I am not sure if you can or can not watch Bucks/Brewers games. There is a 7-day free trial I would just start the free trial on the day that you know there is a game that will be aired and see if it works on that day. The worst that happens is that it doesn't work and you can cancel the subscription at no cost other than the time you put in.

The FS channels are only local and are dependent on where your IP address is placing you. If your IP address is placing you in Michigan you will only get FS Detroit. There are a couple of ways to change this you can use a proxy which I don't believe will work with PS Vue or you will have to get a VPN I haven't tried this but this is more likely to work than anything else but no guarantee on that.

I just started my trial on this and I am not sure if you can or can not watch Bucks/Brewers games. There is a 7-day free trial I would just start the free trial on the day that you know there is a game that will be aired and see if it works on that day. The worst that happens is that it doesn't work and you can cancel the subscription at no cost other than the time you put in.

I'm in the Fox Valley, and it doesn't go by IP address, it goes by zip code. Looks like for some reason Western Wisconsin gets MN, Northeast Wisconsin get Detroit, and Milwaukee gets nothing. Wisconsin isn't offered at all. Looking at the Sony forums, there appears to be issues with a lot of FS networks missing. Hopefully they get it figured out because the day FS Wisconsin is offered is the day I cancel cable.

• 2 weeks later...
Tmobile is offering free MLBTV Premium for subscribers this year :)

I just discovered this.

Login to tmobile.com/mlb while on the network (not connected to wifi). Tmobile gave away the audio streaming in past years, awesome they are giving away mlb.tv this year.

Those who have DirecTV, is there anyone who lives in Iowa that is planning to do the 1-team package or just the package in general? Last year, the MLB package was blocked out for me here but I think with these new rules, I should be okay this year? Maybe now, I'm not really sure.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm in the Fox Valley, and it doesn't go by IP address, it goes by zip code. Looks like for some reason Western Wisconsin gets MN, Northeast Wisconsin get Detroit, and Milwaukee gets nothing. Wisconsin isn't offered at all. Looking at the Sony forums, there appears to be issues with a lot of FS networks missing. Hopefully they get it figured out because the day FS Wisconsin is offered is the day I cancel cable.

We just started the free trial of PS Vue, and even though we don't get FSN, it's still a very good package for the price ($35 dollars a month for the core slim package).

It's got all the channels and shows we watched before, including live ESPN programming and BTN. I watched Royals/Mets yesterday, and I'll be able to watch the NCAA championship tonight. The Slim plus package is 35 dollars, and the slim elite (100 or so channels) is like 45 dollars.

Our old cable package was $195 dollars through Charter for Internet + Tv. Now we'll be paying 65 for internet, plus 35 for PS Vue.

I used Fox Sports Go on my tablet on opening day and again today. As a TW Cable viewer it is great to be able to watch this when not at home. Picture is a little blurry at times, but not bad. Very happy to finally see that I can finally watch when not at home.

I used Fox Sports Go on my tablet on opening day and again today. As a TW Cable viewer it is great to be able to watch this when not at home. Picture is a little blurry at times, but not bad. Very happy to finally see that I can finally watch when not at home.

How did you get the Brewers game? I just went to that site and cannot find it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

How did you get the Brewers game? I just went to that site and cannot find it.

You only get your local game and I believe you have said that you live in Iowa so I would assume you only get Chicago games.

You only get your local game and I believe you have said that you live in Iowa so I would assume you only get Chicago games.

I paid for the sports pack on Directv which gets me FSN Wisconsin.

I paid for the sports pack on Directv which gets me FSN Wisconsin.

Then I don't know. After I logged in with my Charter info I had a bunch of soccer games I couldn't care about and the Brewers listed somewhere in the middle of them.

Both TV feeds of tonight's game in San Diego suck. The sound comes and goes, and suddenly I'll be watching a part of the game that occurred earlier. Announcers are cut off mid-sentence, and the sentence restarts. Right now, the picture is frozen. It's not my equipment or the system. If I flip on the Athletics-White Sox game, all is well.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Paying for the sports pack on Direct TV will get you other programming on FSN, but not Brewers games. You have to buy the MLB package to get MLB games. You will get a lot of college volleyball and other sports though.

Paying for the sports pack on Direct TV will get you other programming on FSN, but not Brewers games. You have to buy the MLB package to get MLB games. You will get a lot of college volleyball and other sports though.

It is location dependent. I get the Brewers games with the sports pack living in Iowa as it is in my home location. But if I were to not buy the sports pack, I would only get one team. It is really dumb how they have it set up. Either way, I think I have it down now as to I can watch FSN North on the fox go app and I can watch it at home. This should give me every game they are on TV this year now. At least I'm hoping.

What you get with which package depends on where you live. A cable provider will likely give you one team's channel or maybe two without any added packages. Extra Innings covers out of market teams.

The issue is when you're in several "home" markets. To get those teams, such as getting the Brewers in Iowa, a sports package will likely fill the gap.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived