Brewer Fanatic

Bryce Harper: Will he get $50 million per year?

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Just for fun, let's assume he is able to produce at his 2015 level for three more seasons. Even so, I don't see salary inflation to the point where he will get 50/year on a long-term deal. The only way I could see this happening is if he does something strange like take a 2 year/100 million deal, though I doubt he'd do that.

Khris davis, a glorified dh who hits hrs when he occasionally makes contact, is getting about 25 million a year for a majority of the next decade...

Based on his age when getting to free agency, yes, Bryce harper will get alot closer to 50 million per season than small market team fans would want to see. Him setting the market just drives up the price for everyone else.

Khris davis, a glorified dh who hits hrs when he occasionally makes contact, is getting about 25 million a year for a majority of the next decade...

Based on his age when getting to free agency, yes, Bryce harper will get alot closer to 50 million per season than small market team fans would want to see. Him setting the market just drives up the price for everyone else.

I didn't realize the Brewers' LF was making that much per season. :laughing

Huh? 25-million Dollars? Are we in some sort of Bizarro-world? Please explain further...

Huh? 25-million Dollars? Are we in some sort of Bizarro-world? Please explain further...

Poster is referring to Chris Davis who recently re-signed with the Orioles.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Poster is referring to Chris Davis who recently re-signed with the Orioles.

And is a poor example since Chris Davis can play multiple positions, is average at worst defensively, and pretty good at getting on base.

I find it hard to believe a team would offer him something like 10/$500M. However, given his age I could see him getting something like a 15-year $525M contract (possibly with opt-outs so he could hit the open market and make more down the line)

His free agency is only what, 3 years away? Salaries are not going to explode that much is only a few years. I'd say $35 Million a year is more realistic.

If Harper keeps playing at an MVP level and given his age, no way in hell he only gets 35 million per on a long term deal. At minimum i'd say 45 million per, especially with Boras as his agent. You'd have multiple big markets fighting all over themselves trying to lock him up if Harper reached free agency. The only way Boras would allow Harper to not hit free agency is if Washington made a silly big offer first.

And is a poor example since Chris Davis can play multiple positions, is average at worst defensively, and pretty good at getting on base.

I'd say offensively he's definitely an elite performer. Calling him "average at worst" defensively is generous. His numbers at 3B and outfield are pretty terrible. He can play an adequate 1B, so I honestly don't now why the Orioles mess around with putting him in the outfield at all.

First off, $35 million per year is too low. Greinke basically got that already. I see Harper getting something like 12 years $500 million from baseball's wealthiest owner (Washington), with several opt-outs.

I still think Mike Trout is the better player. He's going to be making about $34 million at end of his deal and has played at MVP level for multiple years. Harper needs to do it for a couple more years, and then would likely start his deal at around that $34 million range, maybe a little more for inflation.

Even if Trout is the better player, he signed his extension years before hitting free agency. In exchange for getting paid earlier, his total money has to be deflated. Harper in FA will (and should) get a much larger contract that Trout.

His free agency is only what, 3 years away? Salaries are not going to explode that much is only a few years. I'd say $35 Million a year is more realistic.

Baseball inflation has been silly, but I agree it won't go that fast. If it ends up a $50M per year average it will be because a ton of the contract is deferred money coming a decade after he is done playing.

Yes, I think he gets it and probably will not even be a horrible contract at 10 years 500 million as he will only be 35 years old at the end of the contract. Sure he is not as good as Trout but I don't think that really matters much.

Trout was not as good as Harper last year, and Trout is historically great. Harper had a 197 OPS+ ..... Harper had a .460 OBP .... Harper had a .330 Batting Average. Harper had a 197 wRC+. Harper had a .461 wOBA. Harper had a .649 SLG % ....

Other than the Batting Average in 2012 & 2013 (.323 & .326), Trout hasn't come close to approaching any of those numbers yet in his brilliant career.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived