Brewer Fanatic

Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Latest: Upgrades confirmed in San Antonio's Stadium

crickets

Rochester, MN has the Mayo Clinic, the ground being excavated for the Mayo expansion, a few brewpubs to get people to move to the city to work at the newly expanded clinic... and not much else.

Actually, I'm sure the city government would be interested in building a baseball stadium. That city desperately needs young people.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the great young pitchers who will be going through AAA in the next two years I sure hope we find something other CS.

Prefer that new site be outside the PCL.

Granted Colorado Springs is rough on pitchers but many other across that league are also very tough on the pitchers..

Seems like Rochester is setting themselves up to align with the Mets, which makes too much sense. I'll predict the Brewers end up beating the Twins out for Vegas, and the Twins get stuck in Colorado Springs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Correct, there's a very good reason the Brewers wanted out of High Desert and ended up in Brevard County. In the early 2000s the Brewers were skipping prospects past A+ and sending them right to AA because they felt the AZ weather was having a negative effect on player development, and I'm not talking about the heat but rather the extremely high offensive output.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

While I agree Vegas isn't perfect, is easily better than Colorado Springs. CS is extreme elevations where breaking balls don't break. That's what's ruining the pitchers. Pitchers will have a high ERA in Vegas, but they won't get so out of whack mechanically.

Players will like the Vegas location, making it easier to sign minor league free agents.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

While I agree Vegas isn't perfect, is easily better than Colorado Springs. CS is extreme elevations where breaking balls don't break. That's what's ruining the pitchers. Pitchers will have a high ERA in Vegas, but they won't get so out of whack mechanically.

Players will like the Vegas location, making it easier to sign minor league free agents.

Sorry bro, I didn't mean to suggest it was, just much less than ideal. Losing Indy and then Nashville just stinks.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

the brewers had a near perfect situation in Nashville (proximity to Milwaukee, new stadium) and the went into another direction because they were not winning. The brewers have really remedied this over the last 2 seasons, and its depressing to think that they are probably down to only 1 city to relocate to and its only slightly better than CS.

Correct, there's a very good reason the Brewers wanted out of High Desert and ended up in Brevard County. In the early 2000s the Brewers were skipping prospects past A+ and sending them right to AA because they felt the AZ weather was having a negative effect on player development, and I'm not talking about the heat but rather the extremely high offensive output.

High Desert plays in Adelanto, California, not in Arizona at all. Like nearby Lancaster it's at pretty high altitude (almost 3000 feet) and it's one of the most extreme hitters' environments in the minors. It's pretty hot there in the summer, but it's not nearly as hot as Phoenix, and the temperatures are less important than the altitude anyway. (It also might well be more pleasant kind of hot than, say, Carolina League parks...having spent summers in New Orleans and Atlanta I'd take the desert over the humid southeast any time.) FWIW Vegas is at about 2000 feet and Cashman field is a hitters' park, but it's at least a bit less so than Colorado Springs.

this is a good summary of the situation, all of it is posted in this thread but still a decent read.

It was noted though that Rochester resigned with the twins last week, leaving vegas and CS as the only options left.

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2016/8/24/12592350/colorado-springs-brewers-minor-leagues

i have resigned myself to the fact that they aren't going anywhere until 2019

Still holding out a small glimmer of hope for Toledo or even less likely, Lehigh Valley.

Though looking at the map, didn't realize Toledo was so close to Detroit.

Figured people up in WI knew the relationship between Toledo and Michigan. There was literally a shooting"war" over it and the state border between Ohio and Michigan.

Ohio won the war, getting the strip of land & Toledo.

Congress gave the Upper Peninsula to Michigan in consolation.

Wisconsin, still being a territory at the point, got nothing but lost the U.P.

Back on topic: can't see the Phillies departing Lehigh Valley/ Allentown. Even with Reading being their AA club and partially owed by the Phillies, having those clubs very close to the Major League location is desirable for rehab purposes...

side issue and bringing back a past converation, alot of posters responded back to me that Madison would not work as a triple A teamed owned by the brewers because of its proximity to Milwaukee, but toledo / Detroit and Leigh Valley / Philadelphia seem to work great.

Seems like it would be the ideal situation because it would be give the brewers the best indication of a players ability in the same climate as Milwaukee.

I understand that the odds of contracting a team and Mark A buying one and building a triple A stadium is a pipe dream though.

Back on subject, Detroit has been pretty bad at developing players of late and have a pretty bare organization at the higher levels, the fact that Toldeo hasn't re upped like everyone else could mean somethings up, but i doubt it.

side issue and bringing back a past converation, alot of posters responded back to me that Madison would not work as a triple A teamed owned by the brewers because of its proximity to Milwaukee, but toledo / Detroit and Leigh Valley / Philadelphia seem to work great.

Seems like it would be the ideal situation because it would be give the brewers the best indication of a players ability in the same climate as Milwaukee.

I understand that the odds of contracting a team and Mark A buying one and building a triple A stadium is a pipe dream though.

Back on subject, Detroit has been pretty bad at developing players of late and have a pretty bare organization at the higher levels, the fact that Toldeo hasn't re upped like everyone else could mean somethings up, but i doubt it.

I think the bigger issue would be that they'd be quite a bit further away from the other AAA teams. I don't think proximity to MKE would be an issue at all, I agree it would actually be a positive. Mallards do fairly well here and I think they can support a team. When I looked into it a few weeks ago I ruled it out as a possibility based on the other AAA teams though.

I think the bigger issue would be that they'd be quite a bit further away from the other AAA teams. I don't think proximity to MKE would be an issue at all, I agree it would actually be a positive. Mallards do fairly well here and I think they can support a team. When I looked into it a few weeks ago I ruled it out as a possibility based on the other AAA teams though.

not really if they played in the IL, there is already a division of Columbus, Toledo, Indy, and Lousville. Also Iowa has been fine in the PCL even though there are many teams on the west coast.

not really if they played in the IL, there is already a division of Columbus, Toledo, Indy, and Lousville. Also Iowa has been fine in the PCL even though there are many teams on the west coast.

I didn't notice Iowa played in the PCL so I guess it's not a fore sure deal breaker. But what you said on those other teams is kind of what I was getting at, those teams are all clustered within a few hours of each other, Madison is 8 hours away from them with the closest being Indy at 6 hours.

The PCL absorbed the old American Association a few years ago, so there are about half the teams east of the Rockies now, which explains the 'american' and 'pacific' names in the divisions. In fact, Colorado Springs is in an 'American' division with Iowa, Omaha, and OKC, so a more midwestern team would make a lot of sense. Wichita had a long minor league (and college) baseball tradition but couldn't support their AA team, otherwise that would seem like a good geographical fit.

Maybe the Brewers/Madison can start a trend since it seems no one wants to play in the mountains and desert. Start getting more and more in the midwest and central regions. Start moving a bunch of those teams this way.

Maybe the Brewers/Madison can start a trend since it seems no one wants to play in the mountains and desert. Start getting more and more in the midwest and central regions. Start moving a bunch of those teams this way.

Since that's kind of the opposite way the population is moving I doubt that happens.

Archived