Brewer Fanatic

Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Latest: Upgrades confirmed in San Antonio's Stadium

crickets
Brewer Fanatic Staff
So any chance of New Orleans? Doesn't get us to the IL but its better than current. If I was Gord Ash, that is who I would be targeting. I don't know if bridges were burned in the 1990s, but 90 minutes drive from Biloxi would be convenient. They have had (1) winning season in 7 years under the Marlins so they may be receptive to a change. The Brewers should offer to finish spring with exhibition games on the gulf coast annually. And New Orleans probably has plenty of flight options.

That is the best idea I've seen on this "escaping Colorado Springs" topic yet, and you also researched the Marlins' record there, nice work. Hopefully "Mr. Special Projects" Gord Ash is preparing his case in a really sweet binder (PowerPoint, etc.), because unless by covert means, he's not allowed to formally proceed until a specific fall deadline, as detailed below.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

From this link at the Syracuse Chiefs' site --

Here is a list of common questions that the Syracuse Chiefs' front office has received regarding the affiliation process under which Major and Minor League clubs enter into Player Development Contracts ("PDC"). All of the answers listed below have been provided by the Minor League Baseball office.

Q: When can a Major League and Minor League club who are parties to an agreement renew that agreement?

A: The parties can agree to extend a PDC at any time during its term.

Q: What is the term of a PDC?

A: A PDC between a Major and Minor League club is for a minimum of two years and may be extended in two-year increments.

Q: When can Major and Minor League clubs that are not currently affiliated begin talking to each other?

A: The Major and Minor League clubs that give notice that they intend to discuss a possible new affiliation may begin such discussions on September 16 (note: due to the Bricktown Showdown, this date is September 18 for triple-A clubs). Any discussion or comments before that date may constitute tampering that could subject the club to fines or other penalties. The time to give notice begins on the first day following the close of the regular season (this year September 5).

Q: When is the deadline to sign a new PDC?

A: If a new PDC is not signed by September 30 the Commissioner of Baseball and President of Minor League Baseball will assign a PDC by October 7.

Q: Can a club with a PDC this season be left without an affiliate at the end of the process?

A: No.

Q: Can a Major or Minor League club offer a benefit (money, exhibition games, etc.) in exchange for entering into a PDC?

A: No. All PDC terms are the same and clubs are prohibited from promising economic benefits including exhibition games.

Q: Can a PDC be terminated early?

A: Only in limited circumstances, and usually only if another club is willing to switch.

Q: What penalties can be imposed on clubs that violate the rules?

A: Penalties include fines of up to $100,000 for Minor League clubs and $500,000 for Major League clubs.

Q: Why won't Minor League clubs talk about Major League teams they would like to have as their PDC affiliate?

A: Because these kind of comments can constitute tampering and lead to serious penalties.

Great Q&A Mass, very helpful!

Q: When can a Major League and Minor League club who are parties to an agreement renew that agreement?

A: The parties can agree to extend a PDC at any time during its term.

Does this mean a team can essentially lock in an agreement for 4 years? Sign the agreement for 2 years, but it can be renewed any time. So renew it one day into the contract to gain another two years?

Also, assuming that moving to a new city doesn't have any effect? For example, Manatees moving out of Brevard doesn't mean they have to wait until Sept to renew PDC with the Brewers correct? Manatees just choosing to wait to see what the other options are?

No chance of New Orleans, unfortunately. Saw this on the Ballpark Digest website. Renewed with Marlins through 2020.

http://ballparkdigest.com/2016/06/24/marlins-zephyrs-extend-player-development-contract/

Unfortunately I belive that was our only real opportunity to get out of there I would rather not have a triple A Farm Club then to be stuck there for 2 more seasons just can't see any postive comming out of that situation it totally hurts the development of our pictures and it's not good for developing our hitters either ,so we reup for two years and then get screwed when they move to San Antonio ,why help them out just get by with out a afilataite for two years . Load up at double A keep the rest at extended spring traning would be better off then what we have now.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Does this mean a team can essentially lock in an agreement for 4 years? Sign the agreement for 2 years, but it can be renewed any time. So renew it one day into the contract to gain another two years?

Also, assuming that moving to a new city doesn't have any effect? For example, Manatees moving out of Brevard doesn't mean they have to wait until Sept to renew PDC with the Brewers correct? Manatees just choosing to wait to see what the other options are?

Yes, a current association can extend any time, up to four years out.

And the new Kissimmee location changes nothing for the Manatees in terms of the rules specified in the Q&A above.

• 1 month later...
Just more foot-dragging in San Antonio --

Downtown SA baseball stadium report to remain a mystery for now

Can't say I'm surprised. After living in San Antonio for 6 and a half years, there's a lot of hurt over the Alamodome, and the lack of use versus the cost. On top of that, the current baseball stadium was invested in recently, so there's the concern about spending money on building ANOTHER stadium. A downtown stadium would make sense and I think in the end would be a benefit, as the current stadium is west of downtown. Much of the population is to the north and northeast of downtown. From where I lived, it took me 35-45 minutes to get to the stadium, depending on traffic. Downtown would be much easier. But time will tell to see how it goes....if it goes. I'm curious to see if the move would still happen to the current stadium, even if not much comes along with the downtown stadium in a timely fashion.

here is a current summary of affilates up for renewel, it would appear to me that the brewers are sticking in Colordo Springs

http://ballparkdigest.com/200905261902/minor-league-baseball/news/affiliate-dance-2012

Looks to me that the only 3 possible options beside CS is Fresno (Giants), Vegas (Mets), and Rochester (Twins)

Would it be possible to allow swearing for thr purposes of properly expressing how truly disappointing this is?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Unless something happens which no one sees right now looks like we might be stuck there for another 2 years

I'd rather have no AAA team then play two more seasons in Colorado Springs. That city shouldn't even have a team. The Rockies should be mandated to have Colorado Springs as an affiliate.

Unless something happens which no one sees right now looks like we might be stuck there for another 2 years

After reading Mass Haas post on restrictions (not being able to give economic incentives), I don't see ever getting out of Colorado Springs. :(

I was just thinking the other day how well Madison does with the Mallards and how it would be nice to get out of CS and put a team there. Looking at the AAA leagues though I just don't see how it's possible since they're not really close to the other teams. Would have to be an A ball team and from what I can gather the Rattlers do things just fine as well. they need a way out of CS, but nothing seems too likely at this point.

It would be nice if the Brewers could just agree to play in a college stadium somewhere until this is worked out, but with all of the contracts the MLB has with everyone, their options are going to be very limited. If the Brewers still had a weak system, they could just stockpile everyone in Biloxi, and field the AAA team with checkout boys from the local grocery store, but with the current farm, they have to put talented players in a position that could hurt their development.

Sucks when you have to try to find ways not to utilize your final stage of development.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I haven't given up hope. With Terry Ryan's firing, sounds like Rochester isn't a lock to affiliate with the Twins again. While the Mets would probably would be chosen over the Brewers if they do decide to move on, Viva Las Vegas! Not much better, but better and can't beat the flight options!

i agree, i think Rochester is our best option. The brewers should have an exciting team in triple A next season, that has to be worth something. we lost nashville because we weren't competing, now that we are, we still are getting the bobby prize for affiliates.

So here's an honest question: Why wouldn't the Rockies want their AAA team in C. Springs? It's right down the street, so it would be easy on travel expenses - AND it would get their pitchers accustomed to the type of conditions that they are going to be experiencing at the big league level? To me, this makes way too much sense. What am I missing?

So here's an honest question: Why wouldn't the Rockies want their AAA team in C. Springs? It's right down the street, so it would be easy on travel expenses - AND it would get their pitchers accustomed to the type of conditions that they are going to be experiencing at the big league level? To me, this makes way too much sense. What am I missing?

i believe they left largely because of a sub par stadium.

Archived