Brewer Fanatic

Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Latest: Upgrades confirmed in San Antonio's Stadium

crickets
The San Antonio ballpark is awful - would much rather be in Fresno if those are the two choices.

I agree with this. While I like the idea of San Antonio as a city, it seems like the stadium situation would border on what the Brewers experienced in Nashville in terms of antiquated facilities. Right now San Antonio is a long way from any plans for a new ballpark, and by time it gets approved and built the affiliate agreement would likely be near expiration.

If it is ultimately Fresno, one possible fun storyline next year could be Jake Gatewood returning from injury and playing in his hometown.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The San Antonio ballpark is awful - would much rather be in Fresno if those are the two choices.

It is awful. There will be a new stadium built. Just a matter of when. I lived in SA for 6 years, now live in Houston and will be making plans to check out games next summer. I’m absolutely pumped that they’re in SA.

For AAA ballparks I've been to Albuquerque & Louisville (both very nice), Sacramento (meh) and Colorado Springs (underwhelming).

Is SA even worse than CS?

its a AA park being used for a AAA league if that helps?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

For AAA ballparks I've been to Albuquerque & Louisville (both very nice), Sacramento (meh) and Colorado Springs (underwhelming).

Is SA even worse than CS?

It was mediocre for AA. There’s going to have to be improvements. In my 6 years in SA, I went to probably 20 Missions games. The location of the stadium sucks. It’s on the SW side of town and most of the population is on the N/NE/NW sides of town. Downtown would be best, but the city doesn’t want to use public $$ for a new stadium.

If the talks included some guarantee--official or not--of being an affiliate in San Antonio when a new ballpark is built, then it's probably a good move. The lingering pessimism is that the Rangers would swoop in after a new ballpark is built and have an extended affiliation with the franchise, and the Brewers would end up enduring outdated AAA facilities again with no future benefit.

I also wonder if this two-year affiliation with San Antonio is meant to keep open the possibility of affiliating with Wichita once the reported move of the New Orleans franchise happens. New facilities in a Midwestern setting would be worth a long-term partnership with Wichita.

The San Antonio result is disappointing. The park stinks, and as far as I'm aware there's no interest in replacing it because San Antonio wants to be an MLB city, not a AAA city. There's only so much they can/will do to fix it up. The Brewers have once again managed to scrape the bottom of the AAA barrel.

If I were a betting man, I'd put some money on the Brewers' AAA affiliate being in Wichita in 2021.

The San Antonio result is disappointing. The park stinks, and as far as I'm aware there's no interest in replacing it because San Antonio wants to be an MLB city, not a AAA city. There's only so much they can/will do to fix it up. The Brewers have once again managed to scrape the bottom of the AAA barrel.

If I were a betting man, I'd put some money on the Brewers' AAA affiliate being in Wichita in 2021.

Either having a AAA or MLB team, the current stadium will not do. As I said in previous posts, there have been discussions and conversations about a new stadium. It seems like it will happen, just a matter of when and who is paying for it.

I certainly don’t have Mark A’s check book and spending money on things other franchises aren’t (like our spring training facility) is putting us at a competitive disadvantage regardless of your feelings on tax subsidies. However, would be interesting if the Brewers bought an ownership stake in part to help finance a new stadium.

Most interesting part of the Nashville deal is it is for four years, so the Rangers will not be coming to San Antonio in 2020.

I think they'd also have been pretty serious competition for the new team in Wichita in 2020, too. So if movement on the new stadium doesn't happen in the next two years, leaving for Kansas is a little easier.

I do wonder if the San Antonio ownership will explore their relocation options if they get frustrated with the stadium situation.

Archived