Brewer Fanatic

Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Latest: Upgrades confirmed in San Antonio's Stadium

crickets

Really nice article out of Dallas that gives solid detail on what each side of the affiliation is responsible for financially. It also puts some emphasis on why the facilities are so important these days.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2018/09/14/5-mlb-teams-need-triple-affiliate-rangers-one-pairing-franchise-wont-simple

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really nice article out of Dallas that gives solid detail on what each side of the affiliation is responsible for financially. It also puts some emphasis on why the facilities are so important these days.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2018/09/14/5-mlb-teams-need-triple-affiliate-rangers-one-pairing-franchise-wont-simple

Interesting article about who pays for what. What I also find interesting is the comment about a minor league team looking for a winning team while aligning with an organization. I believe that was part of the reason Nashville gave us the boot but I'd be interested to know if having a winning team makes any difference in attendance in the minors. I would think the biggest thing is the parent club and it's proximity to the minor league team. The TRats attendance sky rocketed because of the Brewers. They could have won multiple championships but been affiliated with the Padres and I'm sure attendance would have not changed at all. The other thing would be having top prospects. That's kind of hard to predict. The parent club could have a great system but not have any "superstar" prospects come through that fans want to see.

Ultimately, the minor league team wants to pair with whatever MLB organization will make it the most money. Outside of being located close together, I have no idea how they can figure that out since the MLB team is prohibited from doing anything to help the minor league organization other than providing players and coaches.

It's definitely true that playing within market is ideal, but winning really does matter too. So, so, so many people who buy tickets to minor league games don't really care about baseball. They are there for the atmosphere, the promotions, their kids, etc., and when the team wins it adds to that fuzzy feeling and makes them more apt to come back in the future. So I think it's less about win/loss record or playoffs and more about winning contributing to the home game experience.

To put it another way: few people really care (or realize) if a team like the T-Rats win or lose on the road, but having them win at home is huge.

Hey everyone. I don't post often, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents regarding the Pioneer League situation. The Triple-A situation gets the headlines, but I'm more interested to see what could potentially play out at the lower levels.

I don't know if it's taboo to cross-post from another blog, but I did a BCB fanpost last month about the Brewers' options at the short-season levels. Seems easier to link rather than just repeat the same thing.

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/8/12/17680892/who-needs-colorado-springs

TL;DR

The Brewers are not at all obligated to stay with the Helena/Colorado Springs franchise, but are still the most likely parent club due to there being no other obvious suitors. What happens if the Brewers decline, along with the other 29 MLB teams? The lower levels do not have an even 30 affiliates, so the musical chairs we see at the upper levels does not come into play. Would the NAPBL intervene? We haven't had an unaffiliated team in the affiliated ecosystem since 1997.

I'm curious to know how Elmore feels about working with the Brewers' organization. If they're happy with the relationship, maybe they pull out a "stick with us in Colorado Springs, we'll stick with you in San Antonio" deal.

MILB would co op a team to fulfill its contract agreement with the MILB club. That would happen only after asking MLB teams if they would like to operate another affiliate with them helping with cost. This is what happened when the Mariners vacated Pulaski and the Yankees set up shop.

Brewers should jump at the chance to take over Ogden if Dodgers leave.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. I don't fully understand what you mean with the Pulaski situation. As far as I can tell from B-Ref and such, they went from being a straight Mariners affiliate to straight Yankees. If you have a link to an article, please share!

Yes, a reunion with Ogden would be nice. We'll see.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
A's have officially moved to Vegas.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Brewers have been solid at the AAA level for several years, and look to have a prospect-laiden group at that level next year. I for the life of me cannot understand why they aren't more attractive to AAA teams.

Isn't the Sounds ownership group the ones making the move to San Antonio? I wonder if they perhaps put the cart before the horse in severing ties with the Brewers thinking they had another squad lined up? To me San Antonio makes sense for the Rangers. I'd like to see the Brewers in Nashville again, but that doesn't sound like its going to happen.

Oh well, Fresno will at least be better than Colorado Springs. Just just sucks being the last kid picked for the kickball game every time.

No, the Sounds ownership isn't the same as San Antonio. SA's ownership is Elmore Sports Group, who have plenty of experience with the Brewers since they also own the Helena franchise that's moving to Colorado Springs. Whether or not that hurts or hinders their chances of landing with the San Antonio team is anyone's guess.

Fresno is still the most likely team for the Brewers, but Nashville and San Antonio seem to be possibilities. If it is Fresno, I say we embrace the Grizzlies. It will be much, much better than sending prospects to Pikes Peak.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

FYI - Fresno's elevation is actually closer to sea level than Milwaukee's.

617 vs 308 :)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No, the Sounds ownership isn't the same as San Antonio. SA's ownership is Elmore Sports Group, who have plenty of experience with the Brewers since they also own the Helena franchise that's moving to Colorado Springs. Whether or not that hurts or hinders their chances of landing with the San Antonio team is anyone's guess.

Fresno is still the most likely team for the Brewers, but Nashville and San Antonio seem to be possibilities. If it is Fresno, I say we embrace the Grizzlies. It will be much, much better than sending prospects to Pikes Peak.

Was reading a column about minor leauge fans the Grizzlies scored very high on fan support seems like Fresno supports baseball well.

These minor leave owners say winning is the most important thing, but the evidence says something else. Fresno just went to league championship and they cut bait. The skysox weren’t eliminated until the final day of the season and Biloxi went to the league championship series.

The brewers have greatly improved the system over the last 4 years and it seems like they will be the last team standing with no affiliate.

These minor leave owners say winning is the most important thing, but the evidence says something else. Fresno just went to league championship and they cut bait. The skysox weren’t eliminated until the final day of the season and Biloxi went to the league championship series.

The brewers have greatly improved the system over the last 4 years and it seems like they will be the last team standing with no affiliate.

Fresno did not want to separate from the Astros the Astros want to go to Round Rock ,and the Sky Sox’s are relocating to San Antonio.

Archived