Brewer Fanatic

Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Latest: Upgrades confirmed in San Antonio's Stadium

crickets
  • Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick recap on where things stand currently for 2019 Triple-A affiliations.

These four organizations are likely changing cities...

Brewers

A’s

Rangers

Nationals

With the four destination cities being...

Fresno

Las Vegas

San Antonio

Nashville

It does appear that Fresno remains the most likely match for the Brewers at this point.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Since its part of the moving pieces at the end of the 2018 season, I wanted to share the attached article from the milb website..

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/batting-around-breaking-ground-on-amarillo-ballpark/c-266001790

It also interesting to see what other towns/ clubs are lining up with newly built ballparks in the next few years..

Ballpark Digest update on Detroit and Toledo includes a summary in the final paragraph of where things stand at the AAA level.

I like how the article ended (in the general sense)...

Also, there are always some surprises when affiliation season launches — there are already rumblings of changes at lower levels impacted by MLB teams buying MiLB franchises. So let’s just say August and September should be fascinating months in the 2018 Minor League Baseball season.

Just a quick recap on where things stand currently for 2019 Triple-A affiliations.

Brewers

A’s

Rangers

Nationals

Fresno

Las Vegas

San Antonio

Nashville

It does appear that Fresno remains the most likely match for the Brewers at this point.

Yep. Given there's still seven months to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see most if not all of the unsigned but assumed sites fall off the board before we get to the signing period, leaving just those four (along with Round Rock and Syracuse) by the time we get to September. I wonder if the Twins would risk losing Rochester to compete with others for Nashville, as Ballpark Digest suggested? Their last two renewals have come in August. Mets/Vegas and Astros/Fresno both renewed in August last time around rather than risk Colorado Springs, because "the devil you know...".

I do hope that Brewers management is at least being a little proactive with CS/SA ownership group about extending. I'm sure the ownership group would prefer the Texas affiliation, but doesn't hurt to try. Unlikely, but it would be funny to see all teams able to renew before the signing period do so, leaving the Rangers and Nationals to fight over Vegas.

But at the end of the day, you really can't do worse than Colorado Springs. And if it is Fresno, then start to pay attention to MLB expansion; aggressive MLB owners should start planning to grab one of the AAA expansion teams if/when MLB expands.

Given those cities, the following geographical matchups make sense:

A's--Fresno (short drive) or Las Vegas (short flight)

Rangers--San Antonio

Nationals--Washington or Milwaukee

Brewers--Nashville or Las Vegas

I'd love Vegas, not only because I visit frequently. It's a major airport with direct flights to all MLB cities (something Fresno, Nashville, and San Antonio can't claim). No weather issues except monsoon season. And close proximity for our coaching staff and training facility in Maryvale. Nashville didn't want Milwaukee last time around, and based on proximity it would be logical they'd want the Nats.

Rangers--San Antonio

I'd love Vegas, not only because I visit frequently. It's a major airport with direct flights to all MLB cities (something Fresno, Nashville, and San Antonio can't claim). No weather issues except monsoon season. And close proximity for our coaching staff and training facility in Maryvale. Nashville didn't want Milwaukee last time around, and based on proximity it would be logical they'd want the Nats.

Is there a reason the A's don't want Fresno? That location makes so much sense for them. I would think if Vegas had to pick between us and the A's...our farm is better right now.

Rangers--San Antonio

Is there a reason the A's don't want Fresno? That location makes so much sense for them. I would think if Vegas had to pick between us and the A's...our farm is better right now.

No idea, but it was historically the Giants' affiliate.

• 1 month later...
I like Nashville as it is closer to Biloxi and a more neutral park, but if the Crew can't get back to Nashville, then Las Vegas would be okay for the reasons others have outlined.

I assume some bridges were probably burned when Nashville spurned us and we got stuck in CS ??...

• 1 month later...

Yeah, that's pretty interesting. I wonder what the time frame is for Pueblo (and Windsor, also mentioned) in relation to the ever-growing rumblings about MLB expansion. Seems like the Pioneer League would be the more likely league to grab any related expansion franchises (as opposed to the Appy League).

Looks like the author got his leagues mixed up. West Virginia is in the SAL, which isn't short-season. The NE short-season league is the NY-PENN. Doesn't matter, as I think he was right to peg the Pioneer League as the logical fit, and that rumblings of an 'A' level team were wrong.

Not much has changed, though Toronto and Buffalo recently re-upped. Not a surprising move at all there.

I think it's still safe to assume the only real questions marks are Fresno, Vegas, Nashville and Rochester, and the Brewers, A's, Nationals and Twins are the most likely teams playing for those cities.

Wish I'd bookmarked this stuff, but I have read at least one suggestion that the Diamondbacks would be a potential fit in Vegas given it's proximity to Phoenix. If that happened, would the A's pivot to Reno?

I've also read recently that the A's are notorious "new ballpark whores", which I guess explained why they were so willing to go to a bad geographic fit in Nashville a few years back. So that could mean they'll push hard for Vegas. But also worth noting that a new ballpark is being built in Madison, AL, for the current Mobile franchise, and Madison isn't too far south from Nashville. Would the A's jump from the Texas League to the Southern League for the new park and stick with Nashville to put AA and AAA close?

• 2 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff
A few years from now, it seems the Colorado Springs Pioneer League team will have a neighbor about 45 miles away, in Pueblo, CO. The Orem, Utah team will be relocating.

Nope, not happening.

Pueblo County Pulls Plug on Ballpark Project

Looking at the Affiliation Dance, it seems inevitable the Brewers rookie league team will be in Colorado Springs.

Going to be a travel nightmare for the league, and of course, the Brewers' kids. Maybe the league will get creative with extended homestands and road trips.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next month or so at both the AAA and rookie levels. The Colorado Springs rookie team bus trips are going to be outrageous meaning if you want to stay in the Pioneer League it may make more sense to try to get into Idaho Falls or Ogden. In AAA all of the options are probably better than the current situation, with Fresno likely the least popular option. Who knows maybe native New Yorker Stearns goes totally outside the box and gets the team into Rochester for AAA and a short-season team in New England.

Brewers

A’s

Rangers

Nationals

Fresno

Las Vegas

San Antonio

Nashville

Am I correct in saying that the biggest negative in any of these cities is Fresno having a super small/limited airport?

Archived