Brewer Fanatic

Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Latest: Upgrades confirmed in San Antonio's Stadium

crickets

http://gazette.com/email-suggests-developments-in-texas-could-move-sky-sox-out-of-colorado-springs/article/1567705

Should be a no brainer for the Brewers front office. Colorado Springs is a terrible place to have any affiliate especially AAA where you want your guys to perform well before making the jump to the big league roster. I know they got screwed from Nashville, but San Antonio would be much nicer for development purposes.

Edit: Sorry, realized this should've been posted in the Minor League

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This would be a good move for the minor-league franchise to make. San Antonio should be a more attractive place than Colorado Springs with its elevation issues. A move would likely be dependent upon San Antonio getting a new ballpark, though. If that happens, it would be nice to get in on that and not miss like in Nashville.

How about Green Bay or Sheboygan (half serious)? Whatever happened to this Missions?

That was my question. In the article, the Missions (AA team) would move to the new stadium built in Amarillo, freeing up San Antonio for a new team. I'd be all for it! Much closer to drive to see Brewers minor league teams.

Be careful of what you wish for. San Antonio is "big league". It's now the 25th largest market in the nation, and the city is the fastest growing of any of the top 10 in population. They are most prominently mentioned as alternative now for Raiders. If they land an NFL team, you can bet they'll be after a MLB team next. If they build a new stadium, I'm fairly certain if it isn't large enough for a major league team (and I'm guessing it will be), it will be structured in such a way that it can be expanded into one. Brewers attendance sure to drop considerably the next several years and with a thriving, growing market like San Antonio housing their AAA team we could start seeing rumors. Just sayin. Atlanta was home to Braves AA team for years and look how that turned out. Selig is no longer commish either and Attanasio has no real ties to Milwaukee despite his fan "letters". Then there's the Cubs who would love to swallow up the Milwaukee market again and might even put some games in an abandoned Miller Park if that happens to secure that and with no NL presence now in Texas, MLB owners might see the plusses to having one there too. If you don't think there is a danger "front running" type fans in Milwaukee that will see a booming Cub team the next decade while the Brewers become perennial losers and decide to switch sides, then you are naïve too.

I realize I'm the dinosaur on here always arguing that tanking to rebuild is a mistake. But the danger of a small market team like the Brewers tanking to rebuild always carries the risk alienating so many fans that the market no longer is viable. There's no expansion on the horizon. For a place like San Antonio that craves a franchise, the Brewers are one of the obvious targets and having them as the "parent" of a AAA franchise makes them even more likely to be in crosshairs.

Should be a no brainer to move if possible. Only worth of Colorado Springs is for the Rockies to prepare prospects for what Coors will be like. That's the only time fans went to games as well. No matter what, Brewers are gone after this year. Either find new club or move down to San Antonio..... Bad news is move is 1 year to late. Lopez, Hader, Houser, Wagner are going to face uphill battle this year

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Unfortunately the Brewers aren't very desirable. We've been dumped for the Pirates and A's in our last 2 locations. If this happens, San Antonio would seem like a no brainer to affliate with the Astros (who were left without a partner as well and ended up in Fresno for the last go around).

Not so fast John...here is some food for thought:

1. San Antonio's TV market is no better and even slightly worse depending on where you get your info.

2. While the population is larger I bet you would have a bigger fan base in Milwaukee. In Milwaukee you can pull the entire state where in San Antonio you would struggle to get out of town fans. They would probably draw more staying put where they are with their devoted fans. Good luck competing with two other already solid fanbases.

So a move to San Antonio would not make sense. There would be nothing to gain and much to lose.

Colorado Springs should be decent next season, plus the brewers should have a top 10 farm system, which would make them attractive to teams at the end of the 2016 season. I don't think the brewers will be stuck with the last available affiliate like they were in 2015. Therefore the San Antonio talk could be moot.

Does anyone have a link with affiliates up for renewal, i can't find one online.

Be careful of what you wish for. San Antonio is "big league".

Eh.....depends on who you ask. I lived there for 6 years. If you ask people who live there, they'd say it isn't big league. The biggest part of the problem with the stadium and attendance is that it's on the SW side of town. I lived on the NE side of town and it took 30-40 minutes with no traffic to get over there. It's a nice, decent stadium. But it's not as close as it could be to the population. They built a soccer stadium for a minor league soccer team, and they put it about 5 minutes from where I used to live, great turnout for games. Is San Antonio going to get a football team? My guess is probably not. I think they're being used as leverage and the Alamodome, while nice.....is 21 years old. Getting people behind building a new stadium when the one that was built for football (and it was tried for baseball exhibitions.....that was interesting) isn't really used other than for UTSA, the Alamo Bowl and football playoffs, might be a tough sell. I don't see having San Antonio as a AAA team as a big deal. If there ends up with a ML team in San Antonio, it's way down the road.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/minor-league-player-development-contracts/

Scroll to the bottom.

Maybe Toledo is getting sick of Detroit's mediocre system and interested in its franchises historical past as the old minor league Milwaukee Brewers? Not seeing much for options...

Thank you, from a brewers prospective, i think New Orleans would make the most sense. Miami has a bottom 5 system, plus its a former brewers affiliate. Close to Biloxi and Brevard County.

EDIT: I can't see Toledo leaving detroit no matter what. It would be as shocking as Wisconsin leaving the brewers as an affiliate.

If they land an NFL team, you can bet they'll be after a MLB team next. If they build a new stadium, I'm fairly certain if it isn't large enough for a major league team (and I'm guessing it will be), it will be structured in such a way that it can be expanded into one.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Brewers could move to San Antonio if the they build an NFL stadium and the rebuild takes too long?

There are so many things wrong with that but I'll just start by saying MLB wouldn't allow a franchise to move into a football stadium, no matter how new it is.

If they land an NFL team, you can bet they'll be after a MLB team next. If they build a new stadium, I'm fairly certain if it isn't large enough for a major league team (and I'm guessing it will be), it will be structured in such a way that it can be expanded into one.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Brewers could move to San Antonio if the they build an NFL stadium and the rebuild takes too long?

There are so many things wrong with that but I'll just start by saying MLB wouldn't allow a franchise to move into a football stadium, no matter how new it is.

I thought he was talking about if they construct a AAA stadium they would leave room for expansion. Similar to another stadium(Portland) that allowed increase to temporarily hold an MLB team while a real stadium is built.

I thought he was talking about if they construct a AAA stadium they would leave room for expansion. Similar to another stadium(Portland) that allowed increase to temporarily hold an MLB team while a real stadium is built.

I don't think anyone has a clue what he's trying to say. I took it as a minor league team in San Antonio would fail if they get an NFL team. Which makes zero sense since the minor league and NFL seasons overlap all of what, one week?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/minor-league-player-development-contracts/

Scroll to the bottom.

Maybe Toledo is getting sick of Detroit's mediocre system and interested in its franchises historical past as the old minor league Milwaukee Brewers? Not seeing much for options...

If the Brewers were willing to either invest in, or outright buy, one of the teams with expiring PDCs, they might be able to get who they want. Probably not likely to happen, but then again I've never understood why more teams don't do it. Columbus and Louisville both look intriguing to me, and both are two of the more valuable minor league franchises.

That's not what I said. But if they land an NFL team, they'll have an NBA team and an NFL team and would only lack a MLB team. Given that the Astros and Rangers both reside now in the AL, it would make sense for MLB to desire an NL presence and for San Antonio to build a baseball stadium to attract a team to complete their ascension to big league. As for television market, they'd have not just San Antonio market, but nearby Austin/Round Rock as well with a metro population of 2 million and growing rapidly as well.

A history lesson. The Boston Braves put their AAA team in Milwaukee, and when Milwaukee decided to build County Stadium to attract a big league team, Lou Perini, the Braves owner who was from Boston, got $ in his eyes as his floundering team was losing money in Boston. Had Perini not seen first hand what was going on in Milwaukee, then it's more likely the St. Louis Browns would have ended up here.

Oh, okay. But just because a city might get an NFL team doesn't mean they're also going to get an NBA team and an MLB team. It's just must more complicated than that. First teams either have to be available to buy and then have a friendly lease that is easily breakable so they can relocate or the league has to be in expansion mode.

I really don't care where the Brewers AAA team ends up or how long it's there as long as we can get out of Colorado Springs asap or any other park where it's almost impossible to judge what a player is doing based on the climate. It's one of the reasons I don't want the Brewers in the Florida State League either.

The problem is San Antonio isn't an obvious move for the better. I can see it being better. If you start losing in that market the games will start looking like Cleaveland Indian games. Even when you are winning good luck competing with to other teams that already control Texas.

Not to mention what are the chances the Astros AND Rangers agree to such an idea? Probably between -100% and -200%. NEVER in a million years would I ever expect this to happen. Honestly a Charlotte team would make a lot more sense if you ask me. Maybe even an Indianapolis team would make more sense than San Antonio. Heck even a Mexico team is more likely than San Antonio.

Archived