Brewer Fanatic

2016 OF Situation

yoshii8
I am on board with the rebuild , but I think it's disgusting that Jake Elmore is put in the lineup as a corner outfielder (more often than just an emergency). It's like when they put Alex Gonzalez and Yuni Bettencourt at first base. I kind of expect more from a major-league baseball team.

That's what you end up with on a team that's tanking. Nate Schierholtz was starting RF for Cubs for a couple years. Darwin Barney was their starting 2B.

It'll probably get worse before it gets better. You could probably get better OF out of the Atlantic League. Why not sign a Caleb Gindl?

Reality is Braun will be back this weekend worst case, Broxton is set in CF now and Santana will be up very soon. It sucks that Elmore is out there but it's only for a few games. When Santana is back it's a nice OF situation with Kirk, Perez, Flores backing up. At least Braun should be able to DH this weekend. Would have been nice to at least have Broxton/Santana in OF together with that happening but not sure if Santana is up this weekend yet or not

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, Elmore hasn't had hardly any starts outside of emergency role. Braun and Santana will both be back very soon, it seems. So what do you want to do? Bring Wren or Reed up for 2 games and then sit them on the bench or send them back down? Doesn't make any sense.

THAT'S why guys like Elmore, Wilkins, and other assorted yuck have been on the roster. Any player with potential is better off getting regular playing time in AAA. You can keep call it tanking, that's cute, but it's not what they're doing at all.

No, Elmore hasn't had hardly any starts outside of emergency role. Braun and Santana will both be back very soon, it seems. So what do you want to do? Bring Wren or Reed up for 2 games and then sit them on the bench or send them back down? Doesn't make any sense.

THAT'S why guys like Elmore, Wilkins, and other assorted yuck have been on the roster. Any player with potential is better off getting regular playing time in AAA. You can keep call it tanking, that's cute, but it's not what they're doing at all.

Don't put Braun and Santana in the same sentence. Santana's highly suspect at this point. I think the point was not so much to bring up untested rookies, but that there has to be more serviceable OF out there than Elmore or Flores or Wilkins to plug into a lineup on occasion. Why not try a Wren? He's not really a top prospect but maybe you have something there. Now's a perfect opportunity to find out.

Don't put Braun and Santana in the same sentence. Santana's highly suspect at this point. I think the point was not so much to bring up untested rookies, but that there has to be more serviceable OF out there than Elmore or Flores or Wilkins to plug into a lineup on occasion. Why not try a Wren? He's not really a top prospect but maybe you have something there. Now's a perfect opportunity to find out.

You're telling people not to put Braun and Santana in the same sentence when you drool over Khris Davis?

Him saying Braun and Santana will be back very soon joining Broxton means exactly what he meant it to mean - same as me before him. Those 3 are the best OF on the roster. And no, Santana isn't "highly suspect". You believe he is solely because he doesn't hit 30HR like your boy kHRis, which is why I don't understand your love fest for Wren when you have as much pop as him. Having Wren up for a few games is completely illogical and it's not even close to the perfect opportunity to find out what he has because he'd only be playing MAYBE 5 games - you already have guys like Kirk, Flores, Perez, Elmore on the roster filling in for that reason, as already stated. When Braun and Santana are back they're joining Broxton and those 3 will be the OF the rest of the season barring injury. The other dudes will barely play. Wren will compete for a backup spot next year with Reed. but once Brinson is ready then Broxton is moving to the 4th OF spot. Phillips up the year after most likely too. Wren isn't going to have opportunities unless a few guys go down for extended periods of time.

Sorry MKE81, we must have posted simultaneously above. Great minds think alike, and such. Yea Briggs, I don't know what you mean by this "same sentence" thing. In no way did I even imply Santana is (or will ever be) as talented as Braun.

It's about playing time, and Santana is young enough and put up big numbers last year to warrant playing every day this year once his rehab is complete.

Briggs, you called for Tyrone Taylor earlier this year- when he was really struggling I might add. Probably asked for Reed too, I can't recall to be fair. Now it's Wren and Gindl. Who's next? Krynzel?

• 4 weeks later...
it's too early to assess if keon broxton will be out long-term after crashing into the wall at wrigley field. club officials also have to consider that ryan braun will likely go on paternity leave next week for the birth of his second child.

It's been what at least a week since Colorado Springs played so I doubt anyone gets brought up but I wouldn't mind giving Brinson or Wren or Reed a week in the bigs. I guess we need to get ready for the Santana/Newendude/Elmore outfield we've all been clamoring for.

Why not just add Brinson and let him play out there for the remainder? Might be kind've fun!

Otherwise I bet this guy is available!

129095170.jpg

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

any reports on jake elmore's injury last night? if kirk nieuwenhuis can't be cleared to play yet, the brewers are extremely thin in outfield depth right now.

keon broxton could be put on the 60-day disabled list to open up a roster spot for a minor leaguer, or andy wilkins could be recalled.

Archived