Brewer Fanatic

2016 OF Situation

yoshii8
If Broxton was young keeping him down would make sense, but he is about to be 26 so it really doesn't matter. (Phillips should not be in Milwaukee this year).That said Flores is 23 and hit as well as Broxton last year in AAA without the K issues.

Good points all around. I really like Broxton a lot. He can go get it in CF and is a great baserunner. I'm extremely optimistic about his potential

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phillips will likely be up next year, so someone will get a one year chance to shine. I hope they give that shot to someone with some youth and upside. If they think Liriano can play CF, I'm fine with that, or I'm fine with Broxton there. I just don't want a guy like Kirk N. or Presley taking that spot. They might be the best option if the #1 priority is winning in 2016, but since the #1 priority should be seeing who will help us down the road, they shouldn't win the spot.

The Brewers have said they plan on keeping five OF, and Braun and Santana are locks, so they should be able to keep both Liriano and Flores. I think Broxton should only be up if he's the starting CF, otherwise, let him play everyday in AAA. If Broxton is in AAA, then I guess I'd go with Kirk N as the 5th OF as defensive replacement in CF.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think Broxton appears to be the guy who'll get a good look. He's the best defender in the mix, and has speed on the bases they like. But he's probably not a guy who's ready to start 150+ games in the majors. I believe Flores has the inside track as an extra OF too. He's going to get work spelling Braun and Santana who's likely going to have some slumps. I'd favor a veteran, either Nieuwenhuis or Presley as the 5th OF and a bench PH and somebody who'll get some some starts in CF if just to take some pressure off of Broxton.

Broxton is one of those Lorenzo Cain late bloomers. All the tools you could want, uber-athletic, but started out more of an athlete than a baseball player. He will only improve with AB's. Let him play this year, next year once Phillips is ready, he can be the nearly everyday Parra type 4th OF....him or Reed

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

If they don't want one of Flores/Broxton/Liriano, my next pick would be Reed. This may be his last season to get a legit look at the MLB level before Phillips shows up. Not to mention guys like Coulter, Taylor, Roache, etc. on the horizon. Not saying all (or any) of those guys will make it to MLB, but there's certainly a log jam. That will work itself out the next couple years, but point being Reed will soon get lost in the shuffle if he doesn't get his shot this year.

Either Roache ot Coulter (or both) need a 1B glove to add to their locker in the next year, unless Braun is traded or Santana falls flat on his face, neither of those guys have much of a future on our club. Coulter I really like and understand he has a big arm but if his pat lives up to potential, he needs a spot. AA will be a big year for him.Tyrone needs to bounce back big in AA this season.

Reed looks like he won't be much of a CF option soon with how big he is getting. He is still a great athlete but not sure he projects much there anymore.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I was at Spring Training last week excited to watch Liriano, Broxton, Flores run around and hit. Liriano in my mind is a corner OF but he's capable of filling in at CF. Broxton is the best defensive CF of the 3 as that's his natural position and he has the speed that Flores doesn't (I'm actually surprised that Liriano has stolen that many bases in the minors - watching him move in person he just doesn't look like he can run as well as his numbers indicate - it's weird to me). I put Broxton/Flores in the same boat - they're both the 3rd/4th OF and will both get majority of time in CF with Broxton as first option. Flores will double as a backup 1b and should be a very good lefty bat off the bench. The 5th OF, for me, has to be Liriano. EY, Presley, Kirk you know what you're getting and none will be trade chips and would be a waste of a spot for a 5th OF. Liriano has a better bat than them all and this would be a good use of that 5th OF spot taking a chance on him to pan out as he has upside. Walsh and Perez will be in the IF if they decide to have Rivera play every day in AAA, which they should.

Flores will be 24 in a few days, just as a FYI. He isn't fast enough to play center, but I do think he will be on the roster. Broxton has played well enough to make the team and is as close as we have to a legitimate CF.

Either Roache ot Coulter (or both) need a 1B glove to add to their locker in the next year, unless Braun is traded or Santana falls flat on his face, neither of those guys have much of a future on our club. Coulter I really like and understand he has a big arm but if his pat lives up to potential, he needs a spot. AA will be a big year for him.Tyrone needs to bounce back big in AA this season.

Reed looks like he won't be much of a CF option soon with how big he is getting. He is still a great athlete but not sure he projects much there anymore.

I agree with all that. Not suggesting in any way a spot needs to be cleared for any of those AA/AAA outfielders at this point. I'm just saying if Reed doesn't get a shot this year, it may very well never happen- at least with the Brewers. For now, I don't think it's necessary to project Reed as CF or LF. As a reserve, he could play plenty of both. But it seems inevitable he'll be packaged in a trade.

Niewenhuis has fanned 15 times in 32 ABs this spring. He had inside track but that kind of performance in Arizona doesn't bode well for his chances. I think the 4 OF locks look to be Braun, Santana, Broxton and Flores. The 5th spot is up for grabs. It could be someone in someone else's camp right now.

Broxton with more BB than K is very impressive. I was quite skeptical but with not great options, he might deserve a look in the leadoff spot.

Thoughts and prayers going out to Liriano after getting hit in the face with a pitch. The Brewers' site is saying he will start the year on the DL, which I think virtually assures that the Opening Day starting OF will be Braun (LF), Broxton (CF), Santana (RF).

Flores will likely get a spot as backup OF/1B, leaving the final spot down to probably Presley and Niewenhuis. Presley is the better bat, while Niewenhuis is the better defender. Presley has logged 63 MLB games in CF over his six seasons, so he could be a backup there if they're comfortable with Broxton playing nearly every day, and of course Santana could fill in as CF here and there if they decide to go with Presley.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Braun-Broxton-Santana Thats the strongest OF right now and at Broxton's age you don't worry about burning options and none of the no option brigade has outplayed him.

The bench will be Flores and I am assuming Presley because he would be the better PH, which is all you'd need a 5th OF for right now.

which is all you'd need a 5th OF for right now

Yeah, I think that if Liriano was the starting CF, it would make sense to have a defensive replacement on the bench, but no need for that if Broxton's starting.

~Bill Walsh

Love Broxton, but he has options so I think he starts at AAA. Kirk (who has no options) will be main CF with Flores and Liriano as the backups in the OF to go with Braun and Santana starting in the corners.

There is absolutely no way Broxton starts in AAA. He's starting in CF opening day for the Brewers. He's outproduced all other OFs competing for a spot - by a lot. More BBs than Ks, leads cactus league in SBs, only legit defensive CF of the group (I don't count Kirk because he sucks overall and shouldn't make the team). Braun, Broxton, Santana will start. Flores is the top backup and will see a bit of time at 1b too. Liriano is on the DL so the 5th OF spot should be between EY and Presley; both have outplayed Kirk by a mile. Reality is the 5th OF isn't going to be playing much. Limited starts as Flores will be first off bench and limited pinch hits as you'll have Walsh and Flores first up. If I'm making the decision I choose EY because he provides speed on the bases late in games - there's no legit speed off the bench at this point. He can contribute mightily running - or even pinch hitting but solely bunting a guy into position. There's lack of power off the bench but it's not as if Kirk or Presley would be great options for a pinch hit HR therefore I would go the speed route given this team will be more aggressive on the bases in general. If not EY then Presley for sure. Kirk should be cut. OR a better external option will exist, which we can't speak of at the moment.

Broxton has to make the team now.

Between Kirk, EY, and Presley I think you just flip a coin. I would give EY the edge because of his defensive versatility and switch hitting but his bat is brutal. Like Segura brutal. Kirk and Presley have put up pretty similar career MLB numbers - 94 and 92 OPS+ respectively. Neither has had a great dWar but Kirk's is at least positive and he does have one good season of hitting to his credit. As long as they don't straight platoon and give Broxton only 25ish% of the PA I don't think it really matters who they go with.

Since Flores and Santana can fill in at CF, I would rather see Middlebrooks make the team since he has a small shot to be some part of the future, much more than Presely, Nieuwenhuis, or EY. If Broxton flails, you send him down and bring up Wren for his likely only shot.

Since Flores and Santana can fill in at CF, I would rather see Middlebrooks make the team since he has a small shot to be some part of the future, much more than Presely, Nieuwenhuis, or EY. If Broxton flails, you send him down and bring up Wren for his likely only shot.

Middlebrooks isn't making much of a case. My guess is he'll be gone or sent to minor league camp by this weekend.

I tend to agree. If you keep Walsh, he has OF experience (86 games in the minors). I have no idea how good he is out there, but he gives you that 5th OF if needed during a game. Then your lineup/bench could be:

C Lucroy

1B Carter

2B Gennett

3B Hill

SS Villar

LF Braun

CF Broxton

RF Santana

C Maldonaldo

1B/3B Middlebrooks

UTIL Rivera

2B/OF Walsh

OF Flores

Besides Presley and Nieuwenhuis, I wouldn't rule out EYJ. If the Brewers think he can hack it in CF, he can also play on the infield, which lends itself to the club's recent fascination with versatility.

Good point. Young has some value as a PR too. I think the 5th OF battle goes down to the final weekend between Nieuwenhuis, Presley and Young. Shane Peterson certainly appears to be odd man out at this point.

I suspect we'll see some more trimming on the off day tomorrow since there are no more split squad games and they'll want starters to start seeing regular time.

Just read on MLB trade rumors that David Murphy, currently in Red Sox camp, will likely opt out of his minor league deal if he doesn't make the team. Murphy's certainly a superior bat to the group vying for the 5th OF spot on the Brewers.

I tend to agree. If you keep Walsh, he has OF experience (86 games in the minors). I have no idea how good he is out there, but he gives you that 5th OF if needed during a game. Then your lineup/bench could be:

C Lucroy

1B Carter

2B Gennett

3B Hill

SS Villar

LF Braun

CF Broxton

RF Santana

C Maldonaldo

1B/3B Middlebrooks

UTIL Rivera

2B/OF Walsh

OF Flores

Let's flip it and replace EY with Middlebrooks. EY is a 5th OF and can also fill in at 2b so he covers an IF spot (no need for Walsh to hit the OF). Middlebrooks is the worst performing IF of everyone in camp and isn't even hitting better than any of the OFs either. He's not getting on base, which is consistent with his last 3 MLB seasons. Not that EY is an on base machine but he gets on base more and serves a multi-defensive purpose role if needed and will swipe bags late in games to get us in scoring position. That alone fills a great need and keeps the best pinch hitters still in their role late. Middlebrooks will be the last person off the bench to hit so I don't see what purpose he serves making the team and us keeping 3 IF when how often will he actually contribute as a #3-4 pinch hitter in a single game. He won't play 3b over Walsh, who makes contact and gets on base. Or Rivera is he's on the team. If EY doesn't make it then I'd hope it's Presley as he at least makes contact vs Kirk/Middlebrooks.

Just read on MLB trade rumors that David Murphy, currently in Red Sox camp, will likely opt out of his minor league deal if he doesn't make the team. Murphy's certainly a superior bat to the group vying for the 5th OF spot on the Brewers.

While I agree he's a better player than the 3 OFs we're discussing taking the 5th spot I don't think it makes sense to add him as that could take time away from guys like Broxton, Flores who need to be able to showcase their skills at this level. If everything works out moving forward with Braun, Phillips, Santana then Broxton or Flores become trade bait for a prospect while the other stays as our 4th OF. Or both become trade bait and Reed is the 4th OF (most likely to happen). He would also take pinch hit opportunities away from Walsh as well and he also needs to play to showcase his abilities at this level. He can stick as good career backup no doubt. Murphy is also 34 and not sure he'd be fine rarely playing holding a spot as a 5th OF. I'm sure some other team can use him as a 4th OF

If Colin Walsh has OF experience I'd use him as 5th OF/backup 2B. With Rivera playing well He's gotta be your SS/3b backup to Villar/Hill. Now you have Wilkins backup 1b/Main Pinch-hitter if HR needed vs Walsh if baserunner needed. Middlebrooks is an afterthought like Kirk/Presly. You have a extra Pitcher in your bullpen. Based on Peralta/Anderson ST. You may need to pitch 5-6Innings of relief on their starts. And Blazek that former long man has some bettering to do to feel comfortable covering extra innings.

Archived