Brewer Fanatic

2016 OF Situation

yoshii8
Any chance Liriano, and not Santana, is starting in RF come opening day? I know the theory behind the Davis trade is it opens up a spot for Santana, and it's probably his job to lose but if Liriano has a much better spring, and CF job goes to Broxton/Nieuwenhuis based on defense, could Santana (with an option remaining) be the odd man out?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's certainly possible if they decide they want to retain as much depth as possible. The no-options squad of Nieuwenhuis/Liriano/Flores (plus Walsh) could all conceivably be opening day Brewers that way.

That said, Santana would probably have to have a very poor spring not to break camp with the club. I still think Nieuwenhuis is the odd man out, Walsh makes the club ostensibly as the 5th outfielder, and Broxton's available option works against him and he goes to AAA.

Ok you guys want me to provide positives? Flores might be the best 4th OF in the division by the end of the season. Of course he'll likely be starting for the Brewers by then. Other than the Segura trade, I loved the Sardinas for Flores.

Broxton: 967 career strikeouts compared to 762 career hits. That's not encouraging. Sorry.

I know you guys get a sense of great accomplishment and pride in your team when it's system is highly rated. I don't. I view baseball as entertainment 162 times a year. When I'm not entertained by my team, I'm cranky. That's what happens when you get to my age. I don't see much entertainment for 6 months starting in April.

The entertainment will come from Biloxi, Wisconsin, Brevard County, and Helena and the MLB draft. I am not including Colorado Springs because I despise that we are located there though Arcia and Phillips will be and they are potentially special.

Milwaukee will be the opposite of entertainment if you are into good baseball. If a 4th/5th OF who can draw walks, hits for no power, no speed, and plays average D is entertaining, knock yourself out.

That's certainly possible if they decide they want to retain as much depth as possible. The no-options squad of Nieuwenhuis/Liriano/Flores (plus Walsh) could all conceivably be opening day Brewers that way.

That said, Santana would probably have to have a very poor spring not to break camp with the club. I still think Nieuwenhuis is the odd man out, Walsh makes the club ostensibly as the 5th outfielder, and Broxton's available option works against him and he goes to AAA.

I've been thinking in terms of Braun, Santana, Liriano, Flores, and Broxton as the five OFs with Walsh as more of an IF. Does that not work roster-wise? I guess it doesn't if we keep Hill, because we still need Rivera as a backup ss. So from at least one angle, Hill is blocking Broxton (assuming Walsh fits as an IF). I don't love that. I understand that we're paying Hill and people think maybe we can flip him, but I think he's toast and dead weight. I know Broxton has an option, but he's old for a prospect; I'd like to see what he can do sooner rather than later.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Any chance Liriano, and not Santana, is starting in RF come opening day? I know the theory behind the Davis trade is it opens up a spot for Santana, and it's probably his job to lose but if Liriano has a much better spring, and CF job goes to Broxton/Nieuwenhuis based on defense, could Santana (with an option remaining) be the odd man out?

It's possible, but unlikely. I suppose Santana could go into a massive funk during camp - strikeout 50% of the time or something like that. Combine that with other guys like Broxton/Nieuwenhuis/Liriano/Flores doing well - the team could send Santana to AAA to get his game together.

I suppose Santana could go into a massive funk during camp - strikeout 50% of the time or something like that.

I think a "massive funk" would have to be occurring in the eyes of the powers that be: the coaches, Craig Counsell, Matt Arnold, and David Stearns. I wouldn't use box score stats; the sample is too small, and there are too many variables in spring training that we don't see during the regular season. Using strikeouts as an example, I wouldn't use a high number to send him down unless the underlying reason is something that causes concern.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Santana isn't going anywhere. Whether you like him or now, now is the time to see what this kid is made of. He could be a booming star or a guy that just strikes out too much to produce anything. This is the perfect season to find that out.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I suppose Santana could go into a massive funk during camp - strikeout 50% of the time or something like that.

I think a "massive funk" would have to be occurring in the eyes of the powers that be: the coaches, Craig Counsell, Matt Arnold, and David Stearns. I wouldn't use box score stats; the sample is too small, and there are too many variables in spring training that we don't see during the regular season. Using strikeouts as an example, I wouldn't use a high number to send him down unless the underlying reason is something that causes concern.

How about just 'playing really crappy'.

Sorry if my example confused the point.

I get all that, but my point is Liriano and Flores are both out of options and Santana has one. It was thought earlier that Flores wouldn't be ready to start the year. Liriano is only a year older than Santana, and has been rated high as #39, while Santana highest rating was #71 last year.

It's now or never for Liriano more so than it is for Santana. Sure he could play CF, but that's not his best position either and there's multiple other guys in the hunt there too. If he has a strong spring, he'll have to be on roster or he'll be lost on waivers. Flores, too, if healthy is almost assured of roster spot, given his option status and his much needed LH bat. If they went with Liriano and optioned Santana, and Liriano struggles, then they stand a much better chance of getting him through waivers.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this in another thread, but Fangraphs today has a pretty optimistic piece up about Santana:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/domingo-santana-as-george-springer/

Something to hope on, at least.

Which is exactly why he needs a long look to see what upside he can reach. We are the perfect team for him this year.

• 2 weeks later...
To me the OF situation seems to be mostly set, with Braun in LF, Broxton/Flores in CF, and Santana in RF. I think the final spot will go to one of Nieuwenhuis or Liriano. I'm hoping Liriano get's hot and makes the team. Seems to have more upside, and the friendship between him and Santana is a cool story.

To me the OF situation seems to be mostly set, with Braun in LF, Broxton/Flores in CF, and Santana in RF. I think the final spot will go to one of Nieuwenhuis or Liriano. I'm hoping Liriano get's hot and makes the team. Seems to have more upside, and the friendship between him and Santana is a cool story.

I wouldn't completely count out Alex Presley who looks to have an edge right now over Shane Peterson among non-roster LH bats. I really think Liriano has to clearly beat out Broxton and so far he's not doing that. Broxton's the better glove.

They might be able to sneak Liriano through waivers if his overall spring isn't very good because claiming teams would have same issue with him out of options and most teams will have set their opening day rosters.

I'd be pretty disappointed if it comes down to letting Liriano go in favor of Nieuwenhuis or Presley. I'd much rather use a bench spot this year on a 24 year old with potential than a 28/30 year old who won't play enough to gain any trade potential.

I see Nieuwenhuis being kept for a 5th OFer. He has no further upside; you know exactly what you will get from him. He was brought in in case everyone else flops. Since they aren't, I doubt they really need him.

If they keep a 5th OFer, it would be for the upside potential (Liriano), but I can't remember the last time they kept a 5th OFer. And JB has a good point that he might make it through waivers at this time of the year.

I'd be pretty disappointed if it comes down to letting Liriano go in favor of Nieuwenhuis or Presley. I'd much rather use a bench spot this year on a 24 year old with potential than a 28/30 year old who won't play enough to gain any trade potential.

Exactly. Broxton, Flores, and Liriano are all younger and worth finding out what they can do. If one or more succeed, you either have pieces that can be used in rebuilding, or traded. Either way, more upside with those 3.

As far as carrying 5 OFs, remember Flores will most likely backup 1B as well.

Braun and Santana are rock solid locks to be starters (I mean......it goes without saying for Braun)

I'd really like to see Broxton, Liriano, and Flores make the team. They are guys with a shot at being something in the future. Flores can see some at bats at first base, and whoever isn't the starter in CF (ostensibly Liriano) will also get playing time backing up both Braun and Santana and CF. Plenty of at bats for all these young guys.

I think Eric Young, Jr will be the 5th OF

Please no! This is the complete opposite of what they should be doing. A 30 yr old OF with a .464 OPS last season?!?! .642 for his career? Pretty clear he was an insurance guy if they had a rash of injuries, didn't like what they saw from the young guys, etc. If EYJ makes the 25, then I honestly don't know what the plan is here. (And don't tell me he can always be traded. He is what he is at age 30, which isn't much. No upside like the younger guys.

Can't we put Broxton in AAA and Phillips in AA to stockpile talent? Santana, Braun, Flores, Liriano and decide whether you want to keep Peterson, Newb, or Pressley. Broxton is playing great, but 1) its spring training, and 2) he has an option. I would love to have Braun go off in the first half and trade him at the deadline. At that point you move Flores to left and Broxton comes up to play CF and move Phillips to AAA.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Can't we put Broxton in AAA and Phillips in AA to stockpile talent?

They could do that, and I would be fine with it. (Only because that doesn't mean Phillips has to stay in AA all year, or even half the year. Or Broxton can't come up at some point in the season.)

I would be fine either way, but would prefer to see Broxton start in CF. This is a year for guys like him, Flores, Liriano, Villar, Rivera. Not our top prospects, but all guys worth getting a long look at MLB level.

See no reason to hold Phillips or Broxton back. They are priority prospects. You need to see what you have in Broxton and Phillips outside of power numbers proved he doesn't need to be in AA. You don't hold back your top prospects so marginal prospects can play ahead of them. Guys like Wren should be dropped back down to AA over guys like Phillips

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Please no! This is the complete opposite of what they should be doing. A 30 yr old OF with a .464 OPS last season?!?! .642 for his career? Pretty clear he was an insurance guy if they had a rash of injuries, didn't like what they saw from the young guys, etc. If EYJ makes the 25, then I honestly don't know what the plan is here. (And don't tell me he can always be traded. He is what he is at age 30, which isn't much. No upside like the younger guys.

If Rivera doesn't make the team I could see EY sticking around since he's also an infielder.

Helps the team long term if a few others can be kept in AAA, preventing their clock from starting. There is also the chance that EY Jr has a strong comeback year and can be traded at the deadline (not likely but possible). Young is a veteran who might adapt better to a pinch-hitting role than a younger player, too

I'm not saying that I personally would keep EY Jr on the MLB roster, just saying I could see it happen. It is also conceivable that EY Jr would accept an assignment to AAA ball, too.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

If Broxton was young keeping him down would make sense, but he is about to be 26 so it really doesn't matter. (Phillips should not be in Milwaukee this year).That said Flores is 23 and hit as well as Broxton last year in AAA without the K issues.

Archived