Brewer Fanatic

2016 OF Situation

yoshii8

I thought batting order "protection" didn't matter.

Can of worms opened... I'm out of here :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I can promise you there is not a pitcher in the league that would rather face Braun than Carter.

No one is arguing that. Its comparing Braun's lineup protection. Who "protects" him better? Carter or Ramirez? And for the last few years, that has been close. So the expectation is that it won't change much.

But more likely that Davis is hitting behind Braun (assuming he isn't traded).

I thought batting order "protection" didn't matter.

Can of worms opened... I'm out of here :-)

Fair enough :) My point wasnt to get into a detailed discussion on protection but rather a this team is going to stink comment.

Braun will get his. He always will. That's what hitters of his quality do. They are consistent. Carter will smoke a few balls into the seats and people will enjoy the show. Otherwise, who cares? It's a crappy team unless somehow 2-3 pitchers are diamond in the rough aces.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Otherwise, who cares?

All of us fanatical die-hard, arm-chair GM fans. :)

Yeah I'm one of them but there just isn't a better option out there right now moving forward. Now, if a guy were to happen to come over in a trade via Lucroy, Davis, Smith, or whoever, great. But right now, Carter is a very acceptable short term first basement for the Brewers.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A lot depends on whether or not Braun is still here. Unless injuries completely derail him, I'd put money on Braun not being here for the start of the 2019 season. I also think Trent Clark is going to get to the big leagues a lot faster than most HS draft picks. So my prediction is Clark-Phillips-Santana, but the degree of confidence in that prediction is extremely low.

It is only a matter of time for Davis to be traded. Could be this winter still, could be at the deadline. Could be a year from now. In the meantime Santana can be a 4th OF.

It is possible that Braun is dealt too.

Once Maverick Phillips is ready, both Davis & Braun will likely be gone.

I really like Broxton's potential.

I wish I could say the same, but his numbers just aren't very impressive. He's gotten on base at a nice clip but that may have more to do with his inability to put the ball in play and thus resulting in deep counts. He stolen a few bases in the minors but his success rate isn't great. He's got some power but with the strikeout rate he's put up, he needs to be a 30+ HR guy to justify being an everyday player and I don't see that. If he were 22 or 23 I could buy the potential angle, but he'll be 26 in early May. Take a look at the numbers Nieuwenhuis put up in the minors through his age 25 season and tell me Broxton's were better. Nieuwenhuis has a positive WAR in the big leagues. Not much of one but among a group of replacement level types, that says something.

Can I ask, in this thread, what the best prediction is for what this OF looks like in 3 years? I mean do we have the guys that we think will stick for several years?

very hard to predict, I think Phillips will be playing center in 3 years. I would hope that Santana is playing left. Will braun be on the team in 3 years?, who knows. They also have top prospects in Taylor and Clark.

I think it all depends on development. How good is Santana over the next two seasons mixed with how promising Coulter (who if it wasn't for his golden top of the line arm would give us a true 1B prospect) Harrison, Clark, Demi, Taylor and others are. I think a 2020 as of today with what we have

LF Trent Clark

CF Brett Phillips

RF Monte Harrison

1B Clint Coulter

2B Bethencourt/McFarland/ Mallen/ Lara (Weeks type of bat if Gatewood and him both become studs)/ Diaz or Collymore (both can play 2B) or anyone else you can fill in

SS Orlando Arcia

3B Lara/Gatewood

C Dustin Houle/ Carlos Leal/ Johel Atencio/ Jose Sibrian

Now a million things can change by 2019-2020 but as of now this is what we kind of have. I love the thought of having 3 CFers in the outfield. All very athletic with 2 having plus arms, Clark has enough arm but it is average

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

one bloggers opinion on this very topic, of course this lineup has projected trades so take it for what its worth.

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2016/1/14/10705232/projecting-the-2019-milwaukee-brewers

That roster is going to beat the 2019 Cubs who'll have Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Heyward, Russell all still in their primes and no doubt some major arms they'll simply buy on the open market?

Dream on!

one bloggers opinion on this very topic, of course this lineup has projected trades so take it for what its worth.

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2016/1/14/10705232/projecting-the-2019-milwaukee-brewers

That roster is going to beat the 2019 Cubs who'll have Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Heyward, Russell all still in their primes and no doubt some major arms they'll simply buy on the open market?

Dream on!

Did you like read the article? Was that ever the claim? Umm no. Said 2019 the contention window should just be opening.

Dream on!

Did you like read the article? Was that ever the claim? Umm no. Said 2019 the contention window should just be opening.

Unless two of those pitchers turn out to be aces, that roster won't ever be any better than longshot contenders, something they always have the ability to do if they play their cards right and don't tear down the roster like they are doing now. Just that presently they appear intent on insuring that they'll have zero chance between now and then. They stand as good of chance at developing two aces with the draft picks they have this year and the guys they have in their system as they do by trading away all their remaining big league talent anyway. This is all a shell game and a fantasy that I'm not buying. Sorry.

Unless two of those pitchers turn out to be aces, that roster won't ever be any better than longshot contenders, something they always have the ability to do if they play their cards right and don't tear down the roster like they are doing now. Just that presently they appear intent on insuring that they'll have zero chance between now and then. They stand as good of chance at developing two aces with the draft picks they have this year and the guys they have in their system as they do by trading away all their remaining big league talent anyway. This is all a shell game and a fantasy that I'm not buying. Sorry.

I don't know why I'm still responding, but why are you posting on here still if you're this angry about the current plan that almost everyone else seems to be on board with?

You're selling us a fantasy in other posts of trading for Charlie Blackmon, Alfredo Simon, and other washed-up vets to try to beat the current Cubs...so, there's that.

This is all a shell game and a fantasy that I'm not buying. Sorry.

Briggs, I honestly am one who likes reading your posts. I wish you would write a book on the history of the Brewers, and I would be first in line to buy it. But recently you have become awfully grumpy about Brewer management, and I can't understand what you are hoping will occur.

The Brewers had a mediocre farm system and an MLB team with an overbudget payroll that was likely losing the owners money while sitting near the bottom of the standings. For years, they had been getting older and more expensive, while signing band-aid free agents trying to beat the long odds against them making the playoffs. At some point, they had to realize that they needed to change tack before it was too late. They got lucky that Gomez and Lucroy became superstars after signing team-friendly deals, making them two excellent trade chips. What they alone bring back to the team could make us relevant again sooner rather than later. Holding on to them to free agency would have left the future of the team in shambles. So, since they decided to start at least something of a rebuild, why would they hold onto guys like Lind and K-Rod? Might as well get something that might help in the future for guys who are only here short-term.

No one likes to lose, but recent moves (including changing draft strategy a couple years ago) at least give us a shimmer of hope that brighter days are ahead, which is something I haven't been able to say about this team since the 2011 season ended. This is the season to let young talent play, and bring in guys whose value has dropped to see if they can rebound. Most won't, but maybe one or two will. This is not the year to sign more "Loshe-type" deals, bringing in second-tier MLB talent in hopes of winning a couple more games. By the time the real talent comes up (Arcia, Phillips, and hopefully someone in a Lucroy trade), they have figured out what they have in guys like Davies, Jungmann, Santana, Broxton, Cecchini, etc. They will then be able to add supplementary pieces to replace those that don't work out.

We are in an inevitable stage of the game, and I like the way Stearns is handling it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Dream on!

Those guys can't pitch.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 4 weeks later...

today's trade of khris davis likely paints a clearer picture of the 2016 outfield.

on one side, it opens up a 40-man roster spot that could be claimed by eric young, jr. (or another player).

on another side, it increases the likelihood that three players, all of whom are out of minor league options, all make the club: ramon flores, rymer liriano and kirk nieuwenhuis.

Ok, I keep reading from the defenders of Stearns stuff like "Well Santana will be more productive than Davis" and that they "had to find a spot for him" as a defense for not getting more back for Davis. Really?

Even the most strident supporters of Santana when he was acquired thought the big advantage of playing him in CF was to evaluate whether or not he could handle major league pitching to the point where it made sense to move either Davis or Braun. Nobody really knows for sure on him. What's changed since last year other than an awful few dozen games in winter ball. Now he's going to be out there with no net whatsoever and counted on to produce like a corner OF? Man it stinks being a fan of this team right now. For the first time in I don't know how long, I'm not looking forward to a baseball season. I'm sure I'll have plenty of "I told you so" moments, but I enjoy baseball for the entertainment value of it and frankly I don't expect this season to be the least bit entertaining.

Man it stinks being a fan of this team right now. For the first time in I don't know how long, I'm not looking forward to a baseball season. I'm sure I'll have plenty of "I told you so" moments, but I enjoy baseball for the entertainment value of it and frankly I don't expect this season to be the least bit entertaining.

This is just having a pretty bad attitude man. Of course we would all love to be heading towards the season feeling as though this year could be the year we finally win the prize but no matter if we stood pat and added players or traded them all away like we are attempting to do, it wasn't in the cards and it probably wouldn't have been for this group of guys. They are still missing pitching badly. People are excited to see that we are moving towards the next group of players and hopefully we find that group of pitchers that we need to win the who dang thing. Everyone on this board will have the "I told you moments" but the great thing about this board is that we don't have a lot of people that want to flaunt that around. It makes discussion here all that much greater. Cheer up man, it'll all be okay. Give Stearns a chance to prove his plan could work.

Archived