Brewer Fanatic

2016 OF Situation

yoshii8

I was thinking about our current OF situation, and it seems like we have a lot of guys with only 5 spots out there. Who do you think is going to make it out of the group? Do you think we'll see Khris Davis or potentially Braun dealt? Or will the guys with options remaining like, Reed, Peterson and Santana, just get sent down?

Davis

Braun

Santana

Niewenheus

Flores

Broxton

Reed

Peterson

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I honestly think the best option is to have Santana as the "Starter" in CF, but to move him to the corners to spell Davis and Braun often. If that's the case, the other two outfielders on the bench will have to be able to cover center. By the end of the year, I see Davis gone and Reed in CF.

Really? Davis is a proven big time power guy in the major leagues coming off a two month stretch where he blasted 20 HR. Santana is not and went 83 AB's in winter ball without a single HR. There are huge questions whether Santana can handle major league pitching. He's had some big numbers in the minors but after starting with a flourish right after the trade, he struggled.

As it sits right now, I believe it will be Davis, Broxton, Braun with Niewenheus and one of Flores/Reed/Peterson as the backups. In this scenario, Santana would go to AAA to be an everyday starter, called up either for injury replacement, or when someone is traded mid-season.

I still think that one of Braun or Davis will be dealt this offseason. I think the Brewers would like that to be Braun, but that may not be an easy trade to make, so Davis is more likely to be the one dealt, opening up a corner OF spot for Santana. Note that this will only be if Stearns can find a trade that will bring back a lot of value for Davis, who is a valuable trade chip. The Brewers will not just give away Braun or Davis to open a spot for Santana.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Really? Davis is a proven big time power guy in the major leagues coming off a two month stretch where he blasted 20 HR. Santana is not and went 83 AB's in winter ball without a single HR. There are huge questions whether Santana can handle major league pitching. He's had some big numbers in the minors but after starting with a flourish right after the trade, he struggled.

That was all addressed in the article. The author did a pretty good job of describing the strengths and weaknesses of both, and as the title implies, why it isn't an easy decision for Stearns to trade away Davis to make room for Santana, which seems to be the prevailing belief among fans and media, myself included.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I was thinking about our current OF situation, and it seems like we have a lot of guys with only 5 spots out there. Who do you think is going to make it out of the group? Do you think we'll see Khris Davis or potentially Braun dealt? Or will the guys with options remaining like, Reed, Peterson and Santana, just get sent down?

Davis

Braun

Santana

Niewenheus

Flores

Broxton

Reed

Peterson

You didn't even list non-roster invites Alex Presley and Eric Young Jr who probably are as accomplished as most of the rostered guys which isn't saying much. I still say Brewers don't have a starting major league CF in the bunch. I see a lot of guys on the level of Logan Schafer. I'd have been fine with trying Santana there, if only to give him a chance to prove he can hit major league pitching and assuming no further acquisitions, I don't see why not still do that. If you're going to deal Davis you better know that Santana is capable. The jury is still out on that. I suspect Stearns who was still with Houston when they traded Santana might not be all that high on him either.

I'm know I'm alone but I'd still be looking for a bona fide major league CF and I wouldn't be afraid to use arm or an excess young OF in a deal to get one, maybe even Santana if you aren't sure he's an everyday major leaguer. I brought up Charlie Blackmon in another thread who's granted a Coors field hitter but better than any of these mopes in the running for CF. Blackmon's the type of guy who if he proved he could hit out of Coors would bring back more than it takes to get him.

I think the difficult decision is more a long term thing. Do they want to keep Kris around for the next window or trade him when the value is high and roll the dice with Santana. Part of the calculus will be what sort of package they could get for Davis, and when they seriously expect the MLB roster to be competitive.

If they were both on the MLB roster, no way would you start Santana over Davis right now.

As it sits right now, I believe it will be Davis, Broxton, Braun with Niewenheus and one of Flores/Reed/Peterson as the backups. In this scenario, Santana would go to AAA to be an everyday starter, called up either for injury replacement, or when someone is traded mid-season.

I still think that one of Braun or Davis will be dealt this offseason. I think the Brewers would like that to be Braun, but that may not be an easy trade to make, so Davis is more likely to be the one dealt, opening up a corner OF spot for Santana. Note that this will only be if Stearns can find a trade that will bring back a lot of value for Davis, who is a valuable trade chip. The Brewers will not just give away Braun or Davis to open a spot for Santana.

Broxton's advantage over guys like Nieuwenhuis, Presley and Young is that he's hasn't got a checkered major league record. But he also has severe contact issues though showed some improvement in that area last year while sacrificing a bit of power. I'd be wary of a guy who's almost 26 and has only made the briefest of major league appearances. Yeah he was blocked by some good players in Pittsburgh but his numbers didn't force his way on to a roster either.

If I had to guess, barring another acquisition, I believe Nieuwenhuis gets the bulk of CF time. He's lefthanded with a career OPS close to .700, and a AAA OPS of .839, That stands out among this group.

There are just so many floating parts it is difficult to say and I don't think DS is limiting himself to one option like trading Khris Davis for example. My guess is if Davis/Braun is not traded that Santana goes to AAA and Broxton is the main CF. I also have a hunch that Flores is not ready by opening day so Peterson sticks around until at least Flores returns, which will include the maximum allowable rehab assignment. Niewenheus sticks for now as well. Reed plays full time in AAA. Eric Young is intriguing but don't think he plays CF good enough to make the team.

There are just so many floating parts it is difficult to say and I don't think DS is limiting himself to one option like trading Khris Davis for example. My guess is if Davis/Braun is not traded that Santana goes to AAA and Broxton is the main CF. I also have a hunch that Flores is not ready by opening day so Peterson sticks around until at least Flores returns, which will include the maximum allowable rehab assignment. Niewenheus sticks for now as well. Reed plays full time in AAA. Eric Young is intriguing but don't think he plays CF good enough to make the team.

The number of floating parts all over this roster is amazing. The rotation and catching positions seem predictable but even then things could well change. The OF, IF and bullpen are completely up for grabs. There's probably 5 guys contesting for 3B job and backup corner IF. There's probably a dozen guys with fighting chances to be one of 7 in the bullpen. It's a pretty safe bet that either Broxton or Santana makes the roster but not both with the one surviving likely being used primarily vs. LHP. I would have give Broxton a better shot at mostly full time CF job before the Carter signing but how many seriously contact challenged RH hitters can they have in the lineup day to day?

Stearns is shaking things up, but Counsell and his coaches are going to really be challenged in spring trying to sort out all the bodies.

Really it comes down to CF. Do they want a "true" CF or are they comfortable with Santana there? If they are comfortable with Santana then him, Braun, and Davis are the OF with Broxton, Young, or Niewenheus on the bench as the "defensive" CF and Peterson and backup corner OF and 1B. If they want defense in CF then I think Santana is headed to AAA.

Really it comes down to CF. Do they want a "true" CF or are they comfortable with Santana there? If they are comfortable with Santana then him, Braun, and Davis are the OF with Broxton, Young, or Niewenheus on the bench as the "defensive" CF and Peterson and backup corner OF and 1B. If they want defense in CF then I think Santana is headed to AAA.

I think that ship (Santana regularly in CF) sailed and the most likely of the remaining group to make the most starts in my opinion is Nieuwenhuis. Beyond that, it's all up for grabs. Heck I could see Reed and Peterson as backups to a regular OF of Davis, Nieuwenhuis and Braun with neither Broxton or Santana making the team too. Anybody could still be traded too and they might still add another name to the mix via trade or FA. One things for sure. There is likely to be shuffling during the season.

Davis will be traded and Santana will be in the OF. He's much younger and is better defensively. Doesn't have the power Davis has but he still has power. He can hit to all fields as well and is more patient at the plate. He's still young so can improve his contact cutting down on some Ks. I don't care what the OF looks like in April. I'm more concerned about the future. I think that's Braun, Phillips, Santana (Broxton/someone else in CF this year). But if Davis isn't traded prior to the start of the season he'll start with Santana in AAA as he won't be playing CF - he'll come up once Davis is then traded

There are huge questions whether Santana can handle major league pitching.

I think that this season would certainly be a good time to find out.

There are a lot of pieces to juggle, but in a neatly ordered world, I'd prefer to see Santana in right and Braun in left, with the provision that both of them are available to play either position when needed. I agree with the assessment that Domingo shouldn't be a center fielder, but I wouldn't have a problem with him playing there in a pinch or for an occasional spot start.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I still think you try to trade Davis, but if you don't get a reasonable offer (Which at this point seems likely), I don't know what you do.

I think the best plan if you have to keep both of them is to start Davis in Left, Santana in Center, and Braun in Right. Broxton and then a Niewenheus or Flores as the 5th outfielder.

Ideally i would like to see Davis traded, Broxton starting in center and then Niewenheu and Flores as the backups.

I still think you try to trade Davis, but if you don't get a reasonable offer (Which at this point seems likely), I don't know what you do.

I think the best plan if you have to keep both of them is to start Davis in Left, Santana in Center, and Braun in Right. Broxton and then a Niewenheus or Flores as the 5th outfielder.

Ideally i would like to see Davis traded, Broxton starting in center and then Niewenheu and Flores as the backups.

This right here.

Throw Santana in CF Until one of the corner guys is traded, and spell those corner guys with him.

I don't see any reason why Santana shouldn't start 130+ games barring injury.

It is only a matter of time for Davis to be traded. Could be this winter still, could be at the deadline. Could be a year from now. In the meantime Santana can be a 4th OF.

It is possible that Braun is dealt too.

Once Maverick Phillips is ready, both Davis & Braun will likely be gone.

I really like Broxton's potential.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think the best plan was Davis in left, Santana in center, Braun in right for 2016. Nothing against Broxton or these other players, but I view Peterson and Reed as decent CF options for what 2016 is likely to be should that best plan not be possible.

I think that Stearns likes putting players in their "natural" position. He seems to love players who play multiple positions, but for most guys that's not the case, and he doesn't like putting these players all over the field (i.e. "he plays OF, so we could put him at any OF position, or at 1B"). Melvin seemed to try to find a defensive position for anyone who could hit, so this is going to be a different track than most of us are used to seeing.

The team made clear that Santana was not going to be their everyday CF, and traded away the guy everyone expected to be our everyday 1B (Rogers) for Broxton. Since Phillips is the heir apparent at CF, trading for Broxton seems to show that Broxton will get every shot at being our primary CF this year, and wasn't picked up "for the future." Then, rather than just slotting a corner OF into 1B like many wanted, he signed a guy whose natural position is first base.

This puts Santana in limbo, because if someone isn't traded, he is either a bench player or going back to AAA. He will get a shot at being an everyday corner OF. The question is when. Him getting a shot isn't worth making a bad trade and giving away Braun or Davis, so we may need to wait a while until the market heats up for corner OF before that trade is made.

~Bill Walsh

I think that Stearns likes putting players in their "natural" position. He seems to love players who play multiple positions, but for most guys that's not the case, and he doesn't like putting these players all over the field (i.e. "he plays OF, so we could put him at any OF position, or at 1B"). Melvin seemed to try to find a defensive position for anyone who could hit, so this is going to be a different track than most of us are used to seeing.

The team made clear that Santana was not going to be their everyday CF, and traded away the guy everyone expected to be our everyday 1B (Rogers) for Broxton. Since Phillips is the heir apparent at CF, trading for Broxton seems to show that Broxton will get every shot at being our primary CF this year, and wasn't picked up "for the future." Then, rather than just slotting a corner OF into 1B like many wanted, he signed a guy whose natural position is first base.

This puts Santana in limbo, because if someone isn't traded, he is either a bench player or going back to AAA. He will get a shot at being an everyday corner OF. The question is when. Him getting a shot isn't worth making a bad trade and giving away Braun or Davis, so we may need to wait a while until the market heats up for corner OF before that trade is made.

Agree. People can give up on Santana playing CF because it's not happening. That's why Broxton, Kirk, EY were acquired (plus Flores can fill in there too). Broxton is very intriguing to me and I hope he has a solid year as he's either the 4th OF moving forward or he's trade bait, still leaving us with Kirk, Flores, EY - whoever's on the team. Santana will be a corner OF (most likely RF due to his arm). I'm expecting Braun to be here through his contract, or at least the large majority of it. Braun is best in LF and I expect him to be back there once Davis is traded - and he will be traded because he doesn't fit the mold of what Stearns desires. Santana should be given every chance this year to prove he should be part of the future. If he's not going to start in April then have him play every day in AAA until Davis is traded during the season. You can't bury him on the bench at the MLB level and stunt his development. And what if Santana has a great ST? Doesn't make sense to send him to AAA then. If you insert him in the lineup with Braun and one of the true CFs now you're left with Davis on the bench and that can hurt the return in a trade, which is why I expect Davis to be traded prior to opening day

Stearns was no doubt involved in the decision to trade Santana last year, so wouldn't surprise me if he moves him again before the season. If he stays, he needs ABs. I would start him in CF at times, give the corners days off, PHing, etc. But it sure does seem like one of Braun, Davis, Santana will be gone by September.

Id expect Davis to be traded once the glut on FA OFers gets more settled, and it seems pretty close.

Braun could be traded as well though his contract is less likely to be interesting though its getting closer to market value.

I like Santana but he needs ABs in Milwaukee to figure out what we have in him. CS is useless to evaluate powerhitters and putting him on the bench isnt going to get him the reps he needs. Not putting him in CF because he "isn't a CF" only matters if this is a team that is going to compete for something.

The other guys are sub expansion team talent and are all 5th OFers that will make us all long for the glory days of Thad Bosely. Once Davis and Luc are traded, buckle up, its going to be a long season in Milwaukee. I am no fan of Braun after the "issues" but I pity the poor guy in that lineup. He may get 200 walks next year. Who would hit clean up behind him? Carter? One of the Boston rejects?

I will have to figure out how to get MilB TV because that is where the action will be in 2016++++

The other guys are sub expansion team talent and are all 5th OFers that will make us all long for the glory days of Thad Bosely. Once Davis and Luc are traded, buckle up, its going to be a long season in Milwaukee. I am no fan of Braun after the "issues" but I pity the poor guy in that lineup. He may get 200 walks next year. Who would hit clean up behind him? Carter? One of the Boston rejects?

Not sure how Carter is such a worse option than Ramirez was the past two years:

[pre]Yr Player ABs HR BB RBI OBP/SLG/OPS

--------------------------------------------

14-16 Carter 468 30 61 78 312/459/771

2015 Ramirez 279 11 16 42 295/430/725

2014 Ramirez 494 15 21 66 330/427/757[/pre]

Not sure how Carter is such a worse option than Ramirez was the past two years:

[pre]Yr Player ABs HR BB RBI OBP/SLG/OPS

--------------------------------------------

14-16 Carter 468 30 61 78 312/459/771

2015 Ramirez 279 11 16 42 295/430/725

2014 Ramirez 494 15 21 66 330/427/757[/pre]

We are talking about this guy, right?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cartech02.shtml

I can promise you there is not a pitcher in the league that would rather face Braun than Carter.

Archived