Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals

Luke99
Price of prospects is going up? Didn't Swanson recently get traded?

Bad example. Not saying the statement is right or wrong, but the Swanson trade is an outlier. Not to mention 95% of people think it was highway robbery.

Actually good example, I too would like to commit highway robbery.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was barely hitting his weight for most of the season, and didn't start hitting until months after the team was buried in the standings. The thing that gets me is that he acts like he's above the situation the team is currently in. You'd think that he'd had an MVP type season last year and is tired on carrying the team on his back, when in reality he was subpar when he actually saw the field. Not the type of guy that you want around young players, so I want him gone.

He's not acting like he's "above" the situation. He fully admitted that he didn't perform up to the standard he set for himself. He admitted he was part of last year's struggles. He just doesn't want to be part of a rebuild when he is now a catcher in his 30's and he knows his time as a quality major leaguer may be limited. He knows (as do we) that if he plays up to his potential, he's one of the best catchers in the league, so a team with World Series aspirations would possibly want him.

And to reiterate Eye Black's point about this not hurting his trade value, it just takes one team. Everybody knows where the Brewers stand, but they also know that the Brewers don't have to move Lucroy if they don't want to. Other teams may try to act like the Brewers don't have bargaining power, but if multiple teams have a desire to get Lucroy, they are going to be afraid that someone else is going to make a strong offer and thus will make a strong one themselves. Other teams are bidding against each other, not the Brewers.

Price of prospects is going up? Didn't Swanson recently get traded?

Bad example. Not saying the statement is right or wrong, but the Swanson trade is an outlier. Not to mention 95% of people think it was highway robbery.

Actually good example, I too would like to commit highway robbery.

Don't hold your breath.

While I prefer comments like Lucs stay in house, it wont have any effect on his trade value. All teams have seen the Brewers offseason. They know where Stearns came from. It's no mystery they are tanking, so Luc was just stating the very very obvious.

He wants to win and doesnt want to play on a 57 win team. The subtext of course is "with my current contract".

The Brewers havent lost any leverage as any GM who can fog a mirror knows what Luc is saying. The Brewers don't have to trade him and his contract is so low, keeping him on the roster wont hurt them one way or the other.

I would have no problem at all with anything Lucroy said, IF he would have said it privately to Stearns/Attanasio/Counsell, etc. I just don't see anything positive about putting this all out there publicly. We on this board are split on if it effected his trade value, so for example let's say there are 6 teams interested in him, and now 3 of them think his comments lower his trade value. Heck, even if only 1 interested GM thinks that, you have hosed over yourself and the team for literally nothing.

At this point I just say deal him for the best offer you can get now, before he gets viciously attacked by a suitcase again and misses 6 weeks or something.

Players get reputations, sometimes deserved sometimes not. Every GM in MLB is now viewing Lucroy as a player who could potentially shoot his mouth off in the press in an unprofessional way in the future. There is no way, as far as I can see, that such a reality cannot negatively effect his trade value.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think I will side with the former MLB players who think these comments were bad and do not help his trade value.

You guys are so sure they are harmless, but people who have actually been in a MLB clubhouse seem to think otherwise.

I saw nothing unprofessional about Lucoy's comments. And he doesn't have a history of doing this so it's not going to be a big deal for a different GM.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he had said. His issue and why the jsonline comment section type irrational, knee jerk, over reactive fans blew up is solely because he gets asked questions and tells the truth. We live in a world where truth is highly devalued. People need everything so sugar coated in order to make themselves feel good. A Brewer fan cannot handle a Brewer player simply saying that we are most likely not going to be competing for a playoff spot.... we all now that it true but it is not okay for a player to say so publicly. There prefer (actually NEED) the David Stearns, loop around the question, we are acquiring best talent to have sustained success in the future type answer. Only thing Lucroy is allowed to say, is "no matter the moves we make, we are going to go out and try to win the world series this season." Those fans can now sleep at night and the world is good.

A GM doesn't need to go search to hard to find out Lucroy is a class act, blue collar, hard working, great guy, great teammate who is competitive and has a fire to win. They can ask anyone in the Brewers locker room or front office. Rangers can walk down and talk to Prince. His issue is he doesn't believe in lying or sugar coating the truth. Highly doubt a GM of a contending team is going to back away from Lucroy because he said he wants to compete, win, and get to a World Series. "Oh No! He may poison our locker room with that attitude!" "We can't get him! He is a cancer! He wants to win and will say it publicly!"

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I think I will side with the former MLB players who think these comments were bad and do not help his trade value.

You guys are so sure they are harmless, but people who have actually been in a MLB clubhouse seem to think otherwise.

Former major league players with talking head gigs on TV aren't the GMs we're dealing with. Former players also tend to get judgmental about what they perceive as unprofessional behavior. Basically, and ironically in this context, they like to mouth off. So no.

I saw nothing unprofessional about Lucoy's comments. And he doesn't have a history of doing this so it's not going to be a big deal for a different GM.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he had said. His issue and why the jsonline comment section type irrational, knee jerk, over reactive fans blew up is solely because he gets asked questions and tells the truth. We live in a world where truth is highly devalued. People need everything so sugar coated in order to make themselves feel good. A Brewer fan cannot handle a Brewer player simply saying that we are most likely not going to be competing for a playoff spot.... we all now that it true but it is not okay for a player to say so publicly. There prefer (actually NEED) the David Stearns, loop around the question, we are acquiring best talent to have sustained success in the future type answer. Only thing Lucroy is allowed to say, is "no matter the moves we make, we are going to go out and try to win the world series this season." Those fans can now sleep at night and the world is good.

A GM doesn't need to go search to hard to find out Lucroy is a class act, blue collar, hard working, great guy, great teammate who is competitive and has a fire to win. They can ask anyone in the Brewers locker room or front office. Rangers can walk down and talk to Prince. His issue is he doesn't believe in lying or sugar coating the truth. Highly doubt a GM of a contending team is going to back away from Lucroy because he said he wants to compete, win, and get to a World Series. "Oh No! He may poison our locker room with that attitude!" "We can't get him! He is a cancer! He wants to win and will say it publicly!"

For me the issue isn't that he said the Brewers aren't very good right now. It's that he said that and then said he doesn't want to play on a losing team twice in the last few months. It's one thing to be honest and realistic, it's another to publicly say you don't want to be here two times. And as some others have brought up before, it probably has something to do with the Brewers rejecting his wanting an extension.

This was about as "knee jerk" of a response to this situation as it gets. While society might be more PC, it still doesn't mean you just spout off about everything and anything and it all is okay. Lucroy chose to give his answer the way he did. While you might commend him, others won't and don't, including other MLB players.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This was about as "knee jerk" of a response to this situation as it gets. While society might be more PC, it still doesn't mean you just spout off about everything and anything and it all is okay. Lucroy chose to give his answer the way he did. While you might commend him, others won't and don't, including other MLB players.

My only problem with Lucroy's remarks is that he's partially responsible for the current state of the team. He, like many Brewer hitters, didn't hit a lick last April, and it was that slow start that cemented in Attanasio's mind the need for a complete rebuild. Had he and a few more swung the bats like they were capable of early on in 2015, the current roster might be a lot more to his liking.

Man, I know we can all agree to disagree but I feel like some of you might have misinterpreted Lucroy's comments to say he hates babies, puppies and America.

As far as I can tell (and this is without seeing the questions asked):

-he doesn't like losing

-doesn't think the Brewers will be a winning ball club in the near future

-trading proven veteran hitters away doesn't really help their chances to win

-Would potentially welcome a trade to a non-rebuilding team

-he wants to prove to people he's healthy

-he is going to try his best for whatever team he's playing on

I don't think that's an overstatement on his part. These guys are not just some pawns in a fantasy world. His request to talk about a contract extension was turned away, he's been the speculation of trade rumors for the better part of a year already and he knows that he's not part of the future. If a fair offer came in he's gone... maybe today, maybe before the regular season, maybe before the trade deadline, maybe next off-season. Honestly, I might be a bit unsettled to with what my future holds as well.

Now maybe the best course of action was to turn Hardricourt away and not do the interview. However, if he's going to talk about it then I'm happy he didn't chose a canned response or sugar coat his feelings. In case you missed it he also said he isn't asking for a trade, wants to put the health issues behind him and is going to play hard for whoever he's with.

I still contend that it's a less than stellar piece of work from TH, but I suppose it's his job. There's nothing of real substance to report on for the Brewers at the moment so he calls up a guy in a bit of a tenuous situation who he knows isn't going to mince his words. He knew what the general response from Lucroy was going to be (probably similar to 9 out of 10 others if put in the same situation), and generated some (mostly negative) buzz around the team. I'd have preferred he write a piece on some of the Brewers prospects and potential bright future myself.

I find it unlikely that any GM would decide against trading for him solely based on his comments in the article.

And he doesn't have a history of doing this so it's not going to be a big deal for a different GM.

Sure he does, he's said similar things in the past. I knew he was going to have a bad attitude about the rebuild before his latest comments were even reported.

Let me pose this question to those who think he's hurt his trade value.

Lucroy states basically, he's looking to play for a team with WS ability/talent before he gets too old.

What teams that are playing for a World Series aspirations vs. a rebuild is going to not want him now?

If he hurt his trade value it's to the teams of Cincy, Atl, Phil, Col., Tampa maybe. Rangers or Nationals, are they now like whoa? This wanting to win attitude and desire to make it to the WS is too much for this team and organization to handle?

Come On!

Personally, he's improved his value because of his statements. He's hellbent on making a WS if he's playing for a team that could win enough to get to a post-season. Don't many a player/teams have letdown type of years typically after winning a championship? Watch a number of KC players not perform as well this season. These guys got a ring, you consider yourself a WS type team on paper and that you should be able to cruise to another post-season where you turn it on....except since they lull through the season have a hard time winning 84games and making that postseason.

No team has won B2B in the 2000s.

And he doesn't have a history of doing this so it's not going to be a big deal for a different GM.

Sure he does, he's said similar things in the past. I knew he was going to have a bad attitude about the rebuild before his latest comments were even reported.

Quotes?

Let me pose this question to those who think he's hurt his trade value.

Lucroy states basically, he's looking to play for a team with WS ability/talent before he gets too old.

What teams that are playing for a World Series aspirations vs. a rebuild is going to not want him now?

If he hurt his trade value it's to the teams of Cincy, Atl, Phil, Col., Tampa maybe. Rangers or Nationals, are they now like whoa? This wanting to win attitude and desire to make it to the WS is too much for this team and organization to handle?

Come On!

Personally, he's improved his value because of his statements. He's hellbent on making a WS if he's playing for a team that could win enough to get to a post-season. Don't many a player/teams have letdown type of years typically after winning a championship? Watch a number of KC players not perform as well this season. These guys got a ring, you consider yourself a WS type team on paper and that you should be able to cruise to another post-season where you turn it on....except since they lull through the season have a hard time winning 84games and making that postseason.

No team has won B2B in the 2000s.

I'm not making a big deal out of Lucroy's comments, but his trade value improves because he said he wants to try to help a club win a World Series? That...seems like a big stretch to me.

Why would the Pirates be involved? Cervelli is good and they have Stewart to back him up. Take that rumor with a huge grain of salt.

Trade for Lucroy and turn around and trade Cervelli for something else of need? Maybe trade for Lucroy and then trade Cervelli to recoup some of the prospects lost while gaining a year of a very good catcher?

Lucroy has an extra year of control so there is that. They must have something in mind to call about Lucroy. Unlikely landing spot none the less.

Man, I know we can all agree to disagree but I feel like some of you might have misinterpreted Lucroy's comments to say he hates babies, puppies and America.

No one is saying he plays for the Cardinals.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived