Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals

Luke99
If we do trade Lucroy to the Cubs, the one guy I'd target is RHP Dylan Cease. He strikes me as having the upside of a potential future ace. He's no safe bet but I'd target him as a secondary piece in a deal involving Lucroy.

C Jonathan Lucroy

for

3B/2B Javier Baez

RHP Dylan Cease

or maybe if they won't part with Baez something like...

C Jonathan Lucroy

for

RHP Dylan Cease

2B/OF Arismendy Alcantara

3B Jeimer Candelario or 1B Dan Vogelbach

Cubs have a lot of guys near MLB ready who are blocked so I can see them being very busy at this year's trade deadline or before. Alcantara strikes me as a good buy low candidate, as I can see him having a nice little career as a switch hitting 2B or CF.

None of that is franchise changing. It's hope and pray. The floor on those deals is utter disaster. We picked up the future 2b in Isan Diaz.

I don't like the idea to trade to the Cubs. Make them better at one of their weaker positions. Chicago likely doesn't hesitate extending Lucroy 3 more years. I'd offer him 3/42mil 9mil signing bonus to be added to the Option that's forthcoming being picked up. If you're him do you turn that down? That extension leads in to the Brewers competitive again years. And Lucroy will be a monster to have to compete against. No doubt stalling that return.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we do trade Lucroy to the Cubs, the one guy I'd target is RHP Dylan Cease. He strikes me as having the upside of a potential future ace. He's no safe bet but I'd target him as a secondary piece in a deal involving Lucroy.

C Jonathan Lucroy

for

3B/2B Javier Baez

RHP Dylan Cease

or maybe if they won't part with Baez something like...

C Jonathan Lucroy

for

RHP Dylan Cease

2B/OF Arismendy Alcantara

3B Jeimer Candelario or 1B Dan Vogelbach

Cubs have a lot of guys near MLB ready who are blocked so I can see them being very busy at this year's trade deadline or before. Alcantara strikes me as a good buy low candidate, as I can see him having a nice little career as a switch hitting 2B or CF.

Would be beyond pissed if Stearns were offered and accepted either of these deals.

Ditto. Cubs have to pay an in division premium as well. It's just how this stuff works

Would take

C Wilson Contreras - Like him long term as a solid mlb regular and helps hedge on Nottingham

RHP - Dylan Cease

SS - Gleybar Torres

Yeah it's a ton but if your trading Lucroy to the cubs that is what you demand. guessing we would have to take Montero back, which is fine. He is an easy flip candidate if need be.

Ditto. Cubs have to pay an in division premium as well. It's just how this stuff works

Normally, but the Brewers are two full seasons away from worrying about records. If the Cubs offer the best deal that is acceptable, I have no trouble trading him without making them "pay more".

By that third year is Lucroy still catching 115 games a year, and if so, still doing it adequately? Or is he playing mostly 1B?

If Lucroy is the one keeping the Brewers out of the playoffs in 2018, because he is the reason the Cubs are beating the Brewers, then I say more power to him - but I think the odds are a little long on that scenario.

If the Cubs offer the best deal that is acceptable, I have no trouble trading him without making them "pay more".

If the Cubs have the best offer, then by default, haven't they "paid more?"

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If the Cubs offer the best deal that is acceptable, I have no trouble trading him without making them "pay more".

I think he meant "pay more because they are the cubs" and not "pay more than the next guys".

We picked up the future 2b in Isan Diaz

No, no, no, no... You draft and trade for talent. If they fit "holes" in the system, great. But you don't avoid positions just because "we already have one". Because Diaz might not be the future 2b.

I think he meant "pay more because they are the cubs" and not "pay more than the next guys".

That would just mean you would never trade in the division, because you couldn't say "We like your deal, and it's the best one on the table. Now, throw in another guy because you're the Cubs." If the market says value is X, and they are at X+1, they are already paying a premium.

If the attitude is "they would have to overwhelm me," then you are really saying "they have to be really stupid and pay far, far more than anyone else is willing to pay." In other words, you are basically saying you just wouldn't trade within the division.

I agree on the Diaz comment. I'm very happy to have him in the system, but we can't construct the Lucroy trade based on an 18-year-old in Appleton. Since we're looking for prospects, we should try to get the best total value offered. Then put them on teams, let them play and see how everything shakes out.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Would take

C Wilson Contreras - Like him long term as a solid mlb regular and helps hedge on Nottingham

RHP - Dylan Cease

SS - Gleybar Torres

Yeah it's a ton but if your trading Lucroy to the cubs that is what you demand. guessing we would have to take Montero back, which is fine. He is an easy flip candidate if need be.

Sign me up for this one! I like Nottingham a lot but Contreras looks like he could be a beast. Torres also. Good catching prospects are in high demand and either could be flipped later.

We picked up the future 2b in Isan Diaz

No, no, no, no... You draft and trade for talent. If they fit "holes" in the system, great. But you don't avoid positions just because "we already have one". Because Diaz might not be the future 2b.

It's a reason not to go for a guy like Javier Baez. It's not just Diaz but with guys like Rivera and Villar. Maybe eventually Gatewood/Lara if SS/3b doesn't workout. I feel better about having a serviceable 2b than a potential Ace/#2 SP in the Brewers pipeline. 2b to me is a bit like Catcher. The value isn't as high on need. Many a SS/3b will end up playing 2b if they don't fit the SS/3b profile or are moved there because SS/3b is blocked. How many 2b are MVP type studs? You just don't see it. Cano/Altuve if you got that type of prospect in a deal. But a Baez is very far from them. Looking at 2b prospects. Yoan Moncada is the only one that would fit that. Every other top 2b prospects read no different overall than Diaz.

Yes, exactly.

If the Cubs pay even slightly more than the next team then we should take the offer. The whole "teams in your division have to pay more" thing is silly to me. If we were in a position to compete with the Cubs we wouldn't be trading Lucroy I the first place. By the time we are in a position to compete with Chicago Lucroy will either be gone or likely beginning a decline due to age.

If we were in a position to compete with the Cubs we wouldn't be trading Lucroy I the first place. By the time we are in a position to compete with Chicago Lucroy will either be gone or likely beginning a decline due to age.

+1

Get the best deal you can, if it's the Cubs, it's the Cubs. And how will the Cubs feel when they stink in 2020 and three former draft picks are with the Brewers and putting a hurt on them.

If the Cubs are giving you the best deal, you absolutely take their offer assuming that's it's the best of a number of good deals and not the least bad of a number of crappy deals.

That said, their farm system is no longer close to being elite. They'd have to take a pretty substantial gut punch to their farm system in order to put up an offer even close to what the Rangers could easily offer. So if the Cubs are making the best offer, it might not be a good sign for the strength of Lucroy's market.

If the Cubs are giving you the best deal, you absolutely take their offer assuming that's it's the best of a number of good deals and not the least bad of a number of crappy deals.

That said, their farm system is no longer close to being elite. They'd have to take a pretty substantial gut punch to their farm system in order to put up an offer even close to what the Rangers could easily offer. So if the Cubs are making the best offer, it might not be a good sign for the strength of Lucroy's market.

Gutting the Cubs system would be pretty beneficial for the Brewers.

Just an observation. It's amazing to me that the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers never come up in any trade rumors. I don't mean just Lucroy, any trade talk in seemingly forever. Not sure what that means, I just find it interesting.

The Yankees have done a good job at not being stupid the last few years but the Red Sox and Dodgers have made all kinds of trades in the last few months.

Well, the Brewers are playing the Rangers today, and Maldonado is catching. You'd think if they were showcasing Lucroy's ability to catch, today would be a good day to do so. Also, Gallo playing 3B for the Rangers, and with all of the discussion in this thread, I'm interested in seeing him play.

~Bill Walsh

Maybe the Rangers' medical staff is giving Lucroy a physical as long as they're over in Maryvale?

Still think the Nationals make sense for Lucroy, and maybe the Mariners as well. Maybe the Tigers?

Tigers would be interesting. I love Daniel Norris, even after the cancer scare, but I don't know if Detroit would be willing to deal him as (I think) they see him as a key part of their rotation.

Otherwise, Michael Fulmer would be about the only guy to headline a deal.

What about Fulmer and Norris for Lucroy and one of our starters (Peralta, Anderson). I'd love to add a couple of higher end pitchers to the system. I just don't know if Detroit is willing to cough up their top two high end young players.

Maybe the Rangers' medical staff is giving Lucroy a physical as long as they're over in Maryvale?

Still think the Nationals make sense for Lucroy, and maybe the Mariners as well. Maybe the Tigers?

For the Nats, I'd like Trea Turner and Erick Fedde.

Well, the Brewers are playing the Rangers today, and Maldonado is catching. You'd think if they were showcasing Lucroy's ability to catch, today would be a good day to do so. Also, Gallo playing 3B for the Rangers, and with all of the discussion in this thread, I'm interested in seeing him play.

That bomb he hit off his back foot yesterday was something else. Almost looked like a beer league softball swing, but the ball went a long long ways

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived