Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals

Luke99
  • Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know woulda coulda shoulda, but looking back at picks right before Rangers picks in 2012 and 2014 and Astros in 2014, could have had Joey Gallo drafted instead of Mitch Haniger in 2012, Lewis Brinson instead of Victor Roache in 2012 and AJ Reed instead of Gatewood in 2014

How exciting would that be right now

Trea Turner over Kodi Medeiros would look pretty good now too.

I'll take my shot with Kodi Medeiros. We need pitching. Badly. And he did a pretty solid job last year and the Rattlers had high praise for him. And he's 19.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'll take my shot with Kodi Medeiros. We need pitching. Badly. And he did a pretty solid job last year and the Rattlers had high praise for him. And he's 19.

Eh, we do need pitching, and he certainly still has a shot, but his numbers wouldn't really qualify as solid last year. He's a long ways off and has a much better shot than Turner to never put on an MLB uniform.

I'd certainly take the already top 10 MLB prospect over the lottery ticket arm right now.

I think the Brewers knew there was better talent available at the slot, but Medeiros was picked early so they could pay him under slot and save money to overpay on picks later in the draft, which ended up being Gatewood and Harrison. They went upside depth over "best player available."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Eh, we do need pitching, and he certainly still has a shot, but his numbers wouldn't really qualify as solid last year. He's a long ways off and has a much better shot than Turner to never put on an MLB uniform.

I'd certainly take the already top 10 MLB prospect over the lottery ticket arm right now.

This is simply not true. He didn't give up a home run all year for heaven's sake. If anything was lacking it was his velocity and command. He is an ideal breakout candidate as his body is sure to strengthen up. Very likely he sees a velocity bump this year or next and takes off.

Armchair quarterbacking draft picks with the benefit of hindsight is bad enough, but Turner is a top-15 prospect because he was an advanced college SS who has turned out to be good. Medeiros is three years younger and hasn't yet reached the age of a possible breakout that will vault him into being an elite SP prospect, so we can't really say which pick was better at this point.

Right now you could say that Turner was a vastly superior pick to Tyler Kolek (#2 overall), just because the latter is still a teenager.

I was never questioning that Medeiros still has upside and breakout potential.

Since we were playing 'shoulda woulda coulda', my point could be simply boiled down to one question. If Turner for Medeiros was on the table right now at this moment in time, would we take it? Of course we would. Value-wise, we'd be crazy not to.

I was never questioning that Medeiros still has upside and breakout potential.

Since we were playing 'shoulda woulda coulda', my point could be simply boiled down to one question. If Turner for Medeiros was on the table right now at this moment in time, would we take it? Of course we would. Value-wise, we'd be crazy not to.

I see Kodi as an "interesting" reliever at the MLB level and Turner is likely going to be a solid starter at SS or 2B for a long time, so of course you'd trade Kodi for Turner.

Im as tough as anyone on our drafts over the years but as was pointed out, Kodi was picked higher than he should have been to maximize the pool money so they could sign their above slot 2nd round picks.

I realize this is a small chance, but I wonder if it's worth calling Texas about Lucroy now that Josh Hamilton is out for two months. Depending on how they feel about playing Gallo now, they might have a thought of playing Moreland in the outfield for a little while, he has played a very tiny bit of OF before, and let Fielder stay as DH, Lucroy could play some 1B for them. They could get him into camp now where he could work with pitchers during camp, and let him play his way back from his concussion at 1B. Again, this is 99% wishful thinking on my part, I just want us to unload Lucroy while we can get a good haul for him.

Armchair quarterbacking draft picks with the benefit of hindsight is bad enough

Never said we should have picked these guys instead as an armchair quarterback. Simply pointed out that 3 guys being discussed as possible headliners for Lucroy trade could have possibly been ours already as they were picks right after ours.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nothing huge here, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says there is still buzz that the Brewers want to deal Lucory this spring:

There’s still buzz in the scouting community that Lucroy could be moved in spring training. There are plenty of teams looking for a catcher, and Lucroy is the best available at the moment. The Brewers are exploring moving Lucroy for prospects.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/02/27/criticism-analytics-shows-division-analysis/tNgGYvAwbAdPv1SaF6AddJ/story.html?event=event25

I imagine clubs are waiting to see how Luc does once games start up. If he looks good at that point, I bet something happens. Just my guess.

Have to wonder what Texas' plan is with Gallo now that they signed Desmond to play LF and are considering extending Beltre. While it is apparent that Gallo likely needs more time in the minors, one has to wonder if Texas isn't considering this a potential all in year/s perhaps. A move for Lucroy and Smith for some combination of high end prospects seems too obvious to not occur.

Have to wonder what Texas' plan is with Gallo now that they signed Desmond to play LF and are considering extending Beltre. While it is apparent that Gallo likely needs more time in the minors, one has to wonder if Texas isn't considering this a potential all in year/s perhaps. A move for Lucroy and Smith for some combination of high end prospects seems too obvious to not occur.

I don't know how viable the rumors are saying Beltre could be extended. He's going to be 37 in a month and your top prospect (supposedly) is a year away. The Desmond signing clearly indicates that Texas is in win-now mode. Giving up the 19th pick overall for a guy who will need to learn a new position and could potentially be replaced in two months screams of desperation. Ryan Rua, won the left field job out of ST last year, is now relegated to 4th or 5th outfielder with Ruggiano.

It could be the perfect storm that moves Lucroy, though. Mazara blocked by Choo's untradeable contract, Hamilton, Desmond and Rua. Profar blocked by Andrus's untradeable contract and Odor. Brinson blocked by DeShields Jr. (who hopefully tears up spring training and the first couple months). And hopefully the in-house catchers for the Rangers fail miserably. And Lucroy plays at an MVP level...

If Profar's shoulder isn't toast, I'd love to see him included in a deal as a buy low candidate and moved to 3rd. If the top guys are off the board - Gallo, Mazara, Brinson - I would hope they could get Profar, Tate, Jurado and Morgan.

Podcast with Dallas Morning News' Rangers beat writer. Toward the end of his interview, middle of the podcast, he talks about Lucroy. He says he doesn't see the Rangers going after him this spring unless their starting catcher gets hurt; thinks they would go after him at the deadline if they didn't like their catching situation; and thinks he'll be there at the deadline because no other team will offer "a reasonable price" (not sure whose definition of "reasonable" he's talking about).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/03/podcast-evan-grant-on-rangers-bradley-woodrum-on-tj-surgery.html

No possible way you get both Brinson & Tate in a deal together without including someone else. Brinson stock has been blowing up, Tate stock is also pretty high. Already top 50-60 ranked player after only 20ips

I would be willing to add Will Smith to even things out.

The vast majority of trade proposals involve TX and I don't see him going there. He's going to a team that most haven't thought about.

Agree. I have Cubs at top of list, but not until the deadline. Cubs have blocked players, notably Baez who's an obvious fit at 3B. Brewers have salary room to take back Montero in deal to be stopgap. Why Cubs? Catcher is the one position they have room to get better, and their offense is a little left handed dominant and they could use a RH stick.

I'm also on the Lucroy to the Cubs bandwagon. Trade Luc and either Peralta or a resurgent Garza to the Cubs for a haul at the deadline...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

The vast majority of trade proposals involve TX and I don't see him going there. He's going to a team that most haven't thought about.

Agree. I have Cubs at top of list, but not until the deadline. Cubs have blocked players, notably Baez who's an obvious fit at 3B. Brewers have salary room to take back Montero in deal to be stopgap. Why Cubs? Catcher is the one position they have room to get better, and their offense is a little left handed dominant and they could use a RH stick.

I wouldn't mind them trading Lucroy to the Cubs, but Baez scares me. It's not just that he strikes out a lot, it's that he strikes out by swinging at 40% of the pitches outside of the zone and only about 60% of the pitches in the zone. In comparison, Chris Carter (another high strikeout guy) swings at 26% of the pitches out of the zone and 70% of the pitches in the zone. Unless Baez can get a better judgement of the strike zone, MLB pitchers are likely to eat him up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If we do trade Lucroy to the Cubs, the one guy I'd target is RHP Dylan Cease. He strikes me as having the upside of a potential future ace. He's no safe bet but I'd target him as a secondary piece in a deal involving Lucroy.

C Jonathan Lucroy

for

3B/2B Javier Baez

RHP Dylan Cease

or maybe if they won't part with Baez something like...

C Jonathan Lucroy

for

RHP Dylan Cease

2B/OF Arismendy Alcantara

3B Jeimer Candelario or 1B Dan Vogelbach

Cubs have a lot of guys near MLB ready who are blocked so I can see them being very busy at this year's trade deadline or before. Alcantara strikes me as a good buy low candidate, as I can see him having a nice little career as a switch hitting 2B or CF.

Archived