Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals

Luke99
Are the Brewers targeting close to MLB ready talent for Luc? Are they eager to start the clock on a Turner? Keep the clock going on a Gallo who while I like him, does not seem like a headline guy for our lone remaining big chip?

Based on what I have seen, I would think they are looking for guys drafted in 15 to headline a Luc deal. We have already seen Swanson traded, so its not unheard of. If they target HS level 14/15 guys, I would think they can pick up a bigger package of assets.

I agree. It'll be interesting to see which direction he chooses. I hope he packages Lucroy with a pitcher and gets a mix of a MLB ready talent as well as very young high ceiling guys. There aren't many MLB positions that need to be filled starting in 2017 and with a low payroll still has free agency to pick up a guy or two

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No possible way you get both Brinson & Tate in a deal together without including someone else. Brinson stock has been blowing up, Tate stock is also pretty high. Already top 50-60 ranked player after only 20ips

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Lucroy & Anderson would be about the same I'd think. Peralta IMO has a ton of value if he bounces back to 2014 performance. You hold on to Peralta until at least the deadline, if he is hot, he could net you a real nice return alone.

When I heard Anderson was part of the Segura trade, my first thought was, "One of the starting pitchers will be traded."

It's not likely to be Jungmann or Nelson, and there's no reason for someone to come after Garza right now, so I'm led to Anderson or Peralta. I still like the chances of a deal.

If Texas wants a starting pitcher, I would think Lucroy plus one would get the same level return Gomez/Fiers brought. If it's a bullpen arm, the Brewers have multiple options they could deal there too.

I still like the Rangers' farm system the best among the teams we believe are interested in Lucroy. Using the rankings from MLB.com, and not knowing how either front office actually ranks these players, I would think a comparable deal would be:

Lucroy/Anderson, or Lucroy/Jeffress

FOR

Dillon Tate or Lewis Brinson

Luis Ortiz

Brett Martin or Patrick Kivlehan (depending on whether player one was the pitcher)

Ti'Quan Forbes

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Odds that something happens prior to Friday's P/C's reporting?

Odds that something happens prior to April 4th?

My odds for when/if Luc getting traded:

20% chance something happens before Friday.

70% chance something happens before April 4.

10% Luc starts the season on the team.

From what I've been reading, teams want to see Lucroy in action and make sure he's healthy after the concussion last season. It's unlikely teams want to risk giving up a bevy of good prospects before seeing if Luc is okay.

Someone could jump the gun and make a deal in the next few days, but I'm betting it happens by early March - give teams a couple of weeks to realize that Luc is going to be fine.

I do think the trade will happen pretty quick. Teams will want to get Lucroy into their camp and spend as much time as possible with their pitchers. So once Luc has gone through a couple of weeks of camp, gotten in a few games, someone will make the move - assuming he reports back all is good.

Just my guess.

I do think the trade will happen pretty quick. Teams will want to get Lucroy into their camp and spend as much time as possible with their pitchers. So once Luc has gone through a couple of weeks of camp, gotten in a few games, someone will make the move - assuming he reports back all is good.

Your feeling on the subject mirrors mine Reilly. If the Brewers aren't offered something by the middle of Spring Training, I think you most likely will see Lucroy in a Brewer uniform until the Trade Deadline, and more likely, next winter. The position of catcher in baseball seems to mirror that of quarterback in football. Knowing the signs, play calls, pitchers, pitch sequence, etc... seems like a lot to learn midseason. I would think if the Brewers are going to maximize Lucroy's value it would be during an offseason where the team receiving Lucroy would have at least some of Spring Training to develop with their starting staff.

Hope to hear of a Lucroy deal within the next 72 hours.

I'd say it's 50/50 whether Luc's traded before opening day.

If he's on the opening day roster, I'd say it's 50/50 again that he's traded by the deadline. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he starts the season in Milwaukee but is dealt much earlier than the trade deadline.

If he's still with the Brewers at the end of 2016, he will be dealt before 2017 starts, unless the only reason he's still a Brewer is due to injury.

If he's not traded this year it will be a big waste of a resource. He'll only be another year older next season and as a catcher, that's not good.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I agree that the Rangers system is appealing. However, if they aren't willing to deal fairly then you move on.

From the Rangers, the pitcher I have a feeling on is Ariel Jurado. He doesn't throw as hard as Luis Ortiz, but he keeps the ball down. From the stats I saw, he had an almost 4 ratio of ground outs to fly outs whereas Ortiz had a ratio around one. Jurado also has good control. Now Ortiz does have the power if that's what he Brewers want because Jurado throws with less velocity.

I'd like Brinson, Jurado, and Josh Morgan. I posted earlier that Keith Law said the Rangers want to move Morgan to catcher. That's appealing to me. Morgan sounds like a gamer. My ask here is not crazy. There is no way I'm bundling Peralta or Will Smith for that return. A lesser piece to get it done and add a fourt prospect like Brett Martin, fine. Not Smith or Peralta.

I think it's 80% that he's a Brewer on opening day, and 20% that he's a Brewer on August 1. I think the Cubs are where he ends up but they are fine waiting to see he's healthy before they give up Baez who's the guy Stearns wants. The Brewers probably will need to include Smith and Cubs will send Montero back so the deal will be Lucroy and Smith and another piece (Villar or a minor league arm) for Baez and Montero.

Cubs lineup includes 4 LH bats. That could leave them vulnerable to LH starters they see in playoffs. David Ross is not an option other than as Lester's personal catcher. Montero's not cheap, but he allows Brewers to continue to have veteran working with all young pitchers as place holder through at least until trade deadline of 2017. You take him and his salary so you can get the guy you want, Baez, a man without a position in Chicago, who'll be everyday 3B for years.

I think it's 80% that he's a Brewer on opening day, and 20% that he's a Brewer on August 1. I think the Cubs are where he ends up but they are fine waiting to see he's healthy before they give up Baez who's the guy Stearns wants. The Brewers probably will need to include Smith and Cubs will send Montero back so the deal will be Lucroy and Smith for Baez and Montero.

Cubs lineup includes 4 LH bats. That could leave them vulnerable to LH starters they see in playoffs. David Ross is not an option other than as Lester's personal catcher. Montero's not cheap, but he allows Brewers to continue to have veteran working with all young pitchers as place holder through at least until trade deadline of 2017. You take him and his salary so you can get the guy you want, Baez, a man without a position in Chicago, who'll be everyday 3B for years.

Luc and Smith for Baez and Montero - no way in my book. That's a huge overpay. You're actually taking on salary. Baez has serious contact issues, and some scouts don't know if he'll ever hit big league pitching. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want him, he obviously has talent, but it would be way underselling on Luc - not to mention giving them Smith. That's a massive overpay.

If the club likes Baez, you could do something like remove Smith from the deal, then add something else in from Chicago's system. That's my opinion.

I think it's 80% that he's a Brewer on opening day, and 20% that he's a Brewer on August 1. I think the Cubs are where he ends up but they are fine waiting to see he's healthy before they give up Baez who's the guy Stearns wants. The Brewers probably will need to include Smith and Cubs will send Montero back so the deal will be Lucroy and Smith for Baez and Montero.

Luc and Smith for Baez and Montero - no way in my book. That's a huge overpay. You're actually taking on salary. Baez has serious contact issues, and some scouts don't know if he'll ever hit big league pitching. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want him, he obviously has talent, but it would be way underselling on Luc - not to mention giving them Smith. That's a massive overpay.

If the club likes Baez, you could do something like remove Smith from the deal, then add something else in from Chicago's system. That's my opinion.

LOL at that trade. Montero is older than both Luc and Smith and offers nothing for the rebuild. So the trade is basically Smith and Lucroy for Baez. Which is also LOL.

LOL at that trade. Montero is older than both Luc and Smith and offers nothing for the rebuild. So the trade is basically Smith and Lucroy for Baez. Which is also LOL.

Montero is a movable asset so it's not just Smith and Lucroy for Baez. If you can find a 3rd team then the Cubs would make sense. Maybe someone like the Rays or Nationals? However I would still want more back than Baez and Montero for Smith and Lucroy. The Cubs would have to sweeten that up with a couple of their blocked prospects.

@WiscoSportsNut

I don't see Chicago. Hard to see the Cubs give up the type of prospects they will need to in order to get Lucroy in the division. Moreover, I don't like their prospects that much....they don't match up very well at all. Contreras is no longer really needed as a catcher for the future, Torress fills a major strength for us.... can't have 4-5 SS between Helena and Wisconsin prior to even the draft, they have almost no exciting pitchers...maybe Cease? McKinley is okay....no Brinson. Vogelbach can hit but can't play defense at 1b at all. Baez, would struggle to make contact if a pitcher was throwing a volleyball.

Not worth it, stick to teams like Rays, Nats, Rangers who match up well

I think it's 80% that he's a Brewer on opening day, and 20% that he's a Brewer on August 1. I think the Cubs are where he ends up but they are fine waiting to see he's healthy before they give up Baez who's the guy Stearns wants. The Brewers probably will need to include Smith and Cubs will send Montero back so the deal will be Lucroy and Smith and another piece (Villar or a minor league arm) for Baez and Montero.

I couldn't think of a more disappointing return for Lucroy alone than Baez and Montero. To think we would have to include Smith AND Villar to acquire Baez, well that just makes no sense whatsoever.

With the word that Adrian Beltre is close to an extension with Texas, does anyone believe that will open them to dealing Gallo? If so, would Lucroy, Peralta and Smith be enough to get Gallo, Brinson and another piece?

With the word that Adrian Beltre is close to an extension with Texas, does anyone believe that will open them to dealing Gallo? If so, would Lucroy, Peralta and Smith be enough to get Gallo, Brinson and another piece?

I've read some things saying that the Rangers are content to let Gallo go to AAA in 2016 and regain his confidence and work on his game. They know they rushed him last year, and the guy needs to regroup.

Between Prince, Moreland, Beltre and Hamilton, there's going to eventually be some injuries - and if Gallo is ready, they'll be happy to elevate him at that time. But they don't need to rush anything.

But the big reason they want to hang onto Gallo is that Moreland and Beltre are both free agents after the season. Odds seem to be that Texas wants to extend Beltre, despite his age. That will lead to 1B opening up next season, and Gallo would slot in there perfectly. His right handed power is exactly what Texas needs.

No one really sees Gallo as a full time outfielder - it's 3B (which he isn't particularly good at) or 1B.

I think Texas is going to hang on to Gallo. His power is just too enticing. They have the position opening in 2017, and the guy needs some more seasoning. They just need to be patient. They don't want to give up on him like they did Chris Davis.

The Brewers arent going to take on major leaguers as the centerpiece of a Luc trade unless it's to absorb salary to add to the prospect package, like Hill with the AZ trade.

I have no interest in helping the Cubs get better unless it guts their minor league system anyhow.

When I heard Anderson was part of the Segura trade, my first thought was, "One of the starting pitchers will be traded."

It's not likely to be Jungmann or Nelson, and there's no reason for someone to come after Garza right now, so I'm led to Anderson or Peralta. I still like the chances of a deal.

If Texas wants a starting pitcher, I would think Lucroy plus one would get the same level return Gomez/Fiers brought. If it's a bullpen arm, the Brewers have multiple options they could deal there too.

I still like the Rangers' farm system the best among the teams we believe are interested in Lucroy. Using the rankings from MLB.com, and not knowing how either front office actually ranks these players, I would think a comparable deal would be:

Lucroy/Anderson, or Lucroy/Jeffress

FOR

Dillon Tate or Lewis Brinson

Luis Ortiz

Brett Martin or Patrick Kivlehan (depending on whether player one was the pitcher)

Ti'Quan Forbes

Tate and Gallo + for Luc/Anderson.

Stearns doesnt mind strike outs and once Beltre signs Gallo is pretty free to be traded. Anderson seems to have been traded here almost for the sole purpose of trading him as the Brewers really dont have a crying need for a 28 year old #4 starter. That is pretty much the profile of most of their more advanced arms.

Archived