Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals

Luke99

I don't see Arizona as a match. I would take Garza for Hill & a prospect though. Kind of like the Braves trade last year.

I guess Rays depends on how competitive they feel they will be this season. His price tag, work ethic, attitude, ability to work with young pitchers all match very well for them.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone see this trade proposal that Bleacher Report posted today:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2606816-mlb-trade-ideas-based-on-offseason-week-10-news-rumors-and-speculation/page/3?utm_campaign=tsipad&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=teamstream

As much as I love Luc, I don't think there is anyway we are getting three Top 100 players from the Rangers. I think we'd be lucky to get two of those three Top 100 guys, and maybe a couple of rookie ball guys in their system that might have some upside.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2606816-mlb-trade-ideas-based-on-offseason-week-10-news-rumors-and-speculation/page/3?utm_campaign=tsipad&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=teamstream

As much as I love Luc, I don't think there is anyway we are getting three Top 100 players from the Rangers. I think we'd be lucky to get two of those three Top 100 guys, and maybe a couple of rookie ball guys in their system that might have some upside.

If we get all that for Luc I'll do cartwheels. Can't see it happening, but It'd be a great day.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Dave Cameron on his latest fangraphs chat had this to say...

"I have heard the ask on Lucroy is insane"

He'll probably settle for crazy.

I'd be disappointed in Sterns if he wasn't asking for a massive return. The point is not to trade Lucroy, the point is to get the highest talent return possible to speed up the rebuild. Let the other GM get antsy and blink.

I think this qualifies as an "insane" return for Lucroy

I think this qualifies as an "insane" return for Lucroy

If a three top 100 prospect return is insane, I wonder what the author thinks we would get at the deadline, 4 top 100 prospects? The article reads, "While it's possible the Brewers could get a better package if they waited until the July 31 trade deadline, they'd also be running the risk of Lucroy struggling at the plate again or getting injured, which would kill his trade value."

In all seriousness if the Brewers got the return proposed in this trade for Lucroy, it would likely make the Brewers minor league system the best in baseball. We would have no less than six top 100 prospects.

It's so tough to find solid trade proposals. The Brewers have so many OF prospects and have SS covered. 1b and 3b lack in ideal value gets for Lucroy. I'm not for C trades. You look at potential SPs you'd want, and I think teams are going to balk at giving up that tier of talent. You're back to finding diamonds in the rough 18-19year olds who've got a lot of talent, but yet to establish a foothold on legit prospect status. That trade will feel like a kick in the gut the way Lind's trade felt.

Maybe we target a SS that projects to move to 3B in the future?

Yes that is reasonable until you wonder where this glut of SS the team has in minors plays? Lara and Gatewood already fit that profile. Yadiel Rivera is that result having to be moved off of SS. Franly Mallen another.

Truly believe the Team has a 10-12year solution in Arcia at SS.

If you're acquiring this SS to 3b type remember that offensive profiles don't usually match up. We're likely getting a soft hitting body that is lucky to max 15HRs in a season. Unless he has a .300 avg or a .350+OB, his OPS will be tough to reach .760 much less .800+

Time to trade Lucroy is slowly dwindling. If you ask me if a team wants him they will pay up before catchers/pitchers report. After that date passes the odds he gets traded will plummet. Once you get to spring training that is when you just roll with what you have.

The thing with Lucroy is that there's a wide range for his possible valuations. Prior to last year (which was admittedly a down season), it seemed like there were some executives who considered him the best catcher in baseball. And his remaining contract is obviously ridiculous.

It's not a stretch to say he is the most valuable trade asset in franchise history (assuming a team values him based on peak talent rather than his 2015 stats), so I don't think 3 top-100 prospects is remotely out of the question. Not holding my breath, but also wouldn't be surprised.

With the reports coming that the Brewers are still actively talking on Lucroy I get the feeling a trade is coming before the season yet.

That makes the most sense for the Brewers, as there is too much chance an injury could occur, and "team control" will get less as time passes. The upside of keeping him is minimal, but the downside (concussion knocking him out of baseball) is tremendous. Stearns is not going to give him away if there is no market, but I'd guess that he wants to make a deal before Spring Training.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Dave Cameron on his latest fangraphs chat had this to say...

"I have heard the ask on Lucroy is insane"

Clearly Stearns is shooting for the moon.

He better be. Surrendering Lucroy for a couple low level prospects would be insane. That nobody's met his asking price probably has a lot to do with the concussion concerns and his off year in 2015 and Stearns is right to gamble that those will be answered in 2016.

Stearns is right to gamble that those will be answered in 2016

Much of the high hopes for a fairly rapid turnaround for the Brewers rests on getting a good return for Lucroy. Therefore, the "gamble" would be that the future of the organization rests on the chance a foul tip or a backswing catch Lucroy on the head. If I'm in the playoff hunt, I may be willing to that the concussion risk and stick with Lucroy. In the Brewers' situation, that's a huge risk to take.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Much of the high hopes for a fairly rapid turnaround for the Brewers rests on getting a good return for Lucroy. Therefore, the "gamble" would be that the future of the organization rests on the chance a foul tip or a backswing catch Lucroy on the head. If I'm in the playoff hunt, I may be willing to that the concussion risk and stick with Lucroy. In the Brewers' situation, that's a huge risk to take.

Agreed. This also applies to Will Smith. Except in Smith's case an injury could be replaced with one or two blown-up innings in relief. Deal them both now while its predictable.

Count me in the category that believes a Lucroy trade is on the horizon. I get the sense this is something they are going to want to get done over the next month. This is assuming of course that some suitable offers are out there, but I am going to stay optimistic in that regard. Using the Gallardo trade as an example last year, the trade conversations reportedly began at the Winter Meetings and continued for six weeks until news of the trade broke on January 18th. During that period very little information was leaked regarding the trade negotiations. I get the sense that something similar is going on currently, in terms of conversations that were sparked earlier in the off-season still developing at this point. It seems at any moment in the coming weeks that news could break on this front.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Count me in the category that believes a Lucroy trade is on the horizon.

I think if that was true the brewers would have not DFA'd Pinto. I understand that most of us on this board believe this trade would be best for the future of the team, but I don't want Sterns to trade our most valuable asset for less than what they got for Gomez. I would rather wait and see what happens rather than trade below fair value.

Count me in the category that believes a Lucroy trade is on the horizon.

I think if that was true the brewers would have not DFA'd Pinto. I understand that most of us on this board believe this trade would be best for the future of the team, but I don't want Sterns to trade our most valuable asset for less than what they got for Gomez. I would rather wait and see what happens rather than trade below fair value.

Gomez trade had Fiers so that factors in a lot to that outcome. If you want that type of package you will need to add a Peralta/Smith or someone else with value

Gomez for Santana Hader & Houser was more of the deal which still is pretty good as of right now.

I don't think Pinto being DFA'd has anything to do with Lucroy. We are loaded with similar catchers all competing this season.

I'm happy they are holding out for best deal. With the NL so down this season it'd be great if one of those competitive teams needed a catcher (most don't). I want to trade him but for a good return. My guess is we waste a season by keeping him & hope he regains his old value. At same time Gomez was not good last season and still helped bring back a good haul.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

At same time Gomez was not good last season and still helped bring back a good haul.

That's the thing. I think most GMs look at more than one season to determine a player's value. Lucroy has been one of the best catchers in baseball, so I doubt a somewhat disappointing season last year will significantly reduce his value, especially when much of the disappointment can be attributed to injuries that in and of themselves shouldn't impact his future performance (i.e. he doesn't have a permanently balky back like Lind).

Other GMs will, of course, use his 2015 offensive numbers to try to bargain for a cheaper price tag, but they (and Stearns) know that if they want a catcher Lucroy is the best choice available, and there isn't anyone else even close.

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Huh... I forgot that the Gallardo trade happened that late in the offseason.

Other GMs will, of course, use his 2015 offensive numbers concussion to try to bargain for a cheaper price tag

Fixed. His numbers being down pale in comparison to the risk of not coming back from that concussion.

Gomez trade had Fiers so that factors in a lot to that outcome. If you want that type of package you will need to add a Peralta/Smith or someone else with value

Gomez for Santana Hader & Houser was more of the deal which still is pretty good as of right now.

i understand that, and nobody knows how much more the brewers got for throwing in Fiers. My point is that the brewers need to get 2 top prospects. I'd throw in Smith to sweeten the pot, but i would keep every controllable starter they got.

My guess is we waste a season by keeping him & hope he regains his old value. At same time Gomez was not good last season and still helped bring back a good haul.

In my opinion, he doesn't have to regain his old value. He did that in July , August, and September where he OPS'd over .800. I don't think you can hold a broken toe and a concussion against him.

And he is staying in shape this winter -

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/161935828/lucroy-brothers-pushing-each-other-in-workouts

Archived