Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals

Luke99
That's the thing, Lucroy's value is completely and totally dependent on his ability to catch. As a catcher, he's worth a top prospect. As a first baseman, he's completely worthless.

Not saying he's a terrible first baseman, just that first basemen with his numbers are a dime a dozen, catchers with his numbers are rare.

Agreed. One thing I like about Lucroy is that I feel like if you told him you thought he wasn't a catcher, he'd punch you. Just seems like a catcher down to his DNA. I think that mentality might help him in the eyes of baseball lifer guys in MLB (grit, battling, etc), so I doubt there's a shortage of suitors for him as a catcher.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Of all the teams that would be interested in Lucroy - and all the teams that match up with our desire for younger prospect types - I still see Texas and Washington as the best fits. Both are older clubs with a window of 2-3 years of contention. They need to strike now, and Lucroy fits the bill perfectly (position need, cheap, good). Both clubs have been looking to improve their offense of late - it just makes too much sense for something not to happen.

Of all the teams that would be interested in Lucroy - and all the teams that match up with our desire for younger prospect types - I still see Texas and Washington as the best fits. Both are older clubs with a window of 2-3 years of contention. They need to strike now, and Lucroy fits the bill perfectly (position need, cheap, good). Both clubs have been looking to improve their offense of late - it just makes too much sense for something not to happen.

I agree. I think Lucroy gets traded and I think to either Texas or Washington. Both teams have the system to make it happen and have a need at catcher.

Stearns/Attanasio comments are a smoke screen. No way they come out and say, "Yeah, we plan to trade Lucroy asap."

I also firmly believe the offers Stearns received this winter are still open, but he is waiting to see if a team will crack and up the ante before opening day. Hold out as long as possible to get one or two more players.

LuCroys value goes down once opening day starts.

I'm not sure I agree. As many have noted, it well could do either depending on his health and his game. I'd rather gamble on selling higher and not risk a lesser return. If a trade doesn't pan out, whether for lack of a good match or if the Brewers are just sincere about their disinterest in trading him, we still have a very affordable catcher who may still be one of the league's best.

(Side note: Jonathan Lucroy is our catcher. Matthew LeCroy used to play for the Twins. Only LeCroy capitalizes the C. Noting this only because I've seen this a few times.)

Until pitchers and catchers report I will still stand in the group that expects Lucroy to be traded. After that I think the chance he is a Brewers come opening day dramatically increases.

I think Texas pulls it off. They just make too much sense. A lot of times the perfect situation doesn't happen, but I think it might here.

Until pitchers and catchers report I will still stand in the group that expects Lucroy to be traded. After that I think the chance he is a Brewers come opening day dramatically increases.

I think Texas pulls it off. They just make too much sense. A lot of times the perfect situation doesn't happen, but I think it might here.

I agree. I think either Texas or Washington pulls the trigger (or Stearns pulls the trigger, whoever you think has the ball in their court). I was in the camp that thought waiting until the deadline might increase his value but I'm swaying the other direction. I can't see a team in contention near the deadline want to switch catchers and have to have all their pitchers build that rapport during a time when every game has increased meaning. If it doesn't happen before pitchers and catchers report I think he's makes it through the season a Brewer.

Good to see Texas and Washington being thrown around as the top suitors. Both have guys they don't want to give up, but both realize that the first team to add one of those guys ends up with Lucroy.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

some team will cave as they believe they are a WS contender.

This is why I go think it will be Texas or Washington. Both have teams that are older and poised to be contenders. They also have histories of making splashy moves. The door to contention for these teams is the next few seasons, so a move to add Lucroy (and possibly Davis or Smith or Peralta or whomever) is now.

I see Washington as more desperate - with their window of Bryce Harper being three years. Texas has a lot of depth, so they can handle losing some prospects.

Lucroy batted .290 with an OPS of .808 the second half of the season

Yeah, he was basically the same player he's been in the second half. I don't think teams should be too concerned about that.

You don't think teams should be concerned, but that doesn't mean they're not. I understand his career should speak for itself, as should the second half of the season last year.

But I'm telling you, before any team gives up their top prospect, they're going to have to feel real comfortable he is back at 100%. I'm hoping he comes to ST and rips the ball all over the yard, and that's when someone like the Nationals or Rangers will step up. Hopefully even get into a bidding war.

I personally think that Washington will be where he ends up. The window with Harper is closing, and Lucroy fills an obvious need for them. Giolito is a pipe dream, but Turner should be the starting point for this trade. I think you get Turner+ without including a Smith in the deal, but with him the return gets much more intriguing. I would personally be shocked if Luc is part of this team on Opening Day. IMO a deal should be done by the first week of March at the latest. I think the Brewers do themselves a disservice, return-wise, by holding on to him through the break, or God forbid, through the end of the year if he has a bad start to the year or gets injured. Just my two cents....

Trea Turner + is my hope. And if the "+" is one or two low-level high-ceiling pitchers, it becomes my dream scenario. A Turner/Arcia/Phillips/? up-the-middle combo is just so tantalizing.

I think this is becoming my hope as well. I love the speed and average combo that Arcia, Phillips and Turner could all possibly bring up the middle. Add Domingo Santana to that in LF and you are starting to talk about a real solid young core at four positions.

And if, and I am really crossing my fingers here on this one but I have always loved his approach, Garin Cecchini can just manage to put up a line similar somewhere between his 2013 AA (.296/.420/.404) and 2014 AAA seasons (.263/.341/.371) for a line of (.280/.380/.385) we might have something going here. Even though he doesn't have much HR pop, we wouldn't need Cecchini to be much more than a doubles machine with that line.

I know, I know...hope springs eternal. However, I am very optimistic about what that offensive core could bring if they reach even 80% of their potential.

LuCroys value goes down once opening day starts.

(Side note: Jonathan Lucroy is our catcher. Matthew LeCroy used to play for the Twins. Only LeCroy capitalizes the C. Noting this only because I've seen this a few times.)

I've mentioned this before and believe he does it on purpose, thinking it's cute or something. I hate it when people don't spell the name of a player on your favorite team correctly (Zach v. Zack drives me nuts and people still do it). It's even worse when someone knows they are doing it wrong but do it anyway. /OCD rant over.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I've mentioned this before and believe he does it on purpose, thinking it's cute or something. I hate it when people don't spell the name of a player on your favorite team correctly (Zach v. Zack drives me nuts and people still do it). It's even worse when someone knows they are doing it wrong but do it anyway. /OCD rant over.

I also love "Curt" Russell in Big Trouble in Little China...

Sorry Raw...I couldn't help it :laughing

Yeah this is a pipe dream but hear me out.

What about Lucroy + Smith/Davis/any relatively valuable piece for Turner + Robles

Please don't wake me up.

I have always liked a Lucroy/Davis package to Texas, but that Hamilton guy is kind of in the way. Heck even a package with Lucroy/Davis/Smith would look really nice for Texas. Probably talking way to many prospects to be throwing around though.

Yeah this is a pipe dream but hear me out.

What about Lucroy + Smith/Davis/any relatively valuable piece for Turner + Robles

Please don't wake me up.

I have always liked a Lucroy/Davis package to Texas, but that Hamilton guy is kind of in the way. Heck even a package with Lucroy/Davis/Smith would look really nice for Texas. Probably talking way to many prospects to be throwing around though.

I mentioned something about a blockbuster with Texas using Luc/Davis/Smith. But Texas would have to unload a ton of talent to us. How about Tate/Ortiz/Matuella as a starting point? Three pitchers with tons of upside. I can dream. And then there's Gallo, Brinson and Mazara - lots of upside there.

The one thing that really works is that Luc/Smith/Davis only make about $6.5M - meaning any team can really afford them. The cost to get all three - that's a different story - but it would be fascinating to pull off such a trade.

I don't think Hamilton would be a huge obstacle. Texas isn't paying him very much - I think something like $5-6M - the Angels are picking up the rest. With the age and injury history of of Prince, Hamilton and Choo, you could find everyone plenty of ABs. And Texas is really left handed reliant - so Davis and Luc are perfect.

Anyone else have that weird feeling that something is about to break. Just have this weird feeling that we are about to hear about a big trade...I have no clue why

I think one of the posters here said every time he goes on vacation the Brewers trade someone. Maybe we should pitch in for a "staycation" at a local hotel or something. ;)

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Anyone else have that weird feeling that something is about to break. Just have this weird feeling that we are about to hear about a big trade...I have no clue why

Yes, me too. I keep showing up here fully expecting to read about a Lucroy trade. Still think it'll happen before Pitchers & Catchers report, and honestly any minute now!

Trea Turner for Lucroy straight up is my dream trade but I'm hardly expecting that.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived