Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals

Luke99
Who the heck plays C if Lucroy does get traded? Even if we are rebuilding I don't want to see Maldonado every day behind the plate. Yuck. Do we even have any in house candidates? No one else on the 40 man. Wiesenberger maybe? At least he has one very good specific tool in his walk rate. No idea if he is considered a good defensive catcher. Pretty solid caught stealing percentage.

It doesn't make much of a difference. We're not competing anytime soon, so we can put a pan of lasagna behind the plate for all I care.

For the most part, I agree, but at what point does it become a detriment to the development of a young pitcher(s)?

I recall Maldonado consistently communicating to his pitchers about mechanics (by tapping his shoulder or somehow otherwise gesturing to the area he's emphasizing).

I know his offense won't be good, but I think Maldonado will be an asset to young pitchers, not to mention he's a good defender as well.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Regarding Maldonado, I'd be okay giving him a shot at more playing time.

First, I hope the team told him to get in better shape. He looked really heavy last year, and I hope he was told to be ready to take on more of a load - and thus be healthier.

Second, as others have said, Maldonado is a good defensive catcher who supposedly works well with pitchers. I'm okay with that as a starting point since we're going to have so many young guys on the staff this year (and in the next few seasons).

Is he a long term answer? Is he going to get 500 ABs? Probably not, but he serves the purpose of helping develop our young guys. And if he takes the opportunity to heart, maybe he'll be in better shape this year, and hit better.

I'm okay letting the other guys we have fight it out for back up, including Weisenberg, who I think will be an okay reserve.

While I don't care about the offense a catcher gives us I don't think it "just doesn't matter". It would be nice to have someone who can lead the pitching staff and provide good defense. I just don't know that Maldonado is that guy.

if Luc want to be on a winning team, he should waive that no trade list. Washington should be a contender and they'd be a good fit. if they won't trade turner (which i kinda doubt they would), a package of fedde/robles/franco and wilson ramos would be pretty good. arcia and turner up the middle would be pretty amazing though.

Luc wants out but also wants his pick of teams intresting.

To be fair, he probably didn't "want out" when he signed that contract and made this list...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

While I don't care about the offense a catcher gives us I don't think it "just doesn't matter". It would be nice to have someone who can lead the pitching staff and provide good defense. I just don't know that Maldonado is that guy.

Defense is supposed to be the best skill Maldonado possesses.

While I agree the catching situation will get ugly, I think we are much better off trading Lucroy than keeping him. I believe something like this has been discussed in another thread, but we can always trade for a catcher when we are competitive again. I think the danger of Lucroy getting another concussion this year or next year is high enough that we trade him when we get a reasonable offer. I hope he does well on his new team and goes on to be All Star, but we need the prospects more than above average catching for the next two or three years.

To me, a bigger reason to try and trade Lucroy before the season if a good enough offer is made is his contract. Two things are what will make him most valuable to a good team needing a catcher.

1. He's a good all around catcher at a position hard to find good two way catchers.

2. His contract. Lucroy will be vastly underpaid for the next two seasons, making him even more valuable than just the skills he provides. So the longer he remains on the Brewers, the less valuable his team friendly contract gets.

It is more about leading the pitching staff and I just don't think he is the guy for that. I have never been impressed how he calls a game. Also while his defense is decent it isn't anything special. Every once in a while he throws a laser to 2nd, but overall it is average to me. I think people think he is better than he really is because we watch Lucroy on a daily basis. No offense to Lucroy but his arm and throws leave a lot to be desired.

If it's Washington, first of all Lucroy would have to waive his no-trade, but there is a hidden advantage there for both clubs.

If the Nationals send Wilson Ramos to Milwaukee in the deal, Washington's payroll actually goes down. Lucroy over Ramos is what Washington is after, and the cost savings the Nats would get should help the Brewers out a little bit in negotiations.

I'm sure Washington won't let go of Lucas Giolito, but after that I don't think anyone should be off the table. If not Trea Turner, then I want Victor Robles and Erick Fedde, if the Brewers can pull another teen "maybe" in the deal, then get that too.

Ramos, Robles and Fedde, the Brewers give up Lucroy, and the Brewers actually add 1.35M to the payroll.

It is more about leading the pitching staff and I just don't think he is the guy for that. I have never been impressed how he calls a game. Also while his defense is decent it isn't anything special. Every once in a while he throws a laser to 2nd, but overall it is average to me. I think people think he is better than he really is because we watch Lucroy on a daily basis. No offense to Lucroy but his arm and throws leave a lot to be desired.

Do you really know how well Maldonado calls a game?

If not Maldy, there are 20 scrap-heap veteran leaders (some could even be brought out of retirement) to play good defense and call a good game.

If it's Washington, first of all Lucroy would have to waive his no-trade, but there is a hidden advantage there for both clubs.

If the Nationals send Wilson Ramos to Milwaukee in the deal, Washington's payroll actually goes down. Lucroy over Ramos is what Washington is after, and the cost savings the Nats would get should help the Brewers out a little bit in negotiations.

I'm sure Washington won't let go of Lucas Giolito, but after that I don't think anyone should be off the table. If not Trea Turner, then I want Victor Robles and Erick Fedde, if the Brewers can pull another teen "maybe" in the deal, then get that too.

Ramos, Robles and Fedde, the Brewers give up Lucroy, and the Brewers actually add 1.35M to the payroll.

Love this trade and that is more where I am at except I am all in Franco coming back with Robles. He has so much potential as a corner IF which is something we could really start to infuse into the system. Feddie would be alright though. Im not overly high on him but getting one pitcher back would be nice.

With Robles our OF of the future is insane, if these guys develop, we will be able to fill a future super star OF and have many more trade pieces to fill the holes we need to elsewhere.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Turner/Giolito and Ramos for Lucroy is what I want if we are doing business with Washington. I ideally would like an ace type pitching prospect over a gaggle of prospects for Lucroy. I would do Giolito for Lucroy straight up. However, if we had to settle, I think filling the keystone with Turner to go with Arcia wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Turner/Giolito and Ramos for Lucroy is what I want if we are doing business with Washington. I ideally would like an ace type pitching prospect over a gaggle of prospects for Lucroy. I would do Giolito for Lucroy straight up. However, if we had to settle, I think filling the keystone with Turner to go with Arcia wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Throw in Will Smith and call it a day.

If we are tossing in Will Smith then I want a younger (17-19 age) player with higher upside tossed in the mix as well. Someone like a Diaz-type player.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wouldn't consider Smith to be a "throw in" in any deal. Thornburg or Blazek, maybe, but Smith has quite a bit of value on his own. His inclusion would have to substantially improve the return.

If Smith once again thrives especially in the closer role (guessing him and Jeffress will be sharing the duties), his value will be on par with what the market has been for relievers as of late. You absolutely do not throw Smith or Jeffress in. Those are back in guys who could bring at least two good prospects back a piece..... Smith with a great year or first half could bring 3-4.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I wouldn't consider Smith to be a "throw in" in any deal. Thornburg or Blazek, maybe, but Smith has quite a bit of value on his own. His inclusion would have to substantially improve the return.

If Smith once again thrives especially in the closer role (guessing him and Jeffress will be sharing the duties), his value will be on par with what the market has been for relievers as of late. You absolutely do not throw Smith or Jeffress in. Those are back in guys who could bring at least two good prospects back a piece..... Smith with a great year or first half could bring 3-4.

If Smith gets us Giolito, I would throw him in without thinking twice. Giolito is a consensus top 10 prospect in all of baseball and the #1 pitching prospect in all of baseball. He's got future ace written all over him. I doubt the Nationals would ever trade him, but if Lucroy and Smith would pry him away I would do it without hesitation.

Throw in was probably bad wording on his part. No chance we get Giolito for Lucroy...not even close straight up. Will Smith would sweeten the pot and bring the needed value to pair with Lucroy for Giolito. That is what I think he was trying to say.

Though to me that still wouldn't be close to enough. To be honest Giolito is virtually untouchable no matter what a team is trying to give Washington. Giolito is the top pitching prospect in baseball and almost major league ready. Actually he could start for us next year and probably make the rest of the rotation look like fools. With Strasburg likely leaving keeping Giolito is most likely a priority for the Nationals.

Archived