Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals

Luke99
  • Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Braun called Lucroy in wake of Lucroy's comments on rebuild: "I made it clear to him that's not how we're going to handle the situation."

Regardless of what we, the fans, think of Lucroys continued comments about the organization, I think this insight into what his own teammates think about his outspokenness is ..... interesting.

That's easy for Braun to say. He has $95 million reasons to chill about the next 3 years of losing. Luc doesn't have that luxury, which is just the reality of him signing what turned out to be a bad contract.

Yes we all know he needs to not complain about money on a contract he signed but the reality of the situation is, as they say, what it is.

Yes, so noble of Braun, who's got a nice cushy long-term deal, to smack down the guy whose team won't give him one.

Not to mention, I don't feel like Braun is in any sort of position to lecture someone on how to conduct themselves to the media.

Yes, so noble of Braun, who's got a nice cushy long-term deal, to smack down the guy whose team won't give him one.

Not to mention, I don't feel like Braun is in any sort of position to lecture someone on how to conduct themselves to the media.

Last time I checked, Lucroy wasn't forced to sign the deal he did. And Braun has every right as a veteran in that locker room, and the best player on that team, to tell Lucroy to knock it off and play ball. Attitude is everything in baseball. Maybe the reason why Lucroy struggled so much is that he has a bad attitude. Either way, he needs to fall in line and play baseball to his ability and let the record fall where it will.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Last time I checked, Lucroy wasn't forced to sign the deal he did. And Braun has every right as a veteran in that locker room, and the best player on that team, to tell Lucroy to knock it off and play ball. Attitude is everything in baseball. Maybe the reason why Lucroy struggled so much is that he has a bad attitude. Either way, he needs to fall in line and play baseball to his ability and let the record fall where it will.

I never said anything about Lucroy's deal so I'm not sure why you're quoting me but talking about how Ryan called his own press conference, bashed the media, bashed other people, etc -- when he knew he was in the wrong.

In order to not get off topic - and really, I don't care about that anymore with Braun - but being a leader (as I agree it's Braun) doesn't mean you get special privileges. Braun spoke his mind before and looked really stupid doing it, but now he's complaining because Lucroy answered a question truthfully? I don't know, I know I'm one of the few but Luc's comments didn't bother me at all, so probably why I'm not quick to defend Braun on his "media credentials".

If Lucroy is doing all this because he is upset for signing a bad deal and not getting a new one this just supports how badly he needs to be kicked to the curb.

If Braun is telling him to stop then I am guessing it isn't good for the locker room. Sure Braun got caught up back with the PEDs, but outside of that he talks to the media exactly how one should. Not try and stir up controversy etc.

I think Luc was taken out of context too. But Ryan's position is the right one. If you happen to be right, the past doesn't matter.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Haha, I love the range of reactions whenever Braun says or does something. Oh well.

Braun is still the face of the franchise, Lucroy will be gone sooner or latter.

haters gonna hate!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

We always complain of lack of leadership and here is a great example of a veteran who's been around, made mistakes, and probably wants to win more than most on that team telling another veteran to cool it with what he says. Braun is the Milwaukee Brewers right now and that is okay people. Everyone makes mistakes and Braun has been nothing but a stand up citizen and teammate since the incident. Lucroy signed the deal now zip it and play your behind off. The rest will take care of itself. Either way, I am somewhat glad Luc exposed his true colors because there were a lot of people blind to him and his ways. A catcher needs to be the leader of the team and this past year or two, Luc hasn't displayed the leadership needed from our catcher.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That's easy for Braun to say. He has $95 million reasons to chill about the next 3 years of losing. Luc doesn't have that luxury, which is just the reality of him signing what turned out to be a bad contract.

Yes we all know he needs to not complain about money on a contract he signed but the reality of the situation is, as they say, what it is.

I don't really see his contract as a negative. He's probably say he'd do it again if he had it all over. He got his deal as a 2nd year player. He'd be on his 3rd arb year before Free Agency. Matt Wieters just got 8.3mil last season....Former #1 prospect. Castro and Ellis as 2nd year arbs got 4 and 4.25mil respectively. What Lucroy is being paid this season. Wilson Ramos a very talented catcher but injury filled history 2nd year 3.55mil.

Money history isn't great for Catchers. Lucroy locking in guaranteed money for 1 cheap Option year as a Catcher? Remember You could slide in to Catchers when he signed his deal. Buster Posey had just broken his leg in 2011. How great is the prospect to catch beyond another 6years? 1 injury like that, may have derailed his career. At least he guaranteed 10mil+ was going to be paid to him.

Also, what complaint has Lucroy made about his contract? Aside from 2years left on it and he's getting a 70win rebuilding team to play for through it?

I don't have any problem with Lucroy being honest when asked if he'd prefer to be traded given the circumstances. I'd rather be traded also if i was him.

He did also say that if he isn't traded, once it came time to play, he'd play as hard as he always does.

Why should he lie when pretty much any player in his position would rather play for a team competing for a playoff berth vs on an obvious rebuilding team that has no shot at all of making the playoffs?

I agree I am sick of politically correct answers from athletes all the time, he was honest and candid just like he was last year on his weekly radio interviews with WSSP which he said then he doesn't want to be around losing.

We all just have to be patient, Lucroy will be traded at some point as he won't sign an extension with the Brewers, if I were a GM and my catching situation stunk mid-season I would have no problem trading for a catcher that has an OPS in the mid 700's. The notion that he can't be moved midseason seems like nonsense to me.

Jonathan Lucroy falls into the category of being a nice personality on a winning team. He really isn't afraid to speak his mind and be very vocal. However, that kind of personality is not for a losing team. The comments end up in a bad place and it stirs a pot. Suddenly you have a guy complaining about how he doesn't want to be on the team and talking bad about his teammates indirectly by saying the team will be bad this year. I would be pretty ticked if a guy is saying how we will suck as a team when he wasn't so great himself last year. I am sure his comments rubbed some the wrong way in the clubhouse.

Did Luc say he wanted to be traded? All I really got is that he'd prefer winning. I'd expect that from any player.

Lucroy said he doesn't want to lose and is all about winning. Well the next two years we will not be winning so, yes, I think he inferred he wants to be traded. However, I don't think he demanded a trade...more he would totally be in favor of him being traded to a contender.

Did Luc say he wanted to be traded? All I really got is that he'd prefer winning. I'd expect that from any player.

Nope, just said he wanted to win and the Brewers are not going to be good soon. I would expect every player to say they want to win if they are being honest. He even went on to say he would not dog it.

I agree I am sick of politically correct answers from athletes all the time, he was honest and candid just like he was last year on his weekly radio interviews with WSSP which he said then he doesn't want to be around losing.

We all just have to be patient, Lucroy will be traded at some point as he won't sign an extension with the Brewers, if I were a GM and my catching situation stunk mid-season I would have no problem trading for a catcher that has an OPS in the mid 700's. The notion that he can't be moved midseason seems like nonsense to me.

Why would we want to extend him? He will be in his thirties pretty soon. I hope we trade him soon because it will make the rebuild shorter.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Jonathan Lucroy falls into the category of being a nice personality on a winning team. He really isn't afraid to speak his mind and be very vocal. However, that kind of personality is not for a losing team. The comments end up in a bad place and it stirs a pot. Suddenly you have a guy complaining about how he doesn't want to be on the team and talking bad about his teammates indirectly by saying the team will be bad this year. I would be pretty ticked if a guy is saying how we will suck as a team when he wasn't so great himself last year. I am sure his comments rubbed some the wrong way in the clubhouse.

He was asked a question and answered it honestly, nothing more to it than that. It's not as if Lucroy put out a demand to be traded and that say he wouldn't show up to spring training if a trade isn't made.

Lucroy also wasn't talking bad about his teammates indirectly by saying the team will be bad this year. He was simply stating the obvious which everyone already knows, that teams who strip down as the Brewers currently are doing, they almost always are bad for at least a year or two, it's just a matter of what degree of bad. So he said he'd very much welcome a trade to a better team if the opportunity presents itself, but if not, that he'd play as hard as he always would if a trade doesn't happen.

I guess he could have lied when asked the question, even though everyone with a brain larger than a pea would know he's lying about how he feels on this subject. Not sure what the harm/difference is either way, so long as Lucroy does his best if no trade happens before the season starts and i suspect he would do his best until the likely inevitable trade did go down.

I see this talk a lot when it comes to Lucroy's comments, even from last year. I appreciate his honesty, and of course I wish more athletes were like him instead of being cryptic and cliche, and in some cases just plain brainwashed.

HOWEVER, what I don't agree with is the content itself. He put his opinion out there, and I appreciate that, but his opinion is what I disagree with. I reckon there's some in baseball who agree with him, but I don't think most players feel the same. If so, why does this sport even exist. It's too hard, I'm away from my family (by choice mind you, they make enough to have their families stay wherever), etc. His whole premise for the last year plus has been the team that has given every chance in the world to succeed and flourish, isn't worth it because they're currently not very good. I have a distinct problem with that.

Archived